Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Quad modem x2 tx level

From: Ray Whelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:53:00 +0000

Hi Dan,

There are slight differences in setting between modems from different country
settings, as our modems must comply with the different country specification
settings set by each Telco , ATI7 tells you your country code setting.
Country like US/Canada , Japan, Finland, Sweden, UK, Norway, South Africa,
Italy, New Zealand, Czech / Slovkia, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, France, Germany,
Austria , Ireland , Spain, Portugal and Malaysia all have very slight difference
in values and limits, what you are seeing  is more likely differences in modem
country settings , we also have a country code setting that covers International
ITU-T spic.

By the way -10 dB is a stronger signal than -12 dB

Hope it helps

Ray W

Dan Borlovan <[email-masked]> on 30/01/2000 09:22:41

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  Dan Borlovan <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (Ray Whelan/IE/3Com)
Subject:  (usr-tc) Quad modem x2 tx level

Hello,

In order to try improve user x2 connect speeds, I tried to raise the x2
transmit level on quad modem cards. The problem is I have two quad modem
models (analog/digital vs. digital only) and the first don't let me go
higher than -12dB, while the other ones happily accepted -10dB (this is as
far as I may go from the telco point of view)

Now the only difference between modems is the analog capability (referring
to the possibility of getting signal from nic or pritdm) and the country
code.

All modems are setup as digital, taking signal via pritdm from e1 card.

Is there anything I can do about this one?

Dan
--
Dan Borlovan <[email-masked]>
System Administrator, Network Operation Center
Dynamic Network Technologies - Timisoara, Romania
Telefon: +40-56-204967  FAX: +40-56-220201

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:34:39 +0000

So what db level do you recommend that the quads be set to assuming we're 
in the US?  What about the dsp's?

>Is there anything I can do about this one?

Thanks, Greg Coffey                               <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications  V 307-234-5443    F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center Suite #100, Casper, WY  82601    www.vcn.com

-

---

From: Dan Borlovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 12:40:59 +0000

> settings set by each Telco , ATI7 tells you your country code setting.

Is the modem enforcing a maximum signal level on country-code basis? If
so, can I bypass this limit?

> By the way -10 dB is a stronger signal than -12 dB

Yes I know, and -10dB gives me better x2 connect speeds.

Dan

-