Subject: (usr-tc) Debugging ISDN / Ports

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 02:59:06 +0000

Hey all.  I have a problem that maybe someone can help me out with.

Right now we're using a USR TotalControl (NETserver) that has 48 V.90/ISDN
ports, currently only using up to 24 of them (due to 1 PRI).  We never
come close to filling up all the ports, so getting on is never a problem.

Lately for the past couple of months my ISDN (multilinked) to the TC has
been dropping for no apparant reason.  I remember when I first hooked up
my ISDN, I was able to stay connected for 16 days straight, and now it's
rare to say connected more than a day or two.  My last connect time was 4
days, before it dropped off.

I'm almost confident it is the telco causing me so many problems, which
only makes since.  I have replaced/tested 3 different pieces of equipment,
even at remote locations.  All equipment tests fine from other locations,
but just gives me problems at home.  Currently I've called in trouble
tickets on my line, the telco says everything is fine, it's my equipment
that's bad, etc.  Blah blah they don't know what they're talking about.
Due to the line dropping and redialing so much (my connection is suppose
to be damn near permanent if power is on), I've received massive phone
bills that I'm expected to pay.

What I'd really like to know is if the USR TC has some type debugging of
why a disconnect occurs, etc?  Our other modem pool (a Bay Networks Annex)
has a feature called 'histcall' where you can find out just about
anything.  Unfornautely due to my network I cannot dial into that pool, as
it isn't smart enough (yet) to route different subnets as well.

The logfile the USR TC makes over syslog isn't descriptive enough.  For
the curious, the current version running on the USR TC is:

Command> version
U.S. Robotics
Total Control (tm) NETServer Card V.34/ISDN with Frame Relay V3.8.1
  Build date: Aug 11 1998
  Build time: 13:49:21

  Network Interface Card: Ethernet & Frame Relay Combination (26)
  ISDN Interface Card   : MUNICH32 (4)
  Packet Bus Circuit    : Standard

Any information/help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.  I'm just
looking to find out whats wrong with my line without paying dearly for it,
and just continue service without disruptions.

Thanks,

Scott

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:17:41 +0000

> days, before it dropped off.

Need syslog to indentify what is happening.  Run syslog and then when your 
connection drops look at the syslog to identify the reason for disconnect

-V

-