Subject: [USR-TC] DSP Connection Problems

From: Joel - Fox Computers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:36:26 +0000

I have some dial-up users getting slow connection speeds, and also cannot get any V.92 connections working.

Hoping someone can lend some advice.

Sorry if the explanation is long, but I want to give you all the information.

First, here is my Total Control configuration:

(2) Hiper DSP's, v.3.5.12
Hiper ARC, v.5.3.2
Hiper NMC v.8.6.3
(2) 130amp Power Supplies

I have to CT1's to the DSP Cards, Trunk settings on the DSP cards are listed at the bottom of this message for your info.

I started seeing some users report slow connection speeds, and so I started comparing my performance to another provider in town who I know is also running Total Control, and I'm pretty sure with CT1 lines, but I don't know any technical details of their setup.  On a machine in my office I've tested with both a Lucent/Agere V92 winmodem and a USR Sportster External V.92.

Dialing into my own equipment I consistently get and maintain 45333-46666 connections.  Not bad, but with the same phone line, same modems, same everything, when I dial the other provider, I get 49333 every time.  I have some several users connecting to my equipment and getting 49333,50666, or 52000, even some using the same Lucent/Agere modems, but I can't do it myself.  I have some users that might connect at 50666 or 49333 five times in a row and then get 21K the next time.  The worst part of it all is that I have some users that can connect to the other provider at 49333 all day long and can't get better than 28800 dialing into my equipment.  This tells me something is wrong.

Both of my "live" DSP cards are doing the same things to several different users at different times.  At the same time some users have really poor connections, I have other users on the same DSP card with excellent stable connections.  I've tried swapping out for some spare DSP's, and got the same results.  Although I didn't see how it would help, I also tried swapping out the ARC, and got the same result.

I placed a trouble ticket with the Telco today, and then had the local technician on the phone while he tested both my circuits.  For about 30 minutes straight there were absolutely NO errors on the CT1's.  Everything is testing perfectly.  One thing that worries me is my trunk settings, and although the telco tech was able to confirm my Framing and Line Coding settings for the Trunks, he had no idea about some of the other options under trunk settings.  I have tried playing with the "Transmit Line Build Out" and "Receiver Gain" settings, but they don't seem to make any significant difference, unless I'm just not getting the right combination.

Also - on the trunk settings, I probably have the wrong "Primary Switch Type", but have no idea what it should be.  I know that the Telco CO is using an Ericcson switch, but that's all the info I could get out of them.  Any idea what it should be?

In addition to the slow-connection problems, I can't get any V.92 connections at all.  V.90/V.42 is as good as it gets.  But my understanding is that I have the right hardware and the right code to do it.  So is this also maybe related to the same problem causing some users to have occasional slow connections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Again, Sorry for the long email.

Thanks,

Joel
Fox Computers

---- My DSP Trunk Settings ----

Framing Mode	dsx1ESF
Line Coding Options	dsx1AMI
Circuit Identifier	
Loopback Configuration	dsx1NoLoop
Signal Mode	robbedBit
Transmit Clock Source	loopTiming
NIC Type	longHaul
Response to Remote Loopback	ignore
Jitter Attenuation	attenJitterOnRcvr
Transmit Line Build Out	dB0pt0
Dial In Address	noAddress
Dial In/Out Trunk Start Signal Type	wink
Ack Wink On Dial In Address Info Received	disabled
Dial Out Address Delay	70
Dial In/Out Trunk Type	eAndMTypeII
Primary Switch Type	priSw5ESS
Idle Byte Pattern	254
Receiver Gain	dB12
Tone Type	dtmf
Number of DTMF Tones	4
Send Code	dsx1SendNoCode
External Signaling Mode (will take effect next boot)	none
Overlap Receiving Mode	disable
Overlap Receiving Inbound Digits Expected	12
Overlap Receiving Timeout Delay	12

---

From: Jeremy Malli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:39:11 +0000

You'll need to get DSP code 5.2.103 in order to resolve these problems ;
it's not available from the support sites yet, but you should be able to
contact whoever supports your 3COM gear and have them send you a copy.

Jeremy Malli
Alpha Geek - Visionary
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel - Fox Computers [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] DSP Connection Problems

I have some dial-up users getting slow connection speeds, and also cannot
get any V.92 connections working.

Sorry if the explanation is long, but I want to give you all the
information.

I have to CT1's to the DSP Cards, Trunk settings on the DSP cards are listed
at the bottom of this message for your info.

I started seeing some users report slow connection speeds, and so I started
comparing my performance to another provider in town who I know is also
running Total Control, and I'm pretty sure with CT1 lines, but I don't know
any technical details of their setup.  On a machine in my office I've tested
with both a Lucent/Agere V92 winmodem and a USR Sportster External V.92.

Dialing into my own equipment I consistently get and maintain 45333-46666
connections.  Not bad, but with the same phone line, same modems, same
everything, when I dial the other provider, I get 49333 every time.  I have
some several users connecting to my equipment and getting 49333,50666, or
52000, even some using the same Lucent/Agere modems, but I can't do it
myself.  I have some users that might connect at 50666 or 49333 five times
in a row and then get 21K the next time.  The worst part of it all is that I
have some users that can connect to the other provider at 49333 all day long
and can't get better than 28800 dialing into my equipment.  This tells me
something is wrong.

Both of my "live" DSP cards are doing the same things to several different
users at different times.  At the same time some users have really poor
connections, I have other users on the same DSP card with excellent stable
connections.  I've tried swapping out for some spare DSP's, and got the same
results.  Although I didn't see how it would help, I also tried swapping out
the ARC, and got the same result.

I placed a trouble ticket with the Telco today, and then had the local
technician on the phone while he tested both my circuits.  For about 30
minutes straight there were absolutely NO errors on the CT1's.  Everything
is testing perfectly.  One thing that worries me is my trunk settings, and
although the telco tech was able to confirm my Framing and Line Coding
settings for the Trunks, he had no idea about some of the other options
under trunk settings.  I have tried playing with the "Transmit Line Build
Out" and "Receiver Gain" settings, but they don't seem to make any
significant difference, unless I'm just not getting the right combination.

Also - on the trunk settings, I probably have the wrong "Primary Switch
Type", but have no idea what it should be.  I know that the Telco CO is
using an Ericcson switch, but that's all the info I could get out of them.
Any idea what it should be?

In addition to the slow-connection problems, I can't get any V.92
connections at all.  V.90/V.42 is as good as it gets.  But my understanding
is that I have the right hardware and the right code to do it.  So is this
also maybe related to the same problem causing some users to have occasional
slow connections?

Thanks,

Joel
Fox Computers

---- My DSP Trunk Settings ----

Framing Mode	dsx1ESF

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc