Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:38:15 +0000

John,

Min Hardware for v92
HiPer DSPs
HiPer ARC with 128MB RAM
HiPer NMC

http://www.commworks.com/Programs/v.92_Switchboard/

There are several trade in programs:
http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/

Quad trade-in
http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_V.92_Readiness/

Competitive Trade In
http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_Competitive_Trade-In/

NMC Card Trade In
http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_v.92_upgradepack/

Check them out and call your reseller.

John Scrivner <[email-masked]>@lists.xmission.com on 11/12/2001 01:18:50
PM

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   USR List <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92

Could someone please list the minimum equipment needed in a chassis to
perform V.92?

I have been hearing lately that I will have to replace my management
card? I know that quads are not supported so those are now junk. I have
a number of Hiper's and I hear they will work.

Also, are there any trade in programs that give a decent value for
upgrading?

I am certainly not looking forward to spending a bunch more on the soft
dialup business. Cable has been selling 256k here for 29.95 per month
with no setup fee and a free cable modem. No long term commitment
needed. I HATE THOSE GUYS !! Any help is appreciated.
Scriv

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:14:24 +0000

eep... 128 meg ram in the ARC?  Is there a minimum flash size requirement?
The old 64 meg ARCs aren't upgradable flash-wise, but are RAM-wise.

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.    # chmod a+x /bin/laden

-

---

From: Ed Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:09:22 +0000

Has anyone actually upgraded to V.92 is a better question...

If so did you actually PAY to do so? If so how much?

We have stopped buying 3com until they come to their senses...

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:00:02 +0000

Yes, we paid for the support contract upgrade. We already had the other
components except for the nmc. It has helped on its own seperate from the
v.92 question. Even though v.92 isn't working completely yet with any
vendor, Patton included, we found the improvement in connections for our
customers and tech support to be worth the investment. Others will likely
have a different opinion, but they probably believe in free internet
accounts as well.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Taylor" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:06 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT? (that is in
their right mind)

-

---

From: Ed Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:31:00 +0000

Support contract upgrade?

So you have to buy another support contract? How unlike 3com! Not...

Sorry, I do not wish to make this into a lengthy 3com s*cks thread... So
if someone could explain to me offlist I would appreciate the
assistance. Anyone...

Thanks,

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark Thornton
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 5:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT?
(that is in their right mind)

Yes, we paid for the support contract upgrade. We already had the other
components except for the nmc. It has helped on its own seperate from
the v.92 question. Even though v.92 isn't working completely yet with
any vendor, Patton included, we found the improvement in connections for
our customers and tech support to be worth the investment. Others will
likely have a different opinion, but they probably believe in free
internet accounts as well.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Taylor" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:06 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT? (that
is in their right mind)

> with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.  For information

> on digests or retrieving files and old messages send  "help" to the 
> same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.  For information
on digests or retrieving files and old messages send  "help" to the same
address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:38:29 +0000

I will respond on list so that I can clear up any misconception I may have
created. You do not have to have any special support contract, just a plain
old support contract with one of the third party 3Com approved providers. If
you have specific questions on the results of the upgrade other than the
v.92 issue (I am under a beta agreement and can't divulge anything you could
otherwise guess on your own) let me know and I will answer them offline. The
main thing for us is the upgrade gave us better customer service without the
cost of replacing our equipment. No trade-in program came close, but that is
because we already had most of the required equipment. If you don't you have
different issues to consider.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Taylor" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 5:29 PM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT? (that
is in their right mind)

-

---

From: Ed Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:46:08 +0000

We have all the required equipment... 

Can you email me offlist and explain the details?

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 6:37 PM

I will respond on list so that I can clear up any misconception I may
have created. You do not have to have any special support contract, just
a plain old support contract with one of the third party 3Com approved
providers. If you have specific questions on the results of the upgrade
other than the v.92 issue (I am under a beta agreement and can't divulge
anything you could otherwise guess on your own) let me know and I will
answer them offline. The main thing for us is the upgrade gave us better
customer service without the cost of replacing our equipment. No
trade-in program came close, but that is because we already had most of
the required equipment. If you don't you have different issues to
consider.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Taylor" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 5:29 PM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT?

