Subject: (usr-tc) My Hipers don't love me no mo...

From: Stephen Amadei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 02:26:59 +0000

Hey, guys. 

The day before leaving for ISPCON, I noticed the NMC we where using with
some Quads wasn't X2 enabled... so in a panic, I was able (with someone's
help here) to erase the password on another NMC with an X2 key, and get
the system fixed up, before leaving...  From Florida, I noted the NMC
card was only 4.3.4 and wasn't recognizing the HiperDSP or
HiperARC... which made for some interesting TCView and MRTG charts... but
at least it was running.

Yesterday, I finally got around to putting it on my to-do list.  I would
flash it to 6.1.17 and thats' it... but instead the goddamn NMC card
keep timing out, and the flash failed.  I then noted it only had 4 Megs
DRAM, 2 Megs Flash... *grumble*  I switch the flash with an 8 Meg, and put
a 16 in DRAM slot 2, but the system ignores the 16 Megger... after
fighting with different combos of cards, memory, flash and that infernal
PCSDL program for hours, I am able to successfully get the card up on
6.0.9 without upsetting the dialled in customers.  Whew...

However, suddenly, all the customers get dropped off the DSP... and it's
not picking up anymore... so I swap about some PRIs.  The box looks normal
from the front, but TCView only sees the DSP as a yellow card... the TCM
doesn't acknowledge the DSP either, but I can click on the empty slot and
bring up programmed settings.

What should I try now?  I'd like to update the system to 6.1.17, but does
that require 8 Meg or Flash or DRAM... I have 8 Flash, but 4 DRAM right
now...  IIRC, 6.0.9 should like the HiperDSP's fine... right?

This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to transfer an X2
key?

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.net CTO
Atlantic City, NJ

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:12:09 +0000

Also sprach Stephen Amadei
>The day before leaving for ISPCON, 

Was good to meet you there.  :)

OK...gonna rearrange these slightly to answer the easy ones first.  :)

>This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to transfer an
>X2 key?

No.  The key is tied to the serial number of the card, so it can't get
transferred.

>now...  

You'll need at least 8 megs of RAM for the 6.1.17 code, I don't recall
if it requires 16 or not, but I do know that you need at least 8...BTW,
I'd suggest 6.1.81 as there are some security issues with SNMP in the
6.1.17 code.

>IIRC, 6.0.9 should like the HiperDSP's fine... right?

Nope.  Thus the difference between 6.0.x and 6.1.x.  The 6.0.x code was
made available so people could still use it on 4/2 NMC's if all they had
were non-HiPer cards.  If you have HiPer cards though, you have to have
at least 6.1.x.  Of course, if you have an HiPer NMC, it only runs the
6.2.x code.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jamie Orzechowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:44:44 +0000

I have having a strange problem where someone will call in and get a Long
busy signal or dead air ... I have tried DSP code

2.1.9
2.0.81
2.0.70

it happens each version of code ...

A DSP will have about 4 channels left on it and then overflow into the next
DSP and some callers get the Long busy or dead air ... any ideas??

I have swapped known working DSPs and still have the problem ..

I have had the Telco here today with all kinds of testing equipment and they
keep saying it's our end ...

BTW: I am also seeing this problem in some Quads ... instead od going
"orange" a call will go "red" always on the same channel ... I have swapped
good Quads into the same location and still have the problem ...

-