Subject: (usr-tc) YYYeeeoooowwwww!!!

From: John Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 22:27:51 +0000

I just re-subscribed to this list to see what kind of problems / chatter I 
would see.

We are looking at adding 192 NEW ports and were considering USR as a 
provider. (Vendors please do not respond I have one in mind)

You people whine about your TC's JUST AS MUCH as we whine about our 
PM3's.  Looks like modem compatibility is just as bad as the PM3's

Lucent's tech support is Free but sometimes difficult to get a human voice.
TC's are $2k cheaper with the service contract than PM3's
PM's OSPF works??? (At this point I don't need it)
TC's chasis are upgradeable, with different cards

Anyone have any other comparisons?
Thanks
JOhn :}

-----  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the 
Lord, not for men  >Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

John C. Lange, Sr.                PALACE dot NET, INC.
[email-masked]           MICRO-TECH Computers, Inc.
608.742.1601 & 6980             1819 New Pinery Road
http://www.palacenet.net/       Portage, WI 53901
MSCE Training for only $150.00 - http://dpec.palacenet.net/
All 200+ Web Based Courses for $150.00 Per Year - "Really"

       ---    __o
      ---   _-\<,_        Fastest Service in Town
       --- (_)/ (_)

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Dan Hollis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 22:34:47 +0000

> Anyone have any other comparisons?

TC modem throughput is about 25%-30% faster than the PM3.

Theres something to be said about using PowerPC CPUs on every card.

-Dan

-

---

From: Martin Lathoud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 22:54:25 +0000

> PM3's.  Looks like modem compatibility is just as bad as the PM3's
PM3 is crap compared to Quads. I don't have any DSP (and since code seems
less stable..).

> Lucent's tech support is Free but sometimes difficult to get a human voice.
Just the 800 number then the ticket number gets you right to the very same
tech you talked to a couple of minutes ago..

> TC's are $2k cheaper with the service contract than PM3's
Not in Canada, as far as I know.

> PM's OSPF works??? (At this point I don't need it)
Yes, and a big bit better than TC rip on Netserver.

> TC's chasis are upgradeable, with different cards
What about power requirements? Hiper Chassis is filled with fans and
require incredible amps, whereas PM3 is less noisy than a PC.

> Anyone have any other comparisons?
To sum up: PM3 with Quad modem code would *rock*.

Martin

-

---

From: "The NOC (COX Internet)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:44:00 +0000

John,

Quick note:  We haven't had any real bad problems with our Ascend equipment
or their support but we have always had problems with our 3Com equipment.
During this year we will be converting 1200+ 3Com ports to Ascend.

Bryan
NOC Technician
COX Internet

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Lange" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 2:25 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) YYYeeeoooowwwww!!!

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 17:37:11 +0000

While we continue to be intruged by the lure of the greener grass on the
other platform, I just took a call from a convert from our prime competitor.
The client is a small business just starting to utilize the Internet but
their previous connection was "holding them back". I asked what that meant
and they indicated the real speed of the connection is very different, in
favor of us. I am aware there are other factors that may play into this, but
the competitor has all the money, all the bandwidth, all the PRI lines (we
use CT1's, primarily) and yet this is a recurring comment from converts. It
almost makes me want to hold a revival or something, you know, put up a tent
and hand out cd's;) At any rate the other difference between us and them is
we use 3Com and they use Lucent and Ascend.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: The NOC (COX Internet) <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) YYYeeeoooowwwww!!!

-

---

From: Ronald Kushner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 22:16:08 +0000

> we use 3Com and they use Lucent and Ascend.

In the past the Ascend products have been way underpowered. All my
competitors that have Ascend gear have CPP turned off, even the guys with
TNTs. I remember when the 4004 was their 96 port chassis, you couldn't use
over 72 ports or everybody would find their connectivity grind to a crawl. 

One ISP had about 22 4004 boxes swapped out for the 6000 series chassis for
free - just the bare chassis was swapped he had to retain all his modem
cards. He said it's helped somewhat with performance, but it's not where he
thinks it should be. he said he really had to fight to get the those boxes
swapped in the first place. I guess the lawyers sent nastygrams  back and
forth for a over a year before Ascend agreed to the swap.

-Ron
GLISnet, Inc.
+1 810/939.9885

-