Subject: (usr-tc) SNMP went away...

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:36:07 +0000

Ever since I upgraded my HiPer ARC, snmp didn't work, so I started poking
around...  The last release I had seemed to have it on by default, whereas
this one (4.2.32-1) seems to not; although it did allow me to script my
additions of communities and whatnot without any complaints.

So I did a "add netWORK seRVICE snmp serVER_TYPE snmpd enABLED yes".

But was still unable to get any data.  Looked at it, and it showed this
status:

HiPer-1>> list network SERVICES

CONFIGURED NETWORK SERVICES
                                 Server                    Admin
Name                             Type      Socket  Close   Status
snmp                             SNMPD     161     FALSE   DISABLED

tftpd                            TFTPD     69      FALSE   ENABLED

telnetd                          TELNETD       FALSE   ENABLED

Issued "enabLE netWORK serVICE snmp", and it still says "disabled".  What 
am I missing here?  The manual makes no mention of doing anything beyond
adding the service and even states it should be enabled by default when
added...

Any clues?

Thanks,

Charles

-- 
=-----------------=                                        = 
| Charles Sprickman                       Internet Channel |
| INCH System Administration Team         (212)243-5200    |
| [email-masked]                          [email-masked]  |
=                                         =----------------=

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:06:06 +0000

Community names?

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:20:37 +0000

I have a chassis configured thusly (all cards have latest code):

1 Dual PRI
6 quad ana/digi modem cards
6 digital modem cards
2 HiPerDSPs
1 HiPerARC
1 NMC
2 PSUs

Coming into the PRI card are two ISDN spans. Span2 is merrily taking 
calls; all 6 modem cards are filling up nicely. Span1 is NOT taking 
calls...none of the cards are in use. When the first span fills up, I 
tried dialing into the lead number and get a voice message "I'm 
sorry...we are unable to complete your call..." The only difference 
between the two sets of cards is what I noted above. The first six 
are analog/digital. Is it possible these cards are unable to receive 
calls from an ISDN? Thus far, I have:

1] Gone through *all* the settings, the only thing different was ISDN 
Modem Call Control Option/V110 Rate Adaption which was ENable on the 
ana/digi cards and DISabled on the digital cards. I disabled it on 
the ana/digi cards to no avail.

2] Then, I compared the settings for the two ISDNs on the PRI card. 
Nothing odd or out of wack there.

3] Then I got Bell Atlantic on the job looking to see if somehow the 
size of the pool got set back on their switch. Meanwhile, I though 
I'd ask the list and see if you all had any clues to pass me. Thanks!
*********************************************************
Michelle M. Mogil
Network and Computing Systems
721 Rhodes Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
vox: (607) 255-0516, fax: (607) 255-8420
email: [email-masked]
**********************************************

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:15:33 +0000

No, I tried it also and :

SNMP TRAP COMMUNITIES
IP Address       Community Pool                   Validate Address
public
208.149.160.15                                    useAddress
H

running arc 4.1.22 NMC 6.2.17. 

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:59:21 +0000

Thus spake Paul Farber

>running arc 4.1.22 NMC 6.2.17. 

Looks like you configured the community names for your traps, but not
for regular (client initiated) access.  These are seperately
configured...configuring one doesn't apply to the other.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:17:41 +0000

Hmm... I can snmpwalk the ARC card 

[farber@admin ]$ snmpwalk arc-ii XXXXXXXX | more
system.sysDescr.0 = "3Com Corporation HiPer Access Router Card Built on
Oct 22 1999 at 11:28:15."
system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.usRobotics.usrSysOIDs.usrHiPerArc
system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (115566772) 13 days, 9:01:07.72
system.sysContact.0 = "Paul Farber"
system.sysName.0 = "ARC-II"
system.sysLocation.0 = "570-628-5303"
system.sysServices.0 = 76
interfaces.ifNumber.0 = 220
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.1 = 1
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.2 = 2
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.3 = 3
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.4 = 4
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.5 = 5
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.6 = 6
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.7 = 7
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.8 = 8
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.9 = 9
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.10 = 10
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.11 = 11
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.12 = 12

even though the snmpd service is not running???

