Subject: (usr-tc) Concurrency Problem in Security and Accounting Software ???

From: Tabellione Sebastian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:52:59 +0000

Hi, I have 1 TC and IÂ´m using S.A.S. 6.0.83...

The problem :

The Security and Accounting software not getting or not recordingdisconnects
properly.
It is an intermittent problem. What happensis that the software will record
someone connecting but when the disconnect is missed, the software will
still show a connection yet a check of the NAS shows the caller hung up.
Thus the caller will call back in and won't get authenticated because the
software says they have reached their limit on connections.

What can I do ???
The problem is de SAS or the TC ???

Regards.
Sebastian (Argentine)

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Charles Kimes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:43:33 +0000

Just my two cents, whatever that may actually be worth...

We currently use SAS as well, and the problem is in dropped Accounting 
packets, caused by either or both hardware/software.  That is the 
unfortunate mishap of concurrency control done totally in this manner. 
Because of this, we only enable concurrency control during "peak" usage hours.

We have started testing Cistron Radius on Linux, which initially uses 
Accounting packets for concurrency checking, however it does a 
"double-check" by using Telnet or SNMP (depending on the NAS) to match the 
user name against the Accounting data.  This seems much more reliable, and 
rather than making the mistake of rejecting a valid login, it can make the 
mistake of allowing a concurrent login from time to time, which in my book 
is much more desirable than the other.

Cistron also has a number of other useful features as well, and it's 
free!  http://www.miquels.cistron.nl/radius/

Charles Kimes, EagleNet

>The problem is de SAS or the TC ???

Charles Kimes, Administrator
EagleNet DataCommunications, Inc.
St. Marys, GA
[email-masked]

-