Subject: [USR-TC] Red question mark on chassis display

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:03:02 +0000

Looking a new chassis I see a red question mark on the back view of the 
chassis, slot 15 (typically where a 2nd arc-nic would go).

I cannot seem to clear this, when you click the slot is shows "UNKNOWN" yet 
there is NO card inserted there.

I'm trying to set up a 2nd arc in that slot, however when I insert the 
NIC/NAC set the NMC hub status goes red and I cannot get an ethernet link 
either.

I pull the NAC card and the hub status light goes out, I've tried several 
different ARC NIC/NAC card sets and they all do the same thing.

Searching 3COM KB brought up only one slightly relevant topic, however that 
did not solve the problem.

I'm thinking of pulling the NMC card out totally and re-inserting it, maybe 
that will clear this problem.  My ARC's are all setup for static slot 
assignments with no DSA enabled either, so I should be able to pop the NMC 
out and back in with no ill effects.

Any other ideas?

- Mike

------------------------------------------------
Rock Island Communications, Inc.  (360)-378-5884
http://www.rockisland.com/  San Juan Islands, WA
------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:29:44 +0000

More info on this situation:

I pulled the NMC card from the chassis, replaced it with another NMC and 
was able to set up my dual-arc config no problem.

Put the NMC into my test chassis and it shows the red ? on slot 15 again, 
totally different chassis!

There must be something saved on this card, I tried to reflash it, reset, 
reload from default etc, etc.

Would erasing the flash and uploading a new image wipe this bogus info clean?

This is a nearly new NMC (Hiper bundle) only about 3 months old.

At 03:02 PM 9/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I cannot seem to clear this, when you click the slot is shows "UNKNOWN" 
>yet there is NO card inserted there.
>
>Searching 3COM KB brought up only one slightly relevant topic, however 
>that did not solve the problem.
>
>I'm thinking of pulling the NMC card out totally and re-inserting it, 
>maybe that will clear this problem.  My ARC's are all setup for static 
>slot assignments with no DSA enabled either, so I should be able to pop 
>the NMC out and back in with no ill effects.
>
>Any other ideas?
>
>
>- Mike
>
>_______________________________________________
>USR-TC mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

- Mike