Subject: (usr-tc) how to do SNMP disconnects?

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 02:49:43 +0000

I'm banging my head against the wall on this SNMP disconnect problem.  I
want to be able to do a disconnect via a single "set" that is indexed via
session-id or username and session-id.

There are two good candidates.  The best one is 
usrUserMan.usrUserManGroup.usrUserManActiveSessionTable.uumActiveSessionEntry.uumActiveSessionAction
which works when you hand it the session ID it's looking
for.  Unfortunatly, the session-ID it's looking for is "off" by some,
small, random, unpredicatable number compared to the Radius
Session-ID, and you can only learn this bad sesion-ID by doing a "get" to
discover it's corrupted value, which would be as slow as what I'm doing
now.

The other candidate is
usrUserMan.usrUserManGroup.usrUserManVTSTermTable.usrUserManVTSTermEntry.usrUserManVTSTermAction
which has the advantage that it's Session-ID always matches what's in the
Radius accounting records, but the problem is I've never been able to
make it work.  In fact I use this table now to verify the user is still
online before I go whack the modem.

So my choices are one that works, but can't be used beacause it's of
random noise in the session-id, or one that has perfectly matching
session-ids but I can't figgure out how to make it work.

If I buy a support contract, is this something that 3COM would answer or
fix?

--
Aaron Nabil

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:47:53 +0000

> session-id or username and session-id.

Why are you so attached to the session ID? Why not use the port number to
directly hang up the modem?

> discover it's corrupted value, which would be as slow as what I'm doing

How is this off?? Can you give an example?

> online before I go whack the modem.

This one should work. But it looks like (from the MIB) that you need to
specify more than just the sessionId. It says :
-- The usrUserManVTSTermTable is used to terminate a session using
-- the unique index key made up of AusrUserManVTSTermUserName,
-- usrUserManVTSTermSessionId, usrUserManVTSTermDynamicIpAddress,
-- and usrUserManVTSTermSessionKey.

So the trick will be to figure out how to generate that key.. I think 
HARM can do this. You may want to snoop a HARM packet and see what it
does.

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:06:22 +0000

> directly hang up the modem?

I am using the port number.  We hang up _a lot_ (>10/hour, currently) of
connections, I don't want to drop the wrong people because I lost an
accounting stop.  So it requires that I double-check to make sure
that the user I want to zap is still on that port first.  If I was using
session-id, it wouldn't be necessary to make that check.

> How is this off?? Can you give an example?

An example would be the Radius Session-ID is 6637483 and the one in the
table is 6637482, 6637483, 6637484, or 6637485.  

--
Aaron Nabil

-