Subject: (usr-tc) Slow Chassis?

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:36:47 +0000

One of my TCH hiperarc systems has dropped it's total throughput to about
65% of my other chassis's. They are all similarly configured with 48 quad
modems and 48 dsp modems. All have hiperarcs and standard nmc's. The
configuration appears to be the same across the chassis's.

What would account for this? How should I go about troubleshooting it?

Thanks,

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:54:35 +0000

Does anyone have any idea I shoudl try before I blow the chassis away and
reload from scratch?

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 7:37 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Slow Chassis?

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:13:02 +0000

Can anyone tell me why the DSP cards perform the verify/logon
sequence quicker than the quads?   We have 3 chassises, two running Quads
and one running DSPs.  The DSPs verify and logon much quicker than the
quads.  Is there a setting I can look at that might cause this?  I would
like all of the modems to verify/login as quickly as the DSP cards do!

  Thanks in advance!

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite Q
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:28:57 +0000

Also sprach [email-masked]
>sequence quicker than the quads?   We have 3 chassises, two running
>Quads and one running DSPs.  The DSPs verify and logon much quicker
>than the quads.  Is there a setting I can look at that might cause
>this?  I would like all of the modems to verify/login as quickly as the
>DSP cards do!

I don't know about quad vs. DSP comparison, but I remember there being a
distinction between Arcs and NETServers where the NETServers had a bug
(no surprise there) where they corrupted/dropped the first LCP packet
that came through in PPP negotiation.  They then had to wait for the
timeout and for the LCP packet to be resent.  This resulted in actually
fairly noticeable increases in the time for PPP negotiation.

I'm not sure if this holds true with quads and dsps, but you might try
logging a ppp connection with something that gives you timestamps (a
linux box with the "debug" ppp and chat option?) and see what's occuring
(at least from the client side) during a connection.  There might be
some clue there as to what's going on that's causing the quads to take
longer.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-