Subject: (usr-tc) Adding Hiper DSP to Netserver/Quad modem chassis

From: Tim Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:11:47 +0000

I have an older TC chassis with T1/PRI, Quad modem, Netserver PRI, and NMC
cards, and two 45amp power supplies. The Netserver and NMC have 16mb ram
added (total of 20 I think, the cards have 4mb on board if I remember). I
saw a posting to the list indicating that a Hiper DSP card could be added to
the chassis as long as the modem density was set properly in the Netserver
card for the slot that the Hiper DSP card occupies. Does anyone know if
certain versions of software are required in the Netserver and/or NMC to
work with the Hiper DSP? I haven't upgraded the software in those cards for
quite some time since the chassis works great (except for the occasional
modems that won't answer--requires a chassis reset every 60 days or so) and
my customers get great x2 and v.90 connects (I use the box myself and
usually get a 49333 with the occasional 52000 and 53333--amazing considering
we're using channelized T1's with AMI/D4 on this box). If anyone is running
a Hiper DSP in a TC chassis similar to mine, I would appreciate feedback on
what software versions you're running and how the box has performed after
adding the Hiper DSP. Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or info.
Tim Brown
SumterNet, Inc.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:24:55 +0000

You need an upgrade to the NMC card if I'm not mistaken.  Plus you need
new software for the netserver.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:56:00 +0000

Hi,
The other person is correct. The NMC will need a ROM upgrade to 8k and the
software will also need upgrading. On the Compatibility matrix, you should
upgrade to at least TCS 3.3, which will have the NMC at 5.5.5, the Netserver
at 3.8.1 and the DSP card at 1.2.37. You didn't state whether your T1 card
is 186 or 386, but I noticed that there is no latest code for the 186. If
you use TCM, don't forget to upgrade that first to 5.5.1 (or better).

We ran for a short while with a hiperDSP in a netserver rack. It seemed to
be just fine, but we had purchased the upgrade bundle that included the
hiperARC and within a few days had swapped that in.

You should be able to do up to 96 modems in your rack with the netserver.
Remember that the power supplies will no longer be redundant once you put in
the DSP.

Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tim Brown
> Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 11:02 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: (usr-tc) Adding Hiper DSP to Netserver/Quad modem chassis
>
>

-

---

From: Andrew Aken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:51:17 +0000

We had real problems when we tried to run the HiPer DSP's with the
Netserver. Throughput dropped off considerably and anyone playing games
(e.g. Quake) over the Internet would complain incessantly.

-- 
=======================================================
===========      Andrew Aken - President      =========
======       GlobalEyes Communications, Inc.     ======
=Southern Illinois' Fastest Connection to the Internet=
==========      http://www.GlobalEyes.net      ========
=======================================================

-