Subject: (usr-tc) Microsoft VPN problems via TC 2nd

From: GTI x2 Tech <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:37:55 +0000

We posted this awhile ago with one response but it still didnt work.  It
seems that the USR TC unit is "blocking" the VPN for some reason.  Any
ideas?

Objective:  To promote awareness of Microsoft Virtual Private Networking
(VPN) problems experienced with USR Total Control Manager Terminal
Servers.

Test Equipment for Experiment #1:

        VPN Server: Microsoft NT 4.0 (SP5) Server  100base-T Ethernet
        VPN Client: Windows 98  Standard Modem 33.6 kbps

        Environment:

a)      An NT user account was created with logon locally services rights.
b)      MS-VPN and Remote Access (RAS) was configured for remote        
        connectivity and VPN with 1 available network.
c)      Private class-c IPs were assigned to the VPN network for
        dynamically assigned addressing of remote clients.
d)      Network Domain was configured and named XYZ
e)      Win 98 machine was configured for Dial-up Networking including
        Dial-up adapter, TCP/IP and Microsoft Virtual Private Networking
        Dial-up adapter, and VPN Networking.
f)      Win 98 domain (workgroup) was set to XYZ. Dialup networking

Test Results: (Livingston Port Master 2e)

                Using the standard Dial-up networking in Windows 98, I
established an Internet connection to GTI using the analog Livingston Port
Master 2e.  I verified my connectivity by the use of such utilities as
ping, traceroute and standard http, FTP and Telnet protocols. At that
point I launched the VPN Dialup networking connection to the VPN server.
The VPN server verified and authenticated my account and logged me in. I
then ran a netstat utility to display my current Internet IP as well as
the newly assigned private class-c IP provided by the VPN server.  I could
then go into Network Neighborhood and access every machine belonging to
the XYZ domain, based on my account privileges previously configured
at the VPN server user account manager.

Test Results: (USR Total Control)

                Using the identical environments as above, I changed the
dial-up node number to connect to the USR Total Control Terminal Server.  
The VPN authenticated my user account and logged me in, but there was
absolutely NO connectively to the XYZ domain and the Internet connection
completely stalled.

Hypothesis:
   
                I believe the USR units are prohibiting the use of VPN
somehow. Clients should be able to pass VPN packets regardless of what
dialup they use. The Livingston 2e does not have a problem with VPN at
all, so it looks like the USR is mis-configured somehow.

Any insight would be appriciated.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.