Subject: (usr-tc) Mac Problems with Open Transport 1.1.x

From: Randy Cosby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:00:13 +0000

Here is a note from my Mac tech.  He's seeing strange problems with our
older Mac users, where the first time they log on, they don't get in.  After
that, they're fine until they reboot.   I think it's been going on for a
long
time, but he just got very annoyed about it last week.  Our radius logs
show that the user DOES authenticate successfully.

---

This is true for any Macintosh (68k or PPC) running Open Transport (version
1.1.1 and 1.1.2).

The first time they dial-up after every boot, they get an authentication
failed error.  It is successful every time after that until they restart the
computer again, where it fails the first time again.

This is generally only a problem on macs running System 7.5 to 7.6.1.  The
highest that can be installed on 68k machines is System 7.6.1.  If they are
running System 7.1, they need to install MacTCP, which does not have the
problem.  If they have System 8.1 or higher, Open Transport 1.3.1 can be
installed (I believe I noticed that Open Transport 1.3.0 had the same
problem as 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, but I don't have another computer to verify
that), which also does not have the problem.

It is a problem that exists on macs running Mac OS 8.0, because you can't
install Open Transport 1.3 or higher on Mac OS 8.0, but you can update Mac
OS 8.0 to 8.1, and then install Open Transport 1.3, then update to 1.3.1 to
correct the problem.

---

HiperARC 4.1.59-6
HiperDSP's running 2.0.60

Ideas?

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.