Subject: (usr-tc) Re: multilink over multi-chassis'

From: Steve Monkhouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:25:27 +0000

Thanks for the info mike.. 

One thing i obviously omitted to mention then.. 

what if both chassis' run Netservers and not ARC's...??

Steve 

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 06:51:05 +0000

Also sprach Steve Monkhouse

>what if both chassis' run Netservers and not ARC's...??

NETServers run a horribly broken version of MPIP, so you can, with
fairly low reliability, get the same effect with NETServers.  I don't
recall the commands to configure it (having, thankfully, not dealt with
NETServers in several years now), but they aren't complex and should be
in user manuals.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:18:57 +0000

Yeah, when we were on the NetServers it worked most of the time, sorta. The
users who needed it knew to expect the problem and would disconnect and
reconnect until they got a solid mutlilink connection. When it worked it
worked well for the duration of the session, or so I remember. You just
couldn't depend on it being 'first time, every time'.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Re: multilink over multi-chassis'

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:34:51 +0000

Also sprach Mark Thornton
>Yeah, when we were on the NetServers it worked most of the time, sorta.
>The users who needed it knew to expect the problem and would disconnect
>and reconnect until they got a solid mutlilink connection. When it
>worked it worked well for the duration of the session, or so I
>remember. You just couldn't depend on it being 'first time, every
>time'.

Yeah...they basically had to reconnect to the NETServer that had their
previous multi-link connection.  Which means that, as you hunt group
gets bigger, the problem gets worse.  Fun, that.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:00:26 +0000

That is pretty much what I suspected was happening, but I never proved it.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Re: multilink over multi-chassis'

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:08:40 +0000

>That is pretty much what I suspected was happening, but I never proved

You can probably go back in the archives (usr-tc.1st.net still have
them?) and find some really thorough dissections of the problem that I
posted in the past.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Steve Monkhouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:07:24 +0000

Well Ive hunted through all the doc's and found references to setting up
mpipserver and clients.. So Ive done all that and will give it another go
now..

Thanks all...

(The ARC info will definately come in handy shortly Im guessing )... (-:

Steve

-