Subject: (usr-tc) Bad HiperDSPs with Alliance Chips? (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:35:30 +0000

I tried to send this message on Monday, but I'm afraid that the mail
address I used doesn't match the one I signed up to the list with, so
it's probably awaiting approval or something.  Anyway, I'm sending
from what I believe is the right "From" now, so hopefully it will go
through, because it seems to be affecting others too.  At the very
least, I hope it reaches you folks at nebi.com...

David Ernst
HoosierNet, Inc.

PS, our new cards are supposed to be here today.  But there's
apparently a software fix as well...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:32:48 -0500 (EST)
From: David Ernst <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Bad HiperDSPs with Alliance Chips?

We just tried to bring up a couple of new HiperDSP cards.  Connections
on them were extremely unstable (I couldn't get one to last more than
5 minutes, some were connected longer than that, but there were
clearly problems).  I called technical support at Source Technology,
from whom we purchased the cards.  Before I even finished describing
the problem, they started talking about a defective batch of cards
that came off the line recently.  The affected cards are apparently
hardware revision 0.55 and (this is key apparently) have two pairs of
chips on the reverse side of the card, mounted horizontally, made by
"Alliance".  Our cards matched their description to a "T", and they
told us to send the cards back and they would ship us a new one as
soon as they could.  Since these Alliance folks apparently supply
ships for about 20% of the cards 3Com produces, there is a substantial
demand for replacement cards.  So meanwhile, we'll wait for Source
Technology to come back with new cards, and try to explain to our
users why the busy signals didn't go away when we thought they would.  

<Sigh>

Anyone else heard about this?  Can anyone from 3Com confirm or deny
this problem?

David

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.