Subject: (usr-tc) HARC upgrade

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:38:16 +0000

I'm preparing to upgrade my HARC from 4.1.59 to the 5.0 code. In the release
notes, it states that I may have to do an interim upgrade, depending on the
flash memory in my HARC. It says to do a sh mem on the HARC to see if I have
8meg or 16 meg. But when I do a sh mem, I get this:

Total System Memory Resources:             118418 KB
Free Memory:                               95516 KB
Code Size:                                 3815 KB
Initialized Data Size:                     646 KB
Uninitialized Data Size:                   3844 KB
Stack Size:                                512 KB

So, where does it show the flash memory size? Is it implied at 8 megs (3815
+ 646 + 3844)?

Anybody know?

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:04:48 +0000

Also sprach Scot Desort
>I'm preparing to upgrade my HARC from 4.1.59 to the 5.0 code. In the
>release notes, it states that I may have to do an interim upgrade,
>depending on the flash memory in my HARC. It says to do a sh mem on the
>HARC to see if I have 8meg or 16 meg. But when I do a sh mem, I get
>this:

>So, where does it show the flash memory size? Is it implied at 8 megs (3815

"show mem" doesn't show flash memory size I don't believe...what it does
show, though, is that you have 128MB of regular ram (118418 is a bit shy
of the 128 figure, but it certainly rules out your having only 64).  I
believe this implication is that if you have 128 megs of ram, you have
16 megs of flash...I believe the Arcs were changed from 64 megs of ram
to 128 megs of ram at the same time they changed from 8 megs of flash to
16 megs of flash.  If you want to confirm the amount of flash ram on the
Arc, do a "list files" and look at the bottom of the output, it should
give you information about how much flash is available and how much is
used.

As a quick check on a couple of my Arcs, they are either 8/64 or
16/128...I've never seen a 8/128, so you should be ok, but use the "list
files" to check for sure...
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:20:21 +0000

Interesting. I read the instructions to do a sh mem to verify flash capacity
in 2 separate 3COM docs on the upgrade process. I read it a few times since
I didn't see the flash memory figures.

List files gives me:

Total    Allocated   Deleted   Free     MinimumFree
Sectors  Sectors     Sectors   Sectors  Sectors
   15359     2540       1123     11696      2303

So, 16 megs I assume by the 15359 "sectors"....??

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HARC upgrade

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:31:07 +0000

3Com is making the assumption that Jeff has made. HiPer arcs were shipped
in two configurations. 1) 8M Flash / 64M Ram and 2) 16M Flash / 128M
RAM. So for most cases if you know the RAM you kow the flash.. They have
overlooked the possibility that some customers may have upgraded the RAM
on their own. This was meant to remove the need for physical inspection of
the hardware before upgrading.  

And yes that 15### blocks is 16M Flash.. 8M shows up as 7###..

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:48:50 +0000

So, in a nutshell, I _do not_ need to perform the interim upgrade to go to
5.x. Since I have 16 megs of flash, my 4.1.59 code can go straight to 5.x
without performing the interim 4.1.13 upgrade, correct?

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HARC upgrade

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:38:55 +0000

yep.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Dialup/ADSL/ISDN/T1 Internet access for Frankfort KY and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:16:11 +0000

I also see that as of 7/20/2000 that there are 2 new QUAD upgrades
at the 3com site...

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite Q
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:32:35 +0000

Also sprach [email-masked]
>	I also see that as of 7/20/2000 that there are 2 new QUAD upgrades

YES!!!  Online configuration of quads!  Finally!  :)

Guess that means I need to re-invigorate my crusade to get 3Com to be
less fascist about access to code upgrades.  :/
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:17:43 +0000

That was in 6.1.6 I thought too...  but I can't tell, because I can't even
download the *release notes*.  Geez.  Anyone want to post a summary of
what's new?

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:41:47 +0000

The web site is really "screwed" up!  If you look at the link it
points to:  ftp://totalservice.usr.com/pub/software....  instead of
totalservice.3com.com/pub!  I think they have some linking problems from
the old site address to the new site.  I was able to finally take a look
at the PDF file for the quads, but took several attempts!

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:27:27 +0000

> download the *release notes*.  Geez.  Anyone want to post a summary of

They must really dislike you... :) I was able to see the pdfs fine sans
login.  I can forward them off to you if you'd like...

I saw that other message about access problems as well.  I entered the
site via the usr.com domain...
 
Charles

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:41:15 +0000

Yeah, I couldn't get in with usr.com either. I just launched wsftp and
substituted with 3com.com and all worked fine.

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Sprickman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HARC upgrade

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:14:28 +0000

> login.  I can forward them off to you if you'd like...

Yes, they must, because I pulled the PDF file down just fine using
anonymous FTP.  On my own account though, it fails.  Cute, huh?  :p

Anyway, looks like no new features, just bug fixes.  Nothing radically new
like v.92.  And yeah, Jeff, the online configuration was in 6.1.6
already...

-