> Sorry, I do not wish to make this into a lengthy 3com s*cks thread... 
> So if someone could explain to me offlist I would appreciate the 
> assistance. Anyone...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Edgar D. Taylor
> President/CEO
> FIRST USA Inc.
> Voice: (800)716-6190
> Email: [email-masked]
> Web: www.1st.net
> --
>
> Yes, we paid for the support contract upgrade. We already had the 
> other components except for the nmc. It has helped on its own seperate

> from the v.92 question. Even though v.92 isn't working completely yet 
> with any vendor, Patton included, we found the improvement in 
> connections for our customers and tech support to be worth the 
> investment. Others will likely have a different opinion, but they 
> probably believe in free internet accounts as well.
>
> Mark Thornton
> San Marcos Internet, Inc
> 512-393-5300
>
>

-

-

---

From: Lance Eves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:07:43 +0000

We haven't upgraded yet, but we did pay for the contract and always
have.  The few times that I've needed support, the techs that I talked
to were very helpful and when equipment was bad it was taken care of.
Right now we have a software only contract, because that is all we need
at the moment.  I upgraded to the TCS 4.3 level and it has improved a
few things.  When we've given the V.92 code a chance to make sure that
it works, we'll upgrade.

Lance Eves
KanOkla Communications

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ed Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT? (that
is in their right mind)

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:46:34 +0000

Thomas and others are working on getting US ALL an answer to this ASAP - I
for one am confident that someone of intelligence will correct the
"oversight" and have something that will work around the RAM upgradeable,
FLASH not upgradeable issue and the new code requirements of a 128M/16M ARC.

Crossing fingers and toes ...

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Andrews" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92

> > Competitive Trade In
http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_Competitive_Trad
e-In/
> > NMC Card Trade In
http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_v.92_upgradepack
/

-

---

From: Ed Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:15:44 +0000

Are you new to the list? 3com helpful? Since when? 

I haven't heard from a support rep in years... literally... ever since
they promised us a bunch of things such as Palm Pilots and some free
upgrades... which we NEVER received.

We have over 3000 ports in Hiper 3com equipment... you would think they
would care a little more.

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lance Eves
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 11:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92... IS ANYONE BUYING IT?
(that is in their right mind)

Lance Eves
KanOkla Communications

-----Original Message-----

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-

-

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:13:02 +0000

Also sprach Ed Taylor
>Are you new to the list? 3com helpful? Since when? 

Well, Tom (I assume Marshall was referring to Tom Goodman here) has
always at least attempted to be helpful...even if he's been hamstrung by
the company.  I have nothing but good to say about Tom.  My main hope at
this point is that his job doesn't disappear out from under him.
We'll just say, I don't have much confidence in 3Com as a long-term
investment opportunity.  ;)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:53:17 +0000

Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that neither the ARC nor NMC
upgrades are actually NECESSARY to get V.92 functionality.  I've run my
ARCs many revs behind my DSPs in the past with no problems.  I'm also
guessing that if you don't have the HiPerNMC you lose the ability to play
with v.92 configs, but not much else.  Unless the bastards have the DSP
check NMC hardware/software rev as a "key" to enable the feature...

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:40:03 +0000

>http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_v.92_upgradepack/

Why the requirement to purchase a DSP in addition to the HiPer NMC?

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000   http://www.keyconn.net

---

From: Lance Eves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:16:09 +0000

Sorry, I've only been on the list for about 3-4 years and I haven't
heard from a support rep that entire time unless I called one.  Are the
support reps supposed to call and bother you when you don't need help?
I have had to call support 3 times during that time period.  Two of
those was for a piece of equipment that went bad and needed to be sent
back for repair.  The other was for a configuration question at 10PM one
evening.  I was never promised toys or free stuff and only have about
1500 ports, but have been very pleased with the equipment.  I guess it
all depends on where you're coming from.  For me if the equipment works,
that's all I need.  I do all my own support and support for some others
and the primary reason for me to carry a support contract is the
software upgrades.  Just my opinion.

Lance Eves

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 2:14 AM

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-----Original Message-----

Lance Eves
KanOkla Communications

-----Original Message-----

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-

-

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:39:04 +0000

how do you run 1500 ports off a company thats only been allocated a /22?
Aside from that, I wouldn't generalize number of ports on this list,
because you may bet that wench "mary" trying to hold you to 1500 ports,
when you really only have a few hundred.

I can hear it now "Don't tell me you only have 250 ports, I saw you post
on usr-tc!" eeek!

Brian

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Lance Eves wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>

-----------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	   e: [email-masked]
Network Engineer	   p: 318.222.2638x109
ShreveNet Inc.		   f: 318.221.6612