Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Multiple DSP disconnects

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:45:29 +0000

At 12:39 AM 2/18/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>If they're all from the first 12 channels only, or the second 12 channels 
>only, turn off v.42bis hardware compression.
>
>
>Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/

Mike, where do you turn off v.42bis?

David
__________________________________________________
David Swearingin ([email-masked])
CARROLLTON INTERNET SERVICE (www.carolnet.com)
First Financial Group, Inc.
11 N. Folger, Carrollton, MO  64633
660-542-3002   Fax 660-542-3003

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:05:34 +0000

What does v42DisconnectCmd(26) reason for call termination mean?  How do I
prevent it?

David

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:11:25 +0000

Thus spake David Swearingin
>What does v42DisconnectCmd(26) reason for call termination mean?  How
>do I prevent it?

It means the customer's modem "gracefully" shut down the link.  Rather
than just pulling the plug on the connection, it sent the v42 protocol
command to disconnect, which does it a bit more gracefully.  This is at
the modem level, so that means that the floor just dropped out from
underneath the PPP connection running over top of it, so PPP didn't get
to shut down gracefully, but that's OK.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:16:56 +0000

Thanks Jeff.  How about another question?

What does rcvdGatewayDiscCmd(62) mean?

David

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:25:00 +0000

>What does rcvdGatewayDiscCmd(62) mean?

It means your HiPer Arc told the modem to hang up.  Again, nothing
really to worry about.  There's basically a race condition here on how
things transpire.  Does the PPP LCP termreq/termack thing happen quick
enough that the Arc has enough time to tell the modem to hang up, or
does the other side respond quicker and get the v42 disconnect through
to the modem first?  Both are indications of a normal disconnect most
likely.

To really determine if the disconnect is normal, you need to check the
disconnect reason from both the modem and from the HiPer Arc.  The
combination of the two will generally tell you what happened for sure
and whether its something to be worried about.  Most likely with the
reasons you have, its not something to worry about...they're normal.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:23:07 +0000

If you're using TCM, Configure->Programmed Settings->Data Compression
Settings.  Change it from "autoenable" to "none".

BUT... look at the disconnect reasons here first.  If v.42bis was causing
your problem, you'd see disconnect reasons of "v.42 invalid codeword" and
"v.42 string too long" and "link security abort".  If you're seeing this,
you've got a problem that turning v.42bis off will solve.  If you're not
seeing this, you've got something completely different.

(Look at http://www.dcr.net/~mandrews/usrtoys/discreasons.txt for a full
list)

3Com tells us that the v.42bis problem is hardware related (that's why it
only affects the first 12 or last 12 channels)...  however I haven't seen
a good explanation as to why it affects only v.42bis and nothing else the
card does, why lots of people have this exact same problem in the exact
same way (hardware normally fails a little more randomly than that), or if
it's related only to specific harware revisions of the card...  I've got
one DSP card out of 17 that has this problem.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-