Subject: RE: [USR-TC] Software Agreement- RE

From: Joel - Fox Computers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:23:29 +0000

I imagine, and it's just a guess here, that the per-port fee is much less when you have thousands of ports.  They still pay a lot, but probably not even 1/4th of the per-port price you pay when you have only 48.

Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Mcadams [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 11:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Software Agreement- RE

Also sprach Todd Bertolozzi
>Now....from my understanding, and this is a MAJOR point the 3com
>contracts work a bit differently then what is being presented on this
>list.  Please....someone tell me I'm wrong, but unless they changed
>their policies without me knowing I believe the contracts cost a little
>more then what you all are thinking:

>The price of the contract is determined based on the total number of
>ports terminating on 3com gear in your WHOLE network. Now...I don't
>know about everyone else on this list but just a rough guess of the
>number of ports we have would be around 40,000 ports on 3com gear.

>So....40,000 / 48 ports = 833.33 x 2600 = $2,166,666.00

We don't have that many ports, but you're basically correct.  The thing
that *really* makes them bad though is that it doesn't distinguish
between *types* of ports.  For example, a *majority* of our ports are
still quad cards, which are no longer supported, but we still have to
pay for them as if they were.  :/
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc