Subject: (usr-tc) I just HARCed up

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:26:00 +0000

The idea is to make a smooth transition from harc v4.0.30 to v4.1.22 by
putting in my cold-spare harc card in the chassis and upgrading that.
Then I can move dsps to it one at a time such that we're never down and
nobody gets arbitrarialy disconnected.

Before I stuck another harc in the chassis, tho, I figured I'd better
make sure that the dsps were owned by the existing harc so the new one
wouldn't try to grab 'em.

So I go into my semi-trusty HARM (v1.0.8), pick "Tables->Chassis
Configuration", and for each card, I select it, hit 'Edit', click
the 'owner' checkbox, and hit 'Ok'. Then click 'Set' to configure
the changes.

And immediately knock off all current connections, and begin refusing
calls with a fast busy.

I quickly go back in and put things back, and everything returns to
normal. So I guess my question is, "huh?".

I guess I have another question too, one which I should pose before
I do anything anyway. First, my relevant version numbers:

          s/w    h/w
   HDSP: 1.2.5  0.49.0
   HARC: 4.0.30 1.0.0
   NMC:  5.5.5  6.0
   TCMW: 5.5.1
   HARM: 1.0.8

I want to give hdsp v2.0.51 a shot as well as the aforementioned upgrade
of the harc to 4.1.22. I have a couple of concerns about this, however.
First off, my versions of nmc, tcmw, and harm are not listed in the
compatability lists in the release notes for the new harc/hdsp software
releases. And of course, those upgrades are unavailable to me since I
let my service contract expire last year. So, I'm stuck with
those. I can either use my system as it was represented to me when I
bought it and live with security problems on the harc (and relatively
broken code on the hdsps)....or I can upgrade to these current software
versions and lose the functionality of a nmc and windows-based management.
Or maybe it's not all that bad?

And is there an issue with the new hdsp version on v0.49.0 dsp hardware?
What's the summary on that one?

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.