Subject: (usr-tc) Motorola SM56 modems

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 07:29:12 +0000

Anyone had any problems with Motorola SM56 modems?  I ran into one person
a while back that had a hell of a lot of problems with one, which went
away when he got a Sportster...  apparently Motorola didn't have any newer
drivers (and yes it's a Winmodem).  But in the last 4 days -- 3 of which
we've been running 2.0.51 code on a mix of hardware revs 49, 53, and 54 --
we've had a sharp increase in the number of people having disconnects with
these things.  One of them was in a brand new Gateway computer, so I fear
that they may have switched modem vendors yet again, and with Christmas
having just come, that might be the source of lots of them.  (ugh)  So at
this point I can't tell if it's that or if it's the 2.0.51 code causing
the problem.  I would rather be running 2.0.51 because I've got five DSP's
on order and they're likely to be a newer hardware rev, and I'd rather
run the same code across the board...

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, & Shelbyville
"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:13:15 +0000

I have a user (also with a brand new Gateway) having similiar problems with
this modem.  They connect at no better than 21K.  We're running 2.0.19 &
4.1.59-6.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 06:04:50 +0000

Yes, My user is having problem in connecting to my TC using the MOTOROLA
SM56 modems, my ARC is 4.1.59 and my DSP is 2.0.72
	
>>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.
Herbert Frias
Network Group

Pacific Internet, Philippines			(632) 637-1700 Phone.
3rd Flr. The Taipan Place			(632) 683-7197 Fax.
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Center 
Pasig, Metro Manila 1605
Philippines

Voice: (632) 637-1700
	(632) 683-7164
Fax: (632) 683-7197

-