Subject: (usr-tc) HiperDSPs to HiperArcs

From: Mike Wilker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:35:58 +0000

I keep hearing 7 DSPs per Arc.  Is this a set maximum or a practical max if
you are running lots of services?  Can I run 8 DSPs on one Arc if I'm just
doing basic dial-up with no tunneling and such?

Mike Wilker
Operations Manager
Local Link, Inc.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:40:06 +0000

|-----Original Message-----
|From: [email-masked]
|[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Mike Wilker
|Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 12:33 PM
|To: [email-masked]
|Subject: (usr-tc) HiperDSPs to HiperArcs
|
|
|I keep hearing 7 DSPs per Arc.  Is this a set maximum or a practical max if
|you are running lots of services?  Can I run 8 DSPs on one Arc if I'm just
|doing basic dial-up with no tunneling and such?
|

The 7DSP number came about from stress testing of HiperARC 4.0.x code. from that
testing a performance fall off was seen after adding the 8th span of calls.
(these calls are all doing PPP and FTP downloads. ). Since then the falloff has
moved out and the severity of the fall off greatly reduced to a point of little
impact for a full 14 spans. The FTP test is a little more severe than the stand
mix of activities/data rates/packet sizes seen in normal operation.

The 7 span recommendation is still in effect if IPX or l2tp is to be run over the
PPP links.

So the answer to your question is 8 DSPs will not be a problem. You should be
running 4.1.59-6 or newer code on your HARC and DSP 2.0.81 or newer.

-M

-

---

From: Rick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:39:25 +0000

If you are running IP only then a single Arc can support upto 14 DSP's. IPX has
a limitation of 7DSP's.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Rick Allan / [email-masked] | Connect to a Backbone not a Wishbone
Head of Network Engineering    |    Monmouth Internet Corporation
732-842-5366=====extension 102 |      http://www.monmouth.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-