Subject: (usr-tc) I just can't put my finger on it...

From: Jaye Mathisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 00:18:35 +0000

TC NMC 5.5.5, quad modems, PRI.

quad modem picks up on an analog call, but never generates the carrier
tone...

SO the customer just hears dead air...

I know there was something for this, maybe modem mapping or somesuch, but
it's escaping me.

Any tips appreciated.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:30:52 +0000

> TC NMC 5.5.5, quad modems, PRI.
No NETServer? Hiper ARC? in this configuration?

Are you using just the NMC/Quad?
Are you using a device attached via the Quad cables terminate the call?
If so the device attached to the Quad is responsible to provide the DTR

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: Jaye Mathisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:39:14 +0000

Yes, it has a netserver card.  Sorry, should've made that clear.

-

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:47:00 +0000

> Yes, it has a netserver card.  Sorry, should've made that clear.
The modems must be active on the netserver card.  I guess you did configure the 
Netserver for the same.  If the modems are active and as soon as you place a 
call if the call drops, setup a syslog server, and grab syslogs from the 
netserver.  The syslog will tell you what is happening to the call.

-V

> > > I know there was something for this, maybe modem mapping or
> somesuch,
> > > but
> > > it's escaping me.
> > > 
> > > Any tips appreciated.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > -

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: Jaye Mathisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:30:05 +0000

Well in this case, it weren't my fault.  The telco had loops on the
Intermachine trunks feeding the switch feeding my rack, so the rack was
merrily sending out the carrier tones, but the end-user never heard them
because of the loop.

WHich is where we were seeign the problem.

Few minutes with a T-BERD on our DSX panel showed us that we were
definitely generating tones...

-