Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 3COM/USR non hiper questions/ Problems......

From: Steve Valiunas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 17:15:41 +0000

Addressing only Item 2:  The NMC might get hung if there are long broadcast
storms on you local network, requiring a physical reset.  The NMC should have NO
affect on user's connections or throughputs,  but a network problem that
affected the NMC may also be afffecting the users.  If you have a sniffer, or
netmon you might want to monitor when this happens to see if this is the case.

Steve

William M Sheeler Sr <[email-masked]> on 01/03/2000 08:42:13 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  William M Sheeler Sr <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (Steve Valiunas/MW/US/3Com)
Subject:  (usr-tc) 3COM/USR non hiper questions/ Problems......

Hi:

I've been going crazy trying to figure this out, so I am now asking for
some help.

I have 3COM/USR 2059 bundles (yep still running).

There are a couple of strange problems.

1.   Sometimes a modem card goes red lite on a modem, and a software
     reset won't work and I have to pull the card and reseat it.  When this
happens
     callers can not consistently connect.  They get messages saying that the
number
     is blocked, or not available, or even a busy signal.  They are configured
roundrobin
     as I was told to do 3 years ago.  Sometimes people get past, other times
not.  Bad
     thing is that this usually happens on the 1st rack and really causes
havoc, and I don't
     know what to do, how to stop it or just how to watch it so that if and
when it happens,
     something pages us to let us know.  Thing is, how do you check for an
error message
     on a phone line?

2.   Sometimes the NMC card goes red, and won't take a software reset either,
and needs
     a hard pull to reboot it.  This causes issues with slow or no logins
(hangs on password
     authentication using Lucent Radius), and or not being able to go to any
sites.

3.   We are also having problems with disconnects, and long retrains, etc.,
and what appears to      be noise on the lines, but we are on a fiber OC-3 ring
for our PRIs, so where is noise being
     generated?  People are getting low connect speeds, tons of retrains, and I
noticed a lot of
     Bipolar violations (400+ in less than 24hours), code violation error
events, errored seconds,      etc., across multiple PRIs using the TCM
performance monitor.

HELP....  This is driving me crazy.  Customers are getting too many
disconnects, slow connects, retrains, etc, and this did not happen
before.  It is almost like the telco (not BA but a CLEC) has problems with
the B8ZS line encoding, but there is no one with clues there that can
figure it out.

Also, how can I set cause codes in the PRIs so that the Telco switch knows
when there is a modem problem and can move around that modem?  Am I on the
right track or blowing smoke.

HELP

Frustrated in PA.

Bill

their configurations are as follows:

Card                     hrdware ver     sware ver      dram      flash
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------
Dual PRI card            4.0.0           3.0.2          4096      1024
Quad Digital Modems      3.0.0           5.10.9
Quad Analog/Digital Modems    3.0.0           5.10.9
Netserver card           7.0.0           3.7.24         20480     2048
NMC card                 3.0       5.4.1           4096      2048

Dual 45 watt PS, no service contract. Using Windows TCM 5.5.1

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.