Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Modems still hang!

From: Gorkem Yuksel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:27:45 +0000

Hi!

I 've been running   ARC 4.1.59.6
                            NMC 6.1.17
                            DSP  2.0.81
since last August and had same problems(pair modems hang) 6 or 7 times.
But This year, it happened 4 times for 10 days....I had to do reseat it 
everytime.  I e-mailed and contacted my original supplier and 3 Com 
but...no answer....except for sales lady's call asking an expensive support 
contract which I cannot afford.
I have only 2 modem cards and my customer calls right away when it start 
hang by pair.

Can anyone send me    ARC 4.2.32 code by e-mail?
I can receive up tp 4 meg.    Please send it to  [email-masked] and 
 [email-masked]... one is in NT and the other is in Win 95 machine.

Thanks...

Gorkem,,,Ken.
[email-masked]
Globenet

----------
From: 	K Mitchell[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Reply To: 	[email-masked]
Sent: 	Friday, November 26, 1999 12:03 PM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: (usr-tc) Modems still hang!

At 10:45 AM 11/26/99 -0500, Paul Farber wrote:
>Connections = 265  Fails = 358
>Connections = 216  Fails = 407
>
>Seems like the hung modem pair problem is still amung us.
>
>ARC :  4-1-59-6
>NMC :  5.6.2
>DSP :  2.0.81

I've been running;
ARC  4.2.32
NMC  6.1.17
DSP  2.0.81
and I haven't seen a hung modem pair in over a month. This used to occur
about weekly here.

--
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA   814-941-5000      http://www.keyconn.net

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:09:11 +0000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Gorkem Yuksel wrote:

[...]
> everytime.

That's what I'm experiencing. I'm running the SAME software on our
HDSPs and HARC that I've run for OVER A YEAR now. I *never* had the
stuck modem problem until recently (shown by my periodic gloating on
this very list).

I just find it terribly strange that I ran this code with the same config
for over a year with no problems. Within a month of my service contract
expiring, I start getting stuck modems, the frequency of which continues
to increase...nowadays one of my cards won't even go for a single day
after a reboot before getting a stuck modem pair.

I just don't get it. Thing runs fine for a year of continous service,
then starts getting stuck modems once every month and the frequency
continues to rise until now when we get stuck modems once a day. Also
interesting is that once a given card has a pair of stuck modems, it
never seems to get another pair of stuck modems...it'll run for weeks
with just one pair of stuck modems.

In my case tho, it doesn't need to be reseated...just a hardware
reboot (although I blanch at refering to a hardware reboot as 'just a').

At this point, I guess I'll have to go to the new code, although I'm
still scared it won't play well with my (still old) code for the NMC
and the TCMw.

This rant sponsored by events of today. Card in slot15 had a pair of
stuck modems...busied out for a couple of days. Got up this morning
and it was returning fast busy for all calls. Poked around, the card
was reporting (through TCM) *no problems*...nothing even looked odd
on every display on TCM. Rebooted and everything was fine. Then, two
hours later, a pair of modems got stuck again.  ARRRGHHHHHH

Lon Stockton

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 01:49:40 +0000

New ARC code won't help you with the stuck-modem-pair problem... you need
new DSP code for that.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-