Subject: (usr-tc) HiPer DSP failure, suggestions?

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 01:40:39 +0000

If anyone has guesses as to the cause, let me know.

BACKGROUND:  HiPer DSP was handling a full call load from a PRI circuit
causing approxmately 10 minutes of severely errored seconds per 24 hour
window.  I should mention all the other PRIs at the POP are having local
loop problems.  Card was maintained under 75 degrees.

PROBLEM:  Remotely booted TC by placing DSPs in local-out, disconnecting
DSP calls, taking DSPs out of service, taking ARC out of service, issued
soft reset on NMC.  The card in question did not come back up then or
after reseating the card.  Reseating the card results in the "rainbow"
test pattern, then later stops with a red Run/ail light, an orange 40%
light, and the below console output with no keyboard response:

  SDL2 for the PPC403

  Flash image has valid CRC, Loading Image

  Dignostic Power-Up Failure
    Manufacturing Info  ->  1AAA13M0
              Mode/Env  ->  1/0
            Fault Code  ->  0-8-25-1
         Expected Data  ->  f01c1f28
         Received Data  ->  e01c1f28
          Text Message  ->  Address Equals Data Test Failure
          Info Message  ->  Second read failed.  Hard error indicated.

Reality probablely is that the card is hosed.  I'm more interested in the
why.  Since it is not even limping along, I'm up for any exotic ideas.

---

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 02:07:53 +0000

Looks like a bad rom chip?  A bit in the fist byte seems to be off (e =
1110 wheres f = 1111 ).

If the diags are telling the truth.

If you have a VERY small soldering iron you might fix it.. :)

-- 
Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 16:44:02 +0000

Yesterday we moved our TC chassis into our new offices. Aside from the
different scenery it's now exposed to, the only change is that our new
location is fiber fed. Today we've gotten a rash of phone calls from users
experiencing problems connecting. Usually a good cleaning of network
settings(deleting multiple adaptors, etc) takes care of it, but these are
all customers who rarely had problems up until now. We're coming off of the
same switch as before, but is there anything different in fiber feeds that
I might need to account for in my chassis setup?
Total Control chassis;
ARC:  4.2.32
DSP:  2.0.51/2.0.81

Thanks,

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 20:01:40 +0000

Hmm.  Like something is fused or polerized wrong in the ROM? Since the
schematics and new ROMs are probablely kept under 3COM lock and key, not
likely to be fixed.  :)

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:05:17 +0000

Look for the transistor with the crater marks around it! :)

-- 
Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mike Wilker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:28:12 +0000

One of my DSP recently developed that problem, however issuing a Hard Reset
will bring it back to an operational state.  I'm still watching to see if
there are any issues with it's operation, but haven't seen any so far.

Mike Wilker
Director of Network Operations
Tiger Communications
   DBA Local Link USA, Globaleyes Comm, Protocom

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 6:35 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) HiPer DSP failure, suggestions?

  SDL2 for the PPC403

---

-

-