Subject: [USR-TC] Hiper Arc reboot, NMC Hub LED red

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 20:26:48 +0000

Hello List,

I have an interesting problem here,

I have two chassis, each with 8 DSP's, 1 ARC, and 1 HiperNMC.

I have two spare ARC's, one is 5.2.9 and the other is 5.3.2

If I insert either ARC in either chassis the following will happen:

The ARC (viewing via console) will get to "Initializing Flash Device" and 
pause, then start the "loading Kernel" process over and over, at this point 
the NMC LED goes red and stays red until I pull the ARC from the chassis.

I have a 3rd chassis with just a power supply, no DSP or NMC card in it, if 
I put either (or both) ARC's in it they will boot fine.

What the heck is going on here?

- Mike

------------------------------------------------
Rock Island Communications, Inc.  (360)-378-5884
http://www.rockisland.com/  San Juan Islands, WA
------------------------------------------------

---

From: Todd Bertolozzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 20:41:28 +0000

Just some advice on what I would do:

First....I like 4.2.32 for arc code.  I don't have much experience with code
beyond that until we get our v.92 upgrade. But...I would still use the same
code on all the arc's.  Don't mix arc code when the arc's are installed in
the same chassis.

Second....I would look and see whether or not nmc chassis awareness is
enabled on the questionable arc's as well as the arc's you already having in
service. You want to be on the same page as far as that goes.

Third....could be possible that there is some sort of bus problems on the
chassis's.  Seems unlikely though seeing that you have 2 different chassis
that this occurs on.

Fourth....highlight the nmc that gets the red led and go to
performance...failure reasons....what's that say?

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Mike Greene
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 4:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] Hiper Arc reboot, NMC Hub LED red

Hello List,

- Mike

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 20:57:38 +0000

>code on all the arc's.  Don't mix arc code when the arc's are installed in

One of the chassis's has 5.2.9 on it, and it has the same effect on the 
spare ARC with 5.2.9

>service. You want to be on the same page as far as that goes.

Disabled on the ARC, however I've had 2nd ARC's in the chassis before with 
no ill effects, you do need to disable NMC Awareness on one arc though 
otherwise strange things happen.

>chassis's.  Seems unlikely though seeing that you have 2 different chassis

My thought originally, but on both chassis?  One is brand new too, seems to 
be a communication problem with the NMC, because the chassis without the 
NMC the ARC's boot just fine, even with both in the spare chassis.

>performance...failure reasons....what's that say?

managementBusFailure(6)

3COM knowledge base is useless, I've searched high and low on there for any 
clues.

- Mike

---

From: V <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 00:45:18 +0000

That's interesting, what happens when you insert the ARC without the NMC?
and what version of NMC do you have?

-V

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:12:44 +0000

>and what version of NMC do you have?

Both ARC's boot fine in the 3rd chassis without the NMC card.  On one 
chassis I have NMC code 6.2.17 and the other I have 8.3.7, both are HiperNMC's

My goal is to have both active chassis running:

DSP 3.1.7
ARC 5.2.9
NMC 8.3.7

On either NMC I get "managementBusFailure(6)" which by 3COM KB means the 
NMC failed to communicate with either a NIC or NAC in the chassis, however 
being a SOLID red LED it would indicate a critical chassis alarm, not a 
minor alarm event.

Very puzzling!

- Mike

---

From: Patrick Ndegwa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:36:40 +0000

Hi there.

I have an USR Total Control Chassis with a Hiper DSP Card (ver 2.1.9), Hiper
ARC Card (5.0.9) and an NMC (6.0.9).

The problem is that the Hiper ARC is unable to see the Hiper DSP Card (shows
chassis slot is empty). I have tried different combinations of chassis slots
with no good result. I have even tried to change the chassis with no
positive results either.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions on how
to solve the problem. Interestingly enough, using TCM, I am able to
recognize both the Hiper ARC card and the Hiper DSP.

Cheers,

Patrick Ndegwa,
Technical Operations,
UUNET Kenya Ltd.
Tel: +254 2 690 88000
Fax: +254 2 690 88001
http://www.uunet.co.ke

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.360 / Virus Database: 199 - Release Date: 5/7/2002

---

From: V <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 20:10:03 +0000

Do you have static or dynamic mapping?  If its static you would have to tell
the HiPer arc which slot the hiper arc is present and how many ports it has.
If its dynamic, you have to enable nmc chassis awareness.

One question though, you should be able to get this "standard" mapping
configuration that UUNET uses here in US. I believe they use static
configuration.

-V

---

From: V <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 02:13:19 +0000

Generally having the NMC Hub led red means you have a communication problem
on the bus, but it is not bad.
Some old versions of the NMC had this issue where they report the hub status
red but in reality it was a problem in the old version of the NMC code.
What bothers me is that you stated that the HiPer arc if plugged into the
chassis does not boot, that is a problem.

Generally if you see the boot prompt stop at the Kernel loading area - it
could be one of the these

a.  The terminal program you are using has an issue
            Fix - Put the dip switch 5 on the arc on the ON position

b.  The HiPer arc is in a reboot mode
            Fix - Rare - most likely a hardware issue.

-V

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Greene" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Hiper Arc reboot, NMC Hub LED red

> > > I have a 3rd chassis with just a power supply, no DSP or NMC card in
it,
> >if

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:26:03 +0000

>             Fix - Put the dip switch 5 on the arc on the ON position

Yes this is a strange problem.

Considering the ARC's boot fine in the chassis without the NMC and I'm able 
to communicate with the ARC via console no problem, but then have this hang 
& reboot problem in a chassis with the NMC with the same console setup is 
very strange.

I'll try the Dip switch 5 thing, but I would think if this was the problem 
it would always be a problem, not just when the arc is in a chassis with an 
NMC card in it.

>             Fix - Rare - most likely a hardware issue.

I doubt this is what is going on, considering the ARC does boot fine when 
inserted into a chassis w/o NMC.

I'm stumped, I'm going to try and swap the NIC's between the two NAC's I 
have and see if there is any thing going on there.

The crazy part is one of these ARC's was just upgraded from 3COM to be V.92 
ready, and that ARC (Before sending it to 3COM) was working fine in one of 
the older chassis, the reason it was sent back was to get the DRAM chip 
upgraded to 16MB and a new 128MB memory stick installed.

- Mike

---

From: V <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 02:28:27 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Greene" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Hiper Arc reboot, NMC Hub LED red
> upgraded to 16MB and a new 128MB memory stick installed.
If that is the case, I will call 3Com and tell them that this problem is
happening after the upgrade. They sure should be able to help you out.  Call
them and let them know, if you run into issues let me know.

V