Subject: [USR-TC] Trunk Settings

From: Seth Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 21:16:46 +0000

We have two HiperDSPs in a TC rack and the second one suddenly stopped
taking calls.  When the first card filled up, callers would get a fast busy.
The card in slot 1 works fine, the card is slot 2 gets fast busies when card
one fills up.  I was on the phone with several telco techs for several hours
and they believe the lines are OK.

I was upgrading the HiperDSP code about the time the problem occurred, and
the card failed, so I thought it was related to that.  I plugged in a backup
card (just the NAC) into slot2 and the card came up and started taking
calls.

Which made me think the problem was related to the card.

BUT, we are using PRI T1s, the phone company says they are using using NI2,
and when I look at the trunk settings for the two slots they are identical
except for:

TRUNK SETTINGS:
                                       SLOT1
SLOT2
Jitter Attenuation             attenJitterOnTxmtr
attenJitterOnRcvr
Primary Switch Type       priSwNI2                         priSw5ESS

My question is whether the HiPer DSP can be set to the wrong primary switch
setting and still work?  Does the fact that the two different slots are set
to different Primary Switch Types mean anything?

Seth

----------------------------------------------------------------
Seth Jacobs, OnRamp113, 707-678-0267 voice
805 N. Lincoln, Suite D, Dixon, CA  95620
www.onramp113.com

---

From: Stephen Amadei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 21:58:40 +0000

Hey guys...

I just set up NTP for our TC's... but two of our cards are still
4.2.32... which doesn't support 'SET TIMEZONE US/Eastern'.  So those
systems are picking up GMT from my NTP server.  How can I get them to the
correct timezone?  Which version of the firmware did the timezone setting
appear?  Thanx.

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.NET!  CTO
Atlantic City, NJ

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:13:07 +0000

Also sprach Stephen Amadei
>systems are picking up GMT from my NTP server.  How can I get them to
>the correct timezone?

FWIW, the only thing you're dealing with is the display...NTP always
talks GMT/UTC, and the timezone setting only changes what is produced
for the user initerface or whatever.

>Which version of the firmware did the timezone setting appear?

The next one, I believe, 5.0.9.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:19:05 +0000

Also sprach Seth Jacobs
>My question is whether the HiPer DSP can be set to the wrong primary
>switch setting and still work?  Does the fact that the two different
>slots are set to different Primary Switch Types mean anything?

Not necessarily.  You really *should* match up the switch types with
what the telco is using, but having them wrong will not necessarily
cause the span not to work.

The variants of ISDN (customer-5ESS, custom-DMS, NI2, etc.) are really
pretty close, and for the most part, will likely interoperate...you may
not get all the features working exactly correctly, but most of us don't
make much use of features on ISDN beyond the basics, so it likely will
work with the mismatched settings...I'd fix them, though, just to be on
the safe side.

You should also be aware that I've had times when telco techs have told
me that they are checking the actual settings in the switch when they
really weren't...and when I finally *did* get someone to check the
actual switch...guess what...the settings were wrong!

So...if you really want to check it...stick the original card back in
and set it to 5ESS switch type and see if it works.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: Craig Gittens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:39:00 +0000

As far as I know 5ESS is NT1 which is Nortel. NI1-2 is a standard that
incorporates compatibility with NT1 and 5ESS switches so it should all be
good.

Craig.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jeff Mcadams
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 7:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Trunk Settings

Also sprach Seth Jacobs

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc