Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 3com V90 Problems

From: Allen Marsalis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 00:33:12 +0000

At 04:22 PM 10/17/99 -0500, Brian wrote:

>I would imagine, actually hope, that 3com's tests labs, have done many
>tests against their own stuff and against competitors.  I would think they
>would not make a policy of releasing such data, unless of course 3com was
>best in every case, which I doubt it was, but certainly coudln't have done
>too poor.

Conversely, I would imagine that ascend's test labs have done
tests against their competitors..  And that they wouldn't release
such data unless they were best..  IOW, you would think that one
manufacturer (at least) would come out of the closet with data
proving that they were the best.  :)

I've always been disappointed that so few tests have been done
to rate 56k..  The only test I remember comparing x2 to kflex was
the boardwatch fiasco..  nothing totally unbiased and largely
scientific seems to be done on a regular basis..

What is keeping us from polling both chassis every hour and logging
the actual connect speeds into an SQL database?  If the scripts (telnet,
snmp, whatever) could be written, they could be passed around by ISP's
giving some pretty good 'real world' data to support or refute our
perceptions of modem performance.  Has anyone out there ever done
anything like this?

Allen

>Brian

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "Jason A. Nunnelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 00:51:43 +0000

well, that sounds good - and add that you need to test with a few different
switches and telcos. that makes an impact also.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Allen Marsalis
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 1999 3:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 3com V90 Problems

Allen

-

-