Subject: (usr-tc) Going nowhere fast...

From: Jerry Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:44:41 +0000

We had a USR TC box with 48 modems and 2 T1s.  It worked...
Well, we got our third T1 and a used TC box.  Now, about a third of our
customers log on, get authenticated, and sit there (ping and traceroute
work, web browsing doesn't). Or else, they get an error 750 or 765 or
other type error.  Could our new T1 NIC card be bad?  It passes the
various tests?  Help!!!  
   Other info, the T1 performance test tells me 3865 bipolar whatever
errors in the last 24 hours.  Bad card???  US West says the line tests
out good.

             Jerry Wright
             Internet Access of Moses Lake

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian Hitchcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:10:27 +0000

Are they getting the right DNS server information?

Brian Hitchcock
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Jerry Wright <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 12:42 AM
Subject: (usr-tc) Going nowhere fast...

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:34:05 +0000

> other type error.  Could our new T1 NIC card be bad?  It passes the

When you say you got a third box - I understand that you got a USR 
Chassis, with a T1 card, modems, nmc and a router card (either Hiper arc 
or NETSERVER). From what you say is that the users dial in and they get 
authenticated but cannot browse etc, then the problem is on the router 
card or on your network.  

May be you are running out of IP address, or maybe the ip address are 
overlapping, or you have a problem with arp cache - 
So in short looks like our t1 card is fine and you need to take a look at 
the routing part of the connection.

> errors in the last 24 hours.  Bad card???  US West says the line tests
If you have line problems the calls will drop/ not connect etc.  
You need to take a look at your hiper/netserver and see what is happeing 
from that end.

krish

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:28:36 +0000

Thus spake Tatai SV Krishnan

>You need to take a look at your hiper/netserver and see what is happeing 

To expand a bit...if you're getting bipolar variation errors, that is
cause for concern, but from your description of your problem, this isn't
related.  Put the BPV errors on the back burner for now...get your
routing problem solved, and come back to the BPV's...it is definitely
something you need to look at eventually.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jerry Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:12:36 +0000

Yes, it MUST be a routing problem.  I have a Netserver card and NMC,
with a pool of x.x.x.10 thru x.x.x.65 for the first box. In the second
box I have the NMC set to x.x.x.66, the Netserver set to x.x.x.67 and
the pool set to x.x.x.68 thru x.x.x.128.  
    The I.P. Gateway is set to x.x.x.1  Here...
Command> sho global
       System Name: tcbox2
        IP Gateway: 207.178.26.1           Gateway Metric: 1
       IPX Gateway: 00000000:000000000000  Gateway Metric: 0
     Default Route: Broadcast, Listen (On)

            Domain: iaml.net                 Name Service: DNS
      Name Servers: 207.178.26.2    0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0

      Sys Loghosts: 207.178.26.150  0.0.0.0
     RADIUS Server: 207.178.26.3       Port:  1645              Version:
1
Alt. RADIUS Server: 0.0.0.0            Port:  1645              Version:
1
 Accounting Server: 207.178.26.3       Port:  1646              Version:
1
 Alt. Acct. Server: 0.0.0.0            Port:  1646              Version:
1
   NTP Time Server: 0.0.0.0            Alt. Time Server: 0.0.0.0
       MPIP Server: 0.0.0.0            Port:  5912
       MPIP Server: 0.0.0.0            Port:  5912
       MPIP Server: 0.0.0.0            Port:  5912
       MPIP Server: 0.0.0.0            Port:  5912
   PPTP IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Telnet Access Port:   23         TCP Maximal Segment Size: 0
  Assigned Address: 207.178.26.68        Reported Address: 207.178.26.67
Assigned Pool Size: 61              Periodic CHAP timeout: 5

-- Press Return for More --

      PPP in modem: ON        SLIP in modem: OFF       Packet bus clock:
MASTER
ICMP error logging: OFF     Connect message: OFF      Dial !root access:
ON
 Random hosts list: OFF                SNMP: ON               Proxy Arp:
ON
  Response message: OFF         PPP message: ON         Lan/Wan Routing:
ON
     RIP V2 Authen: OFF   VPN Local Routing: OFF            MPIP Server:
OFF
     Hint assigned: OFF           Tap Login: OFF        Syslog facility:
auth
  Extd. IPXCP Opts: OFF        Acct AuthChk: OFF/OFF      Send DNS info:
ON
DNS cache reset timeout: 0 days 0 hours 30 minutes (30 min)
Configured Ethernet media: Autodetect
Command>
   That's what it says....
           --Help!!!!
                --Jerry

-

---

From: Jerry Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:30:11 +0000

Yes they are...  In fact, last night I got logged into the new box, and I
could ping and tracert out of windows, but couldn't go anywhere.  It could be
what IP address I was assigned, maybe...
            --Jerry

-

---

From: Jerry Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 17:43:54 +0000

To those of you who thought routing might be a problem...
   Right on!
     It turns out that I had routing in the problem box set to "quiet". 
Both boxes are now set to "listen".  Hopefully this will fix the
problem.
                        --Jerry

-

---

From: Jerry Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 22:05:53 +0000

Well, now half our customers can go somewhere, half can't...   I'd be
willing to pay someone to walk me thru this...   (509) 765-9640.   They log
on, can't go anywhere.  ???

-