Subject: RE: [USR-TC] problem in two simultaneous login(Winnt/2k/9x)

From: Scott Trautman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:13:03 +0000

What you're likely running into is that the Win2k,NT logon has MPPP turned
on -- and as the 2nd login comes in, it's trying to bond it to the first.

I don't know that we ever figured out how to turn this off on the Win2k/NT
machine, just identify the situation and get people moved to different
logons for Win2k/NT.

That drove us nuts on a particular account for a good 2 weeks until we
started doing a 'monitor ppp' and had MPPP negotiations going on for the 2nd
session.

If on another TCS1000 unit, not doing MPPP across chassis, well, no
problemo. The Win2k/NT'r can sit and wait for that 2nd session (with the
same username that is) all it likes.

Some o' the smarter folks here on this list can probably indicate a way of
making sure MPPP is shut off either--or both at the Win side or the TCS
side- for the session. Radius attribute?

SMT

Scott Trautman
President/Owner              www.gdinet.com
Global Dialog Internet      608-240-4638,7fax
2049 Skaalen Road         
Stoughton WI 53589

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 22:21:28 +0000

Also sprach Scott Trautman
>started doing a 'monitor ppp' and had MPPP negotiations going on for
>the 2nd session.

>problemo. The Win2k/NT'r can sit and wait for that 2nd session (with
>the same username that is) all it likes.

Two seperate machines were using the same Endpoint Descriptor Class and
ID?  Bummer.  That's why Endpoint Descriptors exist...to distinguish
between two different machines running MP on the same username.

>Some o' the smarter folks here on this list can probably indicate a way
>of making sure MPPP is shut off either--or both at the Win side or the
>TCS side- for the session. Radius attribute?

Can't use RADIUS as the values that negotiate the use of MP have already
been received and ACK'ed by the time PAP/CHAP/whatever authentication
happens.

Another alternative is to get the machines to use different Endpoint
Descriptors, but I don't know if that's any easier than turning off MP
altogether.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: pankaj <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:37:41 +0000

Thanks Scott,

I got the clue from u, I found how to disable MPPP in win2k(Just
uncheck option for multilink negotiation in the ppp dialer
config-network)
I try disabling MPPP in win2k and tested this senario, its working ok
on win2k and 9x simulteniously.

I tried "monitor ppp" for say x user but got nothing on screen
???????

--pankaj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Trautman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 8:43 PM
Subject: RE: [USR-TC] problem in two simultaneous login(Winnt/2k/9x)

> started doing a 'monitor ppp' and had MPPP negotiations going on for
the 2nd
> problemo. The Win2k/NT'r can sit and wait for that 2nd session (with
the
> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>