Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Alltel + Nortel DMS10 + NI2 + problems

From: FIRST NOC TC Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:44:32 +0000

Jason,

Thanks for the response and tips.  Although this news is not 
particularly what I wanted to hear.  One would think a Telco would 
have to provide you with service messages if that's what your 
equipment needed.  I understand that it probably has to do with 
some feature set for which they have to pay for that feature to be 
enabled in the switch - and since my three PRIs aren't providing 
enough revenue for them they don't want to do this for us.

I did have the service messages disabled on all three DSPs already 
and unfortunately I still experience these random alarms showing 
up on one of the three PRIs, usually the last in the hunt.  I end 
up having to do something really funky to get all three to come 
back up in _apparent_ service - reboot the fronts from right to 
left and then immediately reboot the backs from right to left.  
Any variance from this procedure ends up producing continuing 
alarms on one or more of them.

Incidentally, I know its all about service messages - Had the same 
problem when we took over some circuits after a buyout and those 
were all provisioned NI2 - same exact problems, and when we had 
them changed over to custom (on a 5E switch) the problems went 
away and all of our functionality was back.

The way I see it, that's a lower quality of service from the Telco 
since we are guaranteed to have more problems on NI2 provisioned 
circuits than on Custom.

Wonder if the same problems occur with people using Ascend, 
Livingston and the like.

Mike

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
From: Jason <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:14:56 -0600

>We had similar problems in a small town with a DMS10 switch.
>There is a setting from the console at the DSP which disables
>service messages.  We also asked if they (Sprint) could enable 
service
>messages, since it's very difficult to manage problem modems/dsp's
>if we can't busy out DS0's.  They of course told us no, and they
>would not even consider enabling that feature until more people
>wanted it.  So we are SOL.  However since I have disabled service
>messages I have not had 1 DSP crash.
>
>At the console of the DSP type:
>'chdev span'
>'set servicemsg disable'
>'cmd svspcfg'
>
>--
>That last command will save the config to NVRAM.
>Also, if you try and busy out a DS0, or send some type of
>service message the DMS10 will probably puke, and cause
>that DSP to crash (at least that is what happened to us)
>Hope this helps!!!
>
>At 01:41 PM 3/26/2002, you wrote:
>>Currently we have a 3com Chassis at a remote POP serving 
customers
>>in Alltel-land.  This is a pretty remote place, and so Alltel is
>>only using a DMS-10.  They have provisioned our circuits NI2 -
>>Despite my asking for them to provide Custom settings, they will
>>not do so - claiming that their switch does not have the
>>capabilities to do so (or that their policy doesnt allow for
>>Custom).
>>
>>NMC 7.1.8
>>HiperARC 4.1.26
>>DSP 2.1.9
>>
>>The PRIs are FAS, NI2.
>>
>>Right now we have three of these PRIs in this area.  I can't keep
>>any three of them operating at the same time.  I'm used to 
running
>>everything with 5ESS Custom settings rather than NI2.  It will
>>fill the first two cards in the hunt up and then bail on the
>>third - an alarm will come on on the third one, and then I"ll 
have
>>to resort to some ridiculous reset scheme in order to get all
>>three circuits back up and green.... Then, when customers fill up
>>1 and 2 and get to PRI #3, it'll happen all over again.
>>
>>I also am not able to adequately take individual DS0s out of
>>service like I am on the other equipment.
>>
>>Is there anything I can do on my end to make up for the fact that
>>I'm forced to use NI2 and not have service messages?  I'm just
>>wondering if there is a workaround (or better configuration) that
>>will allow me to manage this remote dialup chassis a little 
better
>>and use all available circuits without these types of problems.
>>
>>I'm also interested if I should be able to demand Custom rather
>>than NI2 - I think Alltel once told me that their tariff does not
>>allow for Custom or something to that effect.  Is this baloney?
>>
>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike Tindor
>>FIRST Internet
>>
>>
>>________________________________________________________________
>>  1st.net
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>USR-TC mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>
>************************
>Jason Watkins
>I-Land NOC
>[email-masked]
>************************
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>USR-TC mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>

________________________________________________________________
 1st.net