Subject: (usr-tc) DSP hang ups & code

From: Greg owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:32:29 +0000

We are having some problems with all, but mainly one DSP card continually having a pair of modems hanging up. (Resetting the card about 3 to 4 times a week. All DSP cards are running the same code 2.0.81) I spoke with our vendor about sending this card back for repairs as the others do not  hang up nearly as often. Thir solution was to tell me I need to put the 2.6.0 code in there that it had all the fixes for this. I thought that 2.0.6 was the revision that had a fix for this. I spoke with them about this and they said no the 2.6.0 code is newer than the 2.0.6   Am I nutts (insert your private joke here) but I thought the lower the revision number the newer the code. Has anyone seen any major improvements with any of these codes? And what would you suggest? Many Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Greg Owens
Magnolia Internet Services
http://www.magnolia-net.com

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 06:31:20 +0000

Thus spake Greg owens
>We are having some problems with all, but mainly one DSP card
>continually having a pair of modems hanging up. (Resetting the card
>about 3 to 4 times a week. All DSP cards are running the same code
>2.0.81) I spoke with our vendor about sending this card back for
>repairs as the others do not  hang up nearly as often. Thir solution
>was to tell me I need to put the 2.6.0 code in there that it had all
>the fixes for this. I thought that 2.0.6 was the revision that had a
>fix for this. I spoke with them about this and they said no the 2.6.0
>code is newer than the 2.0.6   Am I nutts (insert your private joke
>here) but I thought the lower the revision number the newer the code.
>Has anyone seen any major improvements with any of these codes? And
>what would you suggest? Many Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

You want 2.0.60...it has a workaround (note...not fix) for the hanging
modem issue...it does proactive aggressive resets on the modems when
this occurs.  2.6.0 doesn't exist.  The numbering system is nothing so
simple as you describe it here.  The first two numbers are as you would
normally expect (higher numbers are later)...for the third number
though, basic releases count up, then Engineering Releases and Service
Releases (ER's and SR's) count down.  This means that there will be an
initial release (for 2.0.x in the DSP's, it was 2.0.19), then there will
likely be later ER's and SR's that you might be using (for DSP's, 2.0.81
was the first SR, 2.0.60 was the next one, 2.0.51 will likely be the
third).  The general consensus is that 2.0.60 does help with the hung
modem issue...its not perfect, but its better.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Ed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:16:20 +0000

I never could figure out the whole idea of a workaround... versus a true fix. I am sure they can certainly fix it considering they broke it... (When I say they broke I mean they broke it... originally this was not an issue with the Hiper DSP's)

Maybe 3com should actually address the defects directly instead of a chip reset for when the problem happens... which is quite often.

BTW, whatever happen to the V90 issues?? Still no resolution on that 3com? (Was acknoledged that they had V90 issues over 3 months ago and still no resolution. Ascends still connect V90 more often)

IMHO

Ed Taylor

----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jeff Mcadams 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 11:27 PM
  Subject: Re: (usr-tc) DSP hang ups & code

  Thus spake Greg owens

  -