Subject: (usr-tc) State of the Hub followup

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:43:02 +0000

Well, I've gotten answers concerning the state of support contract rules
for Total Control equipment.

Support is still purchased on a per-chassis basis, with surcharges for
having more than a certain number of ports in the chassis, and its still
required to have the same support coverage on all chassis within a
single site.  These are the exact same support contract rules that have
driven many of us to stop carrying coverage of our TC chassis, and rely
on our own wits, and resellers.  I think this speaks very poorly of
3Com that, after two to three years, these issues still have not been
addressed at all!

I still fail to understand why support is required to be done on a
per-chassis basis when it would actually be *easier* to do it on a
per-card basis.  Serial numbers for individual cards are easily
retrieved via SNMP/TCM from the chassis, serial numbers for the chassis
requires copying the number off a barcode label physically applied to
the chassis.  Serial numbers are already tracked on a per-card number by
3Com (witnessed by the ability to sign up for warranty coverage of
equipment on a per-card level on the totalservice web site by entering
the serial number of the individual card).  I still fail to understand
why 3Com requires equal coverage on all equipment in a location (this
was stated as being on a single site...our past experience indicates
that 3Com will not live up to this statement), I also fail to understand
why 3Com requires equal levels of coverage on all the different *types*
of equipment in a location.  I don't think it takes a genius to realize
that a quad card failing and taking 4 ports out of service is
considerably less critical than a HiPer Arc failing and taking up to 300
(or more) ports out of service.

I invite 3Com to share thier reasoning for these support contract rules,
and especially invite 3Com to rectify the problems as they currently
exist.  I hope solutions presented will be substantive solutions, not
someone calling me to once again explain what the support coverage
options that currently exist are.  I've been through that many times,
explaining it again isn't going to solve the problems.

I would be interested in hearing what the "unbundled service" offerings
shown on 3Com's web site are about
(http://support.3com.com/infodeli/services/index.htm).  The individual I
spoke with (who was very personable) indicated that unbundled services
indicated on that web page are *not* available for the Total Control
equipment.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:02:36 +0000

The real question for 3Com is why they don't want our money? They are losing
support $ because there support plan is unworkable and too damned expensive.
If they had a workable plan that was affordable then I suspect they would
have a very large take rate among their customers. It begs the question of
whether they really want to support the product at all, as they are
INTENTIONALLY limiting the number support customers. Seems to me like we
need to reach the right person at 3Com who would like to rack up some easy
sales $ to change the plan.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 11:40 AM
Subject: (usr-tc) State of the Hub followup

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:27:27 +0000

nod, and those of us who have not had support contracts for years, would
probably be using less support than those who are paying them now........

Brian

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-