Subject: (usr-tc) DSP problems

From: Steve Cobb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 02:00:16 +0000

I've got a TCR with 2 HyperDSPs working fine connected to PRIs.  I've had to add another DSP because of expansion.  I've got the card in the TCR and have copied the configuration from one DSP to the new DSP, ie trunk settings, swith type, etc.  My users are getting unusual high tones at handshake and then the connection drops.  I've talked with several 3COM technicians who have said the card is setup correctly.  I've had the PRI checked by the telco technician twice and they say that the PRI is good.  The 3COM technician had me look at the errors on the span and they were incredibly high for the new card.  The telco say that when he hookd his "t-bird" to it (whatever that is) he doesn't get any errors.  Anybody have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  There is a lot of finger-pointing going on.

Thanks,

Steve Cobb
Geeksnet

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 03:59:42 +0000

If you're getting a high error rate ensure you've got all your T1/PRI line
settings correct; ie: line coding, framing, and timing.  It's entirely
possible that the telco delivered one line provisioned one way and another
in a completely different manner.  Try to get the telco to verify all that
info.  Line coding is either B8ZS or AMI, framing is either ESF or D4, and
timing source can be supplied by the telco (line) or you (internal).

Good luck,

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 04:38:50 +0000

Also sprach Steve Cobb
>I've got a TCR with 2 HyperDSPs working fine connected to PRIs.  I've
>had to add another DSP because of expansion.  I've got the card in the
>TCR and have copied the configuration from one DSP to the new DSP, ie
>trunk settings, swith type, etc.  My users are getting unusual high
>tones at handshake and then the connection drops.  I've talked with
>several 3COM technicians who have said the card is setup correctly.
>I've had the PRI checked by the telco technician twice and they say
>that the PRI is good.  The 3COM technician had me look at the errors on
>the span and they were incredibly high for the new card.  The telco say
>that when he hookd his "t-bird" to it (whatever that is) he doesn't get
>any errors.  Anybody have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  There
>is a lot of finger-pointing going on.

In addition to what Charles mentioned...might try to have the telco run
from their t-bird head to head with the DSP...even providing the D
channel if the model of t-bird they have can do that.  Also might have
the telco plug the t-bird into the monitor ports on the DSP if they're
willing (some telco folks are anal and won't do anything with you beyond
the demarc...some are cool though and will work with you...hope you get
the latter :), and let the t-bird see what the DSP card is seeing.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 14:17:31 +0000

> timing source can be supplied by the telco (line) or you (internal).

I can't imagine any situation (involving telco dial tone and a TC chassis)
that you would want to be anything other than loop timed, ie, the telco
suppling the timing.

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 15:36:12 +0000

I have an edgeserver PRO and I see the specs list the CPU as a 200mhz,
256k cache.  Can I use the 200mhz, 1M cache parts instead?  Are there
differances in the voltages I need to worry about?

thx,

--
Aaron Nabil

-