Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperDSP rev

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:20:49 +0000

u>> I just noticed today a large number of channels locked out on 3
u>> modem cards.  One of them had all but the last one and a D-channel
u>> left enabled!  The others were 1/3 to 1/2 dead, all the modems
u>> locked out in pairs.   This has probably been going on a while, but
u>> since we reboot everything on Sundays, I just happened to be looking
u>> at these chassis late enough in the week to see the problem today.
u> 
u>you actually reboot everything routinely (tc hubs)?  Do others do
u>this? Whats the man reason (i know i know, clear all the bugs!)

I only reboot when I load new software.  Last reboot was December.  
Prior to that it was May.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42-21 9999

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:59:51 +0000

>Prior to that it was May.

Pretty much the same here;
"The statistics were last updated Monday, 28 February 2000 at 7:47 ,
at which time 'Total Control Hub' had been up for 157 days, 5:16:36." 

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000/886-2500   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:37:26 +0000

Can a normal radius server (that support 3com VSA's) pick up logging
events from the NMC?  Does anyone have this working (using something other
than 3com's S&A server)?

thanks,

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:26:17 +0000

> events from the NMC?  Does anyone have this working (using something other

aaron.........yes.  I believe I use to do this.  Tell the nmc to use the
radius server, and then configure a logging group, and then set the log
events you wish to log to like "log" instead of "Trap"..........I think
thats it................

> thanks,

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 17:43:28 +0000

> events you wish to log to like "log" instead of "Trap"..........I think

Yeah, I got it working.  Had a couple problems, first being that the
channel-associated traps don't actually work, only the modem-associated
ones do.  So I was looking for something that was never gonna come.

What's troubling me now is that you can't set the modem traps via TCM at
the card level, only the template level.  You can set them via SNMP at the
modem level, and they work fine, and that's what I'm doing.  Problem is,
they don't get saved.

I don't use templates, so this is somewhat problematic.  Even if I did use
templates, I'm not sure how you go about copying a template to the modem
automatically when it boots.  What do template users do?  Just refresh the
modem, then save the modem to nvram?  This still wouldn't save the
traps setting.  Maybe I'm missing something fundemental about templates,
since I don't use them.  Do the channels get automatically set from the
templates if they've been saved from the templates (ie, the change 
indicator is not set) when they are booted?

Now I can't even get the trap settings to stick in a template, they seem
to get reset after a reboot even though I'm saving the template to
nvram.  Sigh.

thx,

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 17:58:30 +0000

Thus spake Aaron Nabil
>automatically when it boots.  What do template users do?  

I must say...I've never seen the usefulness of templates, nor figured
out how they were intended to be used.  I've always just set the modems
and saved the modem config to NVRAM.  Fortunately, or unfortunately,
I've never really made use of some of the more advanced features of the
DSPs, (being more of an IP type of person...I don't like to muck with
modems if I can avoid it) so this has been sufficient for what I've
worked with.

It would be nice to get a good explanation of how templates work, how
they were intended to be used, and what benefit they would present if
they were used in a typical ISP environment (since most of us here are
ISPs I believe with a smattering of others).

Sorry to respond to your question without answering it, but I figured it
might be useful to broaden out the question a bit.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 18:11:13 +0000

> out how they were intended to be used.

I thought I was the only one in the dark on all this!

My biggest complaint to software and hardware vendors today is the lack of
useable documentation. They create new features and commands without
documenting what the intent is and how they may be used.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 02:30:25 +0000

I agree, I just save to modems, I don't use templates either, mostly
because 3com never did a good job of explaining them.

Brian

-