Subject: [USR-TC] Dialup at 256k?

From: John Scrivner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:03:31 +0000

Is it true that dialup lines will support 256k speeds without ISDN or
DSL in the future? I have doubts about it. I guess I should not repeat
rumors when I do not have any way of proving what I say. I do not even
know of any technology that could do this in any way. I guess I should
think a little before I type an email message.

Rumors can be really bad things and probably should not be repeated. Has
anyone been telling you any rumors lately? Have you been telling rumors
that maybe were not substantiated? Maybe you should consider the Source
before you believe what you hear. Sometimes the Source could seem as
powerful as General Patton. Always consider that the Source could be
wrong.

My belief is that even Patton could have been brought down if there were
rumors being spread about him by a Source that had only their interests
in mind. We will all surely succeed just like Patton if we do not listen
to, or worse yet, repeat rumors that may have no grounds.
John Scrivner

---

From: Rob Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:11:10 +0000

IF (capital if) you believe a dialup line under V.90 with 4-to-1 V.42bis
compression is REALLY capable of 213K ... then a V.92 line with 6-to-1
compression can exceed 320k!!!

Baloney --- pure hype.

No one gets 4-to-1 compression today --- because most information that is
bandwidth intensive is ALREADY compressed (JPG, GIF, MP3, MPEG, ZIP).

MNP5 (2-to-1 compression) and V.42bis hark back to the days of old
mainframes, minicomputers and totally text transmissions.  When was the last
time you visited a web page that was pure text?  or downloaded a program
that was not in Zip format?   4 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago?

From: "John Scrivner" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 4:09 AM

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc