Subject: (usr-tc) MRTG cfg

From: stevec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:10:54 +0000

I was wondering what I can use as SNMPOID for my TC rack.  The main thing I want to look at is modem utilization.  I was sent a cfg file from a friend and the SNMPOID didn't work with my unit.  First off, how can I tell what all I am running.  Our telco provider set all our stuff up so I don't know what it is.  I can telnet to it and I get a "HIPER>>" prompt.  I used the cfgmaker with mrtg but it gave me a bunch of useless ports.  I would also like to monitor bandwidth utilization through this if possible.  Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help,

--
Steve Cobb
[email-masked]
Computer Geeks
www.computer-geeks.com
--

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:49:35 +0000

How do you reset the stats on the old style TCH?  I have tried every thing I
know to reset the stats.  I can't find anything in documentation to tell me
how to do this.  The stats that I am trying to reset are the ones you can
get through the performance monitor in the Total Control Management
software.  Specifically, I am trying to reset the Incoming Connections
Established, Incoming Connections Terminated, Connect Attempt Failure, and
the Incoming Connections Failed fields under the Modem Events in the
Functional Group.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan
NOC Technician
COX Internet

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:03:31 +0000

Thus spake The NOC COX Internet"
>How do you reset the stats on the old style TCH?  I have tried every
>thing I know to reset the stats.  I can't find anything in
>documentation to tell me how to do this.  The stats that I am trying to
>reset are the ones you can get through the performance monitor in the
>Total Control Management software.  Specifically, I am trying to reset
>the Incoming Connections Established, Incoming Connections Terminated,
>Connect Attempt Failure, and the Incoming Connections Failed fields
>under the Modem Events in the Functional Group.  Any suggestions would
>be greatly appreciated.

Reboot.  And even then, in theory, they shouldn't reset.

Basically, this is because of the spec of SNMP...SNMP counters can't be
reset while the system is running...to get a delta you have to note what
it is currently and check it later and subtract...not terribly difficult
in the overall scheme of things unless the utility that you're using
(ie, TCM) isn't open source (*cough*) and doesn't have support for it.

In theory, according to my understanding of the SNMP spec, even a reboot
shouldn't clear the stats, they should be persistant.  Not that much of
anyone pays attention to that in their SNMP agent implementations.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:08:33 +0000

Jeff,

Thanks for the info.  I know of one sure way to reset the stats is to
upgrade the cards in the box.  Do you know which card keeps these stats or
where they are located?  They have to be stored somewhere right?

Bryan
NOC Technician
COX Internet

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2000 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Reset stats

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:25:10 +0000

>where they are located?  They have to be stored somewhere right?

You know...I'm not sure off the top of my head which card actually holds
them...based on performance, I suspect the individual card holds them
for its entities.  You can take a shot at rebooting the NMC (which is
non-disruptive to calls) and see if that resets it...it might just do
it, but I don't think its going to.  I *think* you're going to have to
reset the actual modem cards for those stats (all modem related stats
that were mentioned).

I say "based on performance" because of the performance of an SNMP get
of those values.  If you want to see this, do an snmpwalk of something
that is held fully in the NMC (like an xxxxxIndex OID), then compare how
quickly those values return compared to values like the ones you
mentioned...the ones you mentioned will take significantly longer...my
hypothesis is because the NMC has to obtain the information from the
card via the management bus of the chassis...with the resultant latency
in the request.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:14:46 +0000

Check http://www.dcr.net/~mandrews/usrtoys -- there's some MRTG tips
there.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-