Subject: (usr-tc) SNMP response times...

From: Steve Creel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:56:23 +0000

When I pull SNMP info off of the NMC, the response is relatively quick,
and definately livable.  However, when I try to pull stuff from the
hiperarc or netserver cards, it takes -forever-.  Is there anything I can
do to speed up the arc/ns responses?  Is there a misconfiguration that
could be causing the lagged response?

Thx.

___________________________________________________________
Steve Creel                           Nothin But Net, LLC.
                                      [email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 05:17:29 +0000

Thus spake Steve Creel
>hiperarc or netserver cards, it takes -forever-.  

*boggle*  How are you getting this to happen?  The SNMP agent on the Arc
is *definitely* faster than that on (at least the 486 based) NMC cards.
Moving to the HiPer NMC (pentium based) helps tremendously from what
everyone has told me, but I still can't imagine it being faster than the
Arc.  The NETServer has little enough information in it that its of
little consequence how fast it is.  :)

>Is there anything I can do to speed up the arc/ns responses?  Is there
>a misconfiguration that could be causing the lagged response?

The only way I can think that you would get worse response to the Arc
than to the NMC would be if you were using the relay functionality of
the NMC to get to the Arc...then the request would be going through both
the NMC and the Arc with the resultant slowdown.  If this is the
situation, then that makes sense, and the solution is to send the SNMP
request to the Arc directly (use the Arc's IP address, not the NMC's in
your SNMP util)...

Only other possibility I can think of is that you have a very heavily
loaded Arc...the fullest Arc I have is one with 5 DSP's on it (115
ports?  did I calculate that right?), so if you have 14 DSP's running
against one Arc...perhaps the Arc (correctly) prioritizes handling user
connections higher than SNMP requests, with the result of the SNMP
having poor performance on such a heavily loaded Arc...I've not seen any
evidence of any slowdown on my most heavily loaded Arc, but I suppose
its possible.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-