Subject: [USR-TC] Connection Problems with new circuits

From: Kevin Hemsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:26:16 +0000

A while back, the phone company moved the old copper T1 circuits at one of
our POPs onto fiber. From that day forward, *Many* users have experienced
connection problems: can't connect, frequent disconnects. These users can
dial other POPs and connect fine. Multiple trouble tickets with the phone
company have resulted in multiple switch technicians going through the phone
company's switch configuration, but none have found anything wrong. Some
customers seem to connect fine, others can't connect at all. The over-all
utilization of this POP has dropped 40% - 50% since the switch to fiber.
Users began calling out other POPs. The problem "seems" to be related to
where a customer calls from. We have provided phone numbers of example
customers who are experiencing the problem to the phone company, but they
haven't been able to find anything.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? We are running multiple
chassis all running Hiper DSPs at this POP.

Thanks,
                Kevin.
------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Hemsley
Systems Engineer
[email-masked]
NF7J

---

From: Brad Gass <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:27:25 +0000

I have a similar issue going on with our only POP running USR CT1 gear
(currently old quad units - planning to move to HiperDSP later this year).

When customers call in from the native exchange area (ie. same NXX-NXX
access number), it works flawlessly.  However, when they call in over an
EAS circuit (NXX from telco 1 to NXX from telco 2), it's nothing but
problems.

It's not just a v.90 issue either, as I have v.90 disabled on one CT1 span
for our super-rural "problem" users who can't stay connected at v.90
speeds.  So, it happens across two chassis, four CT1 spans, all
quad/netserver/T1 gear.

It seems to be the worst with Winmodems, even Lucent based ones (that I
generally have the best luck with).  Hopeless with Aureal/Motorola "SM56"
modems.  With or without v.90 disabled on the client end.

Could this have anything to do with the ANI digits I get from the telco (I
know I'm getting them as I can hear them rattle through before the connect
with the T-Berd)?

Thanks again for any tips!

Brad

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Kevin Hemsley wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:35:03 +0000

This sounds just like the problem someone was describing on the other list
quite a few months ago.  If I remember right, the poster was a largish
customer with an in-house lab, and he was able to reproduce the error but
couldn't get anyone's attention at 3Com.  Very similar problems, and it
had to do with going from one carrier to another...  I was keeping track
of it for a while, but he was having no luck.  We had similar problems.
The guy was unable to get Cisco or Lucent/Ascend gear to break the same
way.

C

--
Charles Sprickman
[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Bertolozzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:29:26 +0000

Yes...I have seen this on occasion. It could be that with the addition of
the fiber some callers now have a "new route" to take to reach the phone
switch and your gear causing too many "step downs" which will translate into
those callers getting crappy connections if they connect at all, and no
v.90.

Sorry I lack the terminology to explain this fully if this is indeed what is
going on.  Curious...what telco is this with. I have a similar problem with
a telco in Michigan that has forced us to remove service of 29 T1's with
them to another provider.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kevin Hemsley
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 12:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] Connection Problems with new circuits

Thanks,
                Kevin.