Subject: (usr-tc) Stupid Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:33:55 +0000

Ok folks,

Sorry for the offtopic question but I've gone braindead and need a simple
question answered.  Can anyone tell me where the list is of root DNS
servers for the Internet is ?  I used to have it bookmarked but now I
can't find it.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:00:35 +0000

An easy way of getting a good list is using the `dig' command on a unix
box.

Scott

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:15:21 +0000

Like this:

spork@util[~]$ dig @a.root-servers.net

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         198.41.0.4
H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         128.63.2.53
C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         192.33.4.12
G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         192.112.36.4
F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         192.5.5.241
B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         128.9.0.107
J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     5w6d16h IN A    198.41.0.10
K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     5w6d16h IN A    193.0.14.129
L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     5w6d16h IN A    198.32.64.12
M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     5w6d16h IN A    202.12.27.33
I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         192.36.148.17
E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         192.203.230.10
D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     6D IN A         128.8.10.90

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200 
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:33:35 +0000

> can't find it.  Thanks in advance for the help.

<rant>

These off-topic posts really bug me, there are a dozen better mailing
lists and newsgroups.  What bugs me even more is people answering off
topic posts BACK TO THE LIST.  

If someone asks an off-topic question in a mailing list it wouldn't matter
if they said it was a life-or-death situation and I had written my PhD
thesis on their very question, I wouldn't answer them, either on or off
list.  It just encourages their very anti-social behavior.  If I had the
time, I'd send them the _wrong_ answer, but I'm too busy for that.  But
I'd certainly encourage anyone with more free time to do so, it would
decrease the signal/noise ratio of their inbox in the same way they are
destroying the utility of the mailinglist.

</rant>

--
Aaron Nabil

-