Subject: (usr-tc) techs on the list

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:34:29 +0000

Heya...

I need to back off of a previous post a bit...I have confirmed that
Mike Wronski, Krish, and the others are still on the list (apparently
through a list exploder at 3Com, not directly), so things aren't as bad
as I had feared were possible.  :)

Anyway...wanted to let the list know that the techs are still around and
hearing us (and willing to help if something comes up)...since the list
has been fairly quiet of any significant technical issues we just
haven't seen much of them.  :)  Which is rather a good thing in some
ways.

Of course, my issues with support contracts still stand (particularly
since they aren't issues with the techie folks :), and I'd *still* like
to hear something from 3Com about what, if anything, they're doing to
help resolve the support contract issue.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Dayton Internet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:44:33 +0000

> help resolve the support contract issue.  :)

I'm with you on this one Jeff. I have been waiting now for 14 months and
11 days for the issue to settle about "partial equipment" service
contract. I still have a couple of boards on the shelf in the box that I
dont want a service contract on until I put them into service!

--Rich Adams, President, Dayton Internet Services Inc., Dayton, Ohio--
  [email-masked]

-