Subject: (usr-tc) Default routes disappearing

From: Mike McHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 02:25:53 +0000

For the last several days I have been having a problem with my default
route just disappearing from my HARC card. This card has been running
4.2.32-1 for several weeks now without too many problems.

Several times a day my default route just disappears. I have manually
specified a default route on each HARC using set ip default_route gateway
192.168.0.1

This problem is EXTREMELY annoying as it is happening to all of my USR
chassis. The only way to recover from it is a complete reboot of the HARC
card. If I try to manually add the default route back to the HARC I get
the error message that the network is not directly connected. (Which it
is...)

Has anyone else run into this or do I chalk it up as yet another bug? The
chassis is otherwise normal, all the routes are still shown if I do a show
ip routes EXCEPT the default route! This is getting extremely frustrating
for me, I have at least one serious problem with my USR TC chassis every
couple of months and I am really getting tired of it. Any suggestions
would be appreciated, thanks!

Mike McHenry
 Systems Administrator
 MinnNet Communications, Inc. 

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:37:17 +0000

Are you running OSPF at all on those arcs?

> specified a default route on each HARC using set ip default_route gateway

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Mike McHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:05:18 +0000

Yes, we are running OSPF on all the chassis. I forgot that important piece
of information :) However, they have been running relatively well for the
last several weeks with it.

Mike McHenry
 Systems Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Brian
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 8:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Default routes disappearing

-

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:27:13 +0000

> last several weeks with it.

I'm just wondering if OSPF is removing your default route. I have heard
other complaints on this list of OSPF messing with static default
routes......................

Brian

-

---

From: Mike McHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:44:44 +0000

Well, originally I had been thinking along those lines so I disabled the
advertisement of the default route on all my routers. I also thought it
might be a dialup user with a crazy entry in radius but that is a no-go too.
If anyone at 3com is interested in taking a look I have a chassis that is
doing it right now although I am going to have to bring it back online by
tonight.

I have pruned my OSPF tables down, there are only about 150 table entries so
it is not (or should not) be a problem with the OSPF tables getting to big.
I have just disabled the iea_next_hop_routing as that is the only other
thing that comes to mind that would possibly cause problems.

When this happens I am even unable to readd the route which really leads me
to believe this is a bug of some kind. The eth:1 interface is directly on
the same class C as the gateway address and attempts to manually readd the
default route fail...hmmm odd, I just tried to manually readd the route for
a screen shot and it worked. Maybe the iea_next_hop_routing setting I just
fiddled with changed something.

I will keep everyone informed if I have a problem again or not, thanks for
the suggestions...

Mike McHenry
 Systems Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Brian
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 10:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Default routes disappearing

Brian

-

-