Subject: (usr-tc) TAPI_OPEN failed and operational status down.

From: Mark Ivens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:50:45 +0000

Hello,

Can anyone on the list interpret these error messages? Our telco
reports that the chassis is rejecting all calls offered to it.

18:24:31, Facility "GWC Modem Driver", Level "UNUSUAL"::
GWCMDM_AL,slot:7/mod:25 TAPI_OPEN failed, retrying 
At 18:24:31, Facility "GWC Modem Driver", Level "UNUSUAL"::
GWCMDM_AL,slot:7/mod:23 TAPI OPEN failed 
At 18:24:31, Facility "GWC Modem Driver", Level "UNUSUAL"::
GWCMDM_AL,slot:7/mod:23 TAPI_OPEN failed, retrying 

The DSP also reports

   Span1 Modem Not Available Count is:        2

Does this mean that the chassis is failing to get control of the
DSP's?

The operational status of each modem is listed as down when doing a
list interfaces on the ARC.

E.g:
Interface                        Oper    Admin
Name                             Status  Status
slot:1/mod:1                     Down    Up
slot:1/mod:2                     Down    Up
etc for all the slots.

Line status parameters reported by the DSP are normal:

      NO ALARM          = TRUE
      RCV FAR END LOF   = FALSE
      XMT FAR END LOF   = FALSE
      RCV AIS           = FALSE
      XMT AIS           = FALSE
      OUT OF FRAME      = FALSE
      LOSS OF SIGNAL    = FALSE
      LOOPBACK STATE    = FALSE
      T16 AIS           = FALSE
      RCV FAR END LOMF  = FALSE
      XMT FAR END LOMF  = FALSE
      RCV TEST CODE     = FALSE
      OTHER FAILURE     = FALSE                                                 

I have no idea how to fix this and bring the operational status of the
modems up. It is on a chassis that we are trying to get working in
Germany that was previously used in the UK.  We have the switch type
set to ICTR4 and the line type set to crce1. We've tried disabling
chassis awareness and adding each card to the ARC manually.

I was wondering if anyone on the list might have some idea on how we
can get this chassis working so the powers that be will let me come
back to the UK :-).

Regards
Mark Ivens

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:20:25 +0000

what version of modem code are you using?  and what is the version of
hiper arc?  These messages say that there is packet bus issues.

V

-

---

From: Mark Ivens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:36:13 +0000

> hiper arc?  These messages say that there is packet bus issues.

Sorry I didn't mention this previously. V4.2.32. On the DSP's Software
Version  2.0.51.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mark Ivens   [email-masked]        "You can't fight in here, this
    Systems Administrator                 is the War Room!" - The
  ClaraNET UK Ltd  020 7903 3203         President, "Dr. Strangelove"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:25 +0000

> Sorry I didn't mention this previously. V4.2.32. On the DSP's Software

Well the error message says that one of the modem/modems dropped off the packet 
bus, and the hiper arc is trying to get that modem back but the modem is not 
responding.  Typically this happens if either the modem reset (MFP - reason) and 
that the hiper arc did not recover.  4.2.32 - I am not sure but I think does not 
have all the fixes for the packet bus - 4.1.13 and 4.2.73 does - that code will 
fix this problem 

-V

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message

-

---

From: Mark Ivens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:03:27 +0000

Thus spake [email-masked] ([email-masked]):

> Well the error message says that one of the modem/modems dropped off
> the packet bus, and the hiper arc is trying to get that modem back
> but the modem is not responding.  Typically this happens if either
> the modem reset (MFP - reason) and that the hiper arc did not
> recover.  4.2.32 - I am not sure but I think does not have all the
> fixes for the packet bus - 4.1.13 and 4.2.73 does - that code will
> fix this problem 

The error message was generated for all the modems, leaving nothing
left on the packet bus to take the traffic :-).

After struggling with the chassis for a couple of days, I'm afraid we
went over to the Dark Side and put in a spare Cisco 5300.  We simply
ran out of time.

When it gets shipped back to the UK, I'll do as you suggest and try a
later code revision.

Thanks for your help, it was much appreciated.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Mark Ivens   [email-masked]   "You can teach a dog new tricks but
     Systems Administrator           you can't teach Madonna to act." 
    ClaraNET Ltd    020 7903 3203  - Wheel of Morality, "Anamaniacs"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:57:07 +0000

> went over to the Dark Side and put in a spare Cisco 5300.  We simply

A complete reboot of the chassis - Power off and Power on should have 
resolved this issue atleast for 20 days - Anyway when you get the chassis back
do use the latest code.  

V

-