Subject: (usr-tc) 486 NMC problems

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:37:29 +0000

Hello all

have a 486 based ARC card w/6.1.17 on it.

I'm trying to bring it up via TCM and and 3 things happen that
shouldn't.... i change the SNMP communities then do a 9 to save config,
reboot, but old values are still there.

The TX light never blinks and I cannot get the ZMODEM download (where you
are supposed to type AT{Z}) screen up no matter how many times I yank out
the NAC.

DIP 5 to on really does nothing either.

SInce the chassis is a NOT DSP based (has a dual PRI w/quads) what is the
correct NMC version (6.0.9?)

Or is it just plain bused?

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 05:41:16 +0000

Thus spake Paul Farber

>reboot, but old values are still there.

When the card boots up, does it give you a password prompt?  If so,
you'll need to type the current read-write SNMP community string
configured on it...if you type the read-only one, you get read-only
access on the console.

>The TX light never blinks and I cannot get the ZMODEM download (where
>you are supposed to type AT{Z}) screen up no matter how many times I
>yank out the NAC.

You won't get that with the 486 based code.  That only happens with the
HiPer code bases (for the HiPer NMC, the code rev is 6.2.17).  You need
to get pcsdl and use that to push the code to the NMC card over the
console (you'll need the sdl file also in this case...with a TCM
download you usually don't need the sdl for the NMC upgrade...with pcsdl
you will need it).

>correct NMC version (6.0.9?)

6.0.9 will work if you don't have any HiPer equipment in there, but if
you've got 16 megs of RAM and 8 megs of flash on the NMC, you might as
well go with the 6.1.17...its the same code, just with the support for
the HiPer cards added...someday down the road if you have this NMC card
in a chassis with HiPer cards, you'll be wondering why it isn't working.
:)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:33:24 +0000

when hooked into the console port it goes directly to the config menu.

TCM will just error out saying it cannot find the chassis.  I can ping it
though.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-