Subject: (usr-tc) Foreign Country

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:34:09 +0000

Everyone,

We have a customer who has a laptop and travels a lot to foreign 
countries.  He dials (or at least attempts to) us via AT&T USA direct 
where he dials an access numebr in the foreign country and then once he 
gets the prompt tone he dials us.  He has a 3Com Noteworthy PCMCIA modem 
card.  He has yet to be able to get this work work anywhere other than 
the US and Canada.  At this point it appears the PCMCIA card is looking 
for US dialtone and not foreign country dialtone.  As soon as he clicks 
connect in DUN he sees it try for about a second and then it immediately 
disconnects.  He says he never hears dialtone come up.  Has anyone seen 
this before ? He says the dialtone is different from country to country.  
I am thinking we need to add X0 in the DUN extra settings option to 
disable dialtone detection within the modem itself.  Thoughts ?

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42-21 9999

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Sonny Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:20:36 +0000

I travel a lot around the world with my MegaHerzt PCMCIA (had several of 
them and also the old 3Com PCMCIA LAN+Modem) and I never had that type of 
problems except in Germany, France and England, which uses different plugs 
for phones. But once you configure the modem for the correct country, that 
also goes away. In the other countries in Latin America, Europe, Asia and 
Australia I just plug my modem to the telephone outlet in my hotel room and 
dial using AT&T to the US and then to my ISP. Usually when I don't get dial 
tone is because I'm using the wrong outlet. Dial tones in hotels are usually 
the same that you get in the US. That might be different if he is dialing 
without going through a PBX. In that case, uncheck Wait for dialtone in DUN 
and see if it goes. But most countries use the same dial tone as the US.
Sorry I can't be of further assistance.

Sonny

>From: [email-masked] (Jeff Binkley)
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: (usr-tc) Foreign Country
>Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:30:07 -0500
>
>Everyone,
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

-

---

From: Colin Wantling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:32:58 +0000

Jeff,

	Some of the latest PCMCIA modem cards have a utility to choose
country easily from the desktop. I have used an ActionTec V90 FM560LKI
successfully in various countries in Europe and Asia. Don't have to bother
your head what it's doing or what init codes it's using!

	Colin

-