Subject: (usr-tc) Dedicated IP pools

From: Cheryl Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 22:38:58 +0000

hello usr list fans...I got another project I am not sure how to set up. I am trying to set up a dedicated <private> pool for only specific users to use for a somewhat called dedicated modem. Now the problem is I set up two different pools one for public and one for private but only the public and be accessed. Using a T1, how do you set this up? 

Any ideas, please reply.

Thanks,
-C

---

From: James Sewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 00:07:45 +0000

Two ways to do it:

Set your users up in a RADIUS server.  For those users who need to get
an address in the private pool, set RADIUS attribute #217
"Framed-IP-Addr-Pool-Name" to the name of the private pool.  Any
existing users who do not have anything set for this parameter will
continue to get an address from the original public pool.  This would
also explain why you are currently only seeing the public pool being
used.

The second way is to confugure the user accounts directly on the HiPer
ARC.  It's more cumbersome to manage a user database directly on the
card, but if it's only s few users, it might be easier to make the
change here than in your RADIUS database.  Add the user account and set
any other desired parameters as usual, then to set the private IP pool
use this command:

add address_pool user <user_name> pool_name <pool_name>

-James

> Cheryl Johnson wrote:
> 
> hello usr list fans...I got another project I am not sure how to set
> up. I am trying to set up a dedicated <private> pool for only specific
> users to use for a somewhat called dedicated modem. Now the problem is
> I set up two different pools one for public and one for private but
> only the public and be accessed. Using a T1, how do you set this up?
> 
> Any ideas, please reply.
> 
> Thanks,
> -C

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Cheryl Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 09:13:19 -0500

Ok, configuring this through the ARC works quite well at least for a limited
number of users. This doesn't actually set a specific modem to the dedicated
user. I am trying to pull a modem...say <slot:15:/mod:[24}> out of the
available pool on the DSP card and set this up for a modem_group named
<dedicated> so this modem can only be used by a specific user and not the
entire public pool. Although I haven't found the command set to do this yet,
but think I am heading in the right direction. Theoretically, yes the modem
should always have a modem to connect to if you set the public ip_pool
<whatever> number less on the available number of modems, but this is not a
true dedicated modem because the user may not always get the same modem.
This would more helpful in troubleshooting, if problems arise for a
dedicated user.

Cheryl

----- Original Message -----
From: James Sewell <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Dedicated IP pools

-