Subject: (usr-tc) MRTG questions

From: System Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 00:32:22 +0000

Hi all,

	I've got MRTG monitoring calls per HiperARC, but I've got one chassis
running two dialups in two different cities (don't ask how).  Is there a way
to break out the stats into a per DSP basis?

__________________________________
Justin Ellison
System Administrator
InternetUSA
[email-masked]
http://nebi.com
800-603-3502

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 03:57:33 +0000

Also sprach System Administrator
>	I've got MRTG monitoring calls per HiperARC, but I've got one
>chassis running two dialups in two different cities (don't ask how).
>Is there a way to break out the stats into a per DSP basis?

Not easily (yet).
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 04:07:51 +0000

Also sprach Jeff Mcadams

>Not easily (yet).

Ugh...now having said that, I promptly go off and find a (fairly) easy
way to do it.  :/

Check out the usrSlotUtilizationTable in the usrCip MIB in the
hiperarc.mib file.  For some reason that part of that MIB isn't getting
loaded correctly on one of my systems, so I didn't think it existed in
the systems I was checking...turns out I just must have something
screwed up in my MIBs on that system...those OIDs come up just fine
(4.2.32 is my Arc code, just for reference)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 04:07:58 +0000

use the script function of MRTG to pull the numbers via SNMP from the NMC
(or ARC)

3Com uses a fairly easy to understand numbering system... just add the
slot to the port and you get the SNMP index.

1001 is slot 10 port 1.  Use it in your snmpget/walk to index the
tables and pull off the values you need.  

Might be a bit slower than going straight to the card.. but it would work.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 04:21:16 +0000

Also sprach Paul Farber
>use the script function of MRTG to pull the numbers via SNMP from the
>NMC (or ARC)

>Might be a bit slower than going straight to the card.. but it would

While I'm not extremely familiar with MRTG's capabilities...if you're
dealing with (say, for example) 4 DSP's in a chassis, and 2 of the DSPs
are one hunt group and the other 2 are the other hunt group, it gets a
bit more hairy.  Obviously its not *terribly* difficult, but it is going
to require some scripting to split apart which is which and adding up.

The usrSlotUtilizationTable gives you number of calls active on a
per-slot basis, which removes the adding up part at least, and also
gives you a nice index value that corresponds with the slot number.
Again...not that it would be terribly hard to come up with in a script,
but with these OIDs, its possible that there would be no script needed
at all.

Incidentally, this table also gives you total number of calls possible
on a per-slot basis (so, if its a quad, it gives you a 4, if its a DSP
running PRI, it gives you a 23, etc.), and nicely calculates a
percentage utilization which is kinda cool (though easily figured out
with the other two numbers :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-