Subject: [USR-TC] NMC RTC error

From: Iulian Vaideanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 20:11:29 +0000

Hi there to all TC gurus all over the world :)  I hope there is someone
who can enlighten me regarding the following problem:

Platform:  USR TC with HiperNMC Revision 6.2.17 (8M flash, 16M DRAM), 
HiperARC 4.2.11 and Dual E1/CAS 1.3.4

Problem:  when trying to use TCM to connect to the NMC, I get
'No response' just after the fase where it is 'Retrieving NMC version'.
Cause (determined by console and eye observation :):  the NMC reboots.
The same behaviour occurs when I manually snmpwalk it from a Linux
machine:  reboot at some OIDs (many of them, I haven't tried them all).

Further investigation:  just after the 'Transfering Opcode to RAM...' 
phase, the displayed information looks as follows:

Equipment List Detected:
*******************************************************************
* Platform: Hiper NMC * Flash Amount: 8M    * DRAM Amount: 16384K *
* Chassis: 16-slot    * NIC Type: Ethernet  * Clocked Chassis     *
* PSU 1: NOT INSTALLED                                            *
* PSU 2: INSTALLED    * 130 Amps            *    AC Type          *
* Packet Bus Clock Circuit: Installed       * Ambient temp: 75F   *
*******************************************************************

Power on Self Test in Progress.
...........................................................................................TIMEOUT

** NMC Diagnostics Version 1.1.0. **
Manufacturing Code = 1AAA13M01234
Hardware ID = 0
Detected NMC platform.
Test Name                                 Time   Status
----------------------------------------+------+--------
DRAM Test ------------------------------- (2) - PASSED
Fan Speed Test -------------------------- (2) - PASSED
Debug Port Test ------------------------- (2) - PASSED
Real Time Clock Test -------------------- (2) - ERROR

Manufacturing Info -> 1AAA13M0
           Mode/Env -> 1/0
         Fault Code -> 0-7-1-1
      Expected Data -> 20
      Received Data -> 2
 Address of Failure -> 71
       Text Message -> RTC Error. Oscillator not enabled.

A to D Test ----------------------------- (2) - PASSED
Ethernet NIC (Basic) Test --------------- (2) - PASSED
Always Pass Test ------------------------ (2) - PASSED

NMC Diagnostics Complete

If there is anybody who has encountered this behaviour before
and can give me a hint here, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you.

-- 

Iulian Vaideanu
Network Administrator
ASTRAL TELECOM / DNT, Sucursala Iasi
Tel: 0232-252938    Fax: 0232-252933

---

From: "Michelle M. Mogil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:23:42 +0000

Folks:

We're looking for quotes to possibly replace our 3Com equipment. The 
cost of maintenance is getting out of hand and our subscription pool 
has been slowly shrinking as Road Runner and whatnot take over the 
area. If I could get some idea of what alternate equipment you're 
using (I've seen Lucent/Livingstone, Cisco, Patton, etc.) and how 
happy you are with it, and perhaps some contacts who would like to 
quote us, I'd appreciate it. I'm currently looking at terminating 22 
T1s (506 ports) in the paid pool and 3 T1s (69 ports) in the free, 
limited-access pool. You can reply to me off-list so we don't raise 
any hackles. :-)

Thanks!

-- 

*********************************************************
Michelle M. Mogil, Info Tech Engineer
Systems and Operations, Cornell Information Technologies
735 Rhodes Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
vox: (607) 255-0516, fax: (607) 255-8521
email: [email-masked]
**********************************************

---

From: "Stephen Rivera - WRCA.Net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:36:37 +0000

I am having a similar [problem with a NMC card that I am testing right now. 
I am ZModem'g a code version to it to see if it fixes the problem. The odd 
thing is that it responds from Hiper Terminal but I cant get it to open up 
in TCM. My initial boot up reads the same with the test time outs. I'll let 
youknow if it works.

