Subject: [USR-TC] IP compression problem on TC1000

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:57:29 +0000

We have had a problem start to crop up with ISDN customers using Netopia
ISDN routers. We have been using ISDN routers for years, and have not
updated any code or settings on our TC in over a year. Our HARC code is
4.1.59.

Basically, we had customers using Netopia ISDN calling in telling us they
cannot get their router to connect. When we 'mon ppp' during the connection,
there is some sort of battle going on between the Netopia and the TC over
compression. There is a stream of COMPRESSION_TYPE REQ and NAKS going back
and forth. We then went into the Netopia and changed the compression method
back and forth between Ascend and Stac, with no definitive conclusion.
Usually after 2 or 3 power cycles, the router does connect. And sometimes
after it connects and has been online for a while, it simply stops passing
regular IP traffic (you can still ping it and telnet into it).

I called Netopia, and after they talked to their engineers, I got this
email:

"I don't have the specifics regarding the Total Control compression issues.
What I have found out is that the Netopia, if it is set for one type of
compression, will not try a different compression, even if the NACK request
from the upstream device requests a different type of compression.  So, if
your 3COM Access Server is set to only accept Ascend Compression, set the
Netopia for Ascend Compression."

I was wondering if anyone here has come across this issue. How do I verify
what compression settings the TC has? Is there some setting that is forcing
the TC to ONLY attempt a single compression type? Maybe someone here has
found a solution for this.

The Netopia routers in question are running firmware 4.8.2 - Netopia says
updating the firmware does not appear to resolve this issue on their end.

TIA,

Scot

---

From: Stephen Amadei <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 06:50:34 +0000

Has anyone else noticed anything strange about the TCS 4.3
code?  We just put a bunch of new code on a bunch of TC equipment
being deployed... and the damn things wouldn't take calls.

After pulling my hair out, I noticed the cards defaulted to 0 ports.
I had to specify the number of ports on _each_ card... and before that, I
had to tell the HiperARC that they were 24 port DSP cards.  WTF?  Is it
just me?

Then I noticed the damn code seems to have done something strange to SNMP,
and my TCView script wouldn't work.  I had to fiddle the code slightly to
make it work again... anyone else see this?  For the new code, download
version .93t from http://www.dandy.net/~amadei.

So I'm trying to check out the lastest code on TotalService, and my
userid doesn't work.  Who the hell is this stupid www.netscci.net
that is now controlling access to the software?

Half the time the pages don't work, my password keeps changing, and
suddenly I have no access to the TCS 4.3 code, I ALREADY DOWNLOADED!
I'll be annoyed if I don't have access to the 4.5 code when it comes out,
as that's why we broke down and paid for the ripoff support contract.

Speaking (and ranting... sorry) of the 4.5 code, is it still on target to
become available in Feb?  I have been slowly preparing out equipment for
it.

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.NET!  CTO
Atlantic City, NJ

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 20:59:12 +0000

TCS 4.3 notes.

NMC - works
HiperDSP/PRI v3.1.9 - doesn't work for us, reboots cards periodically, does
did 3.1.104
HiperARC (128M/16M) v5.2.102 - doesn't work for us, reboots periodically
TCM - WORKS (XP too!)

Stick with 4.2.32, 2.1.85 and new NMC code (or one rev back) if I were you.
I am hopeful that the v92 code will actually work and people are actually
testing it.  I decided not to be 3com's guinea pig based on the last few
revs of code.

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Amadei" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 12:50 AM
Subject: [USR-TC] TCS 4.3 oddity

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>
>