Subject: (usr-tc) Modem Transmit Level

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:24:08 +0000

I'm trying to work on why PC-Tel modems suck connecting to our 
TC hub. I have a Compaq laptop with a PC-Tel built in. From home, 
I cannot even pass data to get authenticated unless I use an init 
string to turn off v.90. From the office, which is located in the same 
building as the telephone switch (we're an independent phone 
company), I get connected at 49k and can stay connected for 
hours at a time.

Is it possible that increasing the modem transmit level could 
improve performance over the phone lines? Is there any chance this 
could interfere with other modems' connections? What is the 
optimal setting for transmit level? Should I be looking at a different 
setting?

Wow, lots of questions, I know.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:57:32 +0000

Also sprach Wayne Barber
>Is it possible that increasing the modem transmit level could improve
>performance over the phone lines? Is there any chance this could
>interfere with other modems' connections? What is the optimal setting
>for transmit level? Should I be looking at a different setting?

Yes, but its also possible that *lowering* the transmit level would
improve your connection.

Go forth and experiment. :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-