Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Websites failing on TCHub vs Ascend... Where to star t?

From: Robb Bryn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:00:03 +0000

I'm pulling my hair out on this one.  The chassis is in public IP space
(208.133.28.2 & 208.133.28.51), I am not blocking ICMP traffic in any way.
I've set via RADIUS on all users to a default MTU of 1500 (Chassis reports
user MTU set to 1500 when doing a "show remote user").  I can ping and
telnet to both sites from a dialup.  Just can't get to them with a browser.
On stanews.wilmington.net I can get text... no pictures and it's dog slow.
On www.genforum.com and www.genealogy.com it doesn't come up in the browser
at all (reports no connection to the server).  I'm clueless on this
one...Sounds like a dead ringer for MTU,, but can't figure.

But on my Ascend & Portmaster... No problems.  

Thanks
Robb Bryn 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Aaron Nabil
> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 7:49 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Websites failing on TCHub vs Ascend... Where to
> start?
> 
>
Here's another idea.  It could be a MTU discovery problem.  If you have
either numbered your chassis out of private IP space or are blocking ICMP,
that might be what's causing it.

This might be another hint (I was hoping they were Solaris, since that
would reinforce the MTU theory)...  

    ridge.spiritone.com% telnet www.genforum.com
    Trying 216.15.177.242...
    Connected to www.genforum.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
    Kernel 2.0.36 on an i686
    login:
    login:

    ridge.spiritone.com% telnet starnews.wilmington.net
    Trying 205.218.216.4...
    Connected to starnews.wilmington.net.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
    WISE release 1.22 (i686 optimized)
    Kernel 2.2.13 on an i686
    login:
    login:

--
Aaron Nabil

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Sam Lowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 02:51:24 +0000

Hate to say it, but this has been a long time TC problem that 3Com has no
interest in fixing.  Krish worked on it for while until I could not make it
fail on demand.  Bet you have an ISDN router on the remote end!  It is
sporadic and dificult to pinpoint.  Cost me thousands in business since we
could keep the customers webservers running.  Just won't pass http traffic
(either way).  Wish I could help.  The problem never went away.  Once you
reboot the router, you are okay until the problem comes back.

Sorry I wasn't much help, but I just wanted you to know what your odds were.
We fixed it by no longer buying TCs.  Our Cisco's work fine for these
applications (we use 3640s and call the customer to avoid the metering
charges.)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robb Bryn" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 4:19 PM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Websites failing on TCHub vs Ascend... Where to start?

-