Subject: (usr-tc) RESEND: Problems with relocating modems to a new telco

From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:58:57 +0000

We are relocating our modems to a new telco provider's colocation space.

We grabbed an old quad chassis for testing the new colo site before the
move.

The quads are running 6.1.6 code and the Dual PRI card is running the
3.1.5 code.

The telco vendor is running Nortel DMS-100 switches.

Most of our testing is working fine, but we are having problems with
some callers who can connect fine to our old POP and not at all to the
new POP.

I have this connection problem myself when I test the new pop from my
home using a USR 56K modem.  I can connect to the new pop at v.34, but
not at v.90.  When I remove error correction on the modem and use
Hyperterm, I do see a lot of line noise.

I also had the telco terminate one of the PRI's we are testing in their
Cisco NAS box, and I could connect fine into that box from my home at
v.90 or v.34.

This is really confusing me.

I was wondering if the 6.1.86 quad modem code might help, but I can't
access it from the total control site even though it has no new
features, just bug fixes.  (This annoys me since we paid 100K for the
four chassis we still own).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me.  Obviously, I don't
want to switch thousands of users to the new pop until I understand what
is happening.

If anyone from 3com is montioring the list anymore, maybe you will help
with a MIME attachment.....

TIA,

Jim

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Steve Monkhouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:47:36 +0000

Is the x2/v90 feature set enabled on your NMC ?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jim Johnson
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 11:56 PM
To: usr-tc
Subject: (usr-tc) RESEND: Problems with relocating modems to a new telco

TIA,

Jim

-

-

---

From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 00:11:35 +0000

Yes we have x2/v.90 on the NMC.  

Jim

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:39:28 +0000

Hello, 

For years we've been using a Dual T1 Card and some quad modems with CT1
lines.  I always assumed we could also use these with PRI, but now that
we've got some PRI's to try it with, I can't get it to work...  Is there a
magic setting to change in TCM somewhere I'm not aware of?  The modem's
line interface source should clearly be priT1dm, but I feel like I'm
missing a setting on the T1 card to match....

Who wants to tell me how foolish I'm being?  Thanks!

David Ernst
HoosierNet, Inc.

-

---

From: Chad Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:47:02 +0000

Heh. I can tell you right now what the problem is.

There are 2 different firmware images for the dual PRI/CT1 NAC. 1 for
PRI, 1 for CT1.

Are you making sure to load the PRI firmware to the card?

Chad

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:13:27 +0000

>Are you making sure to load the PRI firmware to the card?

Uh, I'm making sure to do it right now!  :)  

Thanks...  I'm sure that was stated somewhere very clearly in the
documentation somewhere, but I have no doubt that your answer was much
faster than me pouring through it.  Time savings, what a wonderful
holiday gift!   

David

-

---

From: Chad Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:52:47 +0000

> Uh, I'm making sure to do it right now!  :)

hehehe. Good. PRI's have quite a bit more configuration stuff that you
have to do - than CT1's. For instance, switch type, alaw/ulaw, ANI/DNIS
(many telcos do not configure ANI/DNIS for CT1's - altho from what i
understand, they CAN.  GTE CyberDS1 CT1's get delivered with DNIS turned
on, but 0 digits sent. :/ ), and a few other things I'm not aware of, as I
don't use PRI's.

> faster than me pouring through it.  Time savings, what a wonderful

Hahaha.  Yeah. It is in the docs. No big deal though.  If you've never
dealt with PRI's before, its an easy stumble.

Happy holidays! ;)

Chad

-

---

From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:47:21 +0000

FYI to the list.  I was able to flash the firmware code from 6.1.6 to
6.1.86 and surprisingly, to me anyway, it DID resolve the connection
issue described below.  

Best Regards to the list and have a good new year!

Jim

-