Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Config for Dual BRI Cisco to TC

From: "Verreault, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:12:21 +0000

Thanks for the input.
I am on the right track. I just need help with the "mojos"...
I've got 1 BRI multilinking perfectly, need some help from someone who has
this working for 2 or knows the Cisco config parameters

Thanks

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Mcadams [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 11:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Config for Dual BRI Cisco to TC

Also sprach Verreault, John
> I am trying to get a cisco 4000 with 2 BRI interfaces to connect to a
>Total Control Chassis.  (I am not sure if you can MPP over both BRI's,
>if not I would settle for MPP for each BRI and load balance over the 2
>multilinked BRI's)
 
There should be no problem with multi-linking two BRI's together for a
256kbps connection.  There's no theoretical limit to the number of
channels you can link together...though there are definitely practical
limits.  :)

>I am having some problems with the second BRI. I cannot get a stable
>connection.
 
>I am assigning the BRI interface a static IP and specifying the route
>with radius.
 
OK...I don't have much Cisco dial mojo, but you seem to be going wrong
on the concepts here.  If you're running multi-link over 4 channels (2
channels per BRI, 2 BRIs), then you probably shouldn't be giving an IP
address to a specific BRI.  You should have some sort of "virtual"
interface or suchlike that the BRIs would be attached to in some way,
you would give the IP address to the "virtual" interface (maybe a dialer
interface?  like I said...I don't know Cisco dial well at all).  Then,
when you get both BRIs assigned/attached to this "virtual" interface
(whatever it may be called), then it *should* multi-link across the BRIs
with no problem.

There's nothing inherent about multi-link that makes it only function
within an individual line (BRI).  In fact, you can run multi-link across
multiple modems, across multiple T1's, even, theoretically, across
multiple L2TP or PPTP connections if you *really* wanted.

>Should the second interface have the same static IP address or a
>different one.
 
The second BRI, like the first, shouldn't have an IP address itself at
all most likely.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:16:26 +0000

"ppp multilink" is one of the magic words.  When I used a Cisco 804 at
home, I remember I had to put "ppp multilink" on both the BRI0 and the
Dialer1 interface for it to be happy.  Here's the abbreviated bits of one
of my old 804 configs:

map-class dialer DialerClass1
interface BRI0
  no ip address
  encaps ppp
  ppp multilink
  dialer pool-member 1
interface Dialer1
  ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
     (or ip unnumbered ethernet0 if you're doing it that way)
  encaps ppp
  ppp multilink
  dialer string 5551212 class DialerClass1
  dialer idle-timeout 600
  ppp pap sent-username blah blah blah...

(I was dialing into another 804, not a Total Control, but for at least the
multilink setup that shouldn't matter.)

The Cisco dialer stuff is kinda voodoo-ish to me still; I mostly pulled
this out of the Cisco 804 manual, Dejanews postings, and CCO searches...
it worked so I left it.  Then I got DSL and I don't need the 804 anymore.  
Anyone wanna buy it? :)

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-