Subject: (usr-tc) Config for Dual BRI Cisco to TC

From: "Verreault, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:46:01 +0000

I am trying to get a cisco 4000 with 2 BRI interfaces to connect to a Total
Control Chassis.
(I am not sure if you can MPP over both BRI's, if not I would settle for MPP
for each BRI and load balance over the 2 multilinked BRI's)
 
I am having some problems with the second BRI. I cannot get a stable
connection.
 
I am assigning the BRI interface a static IP and specifying the route with
radius.
 
Should the second interface have the same static IP address or a different
one.
 
I have tried several variations without success.
 
Does anyone have a sample config they can send me or point me in the right
direction.
 
Thanks
 
John Verreault
AEI Internet
 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
514/284-4452

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:56:11 +0000

Also sprach Verreault, John
> I am trying to get a cisco 4000 with 2 BRI interfaces to connect to a
>Total Control Chassis.  (I am not sure if you can MPP over both BRI's,
>if not I would settle for MPP for each BRI and load balance over the 2
>multilinked BRI's)
 
There should be no problem with multi-linking two BRI's together for a
256kbps connection.  There's no theoretical limit to the number of
channels you can link together...though there are definitely practical
limits.  :)

>I am assigning the BRI interface a static IP and specifying the route
>with radius.
 
OK...I don't have much Cisco dial mojo, but you seem to be going wrong
on the concepts here.  If you're running multi-link over 4 channels (2
channels per BRI, 2 BRIs), then you probably shouldn't be giving an IP
address to a specific BRI.  You should have some sort of "virtual"
interface or suchlike that the BRIs would be attached to in some way,
you would give the IP address to the "virtual" interface (maybe a dialer
interface?  like I said...I don't know Cisco dial well at all).  Then,
when you get both BRIs assigned/attached to this "virtual" interface
(whatever it may be called), then it *should* multi-link across the BRIs
with no problem.

There's nothing inherent about multi-link that makes it only function
within an individual line (BRI).  In fact, you can run multi-link across
multiple modems, across multiple T1's, even, theoretically, across
multiple L2TP or PPTP connections if you *really* wanted.

>Should the second interface have the same static IP address or a
>different one.
 
The second BRI, like the first, shouldn't have an IP address itself at
all most likely.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-