Subject: (usr-tc) MacOS 7.1 and ConfigPPP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:54:44 +0000

We're running into an odd problem switching customers from dialing into PM3's 
into TC1000's.  All of our MacOS 7.1 customers using ConfigPPP are unable to 
connect.  They all consistantly fail with 'PPP-LCP-Failed' as the reason.  
Mucking about with the LCP options in ConfigPPP only serves to fustrate us 
and the customers.  Anyone else run across this?

Joshua Coombs
GWI Networking

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:44:26 +0000

Yes, it doesn't work. ConfigPPP is very old and needs to be 
upgraded to FreePPP. Try http://www.rockstar.com/ppp.shtml for 
more information.

On another note, it's funny that ISPs have decided to drop support for 
Win 3.1 but will try to continue to support Mac OS 7.1. 

On 30 May 2001, at 16:42, [email-masked] wrote:

> We're running into an odd problem switching customers from dialing into
> PM3's into TC1000's.  All of our MacOS 7.1 customers using ConfigPPP are
> unable to connect.  They all consistantly fail with 'PPP-LCP-Failed' as
> the reason.  Mucking about with the LCP options in ConfigPPP only serves
> to fustrate us and the customers.  Anyone else run across this?
> 
> Joshua Coombs
> GWI Networking
> 
> -
>  with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message. For information
>  on digests or retrieving files and old messages send "help" to the same
>  address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
> 

Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:00:26 +0000

Any idea as to what the actuall incompatibility is?  We've got a decent
sized pool of customers running this setup, and to have to go back to my
support department and tell them to learn a new dialer and switch anyone
over using ConfigPPP is going to make for a VERY unhappy support dept.

As far as Win3.1, guess we're slow on the uptake, but we still activly
support it. : )

Joshua Coombs
GWI Networking

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:27:00 +0000

> over using ConfigPPP is going to make for a VERY unhappy support dept.

If I remember correctly (and it's been a while since we had to do this),
FreePPP looks and works the same to the user as ConfigPPP, so the hardest
task ahead of you is getting folks to install the new software and
reconfigure...  Once that's done it should be business as usual.

The chicken and egg situation ("please dial in so you can download the new
software", "but I CAN'T dial in") is the worst part.  Hopefully you've got
a small hunt for those folks on older software/hardware...

Thanks,

Charles

-