Subject: [USR-TC] Using separate IP-pools for different Modem-groups

From: Patrick Ndegwa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:13:22 +0000

Hi there.

I have an interesting scenario for which I am not sure there is a solution. I have a 3Com chassis running Hiper ARC (ver 5.3.105) and a number of Hiper DSP cards (ver 3.5.13). The requirement essentially is to have users assigned an IP address based on the port they dial into on the NAS. I have setup 2 separate IP-pools on the Hiper ARC, and have setup 2 different modem-groups. Each of the modem-groups is associated with a separate dial-in number. Is there a way to link each modem group to its own IP-pool on the NAS? I have seen that the either of IP-pools can be prioritized, or set up for a round-robin usage but this is essentially not going to solve the problem.

I think a solution may also exist where radius assigns an IP address from separate IP pools based on the user who is connecting. Any insight into this?
 
Cheers,

Patrick Ndegwa,

---

From: Oliver Francke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:32:08 +0000

Hi Pat,

> I think a solution may also exist where radius assigns an IP address from separate IP pools based on the user who is connecting. Any insight into this?

Well, that could be done with the pools being in the state private, so
it looks like:

---- 8-< --------------------------------

testharc> list ip poOLS 

IP ADDRESS POOLS
Name                Address        Size InUse State   Route Unused Priority Status
mw2             217.184.217.161/28 14   0     PUBLIC  AGGREGATE    0 1        ACTIVE
aolip1            217.49.134.33/27 30   0     PRIVATE AGGREGATE    0 1        ACTIVE

---- 8-< --------------------------------

whereas the first pool is publicly avail for all shared services and the
second one dedicated to aol ONLY

the assignment happens within the RADIUS-response:

---- 8-< --------------------------------
[...]
        USR:USR-Framed-IP-Address-Pool-Name = "aolip1",
        USR:USR-Framed-IP-Address-Pool-Name = "aolip2",
        USR:USR-Framed-IP-Address-Pool-Name = "aolip3"

---- 8-< --------------------------------

So, make them all private and assign the pool via RADIUS. Done.

Hope this helps, Oliver.

-- 
Was hat bei uns die geringste PopulariTAET?

[email-masked]               fon. +49-5246-80-1389
                                           mob.  +49-171-5597734
I used to have a sig, but I've stopped smoking now.

---

From: Patrick Ndegwa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:40:03 +0000

Thanks. Let me try this out.

Cheers,

Patrick Ndegwa,
Technical Operations,
UUNET Kenya,

email:              [email-masked]
Direct Line:    + 254 2 69088614
Help Desk:    + 254 2 69088638
Fax:               + 254 2 69088001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Francke" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Using separate IP-pools for different Modem-groups

> > I have an interesting scenario for which I am not sure there is a
solution. I have a 3Com chassis running Hiper ARC (ver 5.3.105) and a number
of Hiper DSP cards (ver 3.5.13). The requirement essentially is to have
users assigned an IP address based on the port they dial into on the NAS. I
have setup 2 separate IP-pools on the Hiper ARC, and have setup 2 different
modem-groups. Each of the modem-groups is associated with a separate dial-in
number. Is there a way to link each modem group to its own IP-pool on the
NAS? I have seen that the either of IP-pools can be prioritized, or set up
for a round-robin usage but this is essentially not going to solve the
problem.
> >
> > I think a solution may also exist where radius assigns an IP address
from separate IP pools based on the user who is connecting. Any insight into
this?
> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>