Subject: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive

From: Steve Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:11:08 +0000

I powered off my TC chassis tonight to plug it into a new UPS.  When I powered it back on, the Run/Fail light on the HiperARC stayed red.  It shows up as a "?" in the Total Control Manager.  I tried rebooting the unit several times, using several different power sources.  I also tried removing the front portion of the card (while powered off) and reinserting it.  I can only guess it's cooked.  Is there anything else I can try?

I would like to express my disgust with 3Com on this matter.  After troubleshooting the problem as described above, I called 3Com service.  They couldn't seem to "find" my service contract that I paid over a thousand dollars for, just for this type of incident.  She offered to take my credit card and transfer me to a level support agent.  I should be paid to have to talk to a level 1 rep, not the other way around.  I told her I wasn't interested in doing that and expressed that this was the specific and only reason I bought the service contract.  She said she couldn't help me.  This piece of garbage is only 4 months old, this is not acceptable.  Why didn't I just buy another Portmaster.  <kicking myself>

I'm going to ream my service contract agent in the morning.  Until then it's lots of busy signals.

Suggestions?

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:22:19 -0500

If you don't have documentation to support your claim that you have a
service contract, I would have done the same thing, asked for CC info and
transferred you.

How many irate people do you think they get a day "claiming" to have
support?  In this one case they dropped your contract.  Faxing them your
paid reciept and documentation should end it.

You get 5 year hardware support, so it is covered, but not NEXT DAY
service or hot spares.  Thier next day service is a joke, but you knew
what you were paying for (you did read the contract?).

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: "Bob Purdon (Lists)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:51:43 +0000

> I would like to express my disgust with 3Com on this matter.  After
> troubleshooting the problem as described above, I called 3Com service.  
> They couldn't seem to "find" my service contract that I paid over a
> thousand dollars for, just for this type of incident.

We have (had) the same every time we called for support - they could never
find our contract details at the time and had to call us back later.

> then it's lots of busy signals.

Ream him with a *big* reamer.

We found in Oz that (initially) 3COM had no spares in the country, so next
day delivery of parts was impossible.  Our first shipment had a chassis
with bent pins on the midplane, a 110v power supply (we're 240v here), and
something else that escapes me now.

We kicked up a stink, taking it to the highest head in the land.  We were
issued a full credit for the contract.

Then, only a month or so back, 3COM sent us to the collectors to collect
the invoiced amount for the contract, despite issuing us with a full
credit (of which we had a copy).  In addition, the original invoice was $X
Australian dollars (and I can tell you, it was a damn lot more than $1k).
The instructed the collectors to collect in US dollars (which worked out
to be around $4k more).

Needless to say, we've not renewed our contract.  It's cheaper to buy a
spare chassis or two and support yourself (at least with the NETserver
based gear).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Purdon,                          Ground Floor, Marine Board Building
Technical Manager (Tas/Vic),                  1 Franklin Wharf, Tas 7000
Southern Internet Services.                            +61 (3) 6234 7444

-

---

From: Jason Kelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:41:50 +0000

hehehehehehe.....

Why doesn't that surprise me???

hrmmm.... looks like 3Com enjoys taking people to the cleaners... maybe they
should try a softer detergent.. ;)

So all is well then @ Southern / Labyrinth eh?  let me know if you got any
plans to do some creative stuff down (up) there.  I'm currently working on
stuff like selling VPN / RAS outsourcing solutions to enterprise customers,
and we're looking at selling solutions like Service Selection Gateways to
Service Providers..

Also, let me know how much you know about the iPlanet stuff from the
Sun-Netscape Alliance and your thoughts on it.  Alstom IT (the place which I
now call home), is heavily involved with the Alliance as the only tier-3
distributor of the products, and we're ramping up rapidly.  My focus in this
area, will be on the service provider markets, looking at portal
applications, messaging (even for enterprise outsourcing to you guys believe
it or not!!!) and web enablement solutions.

Its prolly easiest to call me on 0411-694-311 if you wanna have a long
winded chat (or whine about you know who ... hehehe).

This is still my home email, but my work one (should you have the desire) is
[email-masked].  And yes!  we are a TC distributor, but I
doubt we'll get any good pricing out of 3Com for you....  Although, we're
looking at selling managed (distributed) services and maintenance for 3Com,
where we'll hold our own spares!

Regards,

Jase.
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Purdon (Lists) <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive

-

---

From: Jason Kelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:59:42 +0000

oops ... sorry!! was meant to be personal.. ;(

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Jason Kelton <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:05:21 +0000

Perhaps you have a future in 3Com management.  I would love to pay a 
thousand bucks only to have to dig up documentation that I paid it when I 
was in a crisis situation.  We're still waiting for someone to pick up a 
ticket on a problematic Netserver 8 that we turned in last week.  We get to 
wait up to 48 hours for someone to call us back to tell us the unit is 
defective.  It is new, defective and well past the 48 hours, 3Com.

At 09:22 PM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
> > I powered off my TC chassis tonight to plug it into a new UPS.  When I 
> powered it back on, the Run/Fail light on the HiperARC stayed red.  It 
> shows up as a "?" in the Total Control Manager.  I tried rebooting the 
> unit several times, using several different power sources.  I also tried 
> removing the front portion of the card (while powered off) and 
> reinserting it.  I can only guess it's cooked.  Is there anything else I 
> can try?
> >
> troubleshooting the problem as described above, I called 3Com 
> service.  They couldn't seem to "find" my service contract that I paid 
> over a thousand dollars for, just for this type of incident.  She offered 
> to take my credit card and transfer me to a level support agent.  I 
> should be paid to have to talk to a level 1 rep, not the other way 
> around.  I told her I wasn't interested in doing that and expressed that 
> this was the specific and only reason I bought the service contract.  She 
> said she couldn't help me.  This piece of garbage is only 4 months old, 
> this is not acceptable.  Why didn't I just buy another 
> Portmaster.  <kicking myself>
> >

Thanks, Greg Coffey                     <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications V 307-234-5443 F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center #100, Casper, WY  82601        www.vcn.com

-

---

From: Jason Kelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:27:33 +0000

All,

Just to clarify something and extend my apology regarding my previous thread
(emails).

It was never my intention for this email to go out to the TC world, it was
intended as a personal email between myself and an associate.

Unfortunately some of the content contained therein, was either uninformed,
mis-perceived or misinterpreted thoughts by myself.  As these were personal
expressions, thinking out loud without proofing it, can sometimes cause
self-embarrasment which is sometimes the best way (but unfortunately the
hardest and least appropriate), to learn what NOT to say and do.

I extend my sincere apologies for the aforementioned content, to anyone who
feels personally offended by my comments.

Best Wishes,

Jason.
----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Kelton <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive

-