Subject: (usr-tc) DNIS from an 800 number

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:20:02 +0000

We have an 800 number that is forwarded to our main dialup pool number, so
that users can use 800 service when they are out of town.

We would like to capture DNIS for the 800 number in RADIUS so that we can
bill accordingly.  Currently when someone dials the main number (not 800
number) we get DNIS.  When someone dials the 800 number, we do not get
DNIS information of any kind.

Is it possible to get DNIS information from this 800 number?

Brian

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:27:42 +0000

Thus spake Brian

>Is it possible to get DNIS information from this 800 number?

You need both telco's (the 800 provider and your local) to be configured
to pass the DNIS info.

Keep in mind that if you're using switched 800 service that it might end
up that the DNIS information that is delivered to you is the DNIS for
the local number that the 800 number is switched to.  This happened for
us...we got an 800 number (actually 888 in our case) and pointed it to
our main dial-in local number.  The only DNIS that ever showed up was
the local number.  The workaround is to have your local telco assign
another local number and point your 800 number at this new local number.
Then when the new local number shows up in DNIS, you know the 800 number
was the one that was actually dialed.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: steve mcconnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:31:38 +0000

We point the 800 number to the 2nd number in the hunt group, that way we
know when dnis reports the 2nd number we know they dialed the 800 number.

this was the only way we could figure out (or our telco could figure out)
how to do what you are looking for.

steve

> Is it possible to get DNIS information from this 800 number?

Steve McConnell
EMJI
919-303-3217x126
888-258-8959

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:48:52 +0000

-> We point the 800 number to the 2nd number in the hunt group, that way we
-> know when dnis reports the 2nd number we know they dialed the 800 number.
-> this was the only way we could figure out (or our telco could figure out)
-> how to do what you are looking for.

We did it similarly.  We had telco assign multiple numbers to our PRIs.
We only give out the main number, we have our long distance carrier map
our 800 number to another and we use others for maintenance functions or
potentially special services. We use DNIS screening to only allow 800
customers who have signed the 800 contract to be able to connect to the
800 number.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:31:51 +0000

With all the discussion about different versions of software, could someone 
post the latest and recommended versions for:
1. Hiperarc
2. HiperDSP
3. Quads - Single Sided
4. Netserver

Thanks, Greg Coffey                     <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications V 307-234-5443 F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center #100, Casper, WY  82601        www.vcn.com

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:31:46 +0000

> customers who have signed the 800 contract to be able to connect to the

The 800 cotract sounds like a good idea.  How do account for the 800
number usage?  Does your billing system automatically have a rate based on
DNIS or do you run a script to gather the data and then manually apply a
charge in billing?

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:09:22 +0000

U>On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Jeff Binkley wrote:

U>> -> We point the 800 number to the 2nd number in the hunt group, that
U>> -> way we know when dnis reports the 2nd number we know they dialed
U>> -> the 800 number. this was the only way we could figure out (or our
U>> -> telco could figure out) how to do what you are looking for.

U>> We did it similarly.  We had telco assign multiple numbers to our
U>> We PRIs. only give out the main number, we have our long distance
U>> carrier map our 800 number to another and we use others for
U>> maintenance functions or potentially special services. We use DNIS
U>> screening to only allow 800 customers who have signed the 800
U>> contract to be able to connect to the 800 number.

U>The 800 cotract sounds like a good idea.  How do account for the 800
U>number usage?  Does your billing system automatically have a rate
U>based on DNIS or do you run a script to gather the data and then
U>manually apply a charge in billing?

We use 3Com's RADIUS server and have the call records stored in MS 
Access.  Then every few minutes we have an update and delete query which 
moves the recors to SQL server.  From there we have queries which run on 
the first day of the month and generate the billing info.  We created 
our own billing system which is all ASP based and sends user 
notifications based upon payement/service type, automatically charges 
the user's credit card, updates the RADIUS expiration date and sends 
electronic reports to our billing folks.  The last piece for me to write 
is the online credit card renewal webpage for folks to renew online with 
a credit card.  I suppose at this point buying a billing system would 
have been easier but we've got enough time into this that it works well 
and we can make any change we need easily.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42-21 9999

-