Subject: (usr-tc) HARC memory upgrades

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:55:49 +0000

I just purchased a used HiperArc, slapped it in and started poking around, 
the first thing I noticed was that it has half the memory as my original eg;

Original ARC:  DRAM = 131072
		ROM  = 16384

2nd ARC:	DRAM = 65536
		ROM  = 8192

They are both of the same hardware Rev (19.0.0)

Where can I find some memory modules for this card, or can I install some 
off the shelf stuff?

TIA!

- Mike

------------------------------------------------
Rock Island Communications, Inc.  (360)-378-5884
http://www.rockisland.com/  San Juan Islands, WA
------------------------------------------------

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:07:50 +0000

Also sprach Mike Greene
>I just purchased a used HiperArc, slapped it in and started poking
>around, the first thing I noticed was that it has half the memory as my
>original eg;

>Where can I find some memory modules for this card, or can I install
>some off the shelf stuff?

They will take off the shelf moduels, but I don't know the specs off the
top of my head.  I *think* I remember seeing info in the hardware
manuals for the Arcs about it, but don't quote me on that.

-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:51:26 +0000

>manuals for the Arcs about it, but don't quote me on that.

Yah, I found the spec.  Went to our memory cabinet and found that we don't 
have any 128MB EDO DIMM's , lots of 128/256MB ECC PC133 memory, but the 
notch in the chip is about 3mm off (I think this is the voltage notch).

Any ways, I'm going to just order up the right stuff from our vendor, the 
ROM can't be upgraded I guess since I didn't see any other slot than for 
the DIMM.

- Mike

-

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:53:03 +0000

Guys,

If you ever need to get memory for your ARC, do not buy "3COM" memory at 
$923.00 per stick (source tech), I just ordered a stick from my PC vendor 
(proper spec, etc) for $147.00

Good grief, talk about gouging the customer...

- Mike

-

---

From: Andrew Cutler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 06:16:08 +0000

Hi Mike.

I would be eternally grateful if you would email me the spec for that memory. I
work for a company using the ARC's but have no direct access to the boxes or the
local vendor and plenty is not happening because "it's too expensive". I would
love nothing better than to be able to price the memory locally and nail them
with "so we could do 6 nases for the price of one".

Cheers,

Andrew

--
When in doubt, mumble; when in trouble, delegate; when in charge, ponder.
        -James H. Boren.

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 06:55:09 +0000

Was that 3.3V 128MB ECC EDO?  If so:

http://www.thechipmerchant.com/24068-0.html

They've got a whole mess of stuff.  I think someone just posted specs a
while ago...

C

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-

---

From: Dave Lajoie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:38:19 +0000

Hi Mike,

	Me too! Believe it or not I was just talking to our CEO about the
cost of upgrading our TC HiPerARC memory yesterday! Please forward the
information here as well. And Thanks in advance!

Dave

-

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:07:31 +0000

I see I created some interest in this one! :-)  Here are the spec's, if you 
want to wait a couple days (I have not gotten my chip yet) to see if it 
does indeed work correctly I will post the results here...

But at 150.00 approx, it may be worth the gamble to just go for it...

You want the following:  168-pin 128MB EDO DRAM DIMM  (5 volt) the 
difference between the normal DIMM chips is the voltage notch, 3.3v and 5v 
are slightly off by about 3mm.

I'm sure Ingram, or Tech Data would carry it too, I didn't bother to check 
on our Ingram source, I just called Equus Computers (they have offices in 
14 states) we get nearly 70% of our PC clones and parts from them.

- Mike

-