Subject: (usr-tc) different IP pools

From: Kalev Nurklik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:37:52 +0000

Hi All!

I'm trying to assign addresses from different pools to users in
different groups on one HARC.
I would prefer Radius to make the decision which user gets what
address so I found USR VSA reply attribute -
Framed-IP-Addr-Pool-Name. Getting no help from manual I
assumed that this is for telling Harc what pool to use. Great!
Attribute works to the point where I can see that the user who's
connected to HARC had a right pool name assigned (can't
remember exactly how I established that fact, probably with "show
session user" command) but the actual IP address from pool will
not be assigned to that user.
While I'm at it (finding out how to make this work) I hope You'll not
be angry if I fire a couple of questions to the honorary list?
Has anybody done this? Care to share step by step configuration
with me?

Harc product reference tends to be quite superficial with ip pool
info other than setting them up. BTW, seems that this is not the
only issue about what that reference is superficial about. I have had
rough time getting useful info from there or for example at least
decent descriptions for cli commands - is there any point to offer
such half done document where feature/command descriptions are
missing? 3com - any comments? And I'm not using reference
material for old software - latest I could get from totalservice.
One other thing. It seem that I've "attached" some IP pools to
default user but I can't figure it out how I did it. I can see those
pools when I do the "show user default" but how to add them
or delete - beats me!
Found no help from Harc command reference...

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
__________________________________
Kalev Nurklik
AS MicroLink Online
Pa"rnu mnt. 158, 11317 Tallinn, Estonia
Tel: +372 6501709
Fax: +372 6501708
E-mail: [email-masked]
http://microlink.online.ee

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:04:09 +0000

|-----Original Message-----
|From: [email-masked]
|[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kalev Nurklik
|Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 12:31 PM
|To: [email-masked]
|Subject: (usr-tc) different IP pools
|
|
|Hi All!
|
|I'm trying to assign addresses from different pools to users in
|different groups on one HARC.
|I would prefer Radius to make the decision which user gets what
|address so I found USR VSA reply attribute -
|Framed-IP-Addr-Pool-Name. Getting no help from manual I
|assumed that this is for telling Harc what pool to use. Great!
|Attribute works to the point where I can see that the user who's
|connected to HARC had a right pool name assigned (can't
|remember exactly how I established that fact, probably with "show
|session user" command) but the actual IP address from pool will
|not be assigned to that user.
|While I'm at it (finding out how to make this work) I hope You'll not
|be angry if I fire a couple of questions to the honorary list?
|Has anybody done this? Care to share step by step configuration
|with me?
|
|Harc product reference tends to be quite superficial with ip pool
|info other than setting them up. BTW, seems that this is not the
|only issue about what that reference is superficial about. I have had
|rough time getting useful info from there or for example at least
|decent descriptions for cli commands - is there any point to offer
|such half done document where feature/command descriptions are
|missing? 3com - any comments? And I'm not using reference
|material for old software - latest I could get from totalservice.
|One other thing. It seem that I've "attached" some IP pools to
|default user but I can't figure it out how I did it. I can see those
|pools when I do the "show user default" but how to add them
|or delete - beats me!
|Found no help from Harc command reference...
|

The VSA attribute will work.. The matching pools on the HARC should be
configured as "PRIVATE".
To remove a pool from a user use the command "DELETE ADDRESS_POOL USER
default POOL_NAME <XXX>"

-M

-

---

From: Kalev Nurklik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:17:23 +0000

> To remove a pool from a user use the command "DELETE ADDRESS_POOL USER

Thanks. A quick question - do I have to define pool(s) for default
user to accomplish the functionality I described earlier?
If yes then all of them eg. public and private or only private ones?

Regards,

-

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:28:50 +0000

|-----Original Message-----
|From: [email-masked]
|[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kalev Nurklik
|Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 1:12 PM
|To: [email-masked]
|Subject: RE: (usr-tc) different IP pools
|
|
|> The VSA attribute will work.. The matching pools on the HARC should be
|> configured as "PRIVATE".
|> To remove a pool from a user use the command "DELETE ADDRESS_POOL USER
|> default POOL_NAME <XXX>"
|
|Thanks. A quick question - do I have to define pool(s) for default
|user to accomplish the functionality I described earlier?
|If yes then all of them eg. public and private or only private ones?
|

You should not define any pools for the default user.

Public pools are used when a user is configured for "ASSIGN" ip address or
RADIUS returns a 255.255.255.254 as the IP for that user.

Private pools are only used when explicitly assigned to a local user or the
pool name is given by RADIUS.

-M

-