Subject: RE: [USR-TC] NFAS and Qwest

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:47:37 +0000

Randy,

>From my experiences with NFAS, it is pretty easy to setup, as long as
your Telco knows how to do it properly.  The only thing that I do not
really like with NFAS is that you need to have at least 3 or 4 PRIs to
make it worth the trouble.  The reason being, you can have 2 PRIs running
NFAS with only 1 D channel, but what happens when that D channel goes
out?  You loose BOTH PRIs.  Ahhh, not to good.  So, then you would want
to have a backup D channel.  So, that would put it at 2 PRIs.  Still not
really saving anything, but when you go to 3 PRI then you get 1 channel
back. 

Depending on how many PRIs you have coming into your POP should determine
if you want to run NFAS.  Most of the features you get with a PRI you can
order with a Channelized T1.  The best feature you would get is the 64K
ISDN, but then you also loose a channel.  

I would say if you were going to get at least 3 PRIs, and Qwest knows
how to setup NFAS, get it.  But, if your only getting like 2 PRIs, do 
not bother!

Hope that helps!

Brian Smith 
CCNA, NCSA
Network Support Engineer
SOLUSERVE
       www.solunet.com
1571 Robert J. Conlan Blvd., Suite 110
Palm Bay, FL  32905
(888)449-5766
fax: (321)-676-1287

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Cosby [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 1:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] NFAS and Qwest

Qwest is going to be offering PRI in one of our service areas soon.  We
have always used chan-t1 on our total controls up to now.  I've read
through some of the comments about the hassle of coordinating NFAS with
the phone company.   If we can convert our lines to PRI, we really don't
save much money unless we can run NFAS.  Has anyone had experience with
Qwest and NFAS?  Is it worth the hassle?

Randy Cosby
Vice President
InfoWest, Inc.

P: 435-674-0165 x 11
F: 435-674-9654

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc