Subject: (usr-tc) Strange syslog entries

From: Randy McMillan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:08:04 +0000

Is there anyone who can tell me what these entries in my syslog mean and/or
how to prevent the hyper arc from sending them.  Am running 4.1.59-6.
Usually there aren't all that many, but today it seemed to be going wild and
started affecting the mail server.  I don't think I have any "Taps" going.

Jan 19 11:56:14 tc2 --syslog capture:  a71a010a slot:11/mod:2 --syslog
capture:stop
Jan 19 11:56:22 tc2 last message repeated 345 times
Jan 19 11:56:22 tc2 --syslog capture:  ed1d0103 slot:4/mod:2 --syslog
capture:stop
Jan 19 11:56:22 tc2 --syslog capture:  a71a010a slot:11/mod:2 --syslog
capture:stop
Jan 19 11:56:53 tc2 last message repeated 1282 times
Jan 19 11:57:53 tc2 last message repeated 2676 times
Jan 19 11:58:40 tc2 last message repeated 1539 times
Jan 19 11:59:43 tc2 --syslog capture:  a71a010a slot:11/mod:2 --syslog
capture:stop
Jan 19 12:00:45 tc2 --syslog capture:  a71a010a slot:11/mod:2 --syslog
capture:stop

Thanks for any information.

Randy McMillan
PacInfo

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 02:57:54 +0000

Packet filters.  "set packet_logging logging all packet_size 80" will show
you more of the packet that it's dropping, but it'sa raw packet, and you'd
have to decode the headers to figuree out what the source/destination IP
addresses are.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-

---

From: Randy McMillan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:42:52 +0000

Thanks.  If packet logging was set to none and size 0, why would it be
logging anything at all? (I am curious and not asking that so I can make it
ignore this)

Randy McMillan
PacInfo

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Strange syslog entries

-