Subject: (usr-tc) What is an LH/SH NIC ?

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:44:14 +0000

Until now, our HDM T1 NICs have said under inventory "3COM T1/E1 HDM NIC".
The last six we have installed from the 3COM Double-Play program say
"3COM T1/E1 LH/SH NIC with Programmable Loopback Relays".

I am assuming that LH/SH stands for "long haul / short haul", but what
other changes are in the new NICs if any?

Of note is that the matching NACs have product codes of 3C4, as opposed to
all others installed with a product code of 10Q.

All ideas and answers appreciated.  Thanks

---
Andy Dalrymple
XMission Telecom Manager					(6/15/00)

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:02:57 +0000

Also sprach Andy
>Until now, our HDM T1 NICs have said under inventory "3COM T1/E1 HDM
>NIC".  The last six we have installed from the 3COM Double-Play program
>say "3COM T1/E1 LH/SH NIC with Programmable Loopback Relays".

>Of note is that the matching NACs have product codes of 3C4, as opposed
>to all others installed with a product code of 10Q.

>All ideas and answers appreciated.  Thanks

I *believe* that the new NICs have a relay in them that, when the NAC is
removed, put a loop onto the ds1 plugged into the NIC.  Kinda nice in
that it keeps you from annoying your telco all the time with alarms when
you pull a NAC or reboot or whatever.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-