Subject: (usr-tc) Security and Accounting Server vs. SAM questions

From: Howard Reeves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:48:21 +0000

I am trying to decide whether to enter my users in the Security and
Accounting database or to proxy against the NT database.

I am currently entering the username in both NT and S&A and using the NT
password. I did this because my only server at the time had been setup as a
standalone server instead of a PDC so I could not proxy to the NT database.
Also, I use NT Mail and by using the NT database, NT Mail could authenicate
against the NT database.

I am now adding an additional server that has been setup as a PDC. I plan to
reconfigure the standalone server as a BDC when I have the new server up and
running. This is why I am currently contemplating this question. I want to
make the best decision that I can so that it works now and in the future as
I add to the network. I do not want to just do what is easiest right now.
However, I can not afford to invest in new RADIUS software at this time
which is what I would probably really like to do, and do not now enough
about Liniux to switch which is what I would probably really really like to
do.

My reasons for wanting to use NT database.

1. NT Mail can authenicate against NT database reducing the amount of setup
required for each user.

2. Can remotely administer username and passwords with web interface.

3. Can operate a back up server.

My reasons for not wanting to use NT database.

1. I have no way that I know of to print information about users i.e.
username, Name, Address, Telephone Number, etc.

2. No way to limit concurrent users.

3. Concerns about the security of using NT database.

My reasons for wanting to use S&A

1. Can print information about users from access reports.

2. Supposedly can limit concurrent users.

3. Believe that it is more secure than using NT database.

My reasons for not wanting to use S&A

1. Can not administer user names and passwords through a web interface.

2. Not sure if I can operate a backup server.

3. Do not know how to set NT Mail to authenicate against S&A database. I
believe that it can be done with a DLL file, but I have not found any
documentation to explain how to do it.

I am very open to any ideas or suggestion that anyone might have including
other RADIUS software that might meet my needs. Any help will be
appreciated.

Howard Reeves
[email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.