Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Lost Carrier

From: Campbell Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:56:29 +0000

Brian

The "Lost-Carrier" you get in your RADIUS files is very generic. We also see a lot of lost carrier in our RADIUS logs. The modems on the TCHs can report on a huge range of disconnection reasons, but many of the individual reasons get lumped together as lost carrier with RADIUS. I would suggest looking at your modem disconnection reasons under TCM under performance monitoring menu option and seeing what the modems are reporting as their disconnection reasons. You may find that many of the disconnection reasons are quite acceptable.

Hope this helps

Campbell

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:09:23 +0000

Then why are there so many disconnect reasons in the USR dictionary?  The
DSP's should signal as close to the disconnect reason as possible.

I also was to by 3Com that rcvdGatewayDiconnect was also a 'generic' disco
term.... how many 'generic' terms is 3Com gonna use??

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 03:55:57 +0000

rcvdGatewayDisconnect, and the others in the dictionary, are logged by 
the modem, not the ARC.  "Lost-carrier" is logged by the ARC.

"Received Gateway Disconnect" means that the ARC told the modem to hang
up.  (i.e. it dropped DTR, or the packet bus equivalent. :)  So for that
one, you hung up on the customer, rather than the other way around.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-