Subject: (usr-tc) 486 Hiper NMC question

From: Mitch Dailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:22:47 +0000

Does anyone know if the 486 Hiper NMC's came with v.90 enabled or was that
an optional feature?

Mitch Dailey
NileNet, Ltd.
[email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:47:19 +0000

As far as I know, the x2 key is what you pay for.  Have to have that to 
enable v90 though.  It is an option for all NMC's, I believe.  You can move 
the key (or 3Com can) from one NMC to another.

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

Thanks,

Greg Coffey,   V 307-234-5443  x11
=====================================================================
100 N. Center St. #201, Casper, WY  82601

-

---

From: Mitch Dailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:10:51 +0000

I have a 486 NMC that I tried to upgrade to the Hiper code (which requires
the upgraded ram and flash).  I failed to notice the larger flash
requirements before attempting the update and needless to say the card won't
boot now.  The rn/fl light flashes green.  I know that means it needs a
download but I've tried several times to download with the pcsdl utility but
I've never been able to establish communication.  The NMC in question was
v.90 enabled, but given my luck the unlock code is now fried (the entire
chassis was bought used so I'm probably out of luck for 3com to move the
unlock code).

Any suggestions?  I found a deal on an NMC with the Hiper code and upgraded
ram and the 10/100 nic so I was just planning on buying a new one (which is
kind of dumb but I'd really like to get this box in service).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Greg Coffey
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 4:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 486 Hiper NMC question

Thanks,

-

-

---

From: Mike Wilker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:19:31 +0000

I believe that the x2/V.90 key is only necessary for Quad cards.  A 486 NMC
with HiperDSPs doesn't need a key to support V.90.

Mike Wilker
Director of Network Operations
Tiger Communications
   DBA Local Link USA, Globaleyes Comm, Protocom

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mitch Dailey" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 5:21 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) 486 Hiper NMC question

Mitch Dailey
NileNet, Ltd.
[email-masked]

-

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:05:28 +0000

Also sprach Mike Wilker
>I believe that the x2/V.90 key is only necessary for Quad cards.  A 486
>NMC with HiperDSPs doesn't need a key to support V.90.

That is correct.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-