Subject: (usr-tc) dns server assignment in PPP

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:48:04 +0000

I am having trouble with one of my TCH's assigning the dns servers as part
of the PPP negotiation. The other chassis's all do it fine, but I can't tell
what the difference in the configuration is. SHOW PPP lists the correct dns
servers on all the chassis. Any ideas as to what I should look for?

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 05:25:49 +0000

We do it like:

set ppp DNS_USAGE system
add dns server x.y.z.a preference 1
add dns server z.y.z.b preference 2

list dns servers and sh ppp to make sure it all looks right.

... but you could also do it like:

set ppp DNS_USAGE ppp
set ppp PPPDNS_PRIMARY x.y.z.a
set ppp PPPDNS_SECONDARY x.y.z.b

sh ppp then says:

DNS configuration Usage:                  PPP (I guess?)

Primary PPP DNS Server address:           x.y.z.a
Secondary PPP DNS  Server address:        x.y.z.b

Hope this helps.

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc. (aka NETDOOR)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Mark Thornton
> Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 8:30 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: (usr-tc) dns server assignment in PPP
>
>

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 06:01:14 +0000

The hiper arc show ppp settings, have the IP address of DNS server and 
also a setup where you can tell if the IP address that the hiper arc 
should assign is the Systems DNS servers or the specific dns server 
mentioned for PPP users

The option is DNS configuration usage - it can either be System or PPP or 
NONE.  If set to none - you will not get DNS, if set PPP and if there is 
no PPP DNS server address setup - again no DNS server, if set to system 
the the HiPer arc's DNS server IP will be given out.

Again for all this to work you have to make sure that the client does 
request DNS during PPP - Most of the clients do.

regards

krish

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 21:26:32 +0000

The problem was that all of my chassis's dns usage were set to system, not
PPP. I never bothered to set the dns server in the newest chassis because I
never do a domain name lookup from the arc. I never noticed the impact of
the dns usage parameter. I kept resetting the ppp dns server but didn't
understand why that wasn't working. Thanks to all who responded and pointed
this out.

Mark Thornton

-