Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Static Routing Question

From: Colin Wantling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:00:27 +0000

But 10.1.1.9 and 10.1.1.12 are on the same subnet. I would not expect the
router to accept this route to host.

The Harc gets packets to the local destination using the MAC address on the
local subnet.

IP aliasing might provide a way to do what you want.

Kind regards,

Colin Wantling

Energis NV.

	Also sprach Mike Storjohann
	>I am trying to add a static route to my Hiper ARC that will send
all
	>traffic bound for 10.1.1.9 to 10.1.1.12.  Here is the line I try to
	>type in to the CLI.
	 
	>add ip route 10.1.1.9/32 gate 10.1.1.12 met 1
	 
	>What I am trying to accomplish is to get the traffic bound for my
web
	>server (10.1.1.9) to go through another box (10.1.1.12) first to
	>monitor the traffic. I get the following error.

	>ERROR - Cannot add a static route for a range of addresses that is
	>reachable from a directly connected network. 
	 
	Hrmm...I call that a bug.  Looks like if you have a directly
connected
	route, then it won't let you put in a more specific route...There
really
	should be nothing special about directly connected routes that
prevent
	you from putting in more specifics in there.
	-- 
	Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
	Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
	IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

	-
	 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
	 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
	 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages
send
	 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:19:37 +0000

Also sprach Colin Wantling
>But 10.1.1.9 and 10.1.1.12 are on the same subnet.

Bah!  Get that classful crap out of your head! :)  The IP address
10.1.1.12 is most definitely not in 10.1.1.9/32.

>The Harc gets packets to the local destination using the MAC address on
>the local subnet.

For a directly connected route, yes.  There's no reason that you
shouldn't be able to have a more specific static route though.

>IP aliasing might provide a way to do what you want.

Kludge at best, but until 3Com fixes the code...this is probably how I
would pursue it as well.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-