Subject: (usr-tc) hawho

From: Jeremy Gault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 22:28:15 +0000

Hi,

	Has anyone noticed that ever since Y2K, everyone shows up 
as being online for 0 minutes in hawho?  I'm not sure how many 
people here use hawho, but I am sure some do.  Does anyone 
know of a fix for this?  Right now when we list our users, it shows 
everyone as being connected for 0 minutes.  Any help would be 
appreciated.

		Jeremy

Jeremy Gault
Systems Administrator - WingNET Internet Services
http://www.wingnet.net

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Richard Stuplich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 22:56:05 +0000

As the author of hawho I can admit that I didn't even notice this until
you sent this mail.  I will work on this and post a fix to the list.

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 00:03:01 +0000

>you sent this mail.  I will work on this and post a fix to the list.

Since I've never heard of "hawho"(Hiper Arc Who?), I was going to ask for a
URL, but I guess I'll wait and try the one included in the fix notice  :)

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA   814-941-5000      http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Richard Stuplich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 00:12:50 +0000

Silly me...

When  tm_year wants "The number of years since 1900" it doesn't want "00"
for year 2000 it wants 100.  All fixed and will even work at y3k, y4k and
y5k now as well.

Thank you Jeremy for pointing this out.

Anyway, it is again available at http://www.dwave.net/arctools/

-

---

From: Richard Stuplich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 07:39:16 +0000

I'll go into the hawho and hacom a bit.  But let me start by saying that I
didn't know anyone else used them.  I think I wrote to the list once and got no
real feedback.

* hawho is a "pmwho" edit that makes a hyperarc return pmwho output like so:

$ hawho tc2
Port User            Host/Inet/Dest   Type    Dir Status         Start   Idle
---- --------------- ---------------- ------- --- ------------- ------ ------
Saa  rlanhhin        12.20.66.44      Netwrk  In  ESTABLISHED     4:08      0
Sab  g1p1r1          12.20.66.28      Netwrk  In  ESTABLISHED       39      0
Sac  godsim           12.20.66.87      Netwrk  In  ESTABLISHED    15:30      0
...

Note that the Port is not a number but 2 letters.  The 'S' is to act like a
portmaster 'sh ses" and the first letter after the S is the card and the 2nd
letter is the port on that card.  I had to find a way to get the port on the
hyperarc to fit into the portmaster's lengths so everything can get processed
the same by other scripts I already had for portmasters.

The time connected 'Start' column is correct now after the y2k fix.  The Idle
is always '0' because USR and now 3com don't think we need to be able to get
that information, or they just don't care.  (Perhaps this is too harsh, maybe
they added a way to get that information now, I never cared to look again in
any of the new firmware commands or SNMP mibs).

The real reason for these scripts is that there was no real good way of finding
this information and as I had MANY scripts for protmasters already finished I
wasn't gonna go and fix them to make everything work.  I thought it best to fix
the hyperarc output and then use my old tools.

Also I couldn't find a way to get how long each user had been connected because
the command in the hyperarc only shows when they logged in.  I do a commend to
get the time it thinks it is and then I subtract the users time they connected
to get the time they have been online.  Something I don't want to have to do by
hand when I need this information.

* hacom is a pmcom conversion.  It allows you a way to - oh, dump a user from a
unix command line.  Something I needed.

http://www.dwave.net/arctools

You can get my real feelings from the source code of hawho.  You will be able
to tell how much I liked the hyperarc from reading that.

And as always, without the work of the people who created pmwho and pmcom these
programs wouldn't be available.  They are the real programmers that made hawho
and hacom available.

-