Subject: (usr-tc) Weird problem with the dreaded HCF modem

From: Walt Gnann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 01:10:19 +0000

I have a customer using a Win2K Dell box that has a Connexant HCF modem (software rev. 2.1.2.164.013.023).  In a nutshell he can
connect and stay connected just fine, however, when he attempts to disconnect it takes about a minute or so to do so.  The modem
log shows the following information when hanging up the modem:

09-17-2001 14:16:16.89 - Hardware hang-up by lowering DTR.
09-17-2001 14:16:18.09 - WARNING: The modem did not respond to lowering DTR. Trying software hang-up...
09-17-2001 14:16:18.09 - Send: +++
09-17-2001 14:16:19.09 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-17-2001 14:16:19.09 - Interpreted response: Ok
09-17-2001 14:16:19.09 - Send: ATH<cr>
09-17-2001 14:16:21.09 - Recv: <no response>
09-17-2001 14:16:21.09 - WARNING: Unrecognized response. Retrying...

This is repeated several times before a disconnect occurs.

He connects/disconnects to another ISP just fine (not using TC terminal servers).  We're using the 3.0.108 code on the Multispan
DSP, 5.1.99 on the HyperArc and 8.0.9 on the Hiper NMC.  Customer has had Dell replace the modem, reinstall the modem drivers,
removed and recreated the DUN entry for us, and tried the basic &F string on the modem.

Any suggestions?

Walt
-----------------------------------------------
Walter N. Gnann
ISLC, President
[email-masked]
http://www.islc.net
843.770.1000
fax: 843.770.1002
-----------------------------------------------

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 04:26:52 +0000

Also sprach Walt Gnann
>I have a customer using a Win2K Dell box that has a Connexant HCF modem
>(software rev. 2.1.2.164.013.023).  In a nutshell he can connect and
>stay connected just fine, however, when he attempts to disconnect it
>takes about a minute or so to do so.  The modem log shows the following
>information when hanging up the modem:

>He connects/disconnects to another ISP just fine (not using TC terminal
>servers).  We're using the 3.0.108 code on the Multispan DSP, 5.1.99 on
>the HyperArc and 8.0.9 on the Hiper NMC.  Customer has had Dell replace
>the modem, reinstall the modem drivers, removed and recreated the DUN
>entry for us, and tried the basic &F string on the modem.

>Any suggestions?

This is almost assuredly a modem driver issue at heart.  The modem on
the customer's computer is not responding as it should to local control
from the customer's machine.  There is nothing you can do on the TC side
of things to affect that.

That being said, the explanation for the quick disconnect from another
ISP and not from you is likely that the other ISPs equipment is likely
hanging up in a different manner or more rapidly (there's about 3 or 4
layers of protocols there...behavior is dependant upon which one get's
the disconnect propogated across to its peer protocol state machine
first).
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-