Subject: (usr-tc) Getting disconnect reasons from Hiper DSPs

From: Brian Buffington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 02:30:03 +0000

I've been trying for the past several hours to get the modem
disconnect reasons logged from the Hiper DSPs.

I've configured the trap destination through TCM, enabled logging
groups 2345 on the NMC and set the logging server to a radius server
(Cistron/FreeRadius 1.6.0 on Linux) running on port 1813 on a spare
machine.

Then I configured the DSPs to log groups 1-4 and enabled the traps for
incoming termination.  Then I save the template to NVRAM and refresh
it.

Everything works great up to that point, I can see the modem
disconnection reasons in the radius detail log.

The problem is that as soon as I refresh the template, no incoming
calls can be established on the DSP.  "monitor ppp" shows absolutely
nothing and a packet dump shows that no radius packets are being
exchanged with the authentication server.  So I get to watch as
clients already on the server disconnect, but no new connections will
be successful.

As soon as I "restore modem from default" in TCM, calls can be
authenticated again but the disconnection reasons logging ceases to
work.  It seems I can get the reasons logged or get people
authenticated, but not both simultaneously.

I've probably overlooked something in the configuration that is
causing this problem, but I can't find anything in the documentation
library (including the documentation CD) or in the KB.  Has anyone
else gotten modem disconnection reasons logged?

Here's the relevant info on this particular chassis:
The DSPs are hardware version 0.53.0 running DSP code 2.0.51
The ARC is hardware version 19.0.0 running 4.2.32
The NMC is hardware version 2.0 running 6.2.17

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance,
--
Brian Buffington
BridgerNET Systems Administrator
[email-masked]
(435)753-2030

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian Buffington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 02:03:25 +0000

Hmm, it appears to have spontaneously started working overnight.  I
think I'll avoid touching it from now on. =P  At least it's logging
and people can log on.

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 02:39:25 +0000

I have noticed that our DSPs log callers in much quicker than our
quad modems do....  HOWEVER, after flashing a DSP to the new 2.0.51 code,
I have noticed that it is slower to login the user???   Any ideas here?  I
thought there was a setting that could be used to speed that up, but not
sure...  I did not change anything on the DSP I upgraded to 2.0.51, at
least not that I know of!

  Any ideas?

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite R3
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-