Subject: RE: (usr-tc) V.92

From: Brian Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:20:22 +0000

We are demoing a 5400 from Cisco and I can tell you that it doesn't give
any better performance than the Total Control. We don't have their
CiscoWorks software so I'm not sure what it can do, but I REALLY like
TCManager for figuring out problems. 

We are about to decide to stay all 3Com but the v92 issue (or lack of
issues <grin) is alarming.

We'll see what the hype is at ISPCon.

Brian

Brian Becker
President, Poplar Bluff Internet, Inc. (www.semo.net)
Home of TotallyFabricated.com Software: 
  Total Scrutinizer (www.TotalScrutinizer.com) - Tech Support Just Got Easier!
  WebGabber (www.WebGabber.com) - html-based Chat Software

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Lists
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 9:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) V.92

> I'm not *trying* to rag on Cisco.  My point was that people are all up
> in arms about v.92 not being supported on the Quad modems, and are
> threatening to go buy Cisco RAS gear, when Cisco is not supporting
> v.92 on older equipment either.  Isn't there some irony in that?  I
> sure think so.

Our point is that if we have to spend money upgrading, we'll probably
spend it on Cisco after the treatment we've had from 3COM.

We stay with 3COM because it does the job and a change would be
expensive.  If we have to spend money...

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jonathan Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:07:06 +0000

Brian Becker ([email-masked]) wrote:

> any better performance than the Total Control. 

We're demoing an AS5300 right now and are pretty happy with it.
The only items still pending evaluation are the PIAFS code and
Cisco Works, but if we don't hit a showstopper, we've probably
bought our last 3Com RAS.

Do you plan to put Cisco support into Total Scrutinizer, BTW?

> We don't have their

TCM is a very good product, and I will certainly be comparing CiscoWorks
against that standard.  In fact, TCM is what we like best about 3Com
gear.  As you say, it's pretty good for figuring out problems (basic
ones, anyway).  But then, so is the debugging output in IOS :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne, CCNA                            Network Engineer

-