Subject: (usr-tc) HiPER Dsp Vs Quad Modem

From: Paul Oster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:33:39 +0000

Ok, I've brought this up with 3com tech support, and they have not
been able
to answer my questions...  I run approximately 8-10% Lost-Carrier
Rates on
my Quad Modem based chassis.  On my DSP based chassis, that number is
15-17%.

I can attribute 1 in 10 calls dropping to flakey phone lines, poor
client modems
etc, but beyond that, I have to question what is going on.

I have tested to eliminate T1's from the equation by switching the 2
spans that
plugged into the Quad-Chassis with the 2 from the DSP-Chassis, and the
results
are exactly the same (24 hour test period in both cases)

Now I've got 7 dsp cards in service (2 chassis split 5/2) and both
chassis show
the 15+% loss.

Any suggestions as to why these dsp modems are more prone to dropping
connections?

DSP Code 2.0.81
ARC Code 4.1.59-6
NMC 6.2.17

Thanks

Paul

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:08:49 +0000

>NMC 6.2.17

Try bumping the ARC code up to 4.2.32, with that and 2.0.81 I'm seeing
8-10% failure rates. This has actually gone up from about 5% when I was
running ARC 4.1.59-6/DSP 1.2.60. I'm hoping the next DSP upgrade gets the
rate back down some.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA   814-941-5000      http://www.keyconn.net

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:24:20 +0000

I'll bet the difference is customers with Rockwell HCF modems.  They
connect more reliably to Quads.  Not that they connect very reliably to
*anything*...

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

-