Subject: (usr-tc) SNMP limitations on NMC's

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:47:43 +0000

What's the plan on fixing the NMC's so they'll handle SNMP PDU's larger
than 1500 bytes (or whatever it is around that number that is the actual
limitation)?  Now that I'm starting to write some SNMP scripting...I'm
*quickly* running into this limitation, and its gonna really suck to
have to code around it.

Can the NMC's IP stack not reassemble or something?  Isn't that terribly
broken?
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:51:10 +0000

I thought they fixed this in NMC 6.x...?

In 5.x and earlier it would actually kill the whole IP stack on the card
and you had to reboot the NMC.  I thought I tested 6.1.7 and it didn't
kill the card anymore.

(They finally fixed all those off-by-one Radius accounting bugs too.)

Anyway, the reason I have that ma_snmp.pm wrapper around all my SNMP code
is because there's a workaround for that bug in there, among other
things...  It takes the array of OIDs you're going to query and breaks
them up into chunks small enough to make the card happy, then reassembles
the responses.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:58:17 +0000

Thus spake Mike Andrews

>and you had to reboot the NMC.  I thought I tested 6.1.7 and it didn't

Well...it is fixed so that it doesn't kill the Agent anymore.  But they
didn't fix it enough so that you can get responses to your large get.
Your get still times out...but at least you don't have to go back and
reboot the card (which is particularly difficult to do when you don't
have an functional SNMP Agent on it) now.

Oh...and it didn't seem to kill the whole IP stack for me...the card was
still pingable...just no SNMP response from it...like it killed the
agent.

>them up into chunks small enough to make the card happy, then reassembles

Yeah...I've been writing code today to do essentially that...at least
proof of concept code so I know how to do it...maybe now that I've
worked out the details of what I have to do to work around this
crazyness I can get back to actually writing useful code.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:03:51 +0000

Has anyone else tried to connect the new Dreamcast game machine to their TC
hub? It seems to be similar to a web TV box, but it should work from the
local mail server as well as dial-up. I have a new customer who is having
trouble getting connected and the error messages on my end show garbled
passwords or last letter dropped. It sounds similar to a previous problem,
but I don't recall the solution.

We are running 1.2.60 on the DSP, 5.9.9 on quads, 4.1.59-6 on ARC and 5.5.5
on NMC.

Thanks,
Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

-

---

From: Jamie Orzechowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:17:59 +0000

the Dreamcast uses and HCF modem ... whoopie!

Wonder if it's upgradable to later drivers??

----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 4:01 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Sega Dreamcast

-

---

From: Richard Lorbieski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:21:59 +0000

I had to add 1 comma at the end of the number.

-- 

Richard Lorbieski - [email-masked]
Chief Technical Officer - Senior System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet  http://www.alpha1.net
409.731.8236  - 877.4.alpha1 (877.425.7421)

-

---

From: "Andrew:PC Global, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:31:32 +0000

just curious as to why someone would attach this Dreamcast to a TC unit...
Thanks
Andrew
****************************
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Lorbieski <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Sega Dreamcast

--

-

-

---

From: Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:40:11 +0000

It can dialup for Internet Access.. We, the ISP's, reap the benefits.
*chuckle*

-- 
Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet <http://www.alpha1.net>
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x5645C228

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.

-

---

From: Brian Elfert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:53:29 +0000

> Wonder if it's upgradable to later drivers??

I would assume the drivers are on the Internet CD.  I wonder if Sega will
be upgrading the CDs, and at what price?

Brian

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:54:29 +0000

>We are running 1.2.60 on the DSP, 5.9.9 on quads, 4.1.59-6 on ARC and 5.5.5

This issue was visited awhile back and, as I recall, the solution works for
WebTV as well as Dreamcast units;
set ppp authentication_preference PAP
set ppp receive_authentication PAP
change Framed-Compression in Radius from None to  Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP

HTH,
-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA   814-941-5000      http://www.keyconn.net

-