Subject: (usr-tc) setting up a t1 connection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 01:43:45 +0000

At 03:55 PM 6/1/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Also sprach Jim Johnson
>>Recently, in preparation for a telco switchover, we have been testing a
>>new phone company and currently we have three PRIs up.
>
>>About a week ago, we start getting numerous reports of disconnect
>>problems, so I started looking at this problem and I am a bit
>>frustrated.
>
>>Of course, the phone company monitored the circuits and declared
>>everything fine on their end.
>
>>The only thing that I am seeing is a small number (0 to 100) of Code
>>Violation errors in each 15 minute interval when I look at the Near End
>>Current Intervals.
>
>>From looking at the stats, these errors initially were only showing up
>>on the third PRI, so we went and powered down the chassis and moved the
>>circuits around to make sure it wasn't the equipment.
>
>>However, today I am seeing these errors on all the PRI's.
>
>>What would cause these errors and what should I look at from here?
>
>Line Coding generally refers to AMI and/or B8ZS.  You might have your
>equipment set up for B8ZS and some piece of equipment in the transport
>between you and their switch (or the switch itself) might be set for
>AMI...it only takes one piece of equipment being set wrong to cause
>these.
>
>The best way to test this is to run an all-0's pattern over a
>loopback'ed line.
>
>AMI and B8ZS are intended to maintain 1's density on a T1, so running
>all-0's over it will cause the coding mechanisms in AMI and B8ZS to be
>used very frequently.  If a piece of equipment in the transmission path
>is set to AMI when it should be B8ZS, you'll see line coding errors rack
>up quickly.
>
>This all assumes, of course, that you have some piece of equipment
>capable of running Bit Error Rate Testing (BERT).  The DSPs do have some
>limited capabilities in this area themselves, but they're not the
>easiest thing to work with.
>
>If you've got a cisco t1 card (with integrated csu/dsu), they can often
>do BERT...as can some stand-alone CSU/DSU's.  Of course, if you have
>access to a T-berd, then you've got it made in the shade.  :)
>
>I use a port on our PA-MC-8T1 to do BERT when I need it, FWIW.
>
>If this isn't your problem...well...I might be able to come up with
>other explanations, but not off the top of my head.  :)
>-- 
>Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
>Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
>IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456
>
>-
> To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
> with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
> For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
> "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
>

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:32:13 +0000

Hi All,

I've just found out that I have a HiPer chassis coming my way shortly
(bought because it was disgustingly cheap).

Does anyone have any sample configs for the DSP's and the ARC?  Similar to
the sample NETserver config Brian Feeney did...

I've had a brief look through my archives of the list, but didn't turn
anything up.

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:00:57 +0000

Check out message with subject "Re: (usr-tc) Transition from Netserver to
ARC" from 3/13/01

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lists" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:32 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Sample HiPER configs

-

---

From: Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:11:46 +0000

> Check out message with subject "Re: (usr-tc) Transition from Netserver
> to ARC" from 3/13/01

Thankyou muchly - that was exactly what I was after.

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:17:37 +0000

Do you still need 45A PS's?  We have "a few" - cost you shipping for one of
them.

Marshall Morgan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lists" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Sample HiPER configs

-

---

From: Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:24:53 +0000

> Do you still need 45A PS's?  We have "a few" - cost you shipping for
> one of them.

Yeah, I'm in need of two, but even one would be a start.  I've got an old
45A chassis kicking around, with enough cards to fill it, but no power
supplies.

What would shipping from the US to Australia be worth (for delivery in 1-2
weeks)?

Cheers,

Bob.

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:47:32 +0000

My NMC recently stopped responding to SNMP queries, etc and I'm unable to
access it via TCM. It has, however, not seemed to affect anything as far as
dial-up, routing, etc. Other than the fact that I can't run MRTG against it
or the badmodems.pl script, there's no indication that it's having problems.
  Has the card gone bad...need replaced, lost something in part of config?
How do I go about finding/fixing the problem?

NMC is hardware 6.0 running 6.1.17

Thanks,

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:54:39 +0000

Also sprach Kirk Mitchell
>  My NMC recently stopped responding to SNMP queries, etc and I'm
>unable to access it via TCM. It has, however, not seemed to affect
>anything as far as dial-up, routing, etc. Other than the fact that I
>can't run MRTG against it or the badmodems.pl script, there's no
>indication that it's having problems.

Not surprising.  The NMC does not have anything to do with the routine
actions of taking and handling calls...it is what it says it is...purely
a management card.  You can totally remove the NMC and not lose any of
the actual *production* functionality of the chassis.

>  Has the card gone bad...need replaced, lost something in part of
>config?  How do I go about finding/fixing the problem?

Proly just needs a reboot, or possibly a reconfig...I've had a few lose
some of the config (including IP addresses and stuff), and a reconfig
from console (takes me about 30 seconds these days) gets them fully back
up and running (sucks if its a remote city though).
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:04:51 +0000

I have this happen occassionally and simply pull the card out of
the chassis and re-insert it...  Comes right back to life!

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite Q
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:20:05 +0000

>up and running (sucks if its a remote city though).

  I've never actually console'd into the NMC, only the ARC. Any quick
command guides to checking/configuring the NMC via console?

Thanks,

-