Subject: (usr-tc) Local Out of Service on 5.x.x HARC branch

From: Donald Baud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:30:20 +0000

I am trying to move to the 5.x.x Hiper Arc code branch but for some reason
The DSP's running in the same chassis start to show Local Out Of Service on
one or two channels after a few days of service.
The chassis is configured as a regular IP only dial-in service.

Here are my observations:
- The issue happens with all recent DSP codes (up to 2.1.9)
- The issue happens with all Hiper ARC 5.x.x (up to 5.1.99-8 including
5.0.x)
- The issue does NOT happen with Hiper Arc 4.2.x (up to 4.2.78)
- The issue happened with DMS100 and 5ESS switches connected to the DSPs
- I am running PRI with no NFAS (i.e 23 channels + D channel)
- The issue does NOT affect the PRI T1/E1 Quad Modems
- I tried NMC and HiperNMC without any difference
- In all my tests I was running ospf
- I have tried 64Megs and 128Megs HiperArc cards
- I made sure to enable ppp offloading
- the issue happens with chassis of 2 DSP's up to 10 DSPs

When the problem happens I get the Service state 8 on TCM.  If I busy/Unbusy
the DSP card the channels lock out and show a "Remote Out Of Service"
message and the PRI channels can nolonger be busied/unbusied until I reboot
the DSP card. I usually also reboot the HiperArc just in case.

I refuse to think that this is related to telco because I have been able to
repeat the issue with two different PRI providers with two different
switches. And the issue happens only with HiperArc 5.x.x (never with 4.2.x)

Donald

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:54:35 +0000

Hello.. Hei thanks for the help before.., really  change my internal ip
network, and now my Tc is working in a ip pool, without problem..

But i have a new question....
Okss..
Sometime ago, i hemember see in 3com something about the Update the TC v34
analog  modems to 56k. ( long long time ago, beta version i think)..
but now i cant see thiss...
A lot of peoples say to me, that only digital modems have or user the v90 x2
protocol.. but i have couriers modem from 3com, analog 56k v90 and x2.. (
humm i think that in TC use modems like courier....and to TC modempool have
this update..)
why the Netserver no?
How i do this??

Pleasee. some help??

thankss

-

---

From: mark ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:22:02 +0000

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

Hi
If you want to support x2/v90 then you must have an x2 enable key in
your netserver card. If you dont have one you will have to buy one, try
this link
To Join: mailto:[email-masked]

It will work with either the digital modems or the digital/analog
modems. I don't think it will work with the analog only modems, I have
never even seen a analog only modem. Also for the v90 to work you must
have a T-1 card in the t/c box and you t-1 line must be connected to the
digital side of your local Centeral office, A line side connection will
not work...

I hope this helps

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:28:18 +0000

I have the same setup minus the OSPF without issue on DMS100 switches (ARC
5.1.99-8 - 128M, DSP 2.1.9).

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Baud" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 6:23 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Local Out of Service on 5.x.x HARC branch

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:52:25 +0000

> The chassis is configured as a regular IP only dial-in service.

I just found one of my channels in this state, it was channel 1 of a 
.49 hardware, 2.1.9 software card.

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Donald Baud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:49:50 +0000

I have tried all kinds of DSP cards .49 .51 and .53
At this point, I am suspecting ospf being the cause of this since Marshall
Morgan says he does not see this behaviour on a non ospf hiperarc setup.
If anyone is running ospf without any problems, let me know so I don't start
converting to RIP for nothing.

One other observation:
- Once a channel is stuck in LocalOutOfService, any further call beyond that
channel on the PRI gives a fast busy signal

Donald

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:01:52 +0000

Also sprach Donald Baud
>I have tried all kinds of DSP cards .49 .51 and .53 At this point, I am
>suspecting ospf being the cause of this since Marshall Morgan says he
>does not see this behaviour on a non ospf hiperarc setup.  If anyone is
>running ospf without any problems, let me know so I don't start

I find it hard to believe that much of anything on the Arc could be
causing channels to be going to LocalOutOfService.  Do you have any
autoresponse stuff set up on the NMC?  That's the only thing I can think
of there.

>One other observation:
>- Once a channel is stuck in LocalOutOfService, any further call beyond
>that channel on the PRI gives a fast busy signal

Sounds like you're running NI-2 translation on it.  NI-2 doesn't have
service message, so the switch doesn't know the channel is
LocalOutOfService, so it keeps sending calls down that channel.  The DSP
does the only thing it knows to do and rejects the call resulting in the
fast busy.  Switch to a custom-5ESS or custom-DMS100 (or whatever switch
type your telco has) and you should be able to get service messages and
get the behaviour you're expecting here (LocalOutOfService channels get
skipped)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Donald Baud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:11:59 +0000

Hello,

- I have tried several NMCs (including HiperNMC) none of them had anything
customised other than the snmp community strings.  BTW, I do have chassis
awareness enabled on the HARC.

- I had suspected in the past an NI-2 issue but how do you explain that when
I "manually" busy out a channel, the switch skips the channel correctly ?
It is only when the DSP locks into LOOS that I get a fast busy.

- One thing I forgot to mention is that some dial-in users (very few) get a
Radius Attribute of Tunnel-Server-Endpoint.  In other words, the HiperArc is
acting as a LAC for an L2TP tunnel.  This is probably unrelated but at this
point I am suspecting anything...

- One of 3com tech support did acknowledge the issue a while ago, he sent me
a special HARC code (5.0.81) but it did not fix the problem. He suggested I
go back to 4.2.73
I'm just curious on what exactly is causing this behaviour

Donald

>---- Original message ----------------

-