Subject: (usr-tc) The new HDM's

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:59:18 +0000

Do you have to buy one of the new HDM's to get the 96 channel capibility,
or can you simply swap out the NIC portion of the HDM?  In other words, is
their an upgrade path?

Anyone using the 96 channel HDM's or DS3 modules?

Brian

-----------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCNP+ATM, CCDP   [email-masked]
Network Administrator
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:01:45 +0000

Also sprach Brian
>Do you have to buy one of the new HDM's to get the 96 channel
>capibility, or can you simply swap out the NIC portion of the HDM?  In
>other words, is their an upgrade path?

You'll need to buy the new NAC.  The current DSP's only have 24 (30 for
E1 versions) modems on the card, so you can't handle 96 calls on the
current NACs.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:13:55 +0000

> E1 versions) modems on the card, so you can't handle 96 calls on the

Actually, the current NAC's have 6 DSP's, each emulates 4 modems.  I heard
that these same cards were able to actually do 8 modems per DSP about 2
years ago, and thought maybe they pushed it even further.  The plan worked
out nicely when 3Com envisioned it:

14 slots, 1 hdm per slot, 23/24 channels per slot, 1 pri/t1 per slot

but once they were able to double to 8 modems per DSP:

14 slots, 1 hdm per slot, 46/24 channels per slot, 1 DS3 for the chassis

that was the rationale behind using a utilization meter on the front of
the HDM NAC vs. a 1:1 LED per modem mapping, since this way they could
expand the NAC DSP-wise...........

The sad part is they probably have the software but won't release (the
software existed 2 years ago or so..........inside sources tell me) (that
is the software to double the modem emulation of the DSP's)

brian

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:32:24 +0000

Also sprach Brian
>> You'll need to buy the new NAC.  The current DSP's only have 24 (30
>> for E1 versions) modems on the card, so you can't handle 96 calls on
>> the current NACs.

>Actually, the current NAC's have 6 DSP's, each emulates 4 modems.  I
>heard that these same cards were able to actually do 8 modems per DSP
>about 2 years ago, and thought maybe they pushed it even further.  

OK...the original DSPs cards had a dsp chip for every two modems...the
newer DSP cards have a dsp chip for every four modems (same code base).
They (according to what I've heard) are basically the same type of dsp
chips...but the newer ones are a newer version...thus the capability of
handling more modems.  I was not under the impression that it was just a
software change (though that certainly is possible).

>expand the NAC DSP-wise...........

They also just plain didn't have enough room for 24 leds for modems
along with carrier, alarm, loopback, fail, and power leds.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:52:19 +0000

These are actually shipping now?

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties

www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:50:07 +0000

I don't know.  I got a spam fax from someone saying "Be the first to own
the new 96port HDM, blah blah".

Then the 3Com site talks about all this new gear.  I am confused.  I don't
even know what a Total Control 2000 is or whats the differnce, I need to
spend some time on their site getting back up to speed.

Brian

-