Subject: (usr-tc) 1 ARC - 14 DSPS

From: Jamie Orzechowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:20:30 +0000

Should PPP Offloading be enabled with 14 DSPS being control by one chassis??

and 14 DSPS takes up more than one class C ... so would I have my first IP
pool (entre class c) sent on eth0 and then have the remaning IP's on eth1??
or can you have 2 ippools on the same interface?

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:36:42 +0000

Thus spake Jamie Orzechowski
>Should PPP Offloading be enabled with 14 DSPS being control by one chassis??

Probably.  :)

>or can you have 2 ippools on the same interface?

Bah...forget that classful addressing thinking...its only going to get
you into trouble.

Regardless though...ip pools aren't assigned to an interface, they're
just defined on the Arc.  If you're depending on the Arc to proxy arp
for the ip addresses in the pools, then you'll need to define another
network on the ethernet interface that includes the second ip pool.
Personally, I'd suggest going with RIPv2 though and just don't worry
about it.  You can define multiple networks on a single ethernet
interface, so there's no reason that you would have to use the second
ethernet interface for this.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:45:34 +0000

> Should PPP Offloading be enabled with 14 DSPS being control by one chassis??

We had issues with old versions of DSP code with ppp enabling with 2.x 
code it is all fixed - PPP should be enabled.  

> or can you have 2 ippools on the same interface?

Thats up to you on how well you want to do it and depends a lot on your 
network design.

krish

-

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:21:51 +0000

|Regardless though...ip pools aren't assigned to an interface, they're
|just defined on the Arc.  If you're depending on the Arc to proxy arp
|for the ip addresses in the pools, then you'll need to define another
|network on the ethernet interface that includes the second ip pool.

Whats that about? You dont need to define another network. Just tell the HARC to
proxy-arp for all of its pool addresses "ENABLE IP PROXY_ARP_ALL_DIALIN".

-M

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:30:34 +0000

Thus spake Mike Wronski

>Whats that about? You dont need to define another network. Just tell
>the HARC to proxy-arp for all of its pool addresses "ENABLE IP
>PROXY_ARP_ALL_DIALIN".

Hrmm...I guess that's my thing to learn for today.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:34:19 +0000

> or can you have 2 ippools on the same interface?

I've had 3 IP pools on one interface without having to do anything
special.  Just add the pool and set 'route aggregate' on each one.  The
ARC announces an aggregate route for the pool via OSPF (yes, I'm living
dangerously on 4.2.29 still) so everything just does the right thing.  
Before OSPF I was using static routes on a Cisco to get it there because I
didn't really feel like screwing with RIPv2 at that level.

For 14 DSP's, I figure three pools of a /24, a /26, and a /28 would cover
everything efficiently plus a little wiggle room left over.  That's for
PRI though, CT1 would need more I guess... haven't worked out that one
because we don't use CT1 anywhere.

Mike Andrews (MA12) -=-=-  VP & Sysadmin, Digital Crescent, Frankfort KY
[email-masked]  -=--=-  [email-masked]  -=--=-  http://www.bit0.com
"If you're not part of the solution.... you're part of the precipitate."

-