Subject: Re: (usr-tc) ISPCon/3Com Open Meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:19:35 +0000

-> Alot of times its just customer reps there though.........they should send
-> more execs and engineers to those things.

But those folks feel this kind of stuff in their wallets.  I suspect it would
get some folks attention.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:28:55 +0000

Thus spake Jeff Binkley

>get some folks attention.

The problem being...I think the sales reps (for the most part, at
least...at least for those of us who have talked to them) already agree
with us and are (to some degree or other) already fighting our fight
along with us.  Unfortunately, they apparently aren't listened to much
either.  :/

I think its time to start putting together the Top 10 Gripe List - Round
2.  I believe Brian Feeny compiled this last time...I'll certainly defer
if he wishes to do so again, but if he's not interested in taking this
project on, I'll volunteer to compile and write it up.  Let's see if we
can have this thing ready for ISPCON.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Allen Marsalis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:53:19 +0000

>can have this thing ready for ISPCON.

Actually I compiled it last time.  After realizing the constant effort
that went into it, I decided to create some smartpages that would
compile the info consistently and automatically.  I called these pages
"TC Watcher" and posted the url here (http://www.shreve.net/tcs )
The site has been 90% complete for about a year now..  No one seems
to really like/use it so I never put in the effort to polish the site..
If I remember right, really the only thing left was the unresolved
issues list (a broken link) that compiled report for all the data 
put into the database by users (or was supposed to)..  I never got much
feedback on it..

In any event, I am willing to go ahead and finish it out if a few
people believe it to be worthwhile idea...  I haven't checked it out
in many months and I don't think it's been used in a long while.

I'm open to suggestions for improvement, otherwise I just need to go
"the last mile" with it and finish that one query (the unresolved
issues report).

I really don't mind supporting our efforts for quality product and
service from 3com, however I don't want to waste my time if it's
a lame concept or implemenation..  From my experience, maintaining 
"the list" with all the signatures is more work that it appears
to be by hand, at least over and over by one person..

Allen Marsalis

--------------------------------------------------------
Allen Marsalis (AM1543)         ShreveNet, Inc.
President/CEO                   333 Texas St. Suite 175
http://www.shreve.net           Shreveport, LA  71106
[email-masked]                   (318)222-2NET x102
--------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:11:12 +0000

Thus spake Allen Marsalis
>Actually I compiled it last time.  

Ah...ok...couldn't remember who it was...certainly didn't intend to
steal your thunder.  :)

>After realizing the constant effort that went into it, I decided to
>create some smartpages that would compile the info consistently and
>automatically.  I called these pages "TC Watcher" and posted the url
>here (http://www.shreve.net/tcs )

Yup...I've still my bookmark for it...still check it periodically, but,
yeah...its been pretty stagnant.

I do see the TCWatcher type of thing being a useful tool (just getting
the critical mass to get it going and keep it going is the trick ;), but
I also see it being orthoganal to the (apparently periodic) need for a
Gripe List or the like.  Certainly the TCWatcher would be a good tool
for compiling a Gripe List, but I think a Gripe List would best be "hand
written" each time.  Quite a lot of work, but I think the payoff is
worth it.

Like I said...I'd certainly be willing to put the effort into putting
this one together.  I've been looking for a chance to put my
newly-formed SGML skillz to work...this would fit the bill.  ;)

>in many months and I don't think it's been used in a long while.

Well...as soon as our T3 comes back up (lovely UU.Net), and I have
bandwidth to spare again and it wouldn't be totally painful for me to
visit sites off our network, I'll head over there and put in some of the
issues that we currently have.  Certainly, TCWatcher would at least be a
good base to start a new Gripe List from.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:17:50 +0000

> 2.  I believe Brian Feeny compiled this last time...I'll certainly defer

It was actually Allen Marsalis............He assembled a database system
for this, so that as gripes are added they can be prioritized and
essentially it could construct the gripe list on the fly..........I
believe the system still exists.

> can have this thing ready for ISPCON.

that would be nice to have it ready by ISPcon.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Allen Marsalis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:58:41 +0000

>Ah...ok...couldn't remember who it was...certainly didn't intend to

well...  I'm sure Brian helped me a lot..  He deserves more thunder
on this list that I do overall for sure..  I'm just a lowly president
who is concerned by the overall picture of things..  And I still
lurk..  8-)

>yeah...its been pretty stagnant.

Well I see two problems perhaps..  first, it came about soon after
the original list and it was just to early to pick up again..  Also
I posted it too soon before completion in an effort to determine if
it was good/bad, and also to get data pouring in while I completed it..

>written" each time.  Quite a lot of work, but I think the payoff is

nod..  It might be a good tool for a manual report..  I just remember
all the list chatter saying "add me too" sort of thing..  It really
was time consuming monitoring the list and updating the report several
times a day...

>newly-formed SGML skillz to work...this would fit the bill.  ;)

well just let me know if there is anything I can offer or do..
I don't mind completing the project in addition to you doing
the report..  I really don't want to do the report again, evident
by my work on tcwatcher.. 8-)

>good base to start a new Gripe List from.

yeah I'll also give it another push..  I know it needs an option to
email forgotten passwords and that sort of thing..  Also the main
purpose was to compile a list.  It's the main link and I never finished
it.. (always have the best/hardest for last)

Allen

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:08:43 +0000

>by my work on tcwatcher.. 8-)

Heh...I can certainly understand your point.  I'll definitely put my
$.02 for seeing TCWatcher get some more functionality and
attention...that could very easily turn into a really good resource,
like I said, regardless of the Gripe List thing.  :)

>it.. (always have the best/hardest for last)

Heh...I appreciate that for sure...

I'll start working on some text for a Gripe List or something...nothing
may come of it, but I can play with it and maybe something useful will
come out of it.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-