Subject: (usr-tc) Memory Upgrade for HiperARCs?

From: Tim Huffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:37:39 +0000

We have a HiperARC with 64MB of RAM, and it's starting to show its 
limitations. We were looking at possibly upgrading to 128MB, but $950 (quote 
from USR) seems like a whole lot of money. What are the odds that these 
things use standard SDRAM? If not, does anyone know of lower cost 
alternatives?
-- 
-Tim

___________________________________________________
Tim Huffman -------- JORSM Internet, Internet Services 
Assistant Manager ---- 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland 
[email-masked] ------ 100 Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3
(219)322-2180 ------- Quality Service, Affordable Prices 
http://www.jorsm.net --- Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995 
_____________________________________________________

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Andrew Cutler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 05:36:10 +0000

Does anyone even have the specs so I can look for alternatives? So far I have
been unable to get details.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
I found a programme to do the entire Y-2-K conversion process on my PC!
I don't understand it but I will be finished sometime todak.

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 04:36:06 +0000

> things use standard SDRAM? If not, does anyone know of lower cost

just curious.  How are you pushing it, what protocols and how many devices
hanging off it?  I just do ppp/ripv2/mpip on mine, some are 64MB, no more
than 5 HDM's per arc though.

Brian

-----------------------------------------------
          I'm buying used CISCO gear!!
              email me for a quote

Brian Feeny 		    e:[email-masked]
CCNP+Voice/ATM/Security	    p:318.222.2638x109
CCDP     		    f:318.221.6612
Network Administrator
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)

-

---

From: Tim Huffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:33:21 +0000

We are running ppp, ripv2, and mpip on it, but we had 10 HiperDSP's on the 
same HiperArc, and when those cards were full, it started flaking out. We 
believe that it was running out of memory. So does anyone know of any 
alternatives for memory upgrades??

-Tim

On Sunday 18 February 2001 02:28, you wrote:
> > limitations. We were looking at possibly upgrading to 128MB, but $950
> > (quote from USR) seems like a whole lot of money. What are the odds that
> > these things use standard SDRAM? If not, does anyone know of lower cost
> > alternatives?
>

-

---

From: Carl Litt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:48:22 +0000

A big reason to upgrade to 128M is if you ever plan to upgrade to TCS 4.0
or above.  I believe ARC 5.x.x requires 128M.

Carl

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:40:33 +0000

5.0.9 runs fine in 64 meg here, with 9 PRIs worth of modems.

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-