Subject: (usr-tc) Netgear woes

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 06:18:51 +0000

Anyone else have trouble with Netgear external ISDN TA's? I have a customer
who, most of the time, can't even get a single B channel to setup, let alone
authenticate. Got them on the latest firmware. Nothing.

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Ronald Kushner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 06:24:12 +0000

> authenticate. Got them on the latest firmware. Nothing.

I have Netgear ISDN routers, like the RT-328 and RH-348 and they both
work fine to my HiPer setups.

Do they make a TA?

-Ron
GLISnet, Inc.
+1 810/939.9885

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 08:42:01 +0000

We use the routers extensively, but in the one case where we attempted to
use the TA it failed. NetGear tech support had no explanation for the
difference. We lost the customer to an Ascend based ISP because they
wouldn't let us change out the modem. We stronlgy discourage consideration
of this device.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 11:16 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Netgear woes

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 18:43:58 +0000

We have 1 Netgear 328 and it works fine.  The line will drop
occassionally, but nothing major.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 20:25:22 +0000

I should clarify my previous statement. The Netgear routers work great
(RT328 and RT338), but the Netgear ISDN modem sucks bilge water.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2000 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Netgear woes

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 02:20:40 +0000

I have a question regarding BGP - Yes TC does not do BGP.

Here is what I am looking for:

I am looking for some program/source code or script that would help us
calculate AS number.  Given a network number (i.e 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0) 
return BGP AS number.  

Any ideas or suggestings

Thanks

- V

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:17:40 +0000

> I have a question regarding BGP - Yes TC does not do BGP.

Then why are you asking on this list?

Actually, I have a C program to do exactlty that.  It requires
root to run, and I can only send you an executable since it's
propritary.  What architecture and OS are you running? I'll email you the
excutable directly.

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:25:09 +0000

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Aaron Nabil wrote:
  . . .

Oops, sorry, that was intended as a private reply.  

-a

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:51:11 +0000

There's a version of traceroute that'll give the ASN for each hop -- try
digging through the source code for that to get what you want.  All it
really does, I think, is do a 'whois' query against whois.ripe.net though.

ftp://ftp.nikhef.nl/pub/network/traceroute_991603.tar.Z

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: "D. Randy Cosby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:58:47 +0000

There is another program that may be of interest to you at http://proximate.appliedtheory.com/ .  It's a
reference "BGP Path length server" that determines the shortest path based on AS of 2 or more 
ip addresses.  

-

---

From: Sam Lowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 05:08:38 +0000

I need to change the default route on one of my TC chassis.  I tried the
command: SET IP DEF GATE x.x.x.x met 1
and it returns an error stating it failed because the item is not in the
table.  The new address is in the same subnet as the old address.  Any
ideas?

Sam Lowe
MIS Director
UniversalCom, Inc.
Get Connected...

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:23:40 +0000

Also sprach Sam Lowe
>I need to change the default route on one of my TC chassis.  I tried
>the command: SET IP DEF GATE x.x.x.x met 1 and it returns an error
>stating it failed because the item is not in the table.  The new
>address is in the same subnet as the old address.  Any ideas?

Try deleting the default gateway that's there and adding the new one as
distinct steps rather than trying to just change the one that's there.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Sam Lowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:12:21 +0000

Thanks.  Tried to delete the original default route and could do that, but
once I deleted it, I couldn't put it or the new address back.  Good thing I
didn't save it first.  I get/got the same message about not being being in
the table.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2000 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Default route

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:42:02 +0000

I think you can do this by ADDING the new route first and then
deleting the old one... We have done this several times!

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite Q
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 19:20:46 +0000

> ftp://ftp.nikhef.nl/pub/network/traceroute_991603.tar.Z

Thanks Mike - I will give it a try

-V

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 19:21:20 +0000

Quoting "D. Randy Cosby" <[email-masked]>:

> There is another program that may be of interest to you at
> http://proximate.appliedtheory.com/ .  It's a

Thanks - Will try this one out too.

Krish

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:54:40 +0000

Also sprach Sam Lowe
>didn't save it first.  I get/got the same message about not being being in

The next-hop for the route must be reachable...it sounds like it may not
be.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:23:29 +0000

> propritary.  What architecture and OS are you running? I'll email you

Hi Aaron,

Can I get a binary of this program,  I do have Sun Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD 
operating systems.  Ofcourse do have NT also but would prefer any of *NIX
flavors.

thanks

-V

-