Subject: (usr-tc) Soft busy on HDM

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:31:18 +0000

Hi all,

I'm having problems with soft busying HiperDSP cards.  It seems that
even when I perform the soft busy on every channel, calls are still
able to come in on that card.  Is there something that I am missing
on this concept?  Could it be in any way related to the switch type?
I'm using INS1500.

HDM -> 1.2.5
HARC -> 4.1.59

Thanks

das

-- 
______________________________________________
Alex Substanley     Exodus Communications K.K.
  		    Engineering Department
Das Man             TEL: 81-3-5334-1700
Systems Engineer    FAX: 81-3-5334-1711
______________________________________________

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Buzz Gould <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:47:45 +0000

After you hit the execute button, do you wait until every channel on the 
card shows "Success" in the result column?  If you hit the close button 
before you get a success back for each channel, the command will fail and 
you will get calls on some of the channels.

>on this concept?  Could it be in any way related to the switch type?

Buzz Gould
Information Systems Engineer
Rural Connections - a OneMain.com Company
www.rconnect.com
507 847-2700 Ext. 6119
[email-masked]

-

---

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:34:31 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I do wait.  I have tried the command 
several times but to no avail.  It's frustrating to have a command 
that I know would be extremely useful, but no able to implement.

das

-

---

From: Christopher Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 01:02:33 +0000

When I need to busy out a time span on a T1, I do a hard busy as I was told
that the CO can override a soft busy. Since I do not want any traffic to
come in while flashing, I'm told, I always do this.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Berry
rof.net Web Design and Technical Support
(970) 945-4920 x17

----- Original Message -----
From: "D A Substanley" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2000 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Soft busy on HDM

-

---

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 02:23:33 +0000

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the response.  When you do a hard busy on the span, does that 
immediately disconnect all of the users currently connected to that card,
or is it friendlier?
Thanks

das

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 02:42:56 +0000

It boots them all off very quickly.

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

Thanks, Greg Coffey                     <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications V 307-234-5443 F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center #100, Casper, WY  82601        www.vcn.com

-

---

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 02:48:32 +0000

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I was hoping for something that would
keep my customers a little happier.  Any ideas?  Or any other responses
to my original problem of not being able to do soft busy outs?
Thanks

das

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:19:10 +0000

Are you running PRI or Channelized T1?

If PRI, this probably has a lot to do with the switch type.  On the DMS100
we're on, I've never seen calls come into a card that's had all the
channels soft-busied.  Just set the card to soft-busy, flash the new code,
wait for everyone to log out, then reboot the card.  Voila.  It's supposed
to work the same on a 5ESS.  On INS1500 things could be different, I
guess...

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-

---

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:38:24 +0000

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I'm using PRI.  I have had two cards soft busied for 
about three days with no change.  Customers are still logging in happily, so it
must be something to do with the switch type.  Unfortunately, I have no access
to any kind of support over here as 3Com Japan won't give me the time of day. 
<sigh>

Thanks for the help!

das

-

---

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:18:50 +0000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, D A Substanley wrote:

> When you do a hard busy on the span, does that 

Immediate disconnect. That's the difference between a soft busy and a
hard busy.

Hard Busy: Issues a local-out-of-service message to the switch, dropping
           the call in progress and preventing any more from coming in.

Soft Busy: Queues a local-out-of-service message, to be executed when
           the current call finishes. I don't know if it's the HDSP that
           queues it or if it's sent to the switch and it queues it.

If the soft busy isn't working, does a hard busy work? If not, the telco
switch isn't listening to you.

When you do a soft busy, check it (with TCM) by going selecting the Span
and clicking Performance. Then check Timeslot and select the one(s) you
did a soft busy on. Then hit Default (for the Parameters in the Function
Group 'DS0 Statistics').

If there's a call in progress, the 'DS0 Service State' should be
'inService', and the 'Queued Action for DS0' should be
'localOutOfService'. When the call terminates, the 'DS0 Service State'
should go to 'localOutOfService' and the 'Queued Action...' should go
to 'none'.

If it does that properly, and is still taking calls, we're back to
the switch not listening to you. A hard busy probably won't work
either.

If it doesn't do that properly, whether it's the switch or the HDSP
depends on who's supposed to be doing the queueing (switch or DSP).
[I dunno. Maybe someone does and will respond to this].

This reminds me of one of my pet peeves.  I wish there was a way to
mark a MODEM out of service (instead of a span timeslot). I.E, tell
the HDSP to never assign a call to a given modem (it'd mean the same
thing as a busyout if call selection was fixed, but if you were using
round-robin, you could still terminate a full PRI's worth of calls
even if you had a stuck modem). I'm just annoyed that modem #24 never
gets any calls because I gotta use fixed assignment because it's the
only way to skip the occasional stuck modem. </rant>

-

---

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:29:26 +0000

Thanks!  Great information!
Thanks, Lon.

das

-

---

From: Kevin Benton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:52:03 +0000

> come in while flashing, I'm told, I always do this.

The difference between a hard busy and a soft busy out is how soon the
line is made busy.  With soft busy, the card is "soft core" and waits till
the user logs off before making the channel busy.  With hard busy, the
card is real "hard core" and knocks anyone off that's logged onto the
channel in reference immediately, no questions asked, then makes the
channel busy.  I haven't come across anyone ever saying that the telco can
command the CPE to drop busy state.  It would be a real surprise to me if
that were true.

Kevin Benton

E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Web:     http://users.sota-oh.com/~s1kevin/
Unsolicited advertisements processing fee: $50 subject to change without notice

-

---

From: Kevin Benton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:52:25 +0000

> to any kind of support over here as 3Com Japan won't give me the time of day. 

What kind of switch are you running to?  Is it configured for custom or
national mode?  We made the mistake of allowing our telco to talk us into
allowing them to set the switch into national mode on our lines.  BIG
MISTAKE!  The 5ESS configuration for National Mode didn't communicate CPE
Busy Out statuses correctly.  Our customers would get fast busy a lot
until we figured it out and had them put it back into Custom mode.
Sheesh!

Good luck on your issue.  BTW, 3Com NC's have been a great help when I
couldn't get hold of a good tech. (even when I do have a support
contract).  If you need more information, contact your 3Com Sales Rep and
ask them to have your NC give you a call.

Kevin

E-Mail:  [email-masked]

-

---

From: D A Substanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:17:38 +0000

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response.  I'm running to a switch type of INS1500 (Japan standard)
which always makes things touch and go as that is not what everyone else is using
on this list.  The other problem is, of course, that I don't have a 3Com sales rep.
The one we had they transferred, and since we were told by 3Com that we weren't 
important to them, they never gave us a new one. <sigh> 
If it weren't for the hardware...

das

-