Subject: RE: (usr-tc) v.92 for quads update

From: Brian Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:19:38 +0000

Wow Jeff. I just sat in on a CommWorks session at ISPCon and it wasn't like
that at all. They talked openly about the Quad cards and the fact that they
were not going to be able to move them to the V.92 standard. 

That is not anything close to: 

>>disavow any knowledge of the product ever *existing*

I have users all the time come in our store and expect their modem they
bought more than 4 years ago to be V.92 ready. Sounds like you are expecting
the same thing...

Brian Becker
President, Poplar Bluff Internet, Inc. - www.semo.net 
Home of TotallyFabricated.com software
  www.TotalScrutinizer.com - Tech support just got easier!
  www.WebGabber.com - Best html-only Chat Software

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jeff Mcadams
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 9:43 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) v.92 for quads update

Also sprach Curt Shambeau
>Yeah... so???  That's a router.  How much has v.35 interfaces changed
>over the last 10 years.  How much as 10base-T ethernet changed over the
>last 10 years?

You're saying router technology hasn't changed much over the past 10
years?  What color is the sky in your world?  ;)

>Now, take the proper comparison (not one that just fits your cause),
>such as the Cisco 5200, which will not support v.92, and we have a real
>life comparison of a like product.  A comparison of a technology that
>changes every year.

OK...its not a direct comparison...but its still good.  Cisco 2500's
don't/can't support the latest and greatest stuff due to technological
limitations.  But you'll notice that Cisco didn't just drop the product
on the floor.

If this'd been 3Com/CommWorks, they'd probably , let alone support it to the
extent that the
technology allows.

-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:33:49 +0000

FWIW, they're not supporting v.92 on the Couriers either, at least not the
20 mhz ones and maybe not the 25 mhz ones either.

Quads aren't that much different from 20 mhz Couriers, hardware-wise.

That gives a little more credibility to the "hardware can't handle it"
argument (as does the fact that there are two different clock speed
Couriers in the first place!)... but... it would still be REALLY nice to
have someone at 3Com actually come out and say why the hardware can't
handle it (flash, ram, cpu, whatever).

There is a new Courier out that is v.92 upgradable but I gather the
hardware design is different -- has anyone actually seen one to see if
it's got more flash, more ram, or a cpu faster than a 25 mhz 80188?

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-