Subject: (usr-tc) Still having problems with default routes disappearing

From: Mike McHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:27:22 +0000

Last week I mentioned that I have been having problems on several of my
chassis with the default route just disappearing. To this date I have still
not found a cause for this abnormal behavior. I am almost positive it is not
a configuration issue although I am still open to any suggestions as far as
that goes.

This problem just started occuring about a week ago and it does not recur
with any sort of pattern.  I am running 4.2.32-1 on the ARCs. I am also
running OSPF on the chassis now but I don't think it is a direct OSPF
problem. The things ran flawlessly for several weeks with OSPF routing and
4.2.32-1 before I started having this problem.

Has anyone been having any sort of odd problems with OSPF or 4.2.32-1? I
would really like to get this resolved and I am at a loss right now. Any
comments or suggestions would be appreciated...

Mike McHenry
 Systems Administrator
 MinnNet Communications, Inc.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 23:29:30 +0000

I had a problem with ALL my OSPF routes disappearing in certain cases,
usually when one of my Ciscos rebooted...  check the archives a few weeks
ago.  Up until the Ciscos rebooted (I did IOS upgrades) everything ran
perfectly, then just out of the blue, bang, no routing...

The apparent fix (read: it hasn't happened since) is to make sure all of
your non-3Com routers have an OSPF priority higher than 0 -- which keeps
the ARCs from becoming an OSPF designated router or backup designated
router.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

-