Subject: (usr-tc) 4.2.32 and Quads in "BusyOut"

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 01:59:54 +0000

Hi,

One thing I've noticed since going to 4.2.32 on my ARCs is that my
monitoring script shows at least 4 to 8 modems per chassis busied out.  A
software reset on just the modem will bring it back...

Is this a known issue?  The only thing that changed was the ARC upgrade,
quads have been running the latest since it came out.  Also, "list
int" will show all of the modems "UP/UP" even when they are busied out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

-- 
=-----------------=                                        = 
| Charles Sprickman                       Internet Channel |
| INCH System Administration Team         (212)243-5200    |
| [email-masked]                          [email-masked]  |
=                                         =----------------=

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:20:02 +0000

How do you monitor the busied out ones, how do you find them?

>int" will show all of the modems "UP/UP" even when they are busied out.

Thanks, Greg Coffey                               <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications  V 307-234-5443    F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center Suite #100, Casper, WY  82601    www.vcn.com
_________________________________________________________
Fight spam now!
Get your free anti-spam service at http://www.brightmail.com

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 03:05:42 +0000

> How do you monitor the busied out ones, how do you find them?

With a very ugly bug-ridden script I wrote in perl...  Trust me, you don't
want it.  It would take more time to set it up for your site than it would
for you to write your own :)

Here's the OIDs I look at:

# chassis items
$oid_chas_opstat=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.chs.uchasEnt
ity.uchasEntityTable.uchasEntityEntry.uchasEntityOperStatus";
$oid_chas_ps=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.chs.uchasPowerSu
pply.uchasPowerSupplyTable.uchasPowerSupplyEntry.uchasPowerSupplyOperStatus";
$oid_chas_ps_out=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.chs.uchasPow
erSupply.uchasPowerSupplyOutTable.uchasPowerSupplyOutEntry.uchasPowerSupplyOutWa
rnings";
$oid_chas_env=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.chs.uchasEnviro
n.uchasEnvironTable.uchasEnvironEntry.uchasEnvironStatus"; 

#nmc items
$oid_nmc_stat=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmc
StatStatus";
$oid_nmc_temp=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmc
StatTemperature";
$oid_nmc_test=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmc
StatPowerUpTstFailures"; 

#ds0-level items (PRI/T1 card only)
$oid_ds0_stat=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.ds0.ds0StatTabl
e.ds0StatEntry.ds0StatDs0";
$oid_ds0_statmodem=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.ds0.ds0Sta
tTable.ds0StatEntry.ds0StatModem";  

#ds0-level items (HiPer DSP)
$oid_rds0_stat=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.rds0.usrds0Sta
tTable.usrds0StatEntry.usrds0StatDs0";
$oid_rds0_statserv=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.rds0.usrds
0StatTable.usrds0StatEntry.usrds0StatDs0SrvcState";  

#ds1-level items (PRI/T1 card only)
$oid_ds1_curstat=".iso.org.dod.internet.experimental.ds1.ds1CurrentTable.ds1Curr
entEntry";

#ds1-level items (HiPer DSP)
$oid_dsx1_curstat="transmission.ds1.dsx1CurrentTable.dsx1CurrentEntry";  

I'm sure there's some stuff missing, but this catches a number of little
things and emails me more often than it should...

Any other ideas on things to look at?

To see call-failure rates, I think I'd have to get chassis accounting set
up and all, which is a whole 'nother project.  Or look at my radacct logs
in mysql for patterns...

Charles

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:25:43 +0000

I have the same problem. My telco usually calls to complain about the
quantity of wink failures in their morning reports, then I use TCM to
monitor Perfomance > Session Monitor > DS0 > All Channels > DS0 Stats (all
tests) to display the status of the T1 channels on the T1 or PRI card.

It could be a modem code problem. We are still running 5.10.9 because the
last time I tried the new 6.X code the phone rang off the wall due to
connection problems. That was before the latest Arc code and I have been
hesitant to try again. I see about 6 modems per week hung up in this manner.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 5:56 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) 4.2.32 and Quads in "BusyOut"

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:02:32 +0000

WOW! Your telco actually called you to let you know there was a problem...
that must be nice.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:10:39 +0000

The switch room guys and the hi-cap wiring folks are very friendly and
helpful. It is the upper management that gets in the way. They are really
good at making simple things into hard work for their own employees.
Sometimes the employees just want to get it fixed...

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 4.2.32 and Quads in "BusyOut"

-

---

From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:08:20 +0000

Anybody ever heard of upgrading a HiPer ARC from 4.1.59 to 4.2.32-1 and
after the upgrade it still says the code is 4.1.59?

Bryan
NOC Technician
COX Internet

-

---

From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:13:45 +0000

Nm.  I just reboot the card and it came up correctly.  

Bryan
NOC Technician
COX Internet

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 11:03 AM
Subject: (usr-tc) Upgrading

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:17:03 +0000

Did you hard reset it (power cycle or "hardware reset" from TCM)?  If
you did, then the upgrade didn't "take."  I've never had that happen,
but I'm sure it's possible.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:57:27 +0000

Ok.  I just upgraded the DSP code from 1.0.8 to 2.0.51 and I now have 2 red
lights on my DSP card.  The 2 red lights are ALM and LPBK/D-ALM.  Is there a
problem with that version of code or did I over look something during the
upgrade.  The ARC card version is 4.2.32-1 and the NMC card is 5.5.5.  I did
the upgrade and then rebooted the card and after the reboot it came up with
the 2 alarms.  Since then I have had somebody pull out the card twice and
put it back in.  Any suggestions?

Bryan
NOC Technician
COX Internet

-

---

From: Ted Mecimore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:48:26 +0000

We are looking at merging two of our sites. One is using Bay 5399 (yech!) on
Merit Radius. I would like to know if any has a TC doing Merit and what
adventures may await me on this issue. TIA

 -- 
Ted Mecimore
Operations Manager
Vista Technology

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:20:55 +0000

Anyone have any additional thoughts on this?  It has to be ARC-related,
because we didn't see the quads going into busy-out until the upgrade from
4.1.72 to 4.2.32...  If I bring the quads back in service, it holds for a
week or so and then the number of busied modems slowly increases...

Krish?  Seen this?

Thanks,

Charles

-