Subject: (usr-tc) RMA w/o contract

From: Martin Lathoud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:43:20 +0000

Hello,

I read once in some list that even without infamous contract support it is
possible to get RMA on defective hardware. To be simple, my Netserver card
was probably refurbished and faulty even if bought as brand new.. Not
enhanced packet bus version,  bought in 1998. It crashes from once
a day to once a week, whatever the settings or firmware, even krish didn't
find anything conclusive <g>. I haven't be able to get a replacement when
I had a valid contract since cross-ship was not included and I don't have
any spare NS. To sumup, even under warranty, forget 3Com unless you can
stock replacements yourself. Now I have another NS card, so I have time to
waste and I want to ship my older NS card back to RMA. Any info/tel # on
the way to proceed?

TIA,
Martin

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:12:02 +0000

> find anything conclusive <g>. I haven't be able to get a replacement when

Sometime in March 1998 - when you first reported the problem, I remember 
having a replacement sent to you.  5 or six months later you reported a 
similar problem on a different card, to help you out I has asked you get 
in touch with the sales people in canada and also had the sales people 
give you call in ths regard.

I also remember talking with you after you had contacted the sales 
people.  At this point of time the best I can do is have you open a 
ticket and get crash dumps to figure out the problem and if its a 
hardware issue, we can see what we can do in replacing that.  I do 
remember that there was an issue of your netsever being rebooted by 
someone and we had to change the password etc.  

Card rebooting every week is bad and is a serious problem, if you are 
willing to work with us sure give me call on monday - 847-262-2760

krish

-

---

From: Martin Lathoud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:44:51 +0000

> give you call in ths regard.
The replacement has never been sent.. You asked logistics to contact me
and it's been a no-go since they don't cross ship unless contract support
allows to, which was not the case.

> someone and we had to change the password etc.  
Well, I can't remember of someone rebooting it so we had to change the
pass.. It was rebooting itself often enough.

> willing to work with us sure give me call on monday - 847-262-2760
Right now I have a used Netserver in replacement, which has not crashed in
2 days (running 24h at over 75% ports capacity). If it's still up on
monday, I'd say that there is a real improvment over the older one..
About the standart vs. enhanced packet bus version, you never told me what
the real difference why, maybe because I just bought it at the time. What
I know is the 'new' card looks faster (12.5K at 45,333 on text files with
47 users in).
If you can get me a RMA for the card, I'll go for it.. Unless you really
feel the need for more debugging, which is probably not the right way
since 3.8.1 is quite outdated (and even 3.8.67).

Thanks,
Martin

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:24:40 +0000

> since 3.8.1 is quite outdated (and even 3.8.67).

Getting a RMA - replacing the card can be done if found necessary.  The 
only way we can determine that is finding the fault with the card.  For 
that we need to take a look and identify the problem.  That would mean 
debugging no matter what.  If we do see a problem we will do the 
necessary to get you back working.

krish

-