Subject: (usr-tc) some help needed

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 04:39:45 +0000

I am in a bit of a situation and need some advice/help on how to "fix it".
Basically bellsouth, in a very rural town, installed us 3 CT1 circuits.
We ordered these all provisioned the same.  They had to reprovision them
multiple times, because they couldn't get it right, and its really costed
me alot of time, and our customers alot of patience in that particular
pop.

So, finally Bell is saying the provisioned right.  I am not able to
complete call on it however, the calls arrive, but don't complete.  Smells
of a bad start type to me........I can plug the other 2 CT1's into that
same equipment and it works fine (3 hdm's all configured the same, 3 CT1's
all configured the same).

So basically, on Tuesday, I am having to go onsite with a bunch of
engineers, which I know is just going to be one big pissing contest.  I
have assembled a list of information off the chassis/dsp's, to help me
battle this, but I don't know if perhaps I am leaving out something
critical that can really be of help.

Some of the info I got is:

Trunk Settings 
	This shows all 3 CT1's configured identical

Timeslot Service Configuration
	This shows all 3 CT1's channels inService

Performance Monitor
	Physical States - All 3 psF1Operational
	Line Status - All 3 "1"
	No Idle Modem Available - All 3 "0"
	Transmit / Receive Carrier Levels
		The good channels all show about 1820 transmit and 1820
		receive.
	
		The third CT1 shows 0 for transmit and 0 for receive
	Incoming Connecions established vs. terminated
		Good spans show about 900 for these

		Third span shows very messed up numbers for these
	Signal to Noise Ratios
		Third span shows signal to noise at like 65536!!!

Whats the best data to throw at the telco?  

And as if this isn't enough.  The 3 CT1's are in a hunt, first available.
This town takes very few calls.  But I can watch literally 5-10 calls per
second come in on CT1 #3, yet 1 and 2 have idle channels!  The amount of
calls arriving on span3 HAVE to be a call simulator that the telco has
hooked up to the line to test it........something they are doing without
my permission, and something they are denying, I think they left it turned
on and forgot to turn it off.  At the end of the day, spans1 and 2 saw
like maybe 500 calls, and span3 has seen like 50,000 calls.  This is in an
area with about 300 customers........sigh.  I have no way of even dialing
into span3, its only got 1 DID into the hunt.  Which like I said is first
available.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Ed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:04:39 +0000

Is everyone else having individual modem problems on the latest DSP code? We
seem to have modems always causing problems and going out on us. We never
had modems do this in the past and never even considered a Bad Modem Script
to let us know modems were out or having problems. Now it is something we
HAVE to have or we can't sleep at nights... constantly getting calls from
customers letting us know there are fast busy signals, no tone, terrible
speeds, or just cannot connect.

What is going on? Anyone know? Is this a bug in the latest code? Or better
yet should 3com just scratch everything and give us all our money back?
(getting thoroughly disgusted) BTW, we have been dealing in 3com TC's for
almost 4 years so we are fairly aware if it is Telco, TC or a config
issue.... it's definitely the TC code or Hardware. Any work arounds or
solutions known?

Between the bad modems, the V90 issue and the support issues I don't see how
anyone is happy with 3com right now... it's giving us one hell of a
headache!

Ed

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:30:18 +0000

My experience is that modems will no pick up/hang in ANY code.  I just
went from 2.0.19 to 2.0.81 and a modem hung this weekend.  1125 calls
failed.

Looking at the release notes for 2.0.81 they did fix the software reset
issue (big plus) but you should expect to see a modem hang every now and
then.  Monitor the equipment (simple perl script) or have the NMC card
fire off a trap or syslog and look at that.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-