Subject: (usr-tc) Need Config Help, TC NetServer w/ Quads

From: Brad Gass <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:05:20 +0000

Hello.

OK, I'm stumped on something, and I'm hoping it's something really stupid 
and simple that I overlooked.  Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to find 
what it is that I overlooked.

I've got a used TC Chassis, loaded with v.34 Quad Modem Cards, a dual T1 
NIC, NetServer, and NMC.

When configuring the modem-DS0 assignments in the T1 NIC, I get this for 
status after doing an "N: 1-48 to 1-48":

T1 Span Line 1 DS0/Modem Status

  DS0 DS0          Modem        Slot/   DS0 DS0          Modem        SLOT/
      Status       Status       Chan        Status       Status       chan

  1   IDLE         UNAVAIL      2\1     13  IDLE         IDLE         5\1
  2   IDLE         UNAVAIL      2\2     14  IDLE         IDLE         5\2
  3   IDLE         UNAVAIL      2\3     15  IDLE         IDLE         5\3
  4   IDLE         UNAVAIL      2\4     16  IDLE         IDLE         5\4
  5   IDLE         IDLE         3\1     17  IDLE         UNAVAIL      6\1
  6   IDLE         IDLE         3\2     18  IDLE         UNAVAIL      6\2
  7   IDLE         IDLE         3\3     19  IDLE         UNAVAIL      6\3
  8   IDLE         IDLE         3\4     20  IDLE         UNAVAIL      6\4
  9   IDLE         IDLE         4\1     21  IDLE         IDLE         7\1
  10  IDLE         IDLE         4\2     22  IDLE         IDLE         7\2
  11  IDLE         IDLE         4\3     23  IDLE         IDLE         7\3
  12  IDLE         IDLE         4\4     24  IDLE         IDLE         7\4

I have a quad modem cards in slots 2 and 6, but no matter what, they show 
up unavailable.  I am guessing that configuration in the NetServer can 
affect this, but all modems are "on" as far as I can tell.

Also, how does one get ahold of updated firmware for the v.34 modems, NMC, 
NIC, and NetServer cards and also the Total Control Manager software from 
Commworks?  I'm guessing via "service contract" may be my only hope, which 
from what I read is potentially a mammoth joke.  Worth 
it?  Advice?  (NAC/NIC running 3.2.0, NetServer running 3.2.27, and NMC 
running 4.1.3)

I bought this beast used w/o software, and I'm guessing the TCM interface 
may be a little more user friendly, and maybe show me the error of my 
ways.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no stranger to CLI's, just that I don't 
particularly care for USR's CLI on the total control!

I'm hoping I'll be happy with this thing once I have it running, otherwise 
I have a very large and heavy door stop.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Brad

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:40:58 +0000

The simplest reason why the modems may be unavailable because the modems
may be setup in analog mode.  If you have TCM you can set up the modems to
either analog or digital mode.  You can also do this on the modem there is
a %d command and I think the command on the modem is
at%d1 to set the quad modems to digital signalling.

Life is a little easy to setup the modem if you have tcm.

-V

-

---

From: Curt Shambeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:58:22 +0000

It's been a long time since I played on a Netserver, but a couple things
come to mind.

First off, have you tried a different chassis?  It could be a problem with
the backplane on the thing.

Also, as I remember, you have to tell the netserver which slot the modems
start in, or they default to slot 1, which is the T1 card.

That's all that pops into my head... Hope it helps.

-----------------

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Curtis V. Shambeau  |  [email-masked] |  Sr Vice President |
|  CoreComm, LTD, formerly Voyager.net and ExecPC - Wisconsin Office    |
|    "Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others"      |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-