Subject: (usr-tc) Netserver 3.7.24 and RIP

From: Andy Dills <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 22:46:43 +0000

Hello, I'm trying to establish RIP routing between my USR TC with a
Netserver running 3.7.24 and my cisco 3640 (so I can redistribute it OSPF
and have the routes propogate throughout my network.)

However, it doesn't seem to be working. I have very limited documentation,
as I inherited the USR from an ISP we acquired.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to settings to check, and/or ways to
debug this?

Thanks,
Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-695-4060
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:09:27 +0000

Thus spake Andy Dills
>Netserver running 3.7.24 and my cisco 3640 (so I can redistribute it
>OSPF and have the routes propogate throughout my network.)

>However, it doesn't seem to be working. I have very limited
>documentation, as I inherited the USR from an ISP we acquired.

>Does anybody have any suggestions as to settings to check, and/or ways
>to debug this?

Well...I would highly suggest that you want to run RIPv2 rather than
plain ol' RIP...I believe that's the default, but check it with the
command "set ripv2 on".  Then make sure that the NETServer is set to
broadcast routes with either "set routing on" or "set routing
broadcast".  I seem to remember some issues with the NETServers
misunderstanding each other's routes, so you may be better off just
letting the NETServers blast out the routes with RIP and not listen for
routes from others (the set routing broadcast command), and let the
Cisco handle the intelligence of the routing.

There just aren't that many settings for routing on a NETServer, so
other than that, it should be a matter of configuring your 3640
correctly...something like:

router rip
version 2
network <network address of the ethernet port>

should do it.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Andy Dills <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:31:59 +0000

> Cisco handle the intelligence of the routing.

Hmmm....when I first saw this, I was excited, because I hadn't seen the
set ripv2 command before. But it still wasn't working. It took a reboot to
get rip v2 to kick in :>

So, excellent advice, thank you _very_ much. I wish the command set was
either better documented in the ComOS or on the totalservice.usr.com page,
but from the sounds of the list (I just joined today, and for some reason
got flooded with all of the list mail for the day) command documentation
is the least of the problems facing USR owners :>

Andy

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:35:37 +0000

Thus spake Andy Dills
>set ripv2 command before. But it still wasn't working. It took a reboot
>to get rip v2 to kick in :>

Cool...glad I still remember it.  :)

>either better documented in the ComOS or on the totalservice.usr.com
>page, but from the sounds of the list (I just joined today, and for
>some reason got flooded with all of the list mail for the day) command
>documentation is the least of the problems facing USR owners :>

Well, you should also be aware that the NETServers are basically
unsupported from 3Com at this point.  3Com lost access to the source
code for the NETServers when their licensing deal with Livingston/Lucent
expired in Dec. of 1998.  They no longer have source code so really
can't provide support for those cards anymore.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:39:57 +0000

> command

Not at all.  Jeff and Brian know all of the commands, stored in some
sort of database in their brains. With them on the list, none of us
need to read or remember anything.

*cackle*
*grin*
*ducking*

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 00:34:43 +0000

> Does anybody have any suggestions as to settings to check, and/or ways to

On the TC:

set net0 routing on			# broadcast and listen to RIP
set ripv2 on				# use RIPv2
set enh_routing on			# used enhanced routing

on the Cisco:

router rip
 version 2
 timers basic 30 30 2 60 300
 network x.x.x.x		# network your tc/cisco is on
 no auto-summary

or if you are redistributing into OSPF:

router ospf 10
 redistribute connected subnets
 redistribute static subnets
 redistribute rip subnets
 network 208.206.76.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
!
router rip
 version 2
 timers basic 30 30 2 60 300
 network 208.206.76.0
 no auto-summary

notes: I also usually set all my interfaces under my cisco rip config to
"passive-interface f3/0" etc..................

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-