I will admit to not knowing much about the 'services'. 

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:35:54 +0000

Thus spake Paul Farber
>Hmm... I can snmpwalk the ARC card 

Then everything is working on the Arc...go forth and be happy.  :)

Actually...it could mean that you have read-only access and not
read-write...but the SNMP agent is running and responding at least.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:51:29 +0000

Yeah but it says disabled :(

I don't really write to the ARC card at all.... so I'm not missing
anything.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:55:03 +0000

>read-write...but the SNMP agent is running and responding at least.  :)

SNMP doesn't even show up in my CONFIGURED NETWORK SERVICES, yet MRTG is
pulling stats fine...

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000/886-2500   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 06:48:18 +0000

I guess it's a combination of two things:

I'd just moved these racks to new ips and had completely forgotten the
snmp polling box has some ipfw rules on it that only allowed snmp from my
old address block I was using.  So after looking at all the router access
lists and all I started digging through the arc v4.2 manual for snmp
goodies, thinking the upgrade busted my snmp...

That brought me to the "network services" stuff, which apparently is
broken as far as telling you the state of snmpd...

Thanks,

Charles

-

---

From: Brian Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:52:25 +0000

Has the industry changed the acceptable modem ratio or is it still 8.0? I'm
curious to find out if it's changed due to changing usage demands.

>Brian Gordon
>MCP, A+, Network +
>Network Administrator
>Westelcom Internet
>518.566.6726 Voice
>419.831.9137 Fax
>http://www.westelcom.com
>[email-masked]

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:10:30 +0000

Thus spake Brian Gordon
>curious to find out if it's changed due to changing usage demands.

We don't monitor user-modem ratios...we just watch and as we start
getting close to filling our lines we add more.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:37:21 +0000

I thought the industry standard was 10.0 not 8.0... but that would explain
why we've always had to run at about 7 to 7.5 here...

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:17:44 +0000

Do you patrol the modem usage to control abusers in any way? If so, how do
you implement it in a positive way that doesn't offend the customers? I'm
asking because this has become a bit of a problem with a few users who have
decided that "unlimited" means just that. We do have an AUP that defines
acceptable usage but I try to avoid being heavy handed with the clients. I
don't really want session limits because I understand someone may need 24
hours to download the entire Linux anthology or NT upgrade and getting
kicked off would be inappropriate. We are surviving with an 8:1 ratio at
this time, but the ratio does seem to be declining slowly.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) What Modem Ratio do you use?

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:31:03 +0000

Thus spake Mark Thornton
>Do you patrol the modem usage to control abusers in any way? If so, how
>do you implement it in a positive way that doesn't offend the
>customers? I'm asking because this has become a bit of a problem with a
>few users who have decided that "unlimited" means just that. 

Well...first off, we make sure we don't use the term "unlimited" in any
of our marketing material.  :)

>We do have an AUP that defines acceptable usage but I try to avoid
>being heavy handed with the clients. I don't really want session limits
>because I understand someone may need 24 hours to download the entire
>Linux anthology or NT upgrade and getting kicked off would be
>inappropriate.  We are surviving with an 8:1 ratio at this time, but
>the ratio does seem to be declining slowly.

We do have session limits at 12 hours I think.  We very rarely, if ever,
have any complaints about them.  What we've found, is that of the people
that do complain about them, they're generally the people that are
trying to make a $19.95/month account function as a dedicated
line...thus we're loosing money on them and if they get ticked off at us
and leave...its no loss to us...that frees our modems up for other
customers that *do* make us money.  Most things that would require that
much download time can be done in chunks, not all at once.
Alternatively...many sites support "reget" now in ftp, so that takes
care of the problem as well.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:44:19 +0000

> of our marketing material.  :)

Neither do we. We use the term flatrate, but the general population seems to
translate that on the fly.

> We do have session limits at 12 hours I think.  We very rarely, if ever,

That sounds reasonable. I may add that to our system.

