Subject: [Fwd: Re: (usr-tc) contacting 3com re: v.92 updates and support issues]

From: mark ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:05:20 +0000

Hi all,
Guess what ???

I got a call from 3com this morning ! Mr. Alex Lopez.
It sounds like he is truly concerned about our problem with the v92 code
on quad modems. He said "I will run it by the product managers and let
you know". He also mentioned that a upgrade might be possible if they
were unable to support the quads. The amazing thing is that I did not
include my phone number in my email ( They took the time and effort to
look it up ). I should know something within a day or two and will let
you know what happens

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) contacting 3com re: v.92 updates and support
issues
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:47:25 -0700
From: mark ross <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: ccis
To: [email-masked]
References: <[email-masked]>

Hi all,
I just sent mine in....

Sirs,
I am writing to let you know that we have been supporters of the
USR/3com TC 1000 RAS servers for many years and we have quite a few of
your products in our pop's.

We are not a large ISP (our dialup subscriber base is about 2,000) so we
don't really have any need to upgrade to the newest high density RAS
servers. The quad modem cards have performed very well in the past and
our customers have been very happy with them. 

Our concern is that we are not seeing any support for v.92 updates for
the quad modem cards (We would be happy to pay for this support). Please
reconsider your decision to support the newer protocols on the quad
modem card..

Thank You

Mark Ross
California City Internet Inc.

Jeff Mcadams wrote:
> Hey folks...

> Let me issue another plea...
> 
> If you haven't contacted these folks concerning your issues, please do.
> If you've already decided to leave 3Com, let them know why.  If you're
> thinking about leaving, let them know why.  If you're not happy, let
> them know why.
>

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: mark ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:19:28 +0000

Ok,
We now have a voice, we need to get together and show 3com that there
"really is a market for software on quad modem cards". My contact needs
to know how many of us want/need the v.92 code on quad modems cards. If
you wish I can gather this info and present it to 3com.

I need to know how many ports of quad modem cards you have ? 
I need to know by Friday.
I certify that any info I receive from you will only be used for the
purpose of showing 3com that we need support in v.92 code.

Below you will find the email that I receive from 3com.

Mark Ross

Mark,

I am working internally to try and resolve the V.92 and Quad card issue
that we
discussed yesterday.  So far I do not have any final answer to offer
you.
Preliminary, from a hardware/software  technical perspective it does not
look as
though the quads have the capability to support the V.92 software.

I am trying to find a solution that may require an upgrade to the newer
card
sets.  I do not yet have the details on the logistics and or costs
however It
might help my efforts if you could tell me how many chassis and or ports
your
user community has in place.  I know about your specific configuration
at CCIS
however the more ports that need this type of solution, the more likely
that we
can offer a  packaged solution to you and your respective user group.

Please let me know via email and I will continue my efforts.

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:50:38 +0000

Also sprach mark ross
>We now have a voice, 

Funny...I still haven't heard from anyone substantive, despite a direct
request for such contact.  :/

>we need to get together and show 3com that there
Well...I mentioned previously I believe.  I have 17 chassis worth of
quads, at 12 quads per chassis, makes 204 quad cards.

>>Preliminary, from a hardware/software  technical perspective it does
>>not look as though the quads have the capability to support the V.92
>>software.

I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of hooey.  Digital (and digital/analog)
quads have a direct digital connection to the TDM bus in the midplane,
which goes to the dual-ti/pri cards which function as a glorified switch
or DACs (depending on the setup).  There's nothing that should prevent
the hardware setup in the quads from supporting v.92.

-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Robert Jimenez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:14:33 +0000

We have 48 ports (12 quad cards)

Robert Jimenez
Singlepoint Resources, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of mark ross
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 11:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) OK we now have a voice, We need some info WAS RE: v.92
updates and support issues]

Ok,

Mark Ross

Mark,

-

-