Subject: (usr-tc) Bad modems

From: Steve Cobb <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 22:41:13 +0000

How do I soft-busy a modem from within TCM??

Thanks,

Steve Cobb

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 15:09:22 +0000

>How do I soft-busy a modem from within TCM??

In TCM, highlight the top set of lights on the desired DSP, then select
configure-actions/commands. Select "Timeslot", then highlight the desired
modems. In the command window, choose "software" and "soft busy out", then
click "Execute".

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000        http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: "D. W. Piper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:04:58 +0000

Hi all,

I've tried searching the 3Com support site and etc. several times over
the last several days about this, but if the answer's there I'm managing
to miss it completely:

For some time we have been having entries such as the following
appearing in our radius log:

    "S12 didn't get online!  status=-1, connect_fail=79, link_fail=31"

...where the "connect_fail=" value varies but the "status=-1" and
"link_fail=31" values are always the same.

For example, between 04:00 and 13:00 today there were 69 such entries,
all from our USR equipment, with the value and count for
"connect_fail=XX" as follows:

connect_fail=3    -- 1 entry
connect_fail=13  -- 28 entries
connect_fail=21  -- 2 entries
connect_fail=36  -- 16 entries
connect_fail=79  -- 19 entries
connect_fail=80  -- 3 entries

I'd thought these were from the set of "Failure-to-Connect-Reason"
values in the Vendor Specific Attributes, but that doesn't seem to be it
since there are no Failure-to-Connect-Reason values for 79 and 80.

Can anyone help me decipher this, please?

TIA,

- David

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:19:13 +0000

---- Original Message -----
From: "D. W. Piper" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 4:01 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Deciphering entries in radius log

>     "S12 didn't get online!  status=-1, connect_fail=79, link_fail=31"
This means the modem did not get connected and the user was dropped.  I do
not remember what reason 79 means but there is a document on totalservice,
you have to search 3kb for connect-fail reason - this will give you a list
for all this values from 1 - 91.  and every new reason is added.  The link
fail 31 - means that the netserver disconnected to the call for the modem
did not connect.

V

-

---

From: "D. W. Piper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:13:30 +0000

Every so often we'll have a situation arise where users complain they
are getting busy signals or dead air, and find that one of the quad
modems is showing a red alarm when a call tries to connect to it.
Resetting the modem generally corrects the problem.

I'm trying to discover whether there are any trap settings that can be
used to detect this kind of problem so that we can use Alarm Server to
alert us to the problem, and resolve it before it has much impact on our
customers.  Does anyone know which trap settings, if any, would be
useful in this situation?

TIA,

David

-

---

From: "D. W. Piper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:54:20 +0000

I've searched through the 3Com documentation, online knowledgebase, etc.
for information or help on this without success.

The symptoms:

- customers complain about experiencing busy signals, and/or RNA, and/or
dead air;
- we discover that one of the quad modems on the relevant chassis is
showing a flashing red LED when a call comes in;
- resetting the modem using TCM generally resolves the problem.

The questions:

What causes this to occur?  Is there any way to test for this situation
(perhaps using Alarm Server, if there's any trap setting that would
detect this kind of problem) sooner, before we have irate customers
calling in to complain?

Thanks for any help,

David
(at wits' end - or is that witless?)

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:12:10 +0000

Howdy,

Are these on a HiPer or NetServer?  What SW version?  PRI or CT1?

I don't know about trap settings, but if you use snmpwalk to take a look
at the following MIBs, you should get the status:

#ds0-level items (PRI/T1 card only)
$oid_ds0_stat=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.ds0.ds0StatTable.d
s0StatEntry.ds0StatDs0";
$oid_ds0_statmodem=".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.usr.nas.ds0.ds0StatTa
ble.ds0StatEntry.ds0StatModem";

I'm sorry I don't have the numeric OID's, this box has all the USR MIBs
loaded up.  This is a snippet from a general TC health monitor we put
together.  When I get the symptoms you describe, the modem status shows
"modem busy out".  We are running CT1's and ARCs, and this problem did not
appear until an upgrade of the Hiper software to 4.2.32...

Just putting together a perl script that walks those snmp values once a
day and mails you the output should be enough to alert you to problems
before customers start to complain.

As to the root cause, I have no idea; we don't have a support contract so
I can't open a ticket.  Something in the HiPer code broke it though, as
this started as soon as we upgraded the Arc.

If anyone knows the OIDs to reset channels on the quads, that would be
great.  I'd love to have my script do this rather than having to fire up
TCM.  If anyone is curious about my monitoring script, let me know.  It's
very ugly as it was one of my first perl projects.  I need to basically
rewrite it to use the perl snmp module...

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-

---

From: "D. W. Piper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:33:39 +0000

From: "Charles Sprickman"
> What SW version?  PRI or CT1?

Hi Charles,

They're on NetServer, SW ver. 3.8.1, PRI

> If anyone is curious about my monitoring
> script, let me know.

Definitely curious, though it may easily transcend my meager knowledge
of perl.  :)

Thanks much for the reply and the information and suggestions.  :)

David

-