Subject: (usr-tc) Does Windows98 listen on RIP?!?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 02:25:13 +0000

-> I noticed today that alot of the Windows98 machines show our total controls
-> hubs in their routing tables as a default route!  Its got a high metric of
-> 1000, and the "true" default route is set as 1, but I was curious about how
-> Windows98 even knew about our total control hubs.  They are on the same
-> network.  Anyone else notice this?  Anything negative about it?  How do you
-> stop 98 from listening to those routes?

If you find out let me know too.  We've got a customer which has two
RAS servers on their LAN (one is a 3com and the other Ascend) and
their routing tables show the same thing.  The odd part is after
awhile they won't be able toget through their default gateway
(the Ascend unit) unless either they delete the route with the 1000
metric or reboot their machine.  It's driving them crazy. Of course
they use the Ascend to dial into us and into the Internet.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:24:24 +0000

actually, we have an ascend box also, a Max, and I didn't start noticing
this until recently, and the max was just turned up.  I am wondering if
the max is whats putting those routes into windows thru some sort of
routing communication.........

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 05:24:18 +0000

> they use the Ascend to dial into us and into the Internet.

You cant fix 98.. It listens to ICMP router advertisments.. You can
however stop the HARC from adertising itself via the command
"DISABLE ICMP ROUTER_ADVERTISE"

+--------------------------------------+
Mike Wronski ([email-masked])
3Com Network Systems Engineer

-