Subject: (usr-tc) resetting bad modems

From: Steve Cobb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:34:15 +0000

I have to TCR at two different POPs.  I'm using the Perl script posted by Kevin Mitchell to track modem failure rates.  (Thanks alot by the way.  It is extremely useful!)  Anyway, the busiest TCR has low failure rates on all three DSPs, somewhere in the 0.50% range.  On the other TCR, the rates on the two DSPs are very high.  Two modems are above 60% on over 300 calls and the rest are all in the 10% to 15% range.  What should I do about it??  I tried resetting the modems in TCR but that didn't seem to help..  Also, how do I reset the count in the PErl script?? Do I have to reset the NMC??

Thanks for your help,

Steve Cobb

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 00:05:02 +0000

At 01:28 PM 4/25/00 -0400, Steve Cobb wrote:
>I have to TCR at two different POPs.  I'm using the Perl script posted by
Kevin Mitchell to track modem failure rates.  (Thanks alot by the way.  It
is extremely useful!)  Anyway, the busiest TCR has low failure rates on all
three DSPs, somewhere in the 0..50% range.  On the other TCR, the rates on
the two DSPs are very high.  Two modems are above 60% on over 300 calls and
the rest are all in the 10% to 15% range.  What should I do about it??  I
tried resetting the modems in TCR but that didn't seem to help..  Also, how
do I reset the count in the PErl script?? Do I have to reset the NMC??

Why do people keep calling me Kevin?  :)

  Even 10-15% seems fairly high, once the modem's taken over 100 or so
calls I rarely see anything above 5% unless the modem's hung. The only way
to 'fix' hung modems is to hard reset the DSP. You can bypass the hung
modems individually by soft busying them until the card empties. The
hardware reboot will also reset the counts.
  In TCM, highlight the top set of lights on the desired DSP, then select
configure-actions/commands. Select "Timeslot", then highlight the desired
modems. In the command window, choose "software" and "soft busy out", then
click "Execute".
  Normally what I do is soft-busy the bad modems through peak evening
periods, then busy out the whole card later, when usage starts dropping
off. By morning, the card is empty and I can reset it.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000        http://www.keyconn.net

-