Subject: RE: (usr-tc) static IP address assignments

From: USRobotics TC Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:29:28 +0000

I've got Static IP addresses working with Vircom Radius, but would rather
not pay the $1,500 US their asking for, just to add Static IP address
functionality.

I only need the ability to assign static IP addresses to a couple of users.
I've already got dynamic IP assignment from pools working.

I'm using the version of Radius that comes with W2K.  I've been using the NT
40 version for about three years now without a single problem, other than
I've not been able to assign a static IP address to individual users.

I've got a years experience with FreeBSD, but our authentication is off of
NT, and a migration is out of the question right now.

I'm pretty sure I can figure this out, but I think I've missed a concept
somewhere along the way.  

How does Radius know which Framed-IP-Address to assign a specific user?  
Is this done with an attribute such as Filter-ID or something else?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Mcadams [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 4:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) static IP address assignments

Also sprach USRobotics TC Mailing List
>Thank you for the quick responses.

>I guess I don't know as much about RADIUS as I should.

>I know how to create a radius profile, but what I don't know, is how to
>assign a specific profile to a specific user.

RADIUS profiles sound like an implementation specific thing, so I don't
think I'm gonna be able to help much there.

>I'd like to specify the address in Framed-IP-Address rather than having to
>assign a pool.

Right...the question is, are you going to assign static IP addresses to
*all* of your customers, or is this just going to be for specific
people, and most everyone else gets dynamic IP addresses still.  The
typical way of handling that is to have a Framed-IP-Address with the
static IP address for the users that get the statics, and have it be
255.255.255.255 for the rest of the users, then define an IP pool on
each of your NAS systems for the dynamics to pull from.

>The Windows 2000 version of radius doesn't have a Framed-IP-Address
>attribute, only USR-Framed-IP-Address-Pool.

That version of RADIUS (w2k?  gack! ;) may call it something different.
Maybe just IP-Address or something like that.  I'm totally Unix based
here, so don't have specific information on your version of RADIUS.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:40:09 +0000

We use a UNIX based RADIUS server that is free and works great.  I believe
I got it from www.freeradius.org -- not a single problem with it.  I'm
able to do just about everything I possibly need to use it for.  Static
IPs/subnets work great, disable some user accounts from logging in,etc.

Good product that costs nothing.  I would almost suggest using a UNIX
based RADIUS server as they appear to be more stable, however that is your
choice.

Just thought I'd add my two cents in this.

Scott

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:52:31 +0000

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here...  You'd be better off
finding a mailing list dealing with whatever Radius server you are
using...  I don't believe there are many folks on this list using NT, and
if they are they are likely using SBR, Radiator, or USR's offering...

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:27:46 +0000

The $1500 will be the best moeny you have spent on software. Vircom is
always there to support their product. The are by far the best software
company I deal with. If they made a dist of Linux I would probably convert
as it would be expected to work and supported...

Anyway, we tried to figure out the MS radius and there just isn't any docs
on it. We even got involved with MS to work out the issues and MS does not
know how it works. At least that was true with the versions available for
NT4. Also, there are some very basic accounting data that it does not keep
track of and MS replied that it wasn't required by the 'standard'. My
response was I didn't care. If the product didn't emulate and surpass a
standard unix radius configuration then it sucked. The Vircom product does,
and comes with great support! You can run from a database or unix text
files. Anyway, you will quickly burn up $1500 in frustration with MS on
their version.

BTW I'm not down on MS, I just don't get good results with features that are
afterthoughts and not strategic corporate directions. IIS works because it
has huge corporate momentum behind it, but the vast majority of MS isn't
even aware they have a radius product.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "USRobotics TC Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 11:25 AM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) static IP address assignments

-