Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Routing a subnet to a dial-up

From: FIRST NOC TC Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:27:18 +0000

Kirk,

destination gateway metric

22.33.44.224/28  55.66.77.198  1

Of course I would also manually put the static IP in 'IP Address' 
field.

Might want to set RIP routing too - but you said that you have a 
static route in your gateway router so there wouldn't be any need 
for RIP.  But you'd set this route to be RIPd in the same section 
if you were going to depend upon TC RIP broadcasts to dump routes 
into your gateway router.

Mike Tindor
FIRST Internet

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:06:10 -0500

>At 05:21 PM 3/27/02 -0500, Jeff Mcadams wrote:
>>Also sprach Kirk Mitchell
>>>I have a customer with a static IP address and a public IP /28 
behind
>>>his ISDN router. My gateway router is sending traffic for his 
subnet to
>>>the ARC, but the ARC isn't accepting it and sending it down the 
dial-up
>>>connection. What for routing do I need to have set up in the 
ARC to do
>>>this?
>>
>>Add a "Framed-Route" attribute in the user's RADIUS profile.
>
>  I'm not sure how to do this with USR's S&A Server. The Routing 
section of
>Radius wants destination1, gateway1, etc. I'm used to thinking of 
routing
>in terms of Cisco'ese and not sure how that translates to what I 
need to
>enter here. Also, to make sure I explained things properly, the 
customer's
>static IP and his subnet are from different blocks...
>static IP is 55.66.77.198
>subnet is  22.33.44.224/28
>I need something the equivalent of
>ip route 22.33.44.224 255.255.255.240 55.66.77.198
>
>Thanks,
>
>-- 
>Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
>Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
>Altoona, PA  814-941-5000   http://www.keyconn.net
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>USR-TC mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>

________________________________________________________________
 1st.net

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:01:17 +0000

>destination gateway metric

That did it, thanks.

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 19:57:03 +0000

With the new PRI's we're on, another problem is cropping up. Before, on a
DSW100, we could soft-busy hung modems without affecting the other slots in
the card. Now, soft-busying any modems throws the whole PRI into fast
busies. We're told this is because the switch(NI2) doesn't accept service
messages. Should we change to hard-busying hung modems? What's the difference?

Thanks,

---

From: Sean Skogen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:17:18 +0000

If you have NI2 then you can't busy out channels. You need service
messaging. Older versions of the HDSP software did a 'pretend' busy-out
that worked even on NI2. Newer versions of software on the HDSP do busy out
right by sending a service message.

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:25:19 +0000

>right by sending a service message.

  What do I need to do then to get this pretend busy? I have a combination
of 2.0.51 & 2.0.81 on DSPs and 4.2.32 ARC.

Thanks,

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:12:47 +0000

Kirk-

On my 2051 cards, I could not get busy-out to work no matter what I did
when I had NI2 PRI's. Swithced to 5ESSCustom, now it works like a charm.

--
Scot

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kirk Mitchell
> Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 3:25 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [USR-TC] More NI2 issues
> 
>

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 22:06:36 +0000

>when I had NI2 PRI's. Swithced to 5ESSCustom, now it works like a charm.

  5ESS is an option in the truck settings, but there's no 5ESSCustom there.
>From what I understand, it's a 5ESS switch that I'm on, but the provider
told me that NI2 would be a better setting.

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:23:03 +0000

Sorry, the specific setting is PriSw5ESS (but when I talked to my PRI
provider, they could only set it one of 2 ways -- 5ESSCustom, and NI2 -
so I assume 3COM's 5ESS is 'custom'). 

My trunktype is E&M Type II

Also, the only cause code that I could get to work with my PRI vendor is
cause code 58. This allows me to return busy signals to the switch on
all trunks full, or when channels are busied out. I played with all of
the other possible settings that 3COM lists, and every single one would
cause the switch to return an intercept like "all circuits busy", or
"call cannot be completed as dialed". While they all have the same
result, to the end user, they understand BUSY - they don't understand
intercept messages. 

Generally speaking, NI2 is usually preferable in the PRI provider's eyes
as it offers a bit more for 2-way PRI users (folks who use it for DID,
DOD and call-by-call service). But since we don't use PRI's that way,
we'd much rather have service messaging capabilities.

