Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Enterprise Network Hub

From: Steve Valiunas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:35:22 +0000

The NMC can be queried to tell you the reason for the Hub-Status light
being red-  It's under Performance Monitor / FuncGroup=FailureReasons /
Parm=HubStatusRed.  This is available on TCS3.5 and later codes (nmc ver 6.x.x).
It might be a high temperature,  a card being reset, some kind of non-critical
failure on the NMC, a bad PSU...
     The oldstyle chassis with the fan in the back has a sensor for the single
fan, and the newer-style chassis with the built-in fan tray will report failures
for the tray.  You probably won't get anything for the older add-on fan tray
though.

Steve valiunas

Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]> on 01/04/2000 06:59:42 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (Steve Valiunas/MW/US/3Com)
Subject:  Re: (usr-tc) Total Control Enterprise Network Hub

Thus spake Stephen Amadei
>On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Jeff Mcadams wrote:
>> Walk the uchasPowerSupplyTable for information about the power supplies,
>> and, unfortunately, it seems that there is no OID to find out about fan
>> failures...3Com, is there a possibility that this can be added?
>> Obviously, they are instrumented as you can get traps on fan failures
>> and auto-response scripts for fan failures...

>Aren't the fans in the fantray two wire?  I don't think two wire fans
>can be tested for failure, like the new three wire PC chassis and CPU
>fans.

Dunno...haven't checked that closely...but I do know that there is a
trap enable for fan failures, as well as an auto-response script, so I'm
pretty sure they are instrumented.  I'll pull a fan tray to see if I can
tell if I think about it today.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:55:29 +0000

Thus spake Steve Valiunas
>      The NMC can be queried to tell you the reason for the Hub-Status
>light being red-  It's under Performance Monitor /
>FuncGroup=FailureReasons / Parm=HubStatusRed.  This is available on
>TCS3.5 and later codes (nmc ver 6.x.x).  It might be a high
>temperature,  a card being reset, some kind of non-critical failure on
>the NMC, a bad PSU...

What's the actual SNMP OID for this?  I think I remember seeing it
somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

Aha!  Just found it.  In the NMC-MIB, nmcStatRedLed

nmcStatRedLed OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX INTEGER{
  none(1),
  chassisTemperatureHigh(2),
  chassisFanFailure(3),
  voltageWarningforPSU(4),
  failureofPSU(5),
  managementBusFailure(6),
  interfaceCardFailure(7),
  incompatibleTokenRingNIC(8)
}
ACCESS read-only
STATUS optional
DESCRIPTION
"This Object will return the Reason why the Hub Status LED is RED."
::= { nmcStat 12 }

>     The oldstyle chassis with the fan in the back has a sensor for the
>single fan, and the newer-style chassis with the built-in fan tray will
>report failures for the tray.  You probably won't get anything for the
>older add-on fan tray though.

Well...considering the older style add-on tray didn't have any
connection whatsoever to the chassis, that makes sense.  ;)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-