Subject: (usr-tc) Does Windows98 listen on RIP?!?

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 01:30:48 +0000

I noticed today that alot of the Windows98 machines show our total
controls hubs in their routing tables as a default route!  Its got a high
metric of 1000, and the "true" default route is set as 1, but I was
curious about how Windows98 even knew about our total control hubs.  They
are on the same network.  Anyone else notice this?  Anything negative
about it?  How do you stop 98 from listening to those routes?

Brian

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:33:55 +0000

Probably caching ICMP redirects, if I had to guess.

Win98 doesn't do RIP unless you specifically install the RIP stuff from
the CDROM -- and it's buried *deep* on that CD in one of the powertools or
unsupported directories... not standard stuff.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

-