Subject: Re: (usr-tc) v.42bis problems

From: David Bachta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:52:43 +0000

Hi Mike,

This is a hardware failure on that specific card.  There are 2 separate
processors for the data path (v42bis processing occurs in this portion of the
card).  Each one of these processors controls half of the modems on the card.
You likely have some sort of failure in the first processor... which is why you
only see the problem on the first 12 ports.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David

Mike Andrews <[email-masked]> on 01/12/2000 01:20:11 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (David Bachta/MW/US/3Com)
Subject:  Re: (usr-tc) v.42bis problems

Hm.  So far it seems to be isolated to version 0.49 cards.  3Com?  Any
insight here?

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Horace Demmink wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Mike Andrews wrote:
>
> > Interesting.
> >
> > Any idea what hardware revision the card was?  0.49 maybe?  I'm just
> > trying to see if there's any pattern to these at all...
> >
> >
>
> No idea, I didn't keep record on what revision the card was. It very well
> could be 0.49 (why are the hardware revisions 0.xx, are these beta release
> cards? :-) as the others I installed at the same time are.
>
> --
> Horace Demmink
> PathWay Computing
>
>
> -
>  To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
>  with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
>  For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
>

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 06:37:26 +0000

OK... interesting...  question though: What else runs on that CPU?  (I'm
assuming this is one of the PowerPC's, not one of the DSP's?)  In other
words, what else is going to be broken/flaky besides v.42bis?  Something
else important is bound to be running on there and causing other
hard-to-find problems...

What kind of hardware failure would show up in exactly the same way for
multiple customers?  You'd think it would be a little more random...

I hope this card is still under hardware warranty so I can get it
RMA'ed...  if I get someone the serial number is there a way to check? (We
don't have hardware support, so it'd have to be warranty repair.)

-

---

From: Vincent Frallicciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:33:38 +0000

Hi,

I am looking for a used Total Control Chasse with power supply no other
cards if you know some one who has one let me know.

Vince

[email-masked]
> "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
Vincent

-