Subject: (usr-tc) Total Control Program

From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 03:16:14 +0000

Hello all.

I am new to this list and have recently started helping out a associate ISP 
that has TC boxes and TC programs to handle the boxes.

I have looked through the recent archives, but could not find the answers 
to my basic (and probably stupid) questions.

These are older TC boxes running TC Radius on an older NT server.  I 
recently upgraded their main server to a new Dell box with 2000 and 
installed Access to handle the DB, but apparently they cannot find the 
original TC programs :-|

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the programs so that I can get 
the new server up and running?  I have looked all over for a source but 
have had no luck as of yet and I am not too keen on calling 3COM, yet....

Thanks in advance for any help on this.  I am new at the TC stuff as I have 
been running Ascend boxes with Emerald for years so my expertise lies in 
that arena so far  :-))

Paul M. Ledbetter

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 07:06:35 +0000

Hi again.

I am still looking for the TC program, if anyone is able to help me, but I 
also have another question.

Can the TC program work with an Ascend 6000?  I want to deploy one in this 
same location that I am needing the program for and I need to be able to 
use their current user database.

Or is there a better way to handle Radius for both TC boxes and Ascend routers?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

At 08:07 PM 6/28/2001 -0500, Paul M. Ledbetter wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I am new to this list and have recently started helping out a associate 
>ISP that has TC boxes and TC programs to handle the boxes.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help on this.  I am new at the TC stuff as I 
>have been running Ascend boxes with Emerald for years so my expertise lies 
>in that arena so far  :-))
>
>Paul M. Ledbetter
>
>
>-

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 18:39:47 +0000

What type of TC program are you looking for?   As far TC working with Ascend
and using the same current user database, any radius server talking to the
same database should be fine.

-V

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 11:58 PM
Subject: Ascend connection and Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Program -

-

---

From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 18:56:32 +0000

>same database should be fine.

I am looking for the radius program, along with the manager program.

On the Ascend aspect, I have been working on making the Ascend talk 
correctly with the TC Radius, but I keep getting errors.  I have changed 
any/all parameters on the Ascend box to see if there would be any effect on 
the authentication process, but either I am missing something or they just 
will not work together nicely.

The Ascend does request authentication but get's an 185 Error Code back 
(according to Ascend means invalid credentials from the users) but this 
happens to all of the users when they are dialing into the Ascend, but when 
they dial into other USR boxes they authenticate fine, so I am a bit stumped.

I have added the Ascend box into the Radius Clients area of the Security 
and Accounting Database Manager with both an Ascend Radius Client and 
Generic Radius Client as the description, with no favorable results.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Paul

-

---

From: Tabellione Sebastian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 19:06:08 +0000

Do you restart the TC Service ?

IÂ´m Using the TC Radius with :

1 Total Control
2 Lucent Portmasters
1 Cisco 2511
1 3Com SuperStack

Without problems....

Sebastian
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: Ascend connection and Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Program -

-

---

From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 19:11:21 +0000

Every time I make a change to the TC Manger, yes.

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 19:58:13 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul M. Ledbetter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: Ascend connection and Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Program -

> I am looking for the radius program, along with the manager program.
I am not sure what manager program you are looking for.  Basically to manage
TC there is not a
real good GUI,  HARM is a product that Commworks make which is good, other
than that, CLI on the ARC or using TCM for the entire chassis is your only
option.

> will not work together nicely.
What version of radius do you have?  When you say TC radius what exactly is
it?  Is it 3com Security and Accounting radius server or is it SBR or is it
some generic radius server?

> they dial into other USR boxes they authenticate fine, so I am a bit
stumped.
There is a lot of attributes that can be sent out when a user authenticates
from a radius server.
Some are vendor specific and some are standard radius attributes.  From what
you say here, it looks like
the Ascend does not seem like one or a set of attributes that is sent out by
the radius.
One of the ways you can see what your radius sends is do a 'monitor radius'
on the TC ARC and see what the radius server sends back.  If you send that
access accept packet back, I can tell you what are the attributes that
may have ascend confused.

Typically Ascends convention of VSA is kinda unique, it uses standard
numbers for VSA.

> Generic Radius Client as the description, with no favorable results.
Well the problem is with the access accept packet returned by the Radius
server, unless we get a capture of
what is being sent out by the radius server, its only a guess, so do a
capture on the TC of the access accept packet and send it over.

-V

-