Subject: (usr-tc) dumb quest-best TC config for V34toV90 xstn

From: amanda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:48:57 +0000

Sorry to ask such a DUMB blonde question, but I really don't know and have
just recently subscribed  :-)

We are changing over from podunk V34 standalone modems and Cisco 2511s and
installing V.90-capable local (not remote POP) dial-in terminal servers.
With the recent announced demise of the PM3 and PM4 line by Lucent, we are
left with a simple decision - go with USR TC boxes.

But, when we study the isp-equipment and isp-services lists, I at least see
a dizzying array of offered equipment: units with 12 quad modems flashed
with V.90 code, and some with one or two T1/PRI cards, some with HiperDSP
cards, and most but not all with HiperARC cards.  Prices range from $3000
on up to $5500, $8500, and $9500.

So - here is the dumb question that I humbly hope you TC gurus will deign
to answer for me, please!!!

		What is the best configuration of TC box to order to initially connect a
newly-leased PRI for 23 incoming dial-in trunks (mostly V.90 users but some
ISDN hopefully someday)  in our local (not remote) POP such that we can
throw away these blasted V.34 modems and start offering our customers V.90
dial-in?  I would love to also be able to capture ANI per customer for our
logs, and to start running RADIUS authentication on either Solaris or NT
(ugh) boxes.  I guess we could keep the four Cisco 2511 routers we have,
but would we be better off using the TC router card??

Sorry again for the dumb question (yes I really AM a blonde) and I hope
someone can point me in the right direction to be paying the least money to
either a used vendor or to some snazzy USR ISP-friendly factory rep to buy
our first unit!  We would want to add a second PRI for a foreign exchange
(2nd NPA) soon, but not on Day 1 (in a couple of months maybe).

Thanks, guys !!  :-)

Amanda

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:57:22 +0000

> dial-in?  I would love to also be able to capture ANI per customer for our

A Chassis
dual 70 or 130 amp power supplies
1 or 2 HiperDSP cards (each one takes a PRI)
1 or 2 HiperARC cards
1 HiperNMC card

I would stick to the Hiper stuff, unless you are really looking for a
deal.  You need one HiperDSP for each PRI.  A HiperARC is the terminal
server/router that the HiperDSP modems are concentrated thru.  1 HiperARC
is fine for at least 5 or 6 DSP's.  I think you can even do more than
that.  Ultimatly, 3com hopes to be able to run an entire chassis off just
one, and in fact that may work now (anyone know?).

I would not get Netserver based URC TC gear myself.  But if you are
shopping for a deal, you may look at a DualPRI/Quad/Netserver/NMC type
chassis.

> (ugh) boxes.  I guess we could keep the four Cisco 2511 routers we have,

All of the Total Control gear will capture DNIS/ANI, and all work with
RADIUS servers that run on Solaris or NT. 

> but would we be better off using the TC router card??

yes you are probably going to have an easier time using hte TC router card
which is the HiperARC.

> (2nd NPA) soon, but not on Day 1 (in a couple of months maybe).

Source Technologies (www.sourcetechnology.com, I beleive) has very good
prices.

The total control stuff is a good deal, because you can put up to 14 DSP's
in a single box, so its pretty dense.

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:04:56 +0000

> but would we be better off using the TC router card??

First, I agree w/Brian's reply from earlier.

Chassis with a NMC, PowerSupplies (I went with dual 70A ones),
a HiperARC and at least one HiperDSP. 

HiperDSP is like your modem card; it takes a PRI (or CT1) in one end
and splits it out into 23 (24 for CT1) interfaces which are presented
to the HiperARC. The HiperARC is your router card, it takes stuff on
those interfaces and puts it on your ethernet (among other things like
radius auth, ppp negiotiation, etc).

The HiperDSPs also take ISDN calls, so you'll be able to support ISDN
as soon as you install.

They'll capture the ANI for you, but know that it's not really ANI...
it's CLID (caller_id; can be blocked by calling party).

They can auth & account with Radius; pretty much your choice of servers.
I'm a fan of Radiator...have it running on linux myself, storing its
data in SQL databases (PostgresSQL). If you're interested, Radiator
can be found at <http://www.open.com.au/radiator/>.

> our first unit!

Source Technology ROCKS. <http://www.source-technology.com/>

-