Subject: (usr-tc) Connect Speed issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 00:24:53 +0000

Folks,

I know this issue has been belabored numerous times but I thought I'd 
kick the dead horse one more time.  Recently we have had 3 customers 
with HSP modems either leave or threaten to leave due to them being able 
to connect to other ISPs at higher speeds.  As a last resort on two of 
them we replaced their modems with 3Com modems and they stayed.  Here is 
what we saw:

                HSP             3Com

Cust 1          26400           37333
Cust 2          29333           41666

In both cases all that was changed is the modem.  As expected the 
connections got more stable too (i.e. less disconnects).  In the case of 
the third customer he won't replace his modem but swears he gets 40K 
connections with other ISPs.  I tend to believe him and we will probably 
lose him.  In all cases when we looked at the analog stats, all we saw 
was a slight rolloff at 3750 but everything else looked good. With the 
HSP and other el cheapo' modems now shipping as standard issue on the 
low end machines, including the dreaded E-Machines, I suspect this 
problem is going to get worse not better unless 3Com can help us here.  
I am running the latest Quad code and 2.0.51 DSP code.   

Jeff

CMPQwk 1.42-21 9999

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:26:00 +0000

3Com has long had interoperability issues.

Giving away modems is not good fort he bottom line.  You may want to get
an ascend rack and have 'troublesome' modems call that box.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Ed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:40:27 +0000

It's sad but true... we have seen repeatedly that Ascend has less problems.

Too bad 3com thinks things are better now because their is less noise about
it. However nothing is further from the truth... people are just giving up.
They just will not listen ;-( So instead of the frustration more and more
people are switching to Ascend... sooner or later it will hit 3com's bottom
line and they might wake up. Until then the solution is Ascend.

Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Farber" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Connect Speed issues

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:42:43 +0000

I second the 3Com compatibility issue problem.

In rare cases, I've sold (not given) customers with chronic connect problems a
USR modem.  I'll sell it below cost (about $100) provided that they pay for a
year of service in advance.  That way, I'm reasonably assured that they're not
going to take my modem and bug out anyway.

It's cheaper in the long run to give away a few modems than to buy, say, an
Ascend box (and it's corresponding PRI or CT1).  It can't be part of my
existing trunk group, so I would need to populate it with more than just the
troublesome customers in order to make it financially worthwhile.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Ed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:48:58 +0000

Why make 3com more money though? If they will not fix the issues don't send
more money their way by giving customers 3com client modems... which even
then don't always fix the problem. We see Ascend connect better with 3com
all the time than 3com to 3com.

Don't get me wrong I want 3com to be the best however we are losing faith
fast...

Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Connect Speed issues

In rare cases, I've sold (not given) customers with chronic connect problems
a
USR modem.  I'll sell it below cost (about $100) provided that they pay for
a
year of service in advance.  That way, I'm reasonably assured that they're
not
going to take my modem and bug out anyway.

-

-

---

From: mft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:35:50 +0000

Hi All,

TCH - quad, digital and analog card w/ Netserver and MMC

In the TCM GUI -> Configure -> Action/Command

Select "Hardware" and "Hardware Reset" for Command to Excute.

Question: If I do "Execute" from the above,  will that action 
delete all the existing Netserver card's setup information. ?

My intention is to be able to Remote Reboot the TCH thru the
TCM GUI, but not reset the TCH to its manufacture default state.

Thanks in adv for any help that you may post here.

Sincerely yours

Meng
[email-masked]

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:21:52 +0000

I'm very disappointed. I asked onthis list for feedback concerning the use
of Ascend or Lucent as a method to resolve difficult connect issues, and the
response was 4:1 against, coming from people who had tried and saw worse
results. Now there are those claiming not only will it resolve the problem,
but the connections are better accross the board? Why are any of us running
3Com then? Where were these folks two weeks ago?

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Connect Speed issues

-

---

From: Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 11:07:13 +0000

> line and they might wake up.

One of the reasons I'm considering changing platforms rather than
upgrading our legacy USR gear to HiPer equipment.  In nearly all cases
giving the client the latest code has worked for us, but I hear that HiPer
gear has way more issues than the quads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Purdon,                          Ground Floor, Marine Board Building
Technical Manager (Tas/Vic),                  1 Franklin Wharf, Tas 7000
Southern Internet Services.                            +61 (3) 6234 7444

-