Subject: (usr-tc) Best MTU speed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:33:08 +0000

What would be the optimum MTU speed for dial up modems?  Ethernet default
is 1500, but what about PPP connections?

I remember back in Trumpet Winsock days that you would lower that to a 2x
multiple of the MSS size (or something like that).

Does PPP automatically try and negotiate the largest MTU?  

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:39:46 +0000

Based on the number of web sites that are (stupidly) blocking *ALL* ICMP
traffic at their border, and thus breaking MTU Path Discovery, you pretty
much have to use 1500 (or at least 1460) nowadays.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

-