Of course, your PRI vendor may play nicer with the DSP, so your mileage
may vary ;-/

--
Scot

> Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 5:07 PM
> Subject: RE: [USR-TC] More NI2 issues
> 
>

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:51:03 +0000

Also sprach Scot Desort
>so I assume 3COM's 5ESS is 'custom'). 

Yes, 3Com's PriSw5ESS is for Custom 5ESS.

>My trunktype is E&M Type II

Which has nothing to do with PRI's, and probably isn't even referenced
in MessageOriented (or PRI) mode.  E&M is, at best, a channelized T1
type of setup.  (To get technical, E&M is emulated over a channelized T1
running a robbed-bit type of setup.  E&M is actually a specification for
an analog trunk type)

For more about these topics, I would recommend the book (by Cisco Press)
_Integrating Voice and Data Networks_.  The book is intended as a
primer/overview of the process of implementing Voice over IP and moving
towards a converged network setup...but in the process of getting there,
there is actually a pretty good set of chapters that give a lot of
background info on voice networks and the different types of
technologies.

>Also, the only cause code that I could get to work with my PRI vendor
>is cause code 58. This allows me to return busy signals to the switch
>on all trunks full, or when channels are busied out.

When all trunks are full, its highly unlikely that your PRI provider is
even sending a SETUP message to your system to even give a cause code in
response.  The switch will just look at the trunk group, see that there
are no free bearer channels and send back its own cause code, typically
an all circuits busy which will result in some sort of message to the
user, or more likely, a fast busy signal.  It might be possible to get
an additional call appearence (its possible for BRI's, don't know if the
trunk-side setup of PRI's allows this), where you could get a SETUP
message even if all of the bearer channels are full...this would allow
you to send back a tailored cause code when your B channels are all
full.  I've never explored this possibility with a telco, so I don't
know if this is feasible on PRI's (let alone any specific translation
type).

>I played with all of the other possible settings that 3COM lists, and
>every single one would cause the switch to return an intercept like
>"all circuits busy", or "call cannot be completed as dialed". While
>they all have the same result, to the end user, they understand BUSY -
>they don't understand intercept messages. 

Try #17, this is "user busy" which should generate a normal busy signal.

>Generally speaking, NI2 is usually preferable in the PRI provider's
>eyes as it offers a bit more for 2-way PRI users (folks who use it for
>DID, DOD and call-by-call service). But since we don't use PRI's that
>way, we'd much rather have service messaging capabilities.

Custom5ESS provides all of those features...the reason most PRI
providers prefer NI-2 is that its easier for them to set up because its
a standard setting...they choose NI-2 and its done...with a custom
setup, they have to go in and set all sorts of parameters and stuff (at
least potentially) to tailor the exact config.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:36:46 +0000

> Try #17, this is "user busy" which should generate a normal busy signal.

Nope, the only cause code that would generate a true busy signal on my
CLEC's switch is cause code 58. 17 was the first one I tried.

--
Scot

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:51:31 +0000

Also sprach Scot Desort

>CLEC's switch is cause code 58. 17 was the first one I tried.

That's *weird*!  :)

---

From: Sean Skogen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:29:03 +0000

We were able to do a soft-busy using NI-2 when our HDSP code was 2.0.60 and
older -- our Telco didn't like it, though, because what they saw was 'high
and wet', I think. It was when we went to 2.1.9 (which fixed the soft
busy-out) that we started getting total busy when a single line was set to
local out of service. 

Since you are already running the TCS 3.6, it looks like a different
situation than we had.

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 05:37:26 +0000

>Since you are already running the TCS 3.6, it looks like a different

Problem is, I can't afford to buy a support contract just to upgrade my
DSPs to 2.1.9

---

From: Mohammed Salam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:12:22 +0000

Hi all:

We are having TCS with HiperArc and V.34 quad analog/digital modems being
used with analog lines (POTS). Almost every morning we have to reset some of
the ports via the HiperArc. I was wondering if this could be done through
software. Perhaps a perl/shell script which uses the UCSD snmp programs to
get the status and reset if necessary. However, I am completely new to SNMP
and was hoping some one in this group would know which OID values to check
and reset.

Thanks.

Mohammed Salam
[email-masked]