Subject: (usr-tc) chat_script syntax

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:16:19 +0000

We've been killing ourselves trying to find reference for chat_script(s) for
hiper arc.

We're trying to make the hiper TC emulate what our netserver and portmaster
boxes do.

Users have three choices when they connect:

- Blue Moon X2/V.90 -

Select HOST:

ppp
shell
bbs

Type new to register for net access.
<<<

shell telnets them into our shell box, BBS rlogins them into our BBS machine
and new is a new user program which runs on a unix box to allow text terminals
to register for access. "ppp" obviously starts a PPP session.

PortMaster3 > sh user new
     Username: new                                Type: Login User
         Host: dec                       Login Service: rlogin (513)

PortMaster3 > sh ta user
                                              Netmask/
Name     Type             Address/Host        Service     RIP
-------- ---------------- ------------------- ----------  ---
new      Login User       dec                 Rlogin
NEW      Login User       dec                 Rlogin
shell    Login User       dec                 Telnet
bbs      Login User       bbs                 Rlogin

The only reference I have found for chat_script is one from the list archives
which didn't work. It's auth line looks like this:

AUTHENTICAT LOGIN_BANNER=""LOGIN_PROMPT="Username:";

Which just does a "Chat Script Operation done, but verification failed" no
matter how many changes I make to that line. I did find out by trial and error
that the single command "PPP;" starts up an unauthenticated PPP session which
is obviously no good unless you give away free internet.

I have been able to find ZERO documentation on chat_script syntax and options.
I must have a functioning host prompt (host:) which also allows radius
authed PPP sessions to be started for legacy compatibility with user scripts.

How the hell do I do this on a HARC TC?

Anyone want to buy a brand new hiper chassis with 48 ports? I am so fed up with
this thing and 3com that I'm ready to take a bath to be shut of it for once
and for all. I was told by my rep at one of USR's biggest sellers that hiper
was 100% backward compatible with ComOS' syntax. This tc hiper (POS) has made
me miserable and has been holding up adding more dialups.

If I can't get this thing going the way it ought to be this week I will get rid
of it for another PM3 which have been great boxes for us since the modem
code stabilized. I also have a netserver TC which is easy to deal with as it
uses ComOS for its OS. Damn USR/3Com for their hiper nightmare.

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
[email-masked]         net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network
http://www.bluemoon.net   mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD
bbs.bluemoon.net          irc.bluemoon.net - ZUHnet Buffalo, NY IRC Server

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:39:32 +0000

> We've been killing ourselves trying to find reference for chat_script(s) for

Do you have the latest manual? There is good refrence and info on chat 
scripts there.  Also you can take a look at 3kb to get samples on chat 
scripts.

Here is a sample

          PPP or SLIP traffic, it immediately closes the chatting and 
starts the detected network service. 

          Here is an example with syntax description for the symptom 
mentioned above. 

          TIMEOUT 60; 
          begin: 
          SEND "Welcome to the Hiper ARC\n"; 
          do_host: 
          SEND "host:"; 
          EXPECT %host; 
          IF ($host == "") GOTO do_host; 
          IF ($host == "ppp") GOTO do_ppp; 
          TELNET $host; 
          GOTO hang; 
          do_ppp: 
          AUTHENTICATE LOGIN_BANNER="" LOGIN_PROMPT="Username:"; 
          hang: 
          HANGUP; 

          Syntax Description: 

          SEND: The SEND command is used to output strings and values of 
variables to the user. The string
          portions must be enclosed within matching single or double 
quotes, but not the variables. Use the
          sequence "n" to output a new-line. 

          TIMEOUT: A timeout value can be specified when expecting input 
from the user. The value is in
          seconds. 

          EXPECT: The EXPECT statement is used to read input from the 
user. The input procession starts
          when a carriage-return is pressed. 

          CONDITIONAL Constructs: An IF construct is supported to check 
for values of variables. The IF
          statement is followed by an expression and a GOTO construct. 
The only possible expressions are '=='
          which checks for equality, and '!=' which checks for 
non-equality. The goto statement refers to a label
          that has to be present someplace in the script. 

          ACTION Statements: The action statements currently supported 
are TELNET, RLOGIN and PPP.
          Upon disconnecting from the application - Telnet, Rlogin and 
PPP, the control resumes from the next
          statement in the chat-script. 

          AUTHENTICATE Construct: This construct allows authentication of 
the user while chat-scripting. 
          After Authentication the user will be connected to the proper 
services according to his user-profile. 
          If the user-profile describes a PPP (or SLIP) user, then PPP 
(or SLIP) service is started. If the
          user-profile describes a login type user, then telnet, rlogin 
or clear-tcp service is started for the user. 

