Subject: (usr-tc) v90 firmware

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 06:03:47 +0000

Hey guys.  I need some help.  I don't have a support contract with USR,
but this is what I've got here.  We have 2 USR Total Controls with 48
modems in each.

The newer hardware of the two has older firmware for the modems not
supporting V.90, but the SMC card has the feature code in it to support
V.90.

The older hardware has the V.90 firmware on the modems (so we swapped them
from each chassis) and we're working on partial V.90.  However, we'd like
to get both of them all up to V.90 so we can utilize all of our ports once
again.  We have 1 PRI that is turned off because we cannot support it and
we're having some config problems.

I guess what I'm getting at here is.. I need to know where to get the
firmware.  Whether someone can email me it, or point me in the right
direction on getting it -- that would be great.  We are getting a lot of
angry customers because of busy signals that we shouldnt be getting had we
had the other TC up online accepting calls.

Please help?

Scott

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Randy Cosby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:49:22 +0000

What is the 3com policy on this?  As they have announced EOL for quads, can
people even get updated software?  Will the final version be made available
to those with a contract?  Can you even purchase a contract on unsupported
software?

IMHO the right thing to do would be to make the final quad code available
free of charge.  It won't cost them anything, and will not come with any
type of tech support.  Otherwise, the "black market" will end up taking care
of the problem, encouraging more illegal copying of software for other 3com
lines (DSP's, etc).

Randy

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scott Kupferschmidt
> Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 10:04 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: (usr-tc) v90 firmware
>
>

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:37:21 +0000

Also sprach Randy Cosby
>What is the 3com policy on this?  As they have announced EOL for quads,
>can people even get updated software?  Will the final version be made
>available to those with a contract?  Can you even purchase a contract
>on unsupported software?

The last time I talked to 3Com about this, I was required (at least in
theory) to include quads in the count of ports used to determine the
price of support for each chassis...even though I wouldn't be getting
any support on the quads because they were EOL'ed.  Go fig.

>IMHO the right thing to do would be to make the final quad code
>available free of charge.

Of course, 3Com has demonstrated an incredible resistance to doing the
right thing.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:19:42 +0000

Hi.  Well I guess I didn't get the response I had expected.  Can anyone
help me or no?  It's useless for us to pay for software that is already
EOL'd.

Scott

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:44:57 +0000

FYI: Software support only for one year (including the v92 update software
for compatible hardware is less than 2000 US) from more than one vendor
(Source and Solunet for sure).

Scott,

As well, in order to support v90 on the "other chassis" you will need a NMC
v90/x2 key - it's pricey - we might have a v90/x2 NMC around the office if
you would like it - 500 bucks or so - we have some HiperDSPs to pay for and
the above mentioned support!

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Kupferschmidt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 5:35 PM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) v.90 firmware

> > What is the 3com policy on this?  As they have announced EOL for quads,
can
> > IMHO the right thing to do would be to make the final quad code
available

-

---

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:48:08 +0000

Marshall,

my boss told me we already have the v90/x2 key in the NMC already.  the
only thing we are missing is the new firmware.

Scott

-