Subject: RE: (usr-tc) v.92 for quads update

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:11:48 +0000

> Unless you want to talk about percentages of products each company has
> abandoned...  3Com has a much much smaller base of hardware 
> and software
> to maintain.

And consequently, fewer people to maintain it. Put yourself in the place of
a technology manufacturer today. You have to keep costs down to be
competitive, so you can't hire an unlimited number of developers. You
constantly have to develop new product, because the competition is. Are you
going to have your developers working on shoe-horning new features onto old
products that are no longer manufactured or sold and may have hardware
limitations (processor too slow, not enough ROM or RAM, etc.) , or working
on new products?

> And if I recall correctly, aren't there actual hardware
> limitations in this (rather young) product line from Cisco?

The same may be (probably is) true of 3Com's quad modem cards.

-ML

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.