Subject: (usr-tc)Disconnect User Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:26:56 +0000

Good day,

Any one having problems with disconnecting users in TC?
While i'm on the command prompt, i do a "disconnect user xxx" and it doesn't
disconnect user at tha time you have to issue a series of same command before 
you will be prompting "CLI - user not found." i'm doing this because of
simultaneous username that are logged in.
Although we a script in killing simultanoues login, i found out that
its having a long delay of disconnecting the user sometimes. Did any any one
encountered this kind of problem?

Thanks

Herbert Frias				
					
Pacific Internet, Philippines			Tel: (632) 637-1700
3rd Floor, Taipan Place 			Fax: (632) 636-4604
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Center			email: [email-masked]
Pasig City, 1605

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:56:45 +0000

>encountered this kind of problem?

Try: HANGUP INTERFACE slot:x/mod:x, knocks'em off every time.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA   814-941-5000      http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 05:31:06 +0000

on 4.1.59-6  'reset slot:xx/mod:xx' will also do it.  Takes a few seconds
but works.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:20:44 +0000

>on 4.1.59-6  'reset slot:xx/mod:xx' will also do it.  Takes a few seconds
Thanks Paul, but my script is looking for two or more username and then
it will disconnect them both. The problem is that TC is very slow to react
sometimes, even i do manual disconnection:)

bert

Herbert Frias				

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:24:25 +0000

>Try: HANGUP INTERFACE slot:x/mod:x, knocks'em off every time.

Thanks Kirk, but my problem is that my script is looking for two or more
username logged in not by slot or mod and then it will kill them.

Thanks for ur assistance:)

bert

Herbert Frias				
					
Philippines

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:26:57 +0000

If you are trying to limit simeltanous-logins then the radius server you
use would be the best place to deny the login.

by all accounts telneting into the ARC, doing a list conn and grepping the
output for dup users sounds very error prone.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:31:57 +0000

Thus spake [email-masked]
>If you are trying to limit simeltanous-logins then the radius server
>you use would be the best place to deny the login.

>by all accounts telneting into the ARC, doing a list conn and grepping
>the output for dup users sounds very error prone.

But then I think about the RADIUS server trying to keep track of the
state on all the Arc's think of that as being very error prone.  :)

I agree, telnet'ing in and doing a list conn isn't the right solution
either.  The best solution I've found is to do essentially the list
conn, but using SNMP ops to get the info.  That's really what SNMP is
*for*...with the Arc's cpu capacity, its actually quite fast...and we've
not had any problems with false positives and we've not found any
instances of false negatives.  Obviously, this depends on the quality of
the script and the checks that are done with it...but it seems to work
quite well for us.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:53:59 +0000

I use a similiar setup via a web page (php3/snmp to list users, time on,
ip, slot etc) then a simple perl script usig Net::Telnet to disconnect
users passed to it via a list.  Works well.  Plus a human get the final
say if a person get booted.

Cistron takes care of the simeltanious-use on the ARC's for me now. Sure
every once in a while the list does get out of wack with stale data... but
on a chassis that is always getting calls the stale info is never kept
more than a minute or two before a new user/call updates the list.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Nicolas St-Pierre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:10:53 +0000

> say if a person get booted.
	Why wouldn't you use SNMP to disconnect users as well? Seems easy
enough if you already list users per interface to see who's on.  I use a
snmpset of .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.10.1.1.27.interface# with the string
"RESET" and the user's gone.

Just a thought,

Nick

-- 
Nicolas St-Pierre
Systems Engineer
Internet Access Solutions Ltd.
Tel (905) 469-4953
Fax (905) 469-4954

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:22:55 +0000

Im what way?  Our radius server does this very nicely.  It simply keeps
a running list of all logged-in users.  When a login is attempted, it
checks the list to see if there is already an entry for that username. 
If there is, and that user is not permitted multiple logins, an
access-reject is returned to the ARC.  Works great and has never made a
mistake.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:22:21 +0000

I do.. snmp get the names from the ARC and the telnet session to dico the
user.

I wish I had the SNMP OID to reset a specific modem.... 

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Nicolas St-Pierre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:39:15 +0000

[email-masked] wrote:

>I do.. snmp get the names from the ARC and the telnet session to dico the user.

What I meant to say is why use TELNET at all when it can be done easily
through SNMP only.

> I wish I had the SNMP OID to reset a specific modem....

The OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.10.1.1.27.interface# should be specific
enough.  You can either compute the interface # yourself with the rule:
interface = slot * density + modem # + offset + 1000.  The Default
Density is 256 and the default offset is 1, but you can get the specific
values from the ARC through SNMP by reading: .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.2.1.90.0
and .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.2.1.47.0 respectively.  If you use RADIUS, the
"Interface-Index" attribute sent with the accounting record (along with
the slot and channel attribute) is the actual interface # associated
with the modem.  I find the RADIUS Interface-Index attribute to be very
useful to manage the modems, while the slot and interface attribute are
used for easy to read stats.

For example, if I want to reset a modem to disconnect a user on
Slot:2/Mod:7, The interface is 2 * 256 + 7 + 1 + 1000 = 1520.  By doing
a snmpset on .1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.10.1.1.27.1520 with the string "RESET",
the modem's reset and the user's gone.

> > "RESET" and the user's gone.

Hope this helps,

Nick

-