Subject: RE: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking dialtone

From: Fred Ebnereza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:06:47 +0000

Check your modems configuration if it is happening on some specific modems
check their configuration if they are the same as the other switch your
phone line and find out if the problem still on the same modem/s. My guess
is you have some bad modems that don't reset after disconnections.
Have fun

-----Original Message-----
From: pankaj [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 5:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking dialtone

Hi folks,
I have nasty senerio,  I have many analog lines. 3com(tc1000)

Now some of them are behaving nasty. Once or twise user able to login
properly in that line.

Now in some lines I am geeting busy tone, evenif line is free(i.e no
user loged in).

Now I unplug that line from modem , and leave it in air, but still I
got busy tone on that number, Than I pluged it in to
phone-intrument(handset) and than also I got busy tone on that number.
now i pickeup the receiver and check the dialtone.Dialtone was ok,
after checking dial tone I was able to get ring on that number, and
user is also able to login.

The same trouble I faced in many lines in three-fine quards-modems.
My telco people come and check earthing and all but seems everything
ok.

Any clue will help me out ??

Thanks
pankaj

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

---

From: pankaj <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:23:20 +0000

Thanks
May be its my bad luck with badmodems , But Give me more hint to check
is it really bad.

What settings do I need to check and how???

--pankaj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Ebnereza" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: RE: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking
dialtone

---

From: Craig Gittens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:20:26 +0000

My guess if you unplug the line from the chassis and it is STILL busy is
that the exchange serving your lines doesn't have capacity and can't supply
a free line. Check with the TELCO for stats.

Craig.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of pankaj
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 10:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking
dialtone

Thanks

--pankaj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Ebnereza" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: RE: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking
dialtone

---

From: pankaj <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:33:06 +0000

But Craig,
 Its not the question of telco's capacity. Cause As soon as I plug
that line in to telephone instrumnet(handset) and pickup the receiver
to check weather dialtone in coming or not. Dialtone is there. So
after checking presence of dialtone on that line, if I will dial that
number, I am receiving good ring on linepluged handset.  Now after
again unpluging that line from handset and putting it open in the air,
I am receiving good ring going on , and again pluging it in quad
getting faxtone(handsake).

I dont know how to and what to check configuration of quad modems.

Thanks
pankaj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Gittens" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 8:48 PM
Subject: RE: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking
dialtone

> > Check your modems configuration if it is happening on some
specific
> modems
> > phone line and find out if the problem still on the same modem/s.
My
> guess

---

From: Craig Gittens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:36:04 +0000

Ahhh ok. I assumed even after you put the handset on and you dialled it
again you got a busy tone. My bad. I would tend to agree then that you have
bad modems.

Craig.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 3:26 AM

But Craig,

Thanks
pankaj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Gittens" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 8:48 PM
Subject: RE: [USR-TC] analog/busy tone/working ok after checking
dialtone

specific
My

---

From: Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:16:04 +0000

Hi Pankaj. It sounds to me like your cards aren't hanging
up properly.  I've seen this in consumer level analog modem, 
sometimes after a nearby lightning storm.  The user can use
the modem once, but at the end of the call, the phone line is 
still off-hook and the computer needs to be unplugged from the
phone line in order to place regular calls.

If a phone is taken off hook, you'll get a normal dial-tone for
about 30 seconds. You'll then get a recording telling your to
hang up and try again which takes about another 30 seconds,
and then you'll get the loud/fast busy to alert you that the phone
has been left off hook.  However, this fast-busy will only last for
about 2 minutes and eventually the telco switch will mark the
line as bad and the line will go silent.  Incomming calls will be
greeted with a busy from their perspective, and your line will
appear dead (silent) from your perspective.  However, all it
takes to reset the line is to put the phone on hook and pick it
up again, which is what you would be doing when you plug in
a telephone and then pick up the receiver.  We've had analog
modems in an Equinox modem pool do a simular thing, and
we've had to replace the modem cards to fix the problem. :-(

Todd Chamberlain