> Most things that would require that

I had forgotten about that added functionality.

Do you ever proactively ask an abuser to find another provider?

Mark Thornton

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:50:09 +0000

Thus spake Mark Thornton
>Do you ever proactively ask an abuser to find another provider?

Not as such...we will occasionally tell a user that to continue service
with us, we'll have to switch the account to a dedicated account...which
amounts to the same thing, but can't really be construed as kicking them
off.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:21:37 +0000

> getting close to filling our lines we add more.

That's what we do here. And over the past few years, I've noticed that
more-lines-time happens as the ratio approaches 8/1. 7-7.5 seems to be
the sweet spot where nobody gets (unreasonable) busy signals yet there's
good utilization of the lines. [when I talk about reasonable busy
signals, I'm meaning that sure, they *occasionally* get a busy, but
an *immediate* redial gets 'em in]

Then again, we don't play that silly 'unlimited' marketing game where
we say it but don't mean it. We set a soft limit of 150/hours per month;
if they go over, they get another $10 tacked onto their bill (which
gives 'em another 100 hour block. Cycle repeats at 250, etc).

Sure, a (very) few potential customers don't sign up because we won't
say unlimited, but in my experience they're the PIA's anyway. Most
of 'em see the light when we mention that 150 hours/month is about
5 hours per day, every single day, and they realize that they won't
use anywhere near that.

And I get a marketing bonus as well.  No extra charge for multi-channel
use. Hook up that shotgun modem. Feel free to log on at work while your
family is also connected at home...I don't care, each channel just adds
to their limit (2channels for 1 hour == 2hours). No headaches for me
policing simultaneous use, and I actually like it when people want to
stay on 24x7. *grin* Not to mention that I don't have to have any
strange clauses in my contracts which attempt to redefine what 'unlimited'
means, or force my opinions on what constitutes a valid connection.

-

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:35:15 +0000

|-----Original Message-----
|From: [email-masked]
|[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of K Mitchell
|Sent: Monday, January 24, 2000 8:52 PM
|To: [email-masked]
|Subject: Re: (usr-tc) SNMP went away...
|
|
|At 09:33 PM 1/24/00 -0500, Jeff Mcadams wrote:
|>Thus spake Paul Farber
|>>Hmm... I can snmpwalk the ARC card
|>
|>Then everything is working on the Arc...go forth and be happy.  :)
|>
|>Actually...it could mean that you have read-only access and not
|>read-write...but the SNMP agent is running and responding at least.  :)
|
|SNMP doesn't even show up in my CONFIGURED NETWORK SERVICES, yet MRTG is
|pulling stats fine...
|

The SNMPD network service is not currently used by the Hiper ARC.
Configuring it has nothing to do with being able to use SNMP on the HARC.
All that is required is setting up the proper community strings. You DO NOT
need to add the service.

-M

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:36:23 +0000

>of our marketing material.  :)

Ditto here

>have any complaints about them.

  We've had our session limit at 10 with no complaints. We drop the limit
to 8 hours in the (we need to add a PRI) - (PRI gets installed) timeframe,
then raise it back up. Actually we could probably get away with leaving it
at 8 since nobody seems to notice.
  Our ratio, BTW, rarely gets far above 6:1 before we start seeing busies.
Throughout the industry, this ratio seems to be dropping slowly as people
use the Internet for more things. It's a 'Catch 22'...we want people to
rely more on computers/Internet for their entertainment and information
gathering, but this increased dependence also means that we need, on
average, to dedicate more resources to servicing each customer.

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:46:40 +0000

Then it's an easter egg of some sort?

Wonder what other unused code is floating around the ARC flash memory???

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:48:41 +0000

I have a session limit at 6 hours.  It's gets the lazy people and the
kiddies who just like to have a connection up.  Some do complian.. but
they quickly quiet down when I point out the service agreement they signed
(and read.. hahahahha)

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:57:53 +0000

If I go more that 5-1 I get people to cancel!

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-