Subject: (usr-tc) Netserver to ARC using Multilink

From: Carl Litt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:09:06 +0000

Is it possible to get a Netserver to connect to a HiPer ARC
with more than one channel (by using multilink)?

We're trying to move a customer over from dialing into another
Netserver (not ours) into an ARC running 4.1.59.  The login is set
in RADIUS, and does work for a single channel.  We have no
Port-Limits set, and the ARC has the default 2 Max-Chan.

We can get the first channel up, but the second channel connects
then drops.  Here is the "mon ppp" output:

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:23 
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MRU            05 ea 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      ff ff ff ff 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      4c 56 1b da 
                                 PROTO_COMP     
                                 AC_COMP        
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea 
                                 MPP_ENDPTID    00 

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:23 
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MPP_ENDPTID    04 6f f7 09 08 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      ff ff ff ff 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      23 ea 32 19 

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:23 
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MPP_ENDPTID    04 6f f7 09 08 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      ff ff ff ff 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      23 ea 32 19 
--- [The call is then dropped] ---

>From what I can see, there are no NAK's which should cause a
protocol termination.  In the RADIUS accounting logs, the session
has a Term-Cause of NAS-Error.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Carl

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:20:46 +0000

Thus spake Carl Litt

>has a Term-Cause of NAS-Error.

Well...you're apparently not catching all of the PPP negotiation...which
means we might be missing some useful data, but...

You'll notice that the incoming config request does *not* have the MPP_MRRU
attribute in it.  The MPP_MRRU attribute is the attribute/value that
indicates that Multi-Link can/will be used on that link.  If one side
doesn't negotiation the MPP_MRRU, then Multi-Link can't work on that
link.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Carl Litt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:15:11 +0000

Yes, I did clip out a bit of info... here's the complete output:

 Monitoring the next session to start up.
Decode tracing started, press ESCAPE to stop; press X for hex tracing.
....Tracing the current/next session; Escape to stop...

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:12 
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MRU            05 ea 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      9e 5a aa e5 
                                 PROTO_COMP     
                                 AC_COMP        
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea 
                                 MPP_ENDPTID    00 

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:12 
    LCP        CFG_REQ           MPP_ENDPTID    04 6f f7 09 08 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      eb c4 d4 f4 

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:12 
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MPP_ENDPTID    04 6f f7 09 08 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      eb c4 d4 f4 

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:10/mod:12 
    LCP        CFG_ACK           MRU            05 ea 
                                 ASYNC_MAP      00 00 00 00 
                                 MAGIC_NUM      9e 5a aa e5 
                                 PROTO_COMP     
                                 AC_COMP        
                                 MPP_MRRU       05 ea 
                                 MPP_ENDPTID    00 

I've also tried durning off PPP offloading for the hell of it, but
no difference.

Thanks,
Carl

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:23:15 +0000

Thus spake Carl Litt
>    LCP        CFG_REQ           MPP_ENDPTID    04 6f f7 09 08 

Here's the first incoming lcp config request....

Again...no MPP_MRRU in this, Multi-Link won't work without that
attribute being negotiated during the LCP phase.  If a system tries to
send a multi-link encapsulated packet without negotiating the MRRU, it
is considered an error.

So, the other side is not negotiating MP correctly.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 02:47:45 +0000

Need to know your dial out script on the NETServer - You can program the 
dial out number on the modem and foce it to dial immediately or you could 
have the number of session set to 2 (max ports)  - I am not sure but one 
of the above method does negotiate multilink and the other does not - 
guess it changes the mpedo.

krish

-