Subject: Re: (usr-tc) chat_script synta

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:21:09 +0000

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Tatai SV Krishnan wrote:

> The default password on the nmc is your community  strings which is 
> public/private
> 
> Now if you NMC is in a dead state you need to do the old pcsdl to the nmc 
> to get it back.

Our strings were set, we never leave them at the defaults.

It looks like the NMC is dead, just stays in the SDL state with the green RN/FL
flashing and no other lights.

I don't think the PC SDL will even begin to talk to it....

I don't know what versions the -n and -v options want put in, nothing is
explained and nothing works.

pcsdl -p2 -r57600 -vSD6.0.9 -vNA3.2.0 -nSDnm -nNAnm
                             ^ I don't know what version it means by Operation
Code Version, what exactly is Operation Code? Is tha existing code or the sdl
file version and if it is the sdl version file how do you find the version, the
file is named nm030200.sdl and there is no mention of it anywhere else.

None of this is explained in the pdf files and I have found no reference in the
only searchable list archiev available.

Why is this all so cryptic and why is it not explained anywhere in available
documentation. I have been reading PDF files for three days and have not once
seen a pcsdl explanation other than just do it.

Is it part of the pay us tech support money mentality to be able to do simple
things?

This is maddening and it just seems to get worse, now our HARC TC is totally
unusable.

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
[email-masked]         net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network
http://www.bluemoon.net   mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD
bbs.bluemoon.net          irc.bluemoon.net - ZUHnet Buffalo, NY IRC Server

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:32:11 +0000

>                              ^ I don't know what version it means by Operation

Well na is for the nac file and sd is for the sdl file.  you can download 
them from the web.  You have access to those.  The nac file is the file 
which has a .nac extention so a nmc file will be something like

ne040234.nac  the sd file is the sdl file or the file with .sdl extention.

Every manual of USR/3com has this info.  Its new to you for you never 
dealt with anything other than comos.  

Download the manaul and read on pcsdl it will explain the same to you.

krish

-

---

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:32:29 +0000

> pcsdl -p2 -r57600 -vSD6.0.9 -vNA3.2.0 -nSDnm -nNAnm

                  OK looks like those were backwards.

pcsdl -p2 -r57600 -vSD3.2.0 -vNA6.0.9 -nSDnm -nNAnm

That worked, but it just replied

**Error** File I/O ERROR

which I knew it would. 

Just a stuck in SDL mode 16MB 486 NMC card with the RN/FL flashing green
forever and no way to get it out of that mode.

Will DIP switches 7 through 10 allow some sort of reset to take place? DIP 5
doesn't do anything different up or down operational or with pcsdl.

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:36:15 +0000

> That worked, but it just replied

I/O Error is an error between your pc and serial port.  PUt the dip 
switch 5 and 6 in 'on' position on the nmc - as soon as you put the card 
in do not wait for it to boot, just start the pcsdl download.

krish

-

---

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:55:02 +0000

OK I seem to have managed to get it to pcsdl the proper code to the NMC. It
appears I was trying to put the wrong firmware on it initially and TCM was
happy to do it, but pcsdl wasn't.

I have been studying this thing for about 60 hours now and I still feel like a
complete and total out of control idiot.

-