Subject: (usr-tc) DUN 718 and 720 errors

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:41:09 +0000

Hi,

Running ARC version 4.2.32.  Uptime on all racks is 460 days, mix of DSP
and quads...

In the past two weeks, we've started getting tons of "718" and "720" DUN
errors on windows users ("cannot establish a dial-up networking
connection" and "unable to negotiate a compatible set of network
protocols"  respectively).  Some mac users are getting similar results but
rather than an error, authentication just times out.

I see this on all chassis, and even on spans from different telcos.

Additionally, when they get in, I'm seeing multiple start records, eg:

| channel_connected_to | slot_connected_to | username | nasidentifier |
framedipaddress | actual_time         | acctstatustype | acctsessionid |
+----------------------+-------------------+----------+---------------+
|                   19 |                14 | xxxxx   | x.x.x.5 |
216.223.197.116 | 2001-04-24 12:07:42 | Start          | 219286853     |
|                   19 |                14 | mapple   | x.x.x.5 |
216.223.197.116 | 2001-04-24 12:06:31 | Start          | 219286853     |

Same session ID, same IP address....

Any ideas?

Is there any other more active forum for this equipment?

Thanks,

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Kevin Tucker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:38:29 -0400

I've been getting similar results as of late.  Same ARC version, however I
noticed DSP card software versions of 2.0.60 and 2.1.9. According to 3com
software matrix 2.1.9 is not compatable with HiPerARC 4.2.32.  That is what
I'm experimenting with now.

Kevin
Tucker Communications, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Charles Sprickman
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 12:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) DUN 718 and 720 errors

Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

-

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:57:05 +0000

What kind of uptimes on your ARCs...  I'm seeing much less of this on one
I just rebooted.  It had been at 460 days previous...

Charles

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:15:10 +0000

I'm pretty sure both of these issues had been answered awhile back, but I
can't seem to find the information. So, here goes...

1. I have a chassis with a current address pool of 96 addresses. The /24
the pool is taking from has no more available addresses. I want to swap it
out for a 200 address pool from another /24. How do I do this?

2. I have a dedicated ISDN user that needs 60 routable addresses for his
LAN. Preferably, the assigned /26 would be from a seperate /24 than the one
his static dial-up IP is from. What do I need to set up on the ARC so it
routes his /26 through the static IP? Would it be easier to just make his
static IP the initial address in the /26 with a 255.255.255.192 mask?

Thanks,

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Kevin Tucker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:01:57 +0000

Seems I'm rebooting DSP cards quite frequently.  I've been standing next to
chassis and watched a DSP card just reboot all on its own.  Of coarse no
calls can come in unless I go to TCM and do a Hdwr reset manually.  I
rebooted the ARC 3 days ago, (Monday), hoping that would repair dico
problems.

-klt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Charles Sprickman
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 6:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) DUN 718 and 720 errors

Charles

-

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:23:34 +0000

460 days is kinda a lot -- how much free RAM do you have?  Might be a
memory leak somewhere, and 460 days would be long enough to run it out.
Very strange things happen when an ARC runs outta memory -- there is a
specific reproducible leak in 5.0.9 that let me find this out the hard
way. :)  (I've not yet tried moving to 5.1.99, I just found a way to avoid
triggering the leak.)

It'd be interesting to see what your Radius server is logging other than
accounting records (if it logs anything other than accounting records --
i.e. Cistron writes some useful stuff to a "radius.log" file.)...  and
also if the ARC is sending anything interesting via syslog when things
fail.  Without those two logs and a look at free memory I'd be completely
in the dark as to what's going on...

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:47:51 +0000

5.1.99-8 works (at least on our ARC's with 128Megs) - uptime is very good
(as was 4.2.32-1).  I would never let any ARC or DSP stay up for more than
60 days unless I had a reason to (my Cisco routers and Solaris x86 servers
years, but not USR/3com/Commworks code!).

