Subject: (usr-tc) An odd authentication problem

From: Mike McHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:17:30 +0000

For the past several months people have been reporting a LONG delay in
authentication after connecting to our modems. Try as I might I couldn't
duplicate this until today. Seems that normal PAP authentication works fine.
However, about 1/10th of the time that I dial into my USR equipment using a
terminal window I experience the problem.

Here is what happens, dial into USR, handshake goes well, I am prompted for
my login. After entering my username and hitting enter the USR hangs for
about a minute before coming back with "Login incorrect" and then prompts me
again for my username. It never asks for a password. Watching things on the
radius server I see about 30 lines come across my radius logs saying
something like "Error: no username: [] (from nas tc-1.minn.net)"

Obviously my one minute delay on login is being caused by the USR timing out
on this null username request. The question is why is the USR sending a null
radius request and timing out on it? It only does this about 1/10th of the
time and it never seems to happen when doing straight PAP. Anyone else run
into this before?

Mike McHenry
 Systems Administrator
 MinnNet Communications, Inc.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.