Subject: (usr-tc) AMR slot modems

From: Kalev Nurklik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:13:46 +0000

Hi all!

We got a problem with new AMR slot modems when they connect
to version 2.0.60 HDSPs. Works fine with 2.0.19.
I have found that the cause is with handshake while modems
are negotiating v42 error correction eg. while both sides negotiate
v42 then no connection can be established.
>From the logs I can see HARC thinking that handshake went
well for the session but without any error or compression protocol
negotiated and the connection was dropped for user sending
something illegal:

(from radius log)
Modulation-Type = v90Digital
Simplified-MNP-Levels = none
Simplified-V42bis-Usage = none
Acct-Terminate-Cause = User-Request
Disconnect-Reason = user-input-error

So I guess that TC side figures that there where no compression/
error control agreed upon but client modem sees things differently
and connects with error and compression which is v42/v42bis.
v42/v42bis because if I forced MNPG on the client modem then
I got a connection, lousy one, but nevertheless handshake went
well and radius had MNPs in the log. Also when I turned v42
negotiation off on the DSP and forced v42 on on the client modem
then connection was established eg. there was no attempt for v42
handshake by HDSP. With this last configuration also the
overall connection worked fine. Have no time for digging into lousy
connect with MNP and I don't think that this is important anyway.

I'm not saying that there's something wrong with 2.0.60 code
when v42 handshake is concerned (Att.! there is MR 2374 in 2.0.60
release notes stating that v42 detection phase was improved)
because all other modem types seem to connect fine, maybe even
better, but when our clients can connect to other service providers
in our area while not to us with these AMR modems then it's a pain.
I know that these AMR slot modems are really bad but when
computer prices are dropping then pc manufacturers are bundling
these with their configuration and this will then be my problem.
Also considering the drop back to 2.0.19 isn't my favourite because
that code has that nasty "modems in pair hanging" problem
when with 2.0.60 I saw this more or less resolved.

BTW here's the data for the AMR modems that new pc owner here
will mostly be having:
Smartlink Modem Riser (MRS)
Probably manufactured by Archtek
different driver versions was used - 2.50x, 2.60 if I remember
correctly.

Hope that somebody can help me with this. Can I maybe configure
the modems on HDSPs while not messing up other connects or
something else. Maybe some of You has already solved this
issue...

Thanks in advance,
__________________________________
Kalev Nurklik
AS MicroLink Online
Pa"rnu mnt. 158, 11317 Tallinn, Estonia
Tel: +372 6501709
Fax: +372 6501708
E-mail: [email-masked]
http://microlink.online.ee

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.