Subject: (usr-tc) Total Control 1000 help with dialout and HiperArc # 2

From: Rick Digatono <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:55:40 +0000

Hello (4-19-01)
I'm still having a problem with the Total Control 1000 and using it as a
dialout
modem server.  I'm working with 3com support and they told me that the DSP
Multi
Span Nac Software Ver 3.0.14 has known issues and I should flash it.  They
first
recommended 3.0.105 and then 3.0.108. The DSP Multi Span Nac Hardware is ver
0.2.0
and 0.3.0.  After the flash every time I try and place a call the modem card
reboots,
so now I can't place any calls. I did the flash using TCM manager and also
re-flashed
using the AUX Port with HyperTerminal.  Before the software upgrade, I was
getting these
errors with Software ver 3.0.14
(651) - Your modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.
(692) - Hardware failure in port or attached device.

Any help or suggestions please contact me.
Rick Digatono
Wide Area Network Administrator
[email-masked]
952-943-4260

____________________________________________________________________________
__
First message from: 4-12-01
I am having a problem with the Total Control 1000 and using it as a dialout
modem server and could use some help or suggestions. 

I am using the Total Control 1000 with the 96port modem cards. Right now I
have 4 T1's plugged into it for testing, but will soon switch to the DS3
ingress card. I have setup modem pools in a round-robin configuration and a
network service for dialout. I am then using Dialout/IP by Tactical Software
to connect to the 3Com Total Control and dialout. 

The issue I have is that roughly 20% of the time I get a modem error from
the software, saying that a modem is unavailable and/or communication error
with the modem. I have tried everything I can on the PC side, such as
different modem INF files, compression settings, checking the DialOut/IP
software, etc.. Everything seems fine on that side.

3Com is telling me that everything is configured correctly on the Total
Control. Yet just today I witnessed the HiperArc reboot on its own.

The firmware and system software versions are:

Router Card hardware ver 20.0.0 Software Ver 5.1.99
DSP Multi Span Nac Hardware ver 0.2.0 Software Ver 3.0.14

Does anyone have any suggestions what else to try or do? 

As a side note, I have a number of the quad racks setup for this with no
problem. Although its not using the HiperArc instead its using the physical
serial connections. Its just on the newer Total Control 1000 that I have
problems... 

Tom Schmidt
Network Operations Manager
[email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.