Subject: (usr-tc) dead connection

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 03:52:12 +0000

I'm having problems with a user who's connection doesn't seem to be
working. He's logging on fine, but unable to get anywhere once connected.
I've gone over all of his settings to no avail and, thinking possible
TCP/IP corruption, reinstalled that. It did appear to change his traffic
somewhat, but still no success getting anywhere. He's running an old
Gateway with a 28.8 modem, running ARC 4.2.32 and DSP 0.49hw/2.0.81sw here.
Here's the relevant ppp traces;

Before reinstalling TCP/IP:
Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    80 21 01 03 00 1c 02 06 00 2d 0f 00 03 06 cc ab | !       -      |
    1f a3 81 06 cc ab 1f 04 83 06 cc ab 1f 05       |                |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    80 21 02 03 00 1c 02 06 00 2d 0f 00 03 06 cc ab | !       -      |
    1f a3 81 06 cc ab 1f 04 83 06 cc ab 1f 05       |                |

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    21 45 00 00 60 1b 00 00 00 20 11 a6 94 cc ab 1f |!E  `           |
    a3 cc ab 1f ff 00 89 00 89 00 4c 65 66 00 07 29 |          Lef  )|
    10 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 01 20 45 48 45 42 46 45 |          EHEBFE|
    45 46 46 48 45 42 46 4a 43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 |EFFHEBFJCACACACA|
    43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 41 41 00 00 20 00 01 c0 |CACACACAAA      |
    0c 00 20 00 01 00 04 93 e0 00 06 00 00 cc ab 1f |                |
    a3                                              |                |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    21 45 00 00 38 ab ad 00 00 ff 01 37 1e cc ab 1f |!E  8      7    |
    ff cc ab 1f a3 03 03 96 38 00 00 00 00 45 00 00 |        8    E  |
    60 1b 00 00 00 20 11 a6 94 cc ab 1f a3 cc ab 1f |`               |
    ff 00 89 00 89 00 4c 65 66                      |      Lef       |

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    21 45 00 00 60 1c 00 00 00 20 11 a5 94 cc ab 1f |!E  `           |
    a3 cc ab 1f ff 00 89 00 89 00 4c 05 72 00 08 29 |          L r  )|
    10 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 01 20 44 43 44 41 44 41 |          DCDADA|
    44 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 |DACACACACACACACA|
    43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 41 41 00 00 20 00 01 c0 |CACACACAAA      |
    0c 00 20 00 01 00 04 93 e0 00 06 80 00 cc ab 1f |                |
    a3                                              |                |

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    21 45 00 00 60 1d 00 00 00 20 11 a4 94 cc ab 1f |!E  `           |
    a3 cc ab 1f ff 00 89 00 89 00 4c 62 64 00 09 29 |          Lbd  )|
    10 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 01 20 45 48 45 42 46 45 |          EHEBFE|
    45 46 46 48 45 42 46 4a 43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 |EFFHEBFJCACACACA|
    43 41 43 41 43 41 43 41 41 44 00 00 20 00 01 c0 |CACACACAAD      |
    0c 00 20 00 01 00 04 93 e0 00 06 00 00 cc ab 1f |                |
    a3                                              |                |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    21 45 00 00 38 ab ae 00 00 ff 01 37 1d cc ab 1f |!E  8      7    |
    ff cc ab 1f a3 03 03 f6 2c 00 00 00 00 45 00 00 |        ,    E  |
    60 1c 00 00 00 20 11 a5 94 cc ab 1f a3 cc ab 1f |`               |
    ff 00 89 00 89 00 4c 05 72                      |      L r       |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:1/mod:11
    21 45 00 00 38 ab af 00 00 ff 01 37 1c cc ab 1f |!E  8      7    |
    ff cc ab 1f a3 03 03 99 3a 00 00 00 00 45 00 00 |        :    E  |
    60 1d 00 00 00 20 11 a4 94 cc ab 1f a3 cc ab 1f |`               |
    ff 00 89 00 89 00 4c 62 64                      |      Lbd       |

After reinstalling TCP/IP:
Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:2/mod:12
    21 45 00 00 41 11 00 00 00 20 11 20 50 cc ab 1f |!E  A       P   |
    9b cc ff b0 16 04 01 00 35 00 2d 58 80 00 01 01 |        5 -X    |
    00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 68 6f 6d 65 31 32 |          home12|
    08 6e 65 74 73 63 61 70 65 03 63 6f 6d 00 00 01 | netscape com   |
    00 01                                           |                |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:2/mod:12
    21 45 00 00 38 d3 ab 00 00 0f 01 42 32 a7 98 02 |!E  8      B2   |
    09 cc ab 1f 9b 0b 00 97 1c 00 00 00 00 45 00 00 |             E  |
    41 11 00 00 00 01 11 40 50 cc ab 1f 9b cc ff b0 |A      @P       |
    16 04 01 00 35 00 2d 58 80                      |    5 -X        |

