Subject: (usr-tc) Arc 4.x version?

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:28:33 +0000

Hi,

I'm sitting at:

System Version:  V4.2.32 Built on Aug 16 1999 at 17:19:37

First, is this the same as "4.2.32-1" on the totalservice site?

I'm not looking for any additional features other than ospf.
Am I best where I'm at or should I go with 4.2.73?  I found the release
notes on 4.2.73, and don't see any issues resolved, just a list of
still-outstanding issues...

Thanks,

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:58:30 +0000

Also sprach Charles Sprickman

>First, is this the same as "4.2.32-1" on the totalservice site?

Try "_show ver" for the extended version information.

>I'm not looking for any additional features other than ospf.  Am I best
>where I'm at or should I go with 4.2.73?  I found the release notes on
>4.2.73, and don't see any issues resolved, just a list of

Mike Andrews would most likely be the resident Arc OSPF expert.  :)
I've played with it a bit when it was first available but decided not to
break my current setup which is RIPv2 on the Arcs re-dist'ed to OSPF on
the next hop Cisco.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 06:36:00 +0000

> break my current setup which is RIPv2 on the Arcs re-dist'ed to OSPF on

4.2.32, 5.0.9, or 5.1.99 would be the releases I'd run.  I never tried
4.2.73.  4.2.32 was pretty stable.  5.0.9 was VERY stable but had a SNMP
memory leak that was annoying.  5.1.99 looks solid so far.

I don't know if 5.1.99 ever fixed the OSPF bugs I ran into -- I finally
worked around them by renumbering my network.  The upshot of the problem
was that the ARC tended to throw static/connected routes away in favor of
OSPF-learned routes; the "connected" part of that was what was screwing me
over badly.  Explaining the specific problem would take longer than it
would take to search the archives for it. :)  But it still worked well
enough that I banished the RIPv2 evil from my network years ago...

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-