Subject: RE: [USR-TC] Interesting Observation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:21:33 +0000

It won't be anyone except USR (or 3Com). X2 was USR...everyone else was
doing flex. I believe you are correct though...I noticed the same thing
during those times of transitioning to V.90.

Still keep my USR Sportster near by....couldn't afford a courier....   :)

Rick
Team Solunet

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel - Fox Computers [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] Interesting Observation

Something I thought may be of interest to some -

I had the opportunity tonight to play with an old Gateway computer with the
old "Telepath 56K with x2" modem in it.  I have the software upgrade for
V.90 support for it, and could switch back and forth.

On a good phone line, I get 53333 x2 connection.  Same modem, "upgraded" to
V.90 gets only 49.3.  On a poor line - x2 does 48000, V.90 does 45.3 at
best.  I tried this several times and the x2 is noticeably faster browsing
web pages and such.

The V.90 speeds are the same results I'm getting with most V.90 or V.92
modems on those 2 phone lines.  What's more - the x2 connects in 13 seconds
- same as I'm getting with V.92 Quick-Connect.

Is it just me, or does X2 seem to be better all around?  Any manufacturers
still making good x2-compatible modems?  

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Thanks,

Joel

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

---

From: RG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:17:02 +0000

x2 lacked DIL (digital impairment learning), and in most cases, the higher
reported connect rate is 'fake' - the actual throughput will be nowhere near
what the CONNECT report leads you to believe.  There might be some RARE
exceptions, but believe me, when you see the higher CONNECT ###### speed,
the 'noticeably faster' connection may be faster only because you think it
should be faster.
Try some compressed file transfers & check the throughput!

Also see: http://modemsite.com/56k/x2-5.asp

Aloha,
v.Richard

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:22 AM
> Subject: RE: [USR-TC] Interesting Observation
>
>