Subject: (usr-tc) HiPer DSP & Quads in one chassis, plus MRTG question

From: USRobotics TC Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:12:07 +0000

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can quickly answer.

The first group is, I have a TC chassis with 4 HiPer DSP's and one 70 AMP
PS.  I would like to put an additional 2 DSP's in this chassis.  Will the
one PS do the trick, or do I have to install another PS?

How many DSP's can I run off of two 70 AMP PS?

At what point do I have to switch the PS's to 130's?

The second group of questions is, I have a TC chassis, NSC card with 8 MB
DRAM and 2 MB Flash, NMC 4 MB DRAM and 2MB Flash,  12 A/D Quad's running in
Analog mode, no V.90 license and two 45 AMP PS's.  I want to add one HiPer
DSP.

Will the DSP be able to answer V.90 calls without the V.90 license
installed?

Do I have enough memory in the NMC and NSC to be able to handle the Quad's
and DSP?

Can someone tell me where the list archive is?

I'm also looking for MRTG scripts that will work with the TC's, can someone
point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 23:43:50 +0000

> How many DSP's can I run off of two 70 AMP PS?

I have a rack running 6 DSP's, 6 Quads, one Dual PRI (for the Quads), an
ARC and an NMC (leaving two slots empty) all on a *single* 70 amp PS.
No apparent problems.

Source Technology is selling 70 amp PS's for $300 this month, so I put a
second one in that rack yesterday just for the hell of it. :)

The whole thing on one power supply was pulling less than 4 amps at 120
volts.  (The power supply rating is for DC amps, but I don't know if 
that's 12 volts or 5 volts or some of each.)

> At what point do I have to switch the PS's to 130's?

Don't know.

> Will the DSP be able to answer V.90 calls without the V.90 license

Yes, the DSP doesn't need the feature key on the NMC... it's standard
equipment.  Only the Quads look at the feature key.

> Do I have enough memory in the NMC and NSC to be able to handle the Quad's

NMC needs to be 16 meg RAM and 8 meg flash to handle a HiPer DSP or a
HiPer ARC or a HiPer anything-at-all.

I don't know about the NETserver -- the flash seems like it might be
little anemic to handle the software release the DSP will need to
function.  The CPU is definitely too anemic to handle a full load of Quads
and DSP's both -- I hope you don't have any users playing Quake or they
will lynch you if you don't replace it with an ARC :)

> Can someone tell me where the list archive is?

ftp://ftp.xmission.com/pub/lists/usr-tc is one copy I've been mirroring
locally for myself, but there's an HTML version or two that I can't
remember offhand...

> point me in the right direction?

http://www.dcr.net/~mandrews/usrtoys/

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

-

---

From: Brian Burgmeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 23:48:33 +0000

> Micah,

here's how we can tye mrtg to the total control chassis -Brian

-