Subject: (usr-tc) Quirky CHAP on 2.0.51

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 05:19:04 +0000

Have a few DSP's upgraded to 2.0.51. Just noticed a quirk in CHAP
authentication. After LCP is done, and PPP authentication begins, the auth
packets do not make it to the Radius server. I have made several test calls,
logging both radius info on my Vircom radius server, and PPP packets on the
TC. The radius server does not receive any incoming packet. The TC shows the
following:

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c0 23
                                 MAGIC_NUM      bc 93 87 df
                                 PROTO_COMP
                                 AC_COMP
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea
                                 MPP_ENDPTID    00

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2
                                 CALLBACK       06

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REJ           CALLBACK       06

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REJ           PROTO_COMP
                                 AC_COMP
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c0 23
                                 MAGIC_NUM      bc 93 87 df

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_NAK           AUTH_TYPE      c2 23 81

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c2 23 05
                                 MAGIC_NUM      bc 93 87 df

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c2 23 05
                                 MAGIC_NUM      bc 93 87 df

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    CHAP       CHALLENGE         10 a9 8a 81 83 ad dc b9
                                 06 13 f2 bc ad 63 d4 76
                                 28 48 69 50 65 72

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c0 23
                                 MAGIC_NUM      8b cf 11 8b
                                 PROTO_COMP
                                 AC_COMP
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea
                                 MPP_ENDPTID    00

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REJ           PROTO_COMP
                                 AC_COMP
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c0 23
                                 MAGIC_NUM      8b cf 11 8b

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    CHAP       CHALLENGE         10 50 b8 b1 f5 4d a4 9a
                                 d0 e1 c9 af ef 3e 1d 1c
                                 82 48 69 50 65 72

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MAGIC_NUM      0c 2c 41 f2

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_NAK           AUTH_TYPE      c2 23 05

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:4/mod:17
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00
                                 AUTH_TYPE      c2 23 05
                                 MAGIC_NUM      8b cf 11 8b

And the process continues until I cancel the connection attempt.

It *will* however sometimes authenticate just fine using CHAP. It always
authenticates using PAP. This test call is ISDN. I am about to try the same
series of tests using analog dialup.

Anyone else seen this???

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.