Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Total Control Software Questions

From: Greg Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 18:29:21 +0000

If your users authenitcate to an NT SAM database then any misspelling of a
username can be logged into the event log.  That's how we set it up here.
Alas I am rather new to the job and haven't been over everything (if it
works, leave it alone)

-Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Swenson
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 12:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Software Questions

I also am from a Portmaster background, and was disappointed to find I
couldn't see who was online, how fast, how long, and how idle. I have a
pmwho conversion to a usrwho which is working well, but it won't tell
connect speed or idle time. I have to either telnet into the TC or use TCM
to see how fast. Not very efficient. I also was used to being able to see
a user connecting and be able to see if they were misspelling or putting
@netconx.net on the end of their username, but I can't see it with the
usrwho program. If I'm missing any ways of doing these things, I hope
someone would pass along the secrets. Good luck with your TC's, I like
mine so far except for the monitoring. There is lot's of good info in the
TCM that I didn't have before. I also like going beyond 48 modems in a
chassis.

Tom Swenson
NetConX - Internet Access - Web Design - Client Managed Web Database
Applications
[email-masked] 					         http://www.netconx.net
(515) 421-4170 - Voice	(515) 423-3351 - FAX

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

On 1/4/2000 at 11:06 PM [email-masked] wrote:

>I am inheriting an older Total Control system with a total of (I believe)
>46 or 48 modems. I come from a background of Portmaster products. So, I
am
>curious about software. Is there a Radius server for NT that works with
>this equipment? Also, is there something that is similar to PMVision?
That
>is, allows me to monitor the modems and who is on them and such from the
>PC? All from an NT environment? Is this stuff bundled with the hardware
or
>is it sold extra? Any apps out on the net for this? Any help?
>
>Thanks!
>
>dr
>
>
>-
> To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
> with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
> For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
> "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Tom Swenson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:32:53 +0000

I am currently authenticating to a Linux server with Cistron Radius. If I
could ever figure out a way to migrate my users/passwords to NT, I might
consider it. I am leary, however, because my two NT servers are not nearly
as reliable as my Linux is ( I don't mean to start any OS wars here). I am
using Platypus as a accounting program and I believe that there are Radius
version  which will authenticate to the SQL Server. This would be kind of
nice. 

Thanks for the reply.

Tom Swenson

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:43:20 +0000

I use the vircom.com radius server and it is very stable. My recomendation
is to not run the radius on a machine doing other tasks, actually I would
make the same statement about most mission critical tasks. I have found that
many NT applications have memory leaks that eventually take down the server.
The machines that are running known stable code are very reliable, but I do
have a machine running an application that is problematic in this area.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Swenson <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 11:28 AM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Total Control Software Questions

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:57:56 +0000

That's why many ISP's don't use MS for 'Mission Critical' tasks.  Why do
you think they invented server farms?  NT can't run more than a few days
(memory leaks.. your words) so you put up a whole bunch of servers and
hope they all don't crash at the same time.

As for one box, one task... well, no.  I run RADUIS, secondary DNS, a tech
support web server, and in house mail server off on 96Mb AMD 400 Red Hat
5.2 box. Has never slowed or rebooted.  We authenticate 3K plus calls a
day off it and the NAS has never trapped a radius failure (oh yeah....
it's an snmp management station UCD-SNMP also).

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 20:09:01 +0000

Great, another unix bigot... I never said I run only one task per server. I
indicated that I would verify that the application did not adversly affect
the system environment. Most of my machines run multiple applications, only
my test platform is stuck with a buggy app that is not deployed. As far as
staying up more than a couple that is more than likely a configuration
problem caused by someone who doesn't have a clue. Don't lump everything
into one pile when it isn't true and never was. That sort of like saying all
'nix's are great, when in fact many of them are basically flawed out of the
box. Superior technical expertise takes the flawed OS and makes a box of
gold out of it because they know what they are doing, then they frown on
others who can't. This is why there is and will continue to be a digital
divide.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Software Questions

> > > >If your users authenitcate to an NT SAM database then any misspelling
of
> > > a
> > > >connect speed or idle time. I have to either telnet into the TC or
use
> > > TCM

-

---

From: Kevin Benton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 21:14:09 +0000

Okay, okay.  I can see this can easily explode on us.  As one usr-tc 
participant to another, please take it to private email.  I'm not going to
take sides no matter how much I like my favorite OS.  Every OS has it's
pluses and minuses.  There are things that some are better at than
others.  Each administrator must make his or her own decisions about OS
choices and take responsiblity for those choices.  No matter how much we
may want to get into a discussion about which OS is "better," it's a
personal choice not an enforcable anything and most of all, certainly not
appropriate for this forum.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Mark Thornton wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:50:29 -0600
> From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]

E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Web:     http://users.sota-oh.com/~s1kevin/
Unsolicited advertisements processing fee: $50 subject to change without notice

-