Subject: (usr-tc) NTP time sync

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 03:56:03 +0000

I am trying to use an NTP server to sync my time on my Hiperarc.

I issue the command

set ntp primary_server x.x.x.x

It accepts the command without error, but it doesn't sync the time. It stays
the same as it was before I issued the command, and it doesn't match the
time reported by the NTP server.

Anything else I need to do to get this to work?

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:42:21 +0000

You need to add:

enable ntp

and it should sync up.

On 14 Jun 00, at 21:50, Scot Desort wrote:

> It accepts the command without error, but it doesn't sync the time. It
> stays the same as it was before I issued the command, and it doesn't
> match the time reported by the NTP server.
> 
>  with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message. For information
>  on digests or retrieving files and old messages send "help" to the
>  same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
> 

Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:53:44 +0000

OK, so now how do you account for the fact the the ARC translates the
Easdtern time zone NTP server I'm using into GMT?

--
Scot

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Wayne Barber
> Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 8:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: (usr-tc) NTP time sync
>
>
> You need to add:
>
> enable ntp
>
> and it should sync up.
>

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:58:15 +0000

Also sprach Scot Desort
>Easdtern time zone NTP server I'm using into GMT?

You should be fine, NTP *always* uses GMT to pass around dates.  The
timezone on systems is (should) only be an issue of how it displays the
value to you.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Ken Nye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:25:31 +0000

I'm confused.... I downloaded  AboutTime and installed it on my win98 
machine. Then I point the hiper Arc to that machine as the primary NTP. I 
then enable NTP and wait..nothing happens..So then I look at where the 
AboutTime program is getting its'  time(192.43.244.18)..and add the 
secondary NTP to my hiper Arc ..and wait..and then my time changes to GMT, 
so I guess that AboutTime is not acting like a server...although I have all 
the server boxes checked. If I leave the hiper Arc to have GMT and my 
radius Server has PST..wont that throw all my users off by 8 hours?
                                                 Ken

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:05:34 +0000

I am running About Time fine here.  It will do standard SNTP just fine.  
I am not sure About Time does standard NTP server though but it will 
take time from a standard NTP server through its client mode.   Make 
sure under the Servers tab you enable the servers.  As for it being off 
8 hours, No. NTP uses GMT to pass time around.  A local offset is used 
by whatever OS or machine software you use to display things in local 
time.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

<That was almost on topic <vbg>>...

u>I'm confused.... I downloaded  AboutTime and installed it on my win98 
u>machine. Then I point the hiper Arc to that machine as the primary
u>NTP. I  then enable NTP and wait..nothing happens..So then I look at
u>where the  AboutTime program is getting its'  time(192.43.244.18)..and
u>add the  secondary NTP to my hiper Arc ..and wait..and then my time
u>changes to GMT,  so I guess that AboutTime is not acting like a
u>server...although I have all  the server boxes checked. If I leave the
u>hiper Arc to have GMT and my  radius Server has PST..wont that throw
u>all my users off by 8 hours?
u>Ken

u>At 05:55 AM 6/15/00, you wrote:
u>>Also sprach Scot Desort
u>> >OK, so now how do you account for the fact the the ARC translates
u>> >the Easdtern time zone NTP server I'm using into GMT?
u>>
u>>You should be fine, NTP *always* uses GMT to pass around dates.  The
u>>timezone on systems is (should) only be an issue of how it displays
u>the >value to you.
u>>--
u>>Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
u>>Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
u>>IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456
u>>
u>>-
u>>  To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
u>>  with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
u>>  For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages
u>>  send "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your
u>>  message.

u>-
u> To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
u> with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
u> For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
u> "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

u>                                                  

CMPQwk 1.42 9999

-