Subject: [USR-TC] NMC not answering...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 17:24:35 +0000

Just thought that I would ask on the list....  I have, on
occassion had to re-seat my NMC cards because they would stop answering
ping/snmp queries.  This ALWAYS corrected the problem, however today I
have a NMC card that once it was pulled out and re-seated, it still will
not answer queries?  Is it possible that it has LOST the public IP passwd
or lost the IP configuration?

  I am going to hook up  a terminal program to it, but just wanted some
input from anyone who might have experienced this problem.

  Thanks in advance!

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite Q
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 17:54:15 +0000

Also sprach [email-masked]
>have a NMC card that once it was pulled out and re-seated, it still
>will not answer queries?  Is it possible that it has LOST the public IP
>passwd or lost the IP configuration?

I have had, on several occasions, my (non-HiPer) NMC cards totally loose
all of their configuration information, so it is quite possible that
this is what has happened (indeed, I have two at one of our remote POPs
that are totally unreachable at this moment...eventually I'll send
someone up there to reconfig them, but its not urgent)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: Steve Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:58:03 +0000

Yep, this is a known problem with NMCs I usualy have to reboot 1 a week out 
of 8 boxes total.

It is unknown (at least by me) what causes this problem.  I have posted here 
and have not gotten any real answer to this problems, besides the 'me too' 
type.

-Steve

On Thursday 07 March 2002 09:24 am, [email-masked] wrote:
> ===========================================================================
>=== Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:29:22 +0000

I have this happen occassionally and a simple re-seat of the card
corrects the problem, however this one was a little different.  It appears
that ir reverted back to the factory default settings (IP/netmask)  After
correcting this the card is again working properly.

  I did notice on my spare card that the X2/V90 is NOT ENABLED.  Anyone
know where I might get a key to enable this feature?  I know that the
HyperDSP do not require this, but I still have a couple of HUBS that have
quads in them and if I ever need to CHANGE an NMC card I would like to
know that it has the x2/v90 enabled on it!

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Steve Johnson wrote:

> >===

---

From: "Timothy C. Bohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:36:24 +0000

I've had the EXACT problem Jeff stated.

Timothy C. Bohen
CMSInter.Net LLC / Crystal MicroSystems LLC
===========================================
web   : www.cmsinter.net
email : [email-masked]
phone : 989.235.5100 x222
fax   : 989.235.5151

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jeff Mcadams
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 12:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] NMC not answering...

---

From: Oliver Francke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:01:04 +0000

Hi,

so, out of some memories: an old 486 NMC could revert back to
	192.77.203.193/255.255.255.192
a newer HiPerNMC should have
	149.112.209.186/255.255.255.0

and if you configure some router temporary with a secondary address out
of this network, it is perhaps possible to reach it via snmp and
reconfigure remotely with:

--------------- snip ---------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

WCOMM=<YourKnownReadWriteCommunity>

$HOST=$1

# that is: try the ip-address from above for the appropriate card

# nmcUiCfgLanIPAddr.0 a $2
# nmcUiCfgLanSubnetMask.0 a $3
# nmcUiCfgDefaultGwyIP.0 a $4

snmpset $HOST $WCOMM .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.1.2.8.1.0 a $2 \
	.1.3.6.1.4.1.429.1.2.8.2.0 a $3 .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.1.2.8.5.0 a $4

snmpset $HOST $WCOMM .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.1.2.4.3.0 i 7 # saveUiParmsToEeprom

# wait some seconds, let's say 10 or so should be sufficient

snmpset $HOST $WCOMM .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.1.2.4.3.0 i 6 # softwareReset

# wait n cross fingers ;-)
--------------- snap ---------------------------------------------

Hope it helps.

Regards, Oliver.

> I've had the EXACT problem Jeff stated.
[..]

-- 
NEW PHONE No.:

[email-masked]               fon. +49-5246-80-1389
                                           mob.  +49-171-5597734
I used to have a sig, but I've stopped smoking now.