Subject: (usr-tc) Upgrading to HiperDSP from quads

From: Brian Elfert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:33:46 +0000

Right now, I have 5 racks of USR Total Control with Netservers and quad
modems.  My leases are expiring over the next 6 months, so I need to
decide if I renew the leases or move to HiperDSPs.

How are the HiperDSPs working vs the quad modems?  Are the HiperDSPs every
bit as good as the quad modems?  Will every modem that works now continue
to work?

I'm not sure the Netserver cards aren't limiting the throughput of my
modems.  Would getting HiperARCs to go with the quad modems be the best of
both worlds?

Brian

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:54:06 +0000

Thus spake Brian Elfert
>bit as good as the quad modems?  

No...they're getting to be pretty good...but they do still have a few
shortcomings.

>Will every modem that works now continue to work?

Basically, yeah, just maybe not quite as well in all cases (from what
I've seen).

>modems.  Would getting HiperARCs to go with the quad modems be the best of

Yup...definitely would be the best.  I personally don't see any major
reason to move to DSP's from quads at this point.  We're running a mix
currently.  The only reason that I'm pressing to upgrade the quads to
DSPs here is purely for manageability reasons.  I find it easier to only
deal with one type of modem platform for troubleshooting, upgrades, etc.
than have to change the way I do things depending upon which type of
modem I hit.

The two types of modems are *largely* similar in their behavior, but
there are still a few differences that make having a mix a bit of a pain
at times.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-