Subject: (usr-tc) What would you do.

From: Dataheart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:08:31 +0000

I have been given the chance to replace all my 3com gear, and I am
deciding if I want to.

Has anyone had experience with other vendors. I have been thinking about
Cisco, or Ascend, or is HiPer the way to go.
I know Cisco has far better support, but all in all please give me your
opinions backed with reasons what would be the best way to go.

Thanks,
Aaron

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "Jason A. Nunnelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:25:05 +0000

You cannot beat the support your get with the Livingston team. I was a
much much happier person with Livingston (Lucent Tech). However, once
your get past the fact that the tech people are not as personable and/or
concerned about the way they sound, 3COM support is pretty OK - when you
are specific about the problem you are working on. They got on with my
telco and pushed through a tough situation with the provisioning. So, they
can support you. I bet Ascend becomes more supported with LT's involvement.
So, since the PM standard is being scrapped (will miss it), and the 3COM
is moving ahead - I'd say buy 3COM, buy CISCO or LT Stock, and keep your
eye on V-IP and DSL with CISCO - they seem to be pursuing this side agress-
ively. And, keep in mind they are still the best on routing equipment - so
HIGHER bandwidth products may be better with CISCO.

I have used: CISCO, 3COM, Livingston, and ASCEND (not the access routers
with ASCEND). I prefer the performance of 3COM for 56K, Livingston for the
admin functions (and reporting is better - 3COM reporting SUCKS! as far as
I can tell so far). I hated CISCO, but that was because I am not a fan of
the way the company deals with clients - and prolly could say that my comp-
etitors/friends who use them get fine results and love them. I used ASCEND
only as the P130. So, my experience is useless - accept I can say they use
to be tough to get information from. But, again - that is changing! So, I
personally bet ASCEND will be a major cool deal soon - plus promos to boost
their market share.

Personal Opinions - little complaints with 3COM when it's running right.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Dataheart
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 12:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) What would you do.

Thanks,
Aaron

-

-