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Andrews" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) DUN 718 and 720 errors

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:20:49 +0000

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Mike Andrews wrote:

> 460 days is kinda a lot -- how much free RAM do you have?

How much do I really have?  I don't know.  The show memory command showed
only about 20M of 128M used.  However, after rebooting one and comparing
it's behaviour to the other cards, I found the following:

-"save all" took about 5 seconds on the newly rebooted card, vs. 4-5
 minutes on the cards with high uptimes.
-After working on the console a few minutes, the high uptime cards became
 sluggish in responding, and eventually just stopped making sense.
 Pressing "enter" five or six times would not do anything, the seventh
 push would.  By the time I issued a reboot, nothing was echoing back
 to the screen.
-One arc could not even muster a login prompt; it had to be rebooted
 via TCM.
-My DUN 718 and 720 errors went away after rebooting.

> Might be a memory leak somewhere, and 460 days would be long enough to
> run it out. Very strange things happen when an ARC runs outta memory

It certainly seems so.  I guess I'll have to start putting these things on
a schedule.  Kind of sucks to have to do that.  I've got a 2501 here going
on 3 years, and it's pretty happy.  And our colo contract at the telco
only allows after-hours access at about $500/hr. so I have to boot the
arcs during the day, as I don't trust them that much to always come back.

> in the dark as to what's going on...

I didn't see anything odd in radiator's logs, other than the multiple
starts and stops.

Syslog had (and still has) this quite often, but nothing more of note:

Apr 26 22:00:56 TC-2-HARC.oldslip.inch.com At 02:00:56, Facility "GWC
Modem Driver", Level "UNUSUAL":: GWCMDM_AL, slot:14/mod:24 TAPI OPEN
failed
Apr 26 22:00:56 TC-2-HARC.oldslip.inch.com At 02:00:56, Facility
"GWC Modem Driver", Level "UNUSUAL":: GWCMDM_AL, slot:14/mod:24 TAPI_OPEN
failed, retrying

and

Apr 26 22:14:18 TC-4-HARC.oldslip.inch.com At 02:12:14, Facility "IP
Routing Process", Level "UNUSUAL":: ip_rter_del_ifb: IFB 0.0.0.0 does not
exist

Apr 26 22:14:30 TC-4-HARC.oldslip.inch.com At 02:12:14, Facility "IP",
Level "UNUSUAL":: ip_fwd_del_ifb_rsp(): received message saying failed to
delete or disable IFB of network ID 10

Apr 26 22:14:30 TC-4-HARC.oldslip.inch.com At 02:12:14, Facility
"Configurator", Level "UNUSUAL":: REMOVE DYNAMIC NETWORK Failed - Protocol
= 1 NetAddr = 7facfb 8, NetId = 16

Apr 26 22:14:30 TC-4-HARC.oldslip.inch.com At 02:12:14, Facility "IP",
Level "UNUSUAL":: ip_fwd_remove_dynamic_net: FWD_REMOVE_DYNAMIC_NET_REQ
failed :  ((bad status)

Interesting, but likely unrelated.

Thanks,

Charles

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 06:44:43 +0000

> -My DUN 718 and 720 errors went away after rebooting.

Gulp.  You're definitely running out of *something*.  :)  Probably memory.

> arcs during the day, as I don't trust them that much to always come back.

Well, yeah, but to be fair a 2501 is doing a hell of a lot less. :)

If you're worried about the ARC not coming back up, hook its console port
to the AUX port of your 2501, so you can remotely connect to the console
in a pinch...  you can jump in and even TFTP new firmware down as the card
boots, which is good on the older 64 meg cards that are short on flash. Or
put a 2509/2511 in so you can hook all your consoles up.  If I could only
wire one card's console up that way though, it'd probably be the NMC. If
your NMC is alive, you can use it to reboot the other cards.  If your NMC
is inaccessable, you're kinda hosed....  and my NMC freaks out much more
often than my ARC does.  Hell, I just found that "snmpbulkwalk" crashes
my NMC's almost instantly.  Ugh.

-