Subject: RE: (usr-tc) static IP address assignments

From: USRobotics TC Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 05:22:00 +0000

Thank you for the quick responses.

I guess I don't know as much about RADIUS as I should.

I know how to create a radius profile, but what I don't know, is how to
assign a specific profile to a specific user.

I'd like to specify the address in Framed-IP-Address rather than having to
assign a pool.

The Windows 2000 version of radius doesn't have a Framed-IP-Address
attribute, only USR-Framed-IP-Address-Pool.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Mcadams [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 7:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) static IP address assignments

Also sprach Jim Tarvid
>We use RADIUS to assign static IPs by user. Our usr-tcs assign whatever
>RADIUS gives them. If they are currently set to a pool of addresses, I
>am sure you can reconfigure to use RADIUS.

Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive.  You can use a pool of
addresses for general use on the NETServer or Arc (NETServer only let's
you define one pool, Arc will handle just about as many as you want),
and use 255.255.255.255 as your Framed-IP-Address in RADIUS and it'll
pull from the pool.  Or, you can set a real IP address for your
Framed-IP-Address in RADIUS and the NETServer and Arc will use that for
the IP address for that customer.

Ain't standards great?  ;)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:56:11 +0000

Also sprach USRobotics TC Mailing List

>assign a specific profile to a specific user.

RADIUS profiles sound like an implementation specific thing, so I don't
think I'm gonna be able to help much there.

>I'd like to specify the address in Framed-IP-Address rather than having to

Right...the question is, are you going to assign static IP addresses to
*all* of your customers, or is this just going to be for specific
people, and most everyone else gets dynamic IP addresses still.  The
typical way of handling that is to have a Framed-IP-Address with the
static IP address for the users that get the statics, and have it be
255.255.255.255 for the rest of the users, then define an IP pool on
each of your NAS systems for the dynamics to pull from.

>attribute, only USR-Framed-IP-Address-Pool.

That version of RADIUS (w2k?  gack! ;) may call it something different.
Maybe just IP-Address or something like that.  I'm totally Unix based
here, so don't have specific information on your version of RADIUS.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jim Tarvid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:56:47 +0000

> here, so don't have specific information on your version of RADIUS. -- 

Me too. We have had two cases where we had to patch RADIUS - one was to
suppress erroneous "ACCOUNTING-DELAY" records from a Portmaster and another
to do fix a proxy IP assignment. Fairly easy to do with Cistron RADIUS.

I am pretty sure you could compile and run Cistron on MS but this might be
time to get your feet wet with a *nix box. 

Jim Tarvid

-