Subject: (usr-tc) DSl service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 18:18:40 +0000

Folks,

I know this is slightly off topic but I wanted to throw it out for opinions.
We are looking at offering DSL service soon.  Are there any rules of thumb
that folks are using for estimating bandwidth needs per number of DSL
customers ?  How are the LECs and CLECs at getting DSL circuits put in
in a timely manner ?  Lastly, there was some discussion a while back
about the TC and whether it supported DSL or would in the future.  Any
new news on that one ?

Thanks,

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 19:51:05 +0000

DSL is horrible slow at getting put in.  Most DSL providors (Covad etc)
are not making money (or very little) at it.

Many ISP's are getting black eyes over DSL installs becuase of the wait...
or they sell the service before it is verified the customer has the
ability to get DSL service.

I would rather see a 2-4 T-1 NIC for the ARC before DSL....

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 20:24:21 +0000

You are going to have to define the customer before you know the bandwidth
requirements. The conventional approach is to load them up like ISDN users
and go with that ratio, but you really get hosed by a single client who
decides that $49 a month gets him a 100% duty cycle incoming T1 feed. I
haven't found any backbone provider sho is willing to sell me that kind of
bandwidth for $49, no matter how big a pipe I try to aggregate it into.

We have taken a different approach with our wireless dsl service. We are
defining the nominal speed, with a burst rate. The customer chooses what
they need and pays accordingly. I have bandwidht management to enforce the
policies, and most residential clients on my 64K nominal/1M burst plan don't
see the difference between it and other simlar offering from the
competition. The burst period is sufficient to handle most requests while
protecting the overall network. The primary difference is that a bad boy in
the neighborhood isn't taking down the entire group because they are abusing
the account they signed up for, as is common in cable systems and can also
occur in dsl systems. I also have the advantage of offering a symmetric
service which many of my business clients appreciate, particularly those who
are doing remote computing.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Binkley <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2000 10:15 AM
Subject: (usr-tc) DSl service

-