Subject: (usr-tc) Intermittent static on lines...

From: Christopher Arlis Hanes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:21:40 +0000

I'm having a problem with static coming and going on my PRIs.  The
effect then is that users are unable to temporarily dial in - the modems
aren't able to negotiate a connection.   I'm fairly certain the
interference is being produced on the utp cat 5 cable running about 25
feet on a ladder rack from the demarc point to my boxes.  I'm planning
on installing shielded cable immediately but was wondering if anyone has
run into similar problems and has some advice?  What is the best way to
measure the noise on the line? I noticed under Performance Monitor on
modems you can get s/n ratio info for each connection.  What are
acceptable levels?

Thanks,
Chris Hanes

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:58:43 +0000

How can you verify that there is static on the line?  Shielded cable is a
considerable expense... plus having to rerun the cable.

Check the span for errors.  CRC and BPV's are indications of signal
problems.

If you can do without the span for an hour or two have the telco loop you
DSP for about 30 minutes and run a bit pattern (1 of 8).

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-