          HANGUP: The script can issue a hang-up command at any time 
during the processing. The HANGUP
          construct is used without any arguments.The call is 
automatically hung up after completion of telnet
          to a remote host. 

          CLI COMMANDS ON HIPER ARC 

          ADD CHAT_SCRIPT <filename> 

          This command adds the specified file to the chat script table. 
An ADD has to be performed before
          chat scripting can take place for a user whose VSA attribute 
refers to this file. Multiple users can
          reference the same chat file. This command verifies the syntax 
of the script file and adds it to the table.
          The name of the file does not have any particular syntax or 
extension. 

          DELETE CHAT_SCRIPT <filename> 

          This command deletes the specified file from the chat script 
table. 

          VERIFY CHAT_SCRIPT <filename> 

          This command verifies the syntax of a chat file which has 
previously been added. This command is
          useful when the file has been modified and needs to be checked 
for syntax again without doing a
          delete and an add. 

          SHOW CHAT_SCRIPT <filename> 

          This command displays the entire chat file. 

          LIST CHAT_SCRIPTS 

          This command lists the chat files from the chat script table. 

krish

-

---

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:18:10 +0000

> scripts there.  Also you can take a look at 3kb to get samples on chat 

No, I don't have the latest manual, can I get it without shelling out more hard
earned cash?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is 3kb?

> Here is a sample

8<---

'AUTHENTICATE LOGIN_BANNER="" LOGIN_PROMPT="Username:";' bombs out with the
typical 'Chat Script Operation done, but verification failed'

VERIFY fails on it as well, of course.

I have tried that exact line several times by guesswork in the past. This is
very frustrating.

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:25:51 +0000

> Excuse my ignorance, but what is 3kb?
Its the 3com knowledge base - you can access it via 
http://totalservice.usr.com  
Its open to everyone.

> I have tried that exact line several times by guesswork in the past. This is
Which version of hiper arc code are you using and also do need to take a 
look at your script.

krish

-

---

From: Kevin Tucker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 07:28:44 +0000

I need another DSP card if you want to sell that chassis
Give me a price.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Blue Moon Network
Administrator
Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 9:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) chat_script syntax

Users have three choices when they connect:

- Blue Moon X2/V.90 -

Select HOST:

ppp
shell
bbs

shell telnets them into our shell box, BBS rlogins them into our BBS machine
and new is a new user program which runs on a unix box to allow text
terminals
to register for access. "ppp" obviously starts a PPP session.

PortMaster3 > sh ta user
                                              Netmask/

The only reference I have found for chat_script is one from the list
archives
which didn't work. It's auth line looks like this:

Which just does a "Chat Script Operation done, but verification failed" no
matter how many changes I make to that line. I did find out by trial and
error
that the single command "PPP;" starts up an unauthenticated PPP session
which
is obviously no good unless you give away free internet.

I have been able to find ZERO documentation on chat_script syntax and
options.
I must have a functioning host prompt (host:) which also allows radius
authed PPP sessions to be started for legacy compatibility with user
scripts.

Anyone want to buy a brand new hiper chassis with 48 ports? I am so fed up
with
this thing and 3com that I'm ready to take a bath to be shut of it for once
and for all. I was told by my rep at one of USR's biggest sellers that hiper
was 100% backward compatible with ComOS' syntax. This tc hiper (POS) has
made
me miserable and has been holding up adding more dialups.

If I can't get this thing going the way it ought to be this week I will get
rid
of it for another PM3 which have been great boxes for us since the modem
code stabilized. I also have a netserver TC which is easy to deal with as it
uses ComOS for its OS. Damn USR/3Com for their hiper nightmare.

-

-

---

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:15:08 +0000

> I need another DSP card if you want to sell that chassis

I'll be damned if that HARC box isn't working somewhat now thanks to a little
assistance by the saviour, Krish.

Turns out that the AUTHENTICATE chat script directive wasn't quite functional
in the code we had.

The HARC box is still a little flaky (odd batches of NULLs seem to get spit out
her and there in dialup terminal telnet/rlogin relays and administrative
inbound telnets) and I can't seem to flash up the DSP's to 2.0.60 with TCM
5.5.1 and can't access later versions on totalservusr, but it is acting
somewhat the way it ought to now.

I really miss ComOS based code, but we'll stick it out a bit longer and see
what happens. Now that the PM's are dead I don't think I have a lot of choices
anymore, I'm no acsend fan.... 

-