Subject: (usr-tc) Re: Net Server Y2K compliance

From: Kevin Benton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 00:29:31 +0000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Ivan Baby wrote:

> You are correct with your assessment of the Y2K status of NetServer 3.8.1.
> NetServer 3.8.1 is compliant through the year 2035. NetServer does not maintain
> its own clock but is dependent on an NTP server for the time. Has anyone asked
> the customer to display the time on their NTP server to see if it is correct?

If this is true, then why does a show time show a date of something in
1900 on both NetServers we're using?  Why is the clock so far off?  How
can I get it set properly?  My ARC's are doing just fine with NTP.  NTP is
being served by a local Linux box which is itself served by Ohio State
University and Washington State University time servers (with a maximum 30
second difference) once every 24 hours.  Are you saying my NTP is broken?

E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Web:     http://users.sota-oh.com/~s1kevin/
Unsolicited advertisements processing fee: $50 subject to change without notice

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Clayton Zekelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 00:39:39 +0000

>second difference) once every 24 hours.  Are you saying my NTP is broken?

Is it possible that you don't have NTP set up correctly on the Netservers?
I know that prior to implementing NTP, my Netservers showed 1900, even in
1998.  Once the settings were entered, configuration saved and the cards
rebooted, the time updated, and displayed properly.

> "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
---
Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
875 Ouellette Avenue
Windsor, Ontario
N9A 4J6

tel. 519-985-8410
fax. 519-258-3009

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:03:47 +0000

Thus spake Kevin Benton
>> You are correct with your assessment of the Y2K status of NetServer
>> 3.8.1.  NetServer 3.8.1 is compliant through the year 2035. NetServer
>> does not maintain its own clock but is dependent on an NTP server for
>> the time. Has anyone asked the customer to display the time on their
>> NTP server to see if it is correct?

>can I get it set properly?  My ARC's are doing just fine with NTP.  NTP
>is being served by a local Linux box which is itself served by Ohio
>State University and Washington State University time servers (with a
>maximum 30 second difference) once every 24 hours.  Are you saying my
>NTP is broken?

What's the command that you're using on your Linux box to sync with OSU
and Washington State?  The way you said it sounds like its being synced
with ntpdate once a day, rather than letting ntpd run and adjust it
constantly.  I *believe* that ntpd will not serve as a time sync source
for other systems if its not actively synced up with its own time
sources...ie, running ntpdate once a day doesn't hack it.  :)  Perhaps
you're aware of this and I'm misinterpreting your message.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: "Bob Purdon (Lists)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 08:44:54 +0000

> second difference) once every 24 hours.  Are you saying my NTP is broken?

Not necessarily that your NTP is broken, but that your NETserver cards are
having trouble talking to it.  We use NTP here with our NETserver cards
and every card is fine.

The symptoms presented so far, as well as the 'me to' and 'not here'
comments from others, suggest that this is probably configuration
dependent.

Of course it *may* be a NETserver bug, but the evidence so far suggests
configuration is more likely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Purdon,                          Ground Floor, Marine Board Building
Technical Manager (Tas/Vic),                  1 Franklin Wharf, Tas 7000
Southern Internet Services.                            +61 (3) 6234 7444

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:02:51 +0000

> configuration is more likely.

Its not a NETServer bug.  Its configuration - also its not a y2k bug for 
the NETServer does still work and does not use NTP to anything other than 
MPIP, so if all of your NETServers are showing the same time - your MPIP 
will also work fine.  

Check your configuration, make sure that your NTP works, do a reset time 
on the NETSErver - if all this does not work - do a erase flash on the 
NETServer and reconfigure the same.

krish

-