At 11:11 PM 9/9/2002 +0300, you wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>USR-TC mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

Steve Rivera  IM: srivera711
Toll Free: (877)WRCANET x102  DIRECT: 732-833-2034
Fax available equipment to: (732)833-2115
for more product info got www.wrca.net

---

From: Iulian Vaideanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 04:32:04 +0000

I already flashed it.  I mean, before 6.2.17 it had 5.6.<something>,
which I haven't read about in any compatibility list.  Since I 
have previously flashed the Dual E1/CAS to v1.3.4 (for BRI over E1 
support), I read it's compatibility list and decided to go for 6.2.17 for 
NMC.  Before that, the NMC showed the same behaviour.  It might be helpful 
to say that somewhere in the past the NMC and ARC NACs had been switched
by mistake (I mean NMC NAC in the front of the chassis had ARC NIC in 
the back and viceversa).  The TC hadn't been put to work for a long time, 
so I'm not sure that event determined the problem.  Could this be the 
cause of the RTC error?  And does it really measure it's temperature or 
is that a bogus error?

And one more thing:  has anyone managed to make ISDN calls to a Dual 
E1/CAS with firmware 1.3.4 or later?  I definitely have a problem
with the settings or the signaling here, since `Span Line 1 Status'
shows `Physical Status:  F7' (which I heaven't heared about in any
documentation), and the technical staff at the location (the TC is located 
elsewhere) tells me the `CD' led for Line 1 is red, while the `Alarm' one 
is green (??!!).  Thank you again for any suggestions.

-- 

Iulian Vaideanu
Network Administrator

---

From: Iulian Vaideanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 04:43:06 +0000

> cause of the RTC error?  And does it really measure it's temperature or 

Oops...  looks like I copy-pasted the wrong thing in my previous 
post (I mean, it wasn't wrong, it really happens, but that's
not everything :)  Besides the RTC error, I sometimes get
`ERROR' for the `A to D' test, saying that measured temperature
is out of range (87F compared to 75F+/-10, that seems to be considered
normal).  I can't reproduce this right now, but if the complete info is 
mandatory for a diagnostic, I'll keep trying :))

-- 

Iulian Vaideanu
Network Administrator

---

From: Iulian Vaideanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:59:38 +0000

Here it is:

A to D Test ----------------------------- (2) - ERROR   

Manufacturing Info -> 1AAA13M0
           Mode/Env -> 1/0
         Fault Code -> 0-15-1-1
      Expected Data -> 0
      Received Data -> 0
 Address of Failure -> 0
       Text Message -> Measured Temperature out of range
       Info Message -> Expected: 75 +/- 10F       Actual: 87F

And some OIDs that would always crash my NMC (I get 'No Response 
from...'):

enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmcAuxIn1Sts.0
enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmcAuxIn2Sts.0
enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmcAuxOut1Sts.0
enterprises.usr.nas.nmc.nmcStat.nmcAuxOut2Sts.0

And another observation:  the NMC doesn't reboot instantly.  It takes 
exactly one minute from the moment the SNMP stack dies till the NMC
stops responding to pings.

-- 

Iulian Vaideanu
Network Administrator

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:12:01 +0000

> > >Manufacturing Code = 1AAA13M01234

Just out of curiousity, anyone with the clock error try replacing the
battery on the card?

Charles

---

From: Iulian Vaideanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:19:02 +0000

I didn't even notice it has a battery on it :)  Is it on the NAC
or on the NIC?  And (more important) is it a widely used model
(such as for PC mainboards) or is it 3Com proprietary?

-- 

Iulian Vaideanu
Network Administrator

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:49:34 +0000

> (such as for PC mainboards) or is it 3Com proprietary?

I'm just guessing, don't have one in front of me...  It is a PC on a card,
so there should be a clock and battery on it.  Just a shot in the dark
before RMA'ing the card.

Charles

---

From: Iulian Vaideanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:42:10 +0000

The RTC error problem is solved.  On the NMC NAC, right by the battery,
there is a reset switch.  That did it:  no more errors at boot-time,
and TCM works smoothly.

The problem I'm facing now is the physical status of the E1 line that I'm 
trying to configure for analog/ISDN dial-up.  It's F7, with CD1 led red
and ALRM1 green.  The description for this is nowhere to be found,
so I was wondering whether any of you know what it means.  In the 
meantime, I'll search for some info on the HDSL modem that delivers
the E1 line (Intracom DS-HMOD).

-- 

Iulian Vaideanu
Network Administrator