Subject: (usr-tc) Pipe 75 + Static IP + NAT

From: Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:42:55 +0000

I'm trying to hook up a Pipe 75 with a Static IP and NAT enabled to a
HiPerARC chassis.. When I disable the NAT on the Pipe, it connects, when I
enable it, it won't connect..  The pipe has been dialing into a Livingston
PM2e up until now, and when I modify the remote address and the phone
number to have it dial to our TC equipment, it won't do it.  I've gone and
disabled things such as STAC and all other compressions..  I did set the
Pipe to MP with BACP=Yes.

Please let me know if you guys have had any success, and if you've got
success, let me know how I can have it too *chuckle*

Thanks in advance!

-- 
Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet <http://www.alpha1.net>
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x5645C228

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Chad Scheiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:16:30 +0000

> success, let me know how I can have it too *chuckle*

Do you have the LAN Adrs, WAN Alias, or IF Adrs defined?  I left those blank
and assign the static IP from radius. Otherwise you have to set reported IP
on the TC to correspond with the LAN Adrs.  You should be able to just define
the WAN Alias but I couldn't even get that to work between two ascends. What
is mon ppp outputting?

-

---

From: "Lon R. Stockton, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:17:52 +0000

If you're running older versions of the TC software (as I am), BACP won't
work (or at least, I can't make it work). Early on, one of my customers
asked for a recommendation and I told 'em to buy the Ascend PL75 and
then found that out. The choice is to 1) upgrade TC software [I think],
2) turn off BACP on the Ascend and tell it to either use just one channel
or both of 'em with MP.

For reference, I'm running Harc 4.0.30 and Hdsp 1.2.5. I'm going to
upgrade after the upgrade is such that it fixes things and doesn't just
trade my current problems for a new batch of problems. This software
load I'm running only seems to have problems with older Rockwell stuff,
and most of those are fixed by upgrading the client modems' code (or
telling the customer they've been duped into buying a crap modem).
...other than that, everything's stable...no webtv problems, incredibly
infrequent hung-modem problems, or any of the other issues that seem
to be terrorizing others on the list here. Even current 3com Sportsters
are speedy (to include a current thread *grin*).

Telling a new customer that they need to upgrade their modem's software
or maybe consider a decent modem is hard, but easier than explaining
to an existing customer that they can't connect anymore or get a good
speed because I "upgraded". [/rant]

As for ISDN lan stuff, nowadays I recommend the smaller offices to use
the 3com LANmodem or bigger places to use the Cisco 800-series. LANmodem
blazingly easy to set up, and although I'd never claim a Cisco was easy
to set up, after they're configured they run like, umm, a Cisco. Turn
out the lights and shut the closet for a couple years.

Lon

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 21:06:16 +0000

on p50's you can't leave the lan adrs blank, it doesn't get it dynamically
from the connection like p75's do, at least thats my experience.

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-