Subject: (usr-tc) Authentication problem

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:04:47 +0000

I keep seeing a problem occassionaly with users not being able to login.
According to my radius logs below, it appears that the password is arriving
corrupt in some way. The users do NOT have CHAP enabled. I am running DSPs
with 2.0.51 code:

(Radius  :00238) 7/5/2000 13:26:14 ODBC_AUTH: Invalid Password Attempt
[JØ»¼^5® ñLBàd"] - username-xxxx
(Radius  :00070) 7/5/2000 13:26:14 ODBC_AUTH: Invalid Password Attempt
[d°£0ß%txZN Nn¾] - username-xxxx
(Radius  :00238) 7/5/2000 13:26:18 ODBC_AUTH: Invalid Password Attempt
[JØ»¼^5® ñLBàd"] - username-xxxx
(Radius  :00070) 7/5/2000 13:27:31 ODBC_AUTH: Invalid Password Attempt
[=ãZd] - username-xxxx
(Radius  :00238) 7/5/2000 13:27:32 ODBC_AUTH: Invalid Password Attempt
[¨xX¸¡'.à~;)ATZ] - username-xxxx
(Radius  :00070) 7/5/2000 13:27:35 ODBC_AUTH: Invalid Password Attempt
[=ãZd] - username-xxxx

Aside from line noise, what could be causing this? The username comes
through fine every time without corruption, so something tells me it might
not be line noise. It happens to a variety of users throughout the day, to a
variety of phone numbers. Any thoughts?

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Ted Mecimore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 08:50:41 -0400

We have seen the same thing. To fix it we have created a "dummy" login that
we have them try. IF this works we then have them changeback to their old
login, retyping the User ID and password. It seems to fix it almost every
time.

Ted Mecimore
Operations Manager
Vista Technology
108 Meeting Street
Morganton, NC 28655

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord,
not for men  Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scot Desort
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 7:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) Authentication problem

--
Scot

-

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 05:58:39 +0000

> corrupt in some way. The users do NOT have CHAP enabled. I am running
What version of HiPer arc code are you using?  Also disable ppp offloading and 
see if this happens - if it does not happen with PPP offloading disabled then 
upgrade your DSP code.

-V

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:04:06 +0000

We get the same thing running the latest DSP code and ARC 4.2.32...  Seems
pretty random.  I dialed in a number of times with a courier on a clean
line and about one in twenty calls I would be presented with garbage as
Scot saw in his logfiles.  

If this were the old days of standalone modems and Xylogics boxes I'd
immediately say it was a speed mismatch on the serial lines...

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200 
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-