Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Finding that no-answering modem

From: Scott Trautman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:50:42 +0000

I concur on the training; I know in our area there are plans to have
a session in the near future. Even those that think they "know it all", will
learn some new tricks. I've been fortunate to get to know George Ebert at
3Com,
and he's been a fantastic resource for those types of things. It'll be nice,
though,
to retain more than say 30% from those valuable informal sessions; as well
as
send a couple of our Admins to the training.

I had suggested perhaps a TC users conference would be cool; something like
an ISPCON
but specifically for TC units. 1-2 days with conferences on many of the
subjects we talk
about here. There's a lot more "under the hood" than many of us ever get to,
and I know
we could, if we knew about them, use a lot more features than we currently
do.

A few examples....I'm sure y'all can think of many more.....

- T1 provisioning/trouble resolution (line, trunk, PRI, signal/noise
ratio's, etc.)
- Monitoring/auto responder
- Getting more mileage out of TCM
- Advanced SNMP
- Authentication/Accounting
- Dialup user issues (monitoring, filtering, setup, etc.)
- HiperARC setup
- TC "future" - VoIP, ?
- Hardware planning (so how many DSP's can I put in a dual 45a chassis? How
much juice do quads take?)
- Getting to the bottom of modem compatibility issues
- Making a mobile or other artwork out of old TC cards you can't seem to
sell for squat...:^)

I'd pay $1-2k for such a day-2day conference.....Just thoughts....

SMT

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:15:44 +0000

Thus spake Scott Trautman
>I concur on the training; I know in our area there are plans to have a
>session in the near future. Even those that think they "know it all",
>will learn some new tricks. I've been fortunate to get to know George
>Ebert at 3Com, and he's been a fantastic resource for those types of
>things. It'll be nice, though, to retain more than say 30% from those
>valuable informal sessions; as well as send a couple of our Admins to
>the training.

Indeed...those informal training sessions are good...and they're a good
way for 3Com folks to get feedback from customers (there were about 8 of
us at the one in Louisville...there was some good give and take there).
I just wish they could get 3Com folks to come that aren't in the sales
side of things...while the sales folks are good (Tom Goodman and George
Ebert are indeed wonderful resources), it seems that, within 3Com,
feedback doesn't really seem to be taken seriously from the sales folks.
:/  Unfortunately, this seems to be the case in many companies...not
just 3Com.

>I had suggested perhaps a TC users conference would be cool; something
>like an ISPCON but specifically for TC units. 1-2 days with conferences
>on many of the subjects we talk about here. There's a lot more "under
>the hood" than many of us ever get to, and I know we could, if we knew
>about them, use a lot more features than we currently do.

Neat idea...I'd certainly go for it (if I could get my company to pay
for the travel ;)

>- T1 provisioning/trouble resolution (line, trunk, PRI, signal/noise

Good...unfortunately, there's not much in the way of tools in the TC's
to do trouble resolution on these things.  More control over the
CSU/DSU's would be *very* useful here.

>- Getting more mileage out of TCM

Hrmm...unfortunately, I've pretty much given up on TCM...you can only
get so much mileage out of a VW bug.  :/  I'm beginning to write some
Perl5 (with SNMP module) scripts to interact with the TC's...  I'm not
quite to the point of putting TCM type functionality together...I'm
starting with scripts to fulfull specific functions...I may, eventually,
get to that point.

>- Advanced SNMP

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?  ;)

>- Getting to the bottom of modem compatibility issues

I see these two kinda being two different sides of the same coin...most
specifically, I would benefit from a seriously in depth seminar about
modem technology...unfortunately, I'm not sure how generally useful this
would be as I'm thinking about actually getting down into the encoding
of the data into the analog waveform and stuff.  :)

>- TC "future" - VoIP, ?

Indeed...this would be nice...especially to give feedback to 3Com
through it.  Where do you/I/we want this platform to go?  I sent a nice
long letter to the list the other day and got very little feedback...one
person agreeing with me (in private, asked for his message not to be
publically posted), and one person sort of disagreeing with me in
public.  :)

>I'd pay $1-2k for such a day-2day conference.....Just thoughts....

Unfortunately, that'd probably be out of our price range...but I would
be interested in such a conference in idea at least.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-