Subject: (usr-tc) oid for harc cpu usage

From: Dwayne Varey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:56:53 +0000

Is there an oid in the new release of code to find the cpu usage of the
Harc?

 ________________________________________________
 Dwayne Varey
 Systems Administrator
 WestNet - WA's Statewide Internet Provider
 Phone: 92182600 - Fax: 92182666
 http://www.wn.com.au
 _________________________________________________

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:11:32 +0000

historically sho cpu utilization has been broke.  On both ARC's I have
4.1.59 and sho cpu util are 0% (with 250+ calls on it!)

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 02:37:28 +0000

> 4.1.59 and sho cpu util are 0% (with 250+ calls on it!)
No - show cpu is not broken.  It shows 0% with 250+ calls is normal.  The HiPer 
arc is designed to show the CPU utilization only when it reaches the level of 
calls/flash updates/route tables and any other routing related activity exceeds 
the bench mark.  Which basically means you will see show cpu activity 
instantaneously if you do a save all and do a show cpu at that instance.

What it is that being a embaded system, the HiPer arc CPU is always being 
utilized, so they have a bench mark, once you exceed the bench mark the cpu 
utilization shows.  Typically for normal call volumes you will not see any cpu 
utilization, do a lot of l2tp, cleartcp, pptp, calls you will see some 
utilization.  

-V

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 04:26:26 +0000

So it's just named poorly?

>From you explination.. as long as the last 3 values are 0 then the CPU is
just not above some threshold set in flash.... OK, next question:  what's
that value?  Or is it safe to say that as long as the values are 0 it's
just nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 05:23:06 +0000

Since nobody ever answered the original question about the OID,
here's an MRTG entry...

Target[foo]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.3.1.13.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.429.4.3.1.14.0:public@foo
MaxBytes[foo]: 100
Title[foo]: CPU usage on HiPer ARC foo
Options[foo]: gauge
YLegend[foo]: percent cpu
ShortLegend[foo]: percent cpu
LegendI[foo]: &nbsp;1-min:
LegendO[foo]: &nbsp;5-min:

And yeah, most of the time it just graphs zero because it's reporting only
"above average" usage or something similar -- but occasionally it will
graph some spikes when you get really busy.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Dialup/ADSL/ISDN/T1 Internet access for Frankfort KY and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: Seth Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 05:40:07 +0000

My TC unit is sending an error message ("Relocation User") to my RADIUS
server.  The error message is:

(Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:17:38 Relocation User jneeley from port 4 to 1
due to ClassID: 84f6
(Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:20:56 Relocation User porsh from port 4 to 2
due to ClassID: 84c9
(Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:25:26 Relocation User amendoza from port 4 to 3
due to ClassID: 84f7

Can anyone tell me what this means, if it's anything I should be concerned
about, and how I can find out more about it?

Thanks.

Seth

-

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:54:06 +0000

> So it's just named poorly?
Not its not, you have to have a base line for the CPU utilization and it could 
have been nice if they showed the minimun cpu utilization as some percentage 
rather than showing 0.

> just nothing to worry about?
What you need to look at is what is the instantaneous utilzation, last hour, 
last min and last day.  There is no issue for the CPU to run 100% at any given 
instance but if for the last hour you see it being used 100% that is an 
indication of too much processing.  I do not have an answer for the exact save 
value - if I come across I will let you know

V

> > > > Is there an oid in the new release of code to find the cpu usage
> of
> > > the
> > > > Harc?
> > > > 

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:55:20 +0000

> (Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:17:38 Relocation User jneeley from port 4

Looks more like radius trying to tell you about some ID.  What radius server do 
you have and what version of ARC code?  Also 
if you can get a mon radius for this packet that could help

-v

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: Seth Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 04:55:50 +0000

Veda,

We're using Vircom RADIUS and software version 4.2.32 on the HyperArc.  I
contacted Vircom and they say that the RADIUS server is simply reporting
what it's being told by the RAS.

Seth

----- Original Message -----
From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; Seth Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Relocation User

-

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:45:53 +0000

> what it's being told by the RAS.
What we would need is on the HiPer arc you can do a mon radius, this has 
options to capture the data that is sent out to the radius server and vice 
versa, you have to capture that and compare to what you see - My guess you have 
a vendor specific attribute that is not being properlly interpreted by the 
radius server

-V

> > > (Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:17:38 Relocation User jneeley from port
> 4
> > > to 1
> > > due to ClassID: 84f6
> >
> > > (Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:20:56 Relocation User porsh from port 4
> to
> > > 2
> > > due to ClassID: 84c9
> > > (Radius  :01857) 9/5/2000 21:25:26 Relocation User amendoza from
> port 4
> > > to 3
> > > due to ClassID: 84f7
> > >

===========

-V

==========

-