Subject: [USR-TC] Backup Backhaul over MLPPP help request.

From: Adam Barnhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:43:01 +0000

I need any and all information available for the following type of
situation.

Problem - Wcity has just lost it's backhaul. 

Desired Result - Monitoring software detects that the backhaul is dead
and dials into Wcity's CLI. Executes commands to start process of
creating backup backhaul. 
It does this by utilizing 4 modems and nailing up a connection to a
larger pop (Zcity). This should be a MLPPP connection. Wcity then
directs traffic across this link and through the Zcity backhaul. Both
locations use Channelized T1s not PRIs.

Since it is unlikely that any one person will have the answers to the
whole problem, please help me by contributing any information or links
you have regarding these things:

Establishing MLPPP LAN-LAN Connections
Dialout user/network service setup for such connections.
Routing Wcity traffic across such a link
On-Demand Routing (Might nail LAN-LAN connections, and default routing?)

Found this in a post, but I can't find anything about on-demand routing
anywhere else.

"You *might* find it easier to use the on-demand routing in the Arc to
make the calls. The Arc can look in the user's table for users that can
dial to a remote gateway on-demand...it can use this as a default route
as well I believe. Alternatively, you could run RIPv2 over this
connection from your NETServer and even get dynamic routing on it...or
inject default into your RIPv2 cloud and let RIPv2 handle the default."
See
http://mailman.xmission.com/pipermail/usr-tc/2001-September/004707.html

I also tried to figure out how to do it using netserver documentation
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netmaint/TC/PDFDOCS/NETSERVR/NETFRAME.PDF
 
Initially I expected to simply add a second Default route that wouldn't
be used until the main route was down. 
Assign a modem group for those 4 modems used in the MLPPP connect.
Create a user with dialout,network privileges
Create a network service for dialout 
Use the command dial [user] to start the process of the LAN-LAN
connection.
And of course have changes made to the Cisco routers to make sure they
could hit the outside world.

However, I seem to be wrong. I haven't been able to nail a connection to
Zcity pop, much less route traffic across the link.
I know the T1s are two-way and when I attempt to dial the user it goes
off hook, but nothing comes of it.

Let me know if you have any ideas, or know what I'm doing wrong.

This is what I am trying currently: HiperARC 4.2.32 or Newer
Client side (caller)
Add modem_group <modem_group> interface slot:1/mod:[21-24]
add user <username> password <userpass> type dialout,network
set network user <username> netWORK_SERVICE ppp 
set network user <username> IP remotE_IP_ADDRESS <IP address of
designated user IP on Host ARC> defaulT_ROUTE_OPTION enable  (This
should force all Wcity pop traffic over to the designated IP once
connected.)
set network user <username> ppp Max_CHANNELS 4
set network user <username> senD_PASSWORD <userpass>
set network user <username> ppp channel_deCREMENT 20  (decrease modem
usage when not needed, at least 20% is required to maintain the
channel.)
set user <username> modem_group <modem_group>
set user <username> phone_number <Zcity dialin number>

Host side (called)
add user <username> password <userpass> type network
set network user <username> netWORK_SERVICE ppp (Should be treated just
like the default user)
add framed_ROUTE user <username> gateWAY <ARC IP> ip_ROUTE <designated
user IP>metriC 1 (hopefully routes all Wcity traffic to the ARC and
beyond)
set user <username> idLE_TIMEOUT 1200 
set user <username> session_TIMEOUT 0

To start the session someone must dialup to the Wcity CLI and issue a 
Enable user <username>
dial <username>
To end the session someone must access the Wcity CLI and issue a 
Disable user <username>
Reset modem_group <modem_group>

Thanks in advance,

-- 
Adam Barnhill
Support Engineer, TotallyFabricated.com
Information Technology Engineer, Poplar Bluff Internet, Inc. / Semo.net
P.O. Box 190 | Poplar Bluff, MO 63902 | 573.686.9114,
<http://www.semo.net/>
	Home of TotallyFabricated.com the creators of Total Scrutinizer