Subject: (usr-tc) Total Control Enterprise Network Hub

From: Greg Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 03:01:04 +0000

Hello!

I've got a Total Control Enterprise Network Hub that has a red "Hub Status"
light on the Network Management Card.  I tried doing a software reset and
shutting it down and powering it back on but the light pops back to red
after about 30 seconds.  I can't find anything wrong with it, it is still
sending and receiving information.  My callers haven't complained about low
bandwidth or inability to do anything.  According to the manual it is a
Critical Chassis Failure.  What do I need to do to the box to make the green
light come back?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg Long
Tech Support
Coastlink
801-532-6212 ext 32
[email-masked]
http://www.coastlink.com

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:27:36 +0000

Thus spake Greg Long
>I've got a Total Control Enterprise Network Hub that has a red "Hub
>Status" light on the Network Management Card.  I tried doing a software
>reset and shutting it down and powering it back on but the light pops
>back to red after about 30 seconds.  I can't find anything wrong with
>it, it is still sending and receiving information.  My callers haven't
>complained about low bandwidth or inability to do anything.  According
>to the manual it is a Critical Chassis Failure.  What do I need to do
>to the box to make the green light come back?  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated!

Could be a faulty fan in the fan tray or faulty power supply.

Walk the uchasPowerSupplyTable for information about the power supplies,
and, unfortunately, it seems that there is no OID to find out about fan
failures...3Com, is there a possibility that this can be added?
Obviously, they are instrumented as you can get traps on fan failures
and auto-response scripts for fan failures...
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Stephen Amadei <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 05:38:46 +0000

> and auto-response scripts for fan failures...

Aren't the fans in the fantray two wire?  I don't think two wire fans
can be tested for failure, like the new three wire PC chassis and CPU
fans.

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Director of MIS
Dandy Connections, Inc.
Atlantic City, NJ

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 15:04:52 +0000

Thus spake Stephen Amadei

>can be tested for failure, like the new three wire PC chassis and CPU

Dunno...haven't checked that closely...but I do know that there is a
trap enable for fan failures, as well as an auto-response script, so I'm
pretty sure they are instrumented.  I'll pull a fan tray to see if I can
tell if I think about it today.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-