Subject: (usr-tc) EMERGENCY - Help with Netserver LAN-LAN

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:00:33 +0000

Hello,

We've lost the router that provides backhaul at one of our POPs in
downtown Manhattan.  Our equipment is in the restricted zone east of the
World Trade Center area, so we are unable to reach it for repairs, and
have so far been unable to contact the personnel on duty for assistance in
verifying the status of the router.

As a workaround, I'm looking to do some hackery.  The only POP we have
physical access to has lots of spare POTS lines, and an old
Netserver-based 45A chassis.  The crippled POP has ARCs, and I can
dial in and authenticate locally to get access to the CLI. What I would
like to do is the following:

-set up a local user on the arc that has no session timeout and allows up
to 8 sessions to be bonded together with MLPPP
-set up the netserver to dial out on 8 POTS lines to the crippled location
and log in as the user set up above
-set the default route on the ARC to point to the dial-in session

Essentially I want to get bandwidth from POP to POP via 8 POTS lines as a
band-aid measure until I can get to the crippled POP to
replace/reboot/repair the router.  It will be slow, but... better than
nothing, which is what we've got.

My main problems are:

-can I point default to a dialed-in session on the arc, and how
-my netserver skills have really faded...
-I'm thinking I'll get stuck on MLPPP, setting up the local user to dial
out, and nailing the session up.

Anyone around that can answer that arc question (and give some hints on
making a local user) and/or remembers a good deal about the netserver cli?

Thanks,

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:15:52 +0000

Also sprach Charles Sprickman
>-can I point default to a dialed-in session on the arc, and how

Yes, I *believe* you do this with the command:
set network user <username> ip default_route_option enable

>-my netserver skills have really faded...

As have mine, but I do have one or two sitting on a shelf that I could
slap in a unit and try to figure out what needs to be set to do what you
need to do...

Give me a call (numbers in the .sig) if you want me to do so (I'll let
you call since I suspect you'll be *much* busier than I today ;).  My
extension is 1153.

>-I'm thinking I'll get stuck on MLPPP, setting up the local user to
>dial out, and nailing the session up.

>making a local user) and/or remembers a good deal about the netserver

You *might* find it easier to use the on-demand routing in the Arc to
make the calls.  The Arc can look in the user's table for users that can
dial to a remote gateway on-demand...it can use this as a default route
as well I believe.  Alternatively, you could run RIPv2 over this
connection from your NETServer and even get dynamic routing on it...or
inject default into your RIPv2 cloud and let RIPv2 handle the default.

Again...I'm available for any help that I can give...
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:36:07 +0000

> set network user <username> ip default_route_option enable

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks,

Charles

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:43:52 +0000

I don't have the old manuals, but I do remember an entire section dedicated
to connecting one TC hub to another via dialup connections, just like the
current manuals have. It is possible, the problem will be getting the
correct information to do so. If you have a current 3Com contract you could
search the archives. The last time I did they had manuals online going back
to the dark ages. Jeff is probably the most knowledgable person on this list
to have on your side, and his willingness to break out an antique and fire
it up should be considered a great act of kindness. I know I have an old
netserver on the shelf somewhere, but no code for it, and no manuals.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Sprickman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) EMERGENCY - Help with Netserver LAN-LAN

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:23:34 +0000

Charles,

I don't think that you have an option for default_route on the Netserver.
However I know that I can do this for you.  What you need is setup a
location and a corresponding user, based on the location you can start the
lan to lan and one of the options on the location is to have the default
route.

If you need help - send me an email or page me - send an email to
[email-masked] and will help you do this.

V

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:33:56 +0000

Also sprach [email-masked]
>I don't think that you have an option for default_route on the
>Netserver.  However I know that I can do this for you.  What you need
>is setup a location and a corresponding user, based on the location you
>can start the lan to lan and one of the options on the location is to
>have the default route.

Actually, I think he needs to the default route on the Arc to point *to*
the NETServer.  Either could probably do the actual dialing, but the Arc
is in the facility in NY with no backhaul access, so its the one that
needs the default route to point over the dial-up link.  The NETServer
would have a default route pointing out over its ethernet interface as a
typical setup would be.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 04:58:53 +0000

I haven't had a chance to test this out as I've got bigger fish to fry...

Thanks for all the input though, I very much appreciate it...

Charles

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:25:16 +0000

I'll tell you one good thing about the usr gear...  It seems to operate
just fine when the ambient temperature outside the cabinet is 106
degrees...  Sadly, the little Cisco did not like that temperature...

-