Subject: (usr-tc) RE: (USR-TC) CISCO ROUTER

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:26:29 +0000

U>On Mon, 15 May 2000, Jeff Mcadams wrote:

U>> Also sprach Jeff Binkley
U>> >A few weeks back there was a discussion here on the amount of
U>> >memory required for a Cisco router running in a multihomed
U>> >environment and BGP4.  The recommendation was 128M of memory.  I am
U>> >interested in how much bandwidth into the Internet folks are seeing
U>> >BGP4 use in this type of environment.  Is it a significant amount ?
U>> >Can someone put a quantity around it ?

U>> You can run 2 full views in 64megs of ram...its rather tight though,
U>> so 128megs is definitely recommended.

U>We're fitting 3 full views into a 64 meg 3620, but just barely -- only
U>about 5 meg free, and CPU is running around 40%.  DON'T try this at
U>home, kids; we're ONLY doing it because the 7206VXR we ordered is
U>backordered and our UUNET T1 showed up early.  I'm surprised it
U>actually worked, really.  But at the rate the table's growing, that 5
U>meg will be gone by the end of the summer.

U>A 3640 should be considered the rock bottom minimum these days, and a
U>3661 or 7100 or 7200 would give a lot more breathing room.  We went
U>7206VXR to get away from external CSU/DSU's -- cramming a ton of
U>WIC-1DSU-T1's into a 3661 would have been ugly and not very efficient
U>use of the available slots... plus we can put T3's into it later as we
U>need them.

U>BGP itself doesn't take much bandwidth, and bandwidth doesn't affect
U>memory usage.  It might affect CPU usage, though.  We're pushing about
U>2 megabits of backbone traffic into that 3620 and back out the other
U>side to some internal T1/ethernet links.

Mike,

Thanks.  I do have a 7200 which I am building for this.  Your input was 
helpful.  I did find that Kingston sells Cisco memory at 40% of what 
Cisco asks for it.  Does anyone else have cheap sources ?  Regular 
memory does seem to work but I can't get an answer from Cisco what is 
"special" about their memory other than the price.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42 9999

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "Stainforth, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:30:12 +0000

Cisco has a list of approved third-party memory vendors that you can use.
In speaking with a technician about upgrading some routers, he gave me
vendor part numbers and everything.  I'm quite sure Kingston was on the list
as well.

One thing I did run into lately was early early early revisions of the 2500
series not taking Kingston memory due to some kind of requirement for an
intel chip ID.

Matthew Stainforth  ||  Technical Services Manager ||  BrunNet Inc.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 12:15 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: (usr-tc) RE: (USR-TC) CISCO ROUTER
> 
> 
> 
> 

-