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:2/mod:12
    21 45 00 00 41 12 00 00 00 20 11 1f 51 cc ab 1f |!E  A       Q   |
    9b cc ff b0 15 04 01 00 35 00 2d 58 81 00 01 01 |        5 -X    |
    00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 68 6f 6d 65 31 32 |          home12|
    08 6e 65 74 73 63 61 70 65 03 63 6f 6d 00 00 01 | netscape com   |
    00 01                                           |                |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:2/mod:12
    21 45 c0 00 38 53 17 00 00 f1 01 e0 04 a7 98 02 |!E  8S          |
    0a cc ab 1f 9b 0b 00 98 1b 00 00 00 00 45 00 00 |             E  |
    41 12 00 00 00 01 11 3e 51 cc ab 1f 9b cc ff b0 |A      >Q       |
    15 04 01 00 35 00 2d 58 81                      |    5 -X        |

Incoming PPP Data on interface: slot:2/mod:12
    21 45 00 00 3e 13 00 00 00 20 11 1e 54 cc ab 1f |!E  >       T   |
    9b cc ff b0 15 04 02 00 35 00 2a 91 55 00 01 01 |        5 * U   |
    00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 77 77 77 04 68 6f |          www ho|
    6d 65 03 6d 73 6e 03 63 6f 6d 00 00 01 00 01    |me msn com      |

Outgoing PPP Data on interface: slot:2/mod:12
    21 45 c0 00 38 54 d1 00 00 f1 01 de 4a a7 98 02 |!E  8T      J   |
    0a cc ab 1f 9b 0b 00 5f 49 00 00 00 00 45 00 00 |       _I    E  |
    3e 13 00 00 00 01 11 3d 54 cc ab 1f 9b cc ff b0 |>      =T       |
    15 04 02 00 35 00 2a 91 55                      |    5 * U       |

Any ideas what this guy's problem might be?
Thanks,
-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000        http://www.keyconn.net

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 04:07:18 +0000

Just for giggles.. have you rebooted your chassis recenty?  A lot of these
mysterious errors can be 'solved' by a good ol fashioned power-cycle.

I does look like something is happening, as you are getting requests FROM
them (the URL's are in the trace) but you don't seem to resolve them (no
host address going back to them)... so it may be on your side.  See above
for a possible solution.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Steve Sherwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 04:22:51 +0000

> Gateway with a 28.8 modem, running ARC 4.2.32 and DSP 0.49hw/2.0.81sw
here.

    Boy does this sound familier....

    Since the last set of software upgrades I did on the HiperArc system
here (I'd have to look up the revs) every 30 days (+-1 day) the damn thing
quits giving out DNS information on all channels. It assigns the IP but
fails to assign the DNS servers during negotiation.

    Rebooting clear it up everytime. I let my software contract elapse the
first of the year so I have no recourse in getting it fixed. So I reboot the
unit on a 25 day schedule <argh!!>.

    Steve

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 04:40:07 +0000

Kirk-

Sounds similar to my "TCPIP Stall" post a few days ago. Can he ping (by IP)
FIRST before he launches any TCPIP app? Then, can he ping by FQDN next?

I had some good suggestions appear on the isp-nt list. One that seemed to
ring loudly is disabling IP header compression on the client side. Haven't
contacted my customer yet to try. If you are not  on the ISP list, I'll
email some of the other solutions offline tomorrow.

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 9:38 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) dead connection

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 05:14:20 +0000

>FIRST before he launches any TCPIP app? Then, can he ping by FQDN next?

I'll try that when he calls tomorrow.

>email some of the other solutions offline tomorrow.

I'm on the isp-nt list also but missed that thread as I was away ay ISPCon
last week. I'll start looking back through the posts.

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:17:01 +0000

We've run into some cases like this after they installed Netboost, Internet 
Security, or a host of other programs to "help" their connection 
speed.  After the install, they either cannot connect or cannot go 
anywhere.   They can be a bear to uninstall too.  Dunno if this is an issue 
in your case but it is worth consideration.

Thanks,

Greg Coffey, Visionary Communications  V 307-234-5443  F 307-234-5446
=====================================================================
100 N. Center St. #100, Casper, WY  82601     WWW.VCN.COM

__________________________________________________________
Fight spam now!
Get your free anti-spam service at http://www.brightmail.com

-

---

From: "Chad J. LaFrenz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:42:19 +0000

You might have already checked this but see if he has multiple winsock.dll's
on his machine.  We've had a number of members with this type of problem and
they end up having winsocks all over the place.  Delete the extras and leave
the one in their main Windows directory and they work fine from there.  Hope
that helped.

Regards,

Chad J. LaFrenz
System Admin.
Roaring Fork Computer Society / RoFIntUG

An educational, non-profit ISP proudly serving the Aspen, Glenwood Springs,
Rifle and Vail Valleys.

http://www.rof.net

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of K Mitchell
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 7:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) dead connection

-

-