Subject: (usr-tc) WTB Analog/Digital Modems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:25:05 +0000

I need to buy 15-18 analog quad modems nic/mac for a pop.
Please respond privately.
thanks
eric

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:06:31 +0000

I just noticed today a large number of channels locked out on 3 modem
cards.  One of them had all but the last one and a D-channel left 
enabled!  The others were 1/3 to 1/2 dead, all the modems locked out
in pairs.   This has probably been going on a while, but since we
reboot everything on Sundays, I just happened to be looking at these
chassis late enough in the week to see the problem today.

Just now having access to TCM and looking at the inventory, I can see that
the problem is happening on only (and all) of our hw 0.54.0 rev DSP
cards.  We are running 2.0.51 software.  All our other cards are rev .49
and .53, none of which seem to be having this problem.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a cure?  I can swap out these three
cards with spares, but I have these and another 6 cards (in a new, as of
yet unused chassis) at that rev, throwing them out isn't an option.

thx,

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:53:19 +0000

Aaron,

Although I am sure you do this already, I am still in the habit the USR guru
David recommended years ago.  When flashing new cards, make sure to set
factory defaults, save to NVRAM then make whatever changes are necessary for
your environment.   We do this religiously and are using 0.54.0 cards without
issue.

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc. (aka NETDOOR)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Aaron Nabil
> Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 4:22 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: (usr-tc) HiperDSP rev 0.54.0 modem lockouts
>
>

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:56:58 +0000

> your environment.   We do this religiously and are using 0.54.0 cards without

Yes, I always restore defaults from NVRAM for the modems and t1, save,
reset, then configure.  This is probably easier for me than most people
since I have a custom SNMP tool to configure the chassis in bulk.

I think it's worth mentioning that had someone asked me yesterday, I
would have said that we were using 0.54 cards without issue also.  I only
noticed it because one of the cards had virtually no calls on it when the
rest of the chassis was full.

Is it possible you disabled the busy-out code either manually, or by using
something other than fixed-assignment?  Or that you are running sw
other than 2.0.51?   Or, like me, you just hadn't noticed?  (You can use
the session monitor on the individual timeslots and look for 
out-of-service channels. 

Thanks,

Aaron 

Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:14:09 +0000

> Yes, I always restore defaults from NVRAM for the modems and t1, save,

Uh, defaults from _factory_, of course.  It's early here.

Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:47:20 +0000

> the session monitor on the individual timeslots and look for

Nope.  Running 2.0.51/PRI Service with 5ESS Switches (3 different sites) and all
of them are taking calls to 100% (middle of a hunt group).  All channels are
inService and have time on each modem.

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:21:59 +0000

I have a customer with an Aztech MDP3900 that is not connecting to our TC 
hub.  Anyone run into problems with this and have any ideas?  It's in a new 
Dell PC she just bought.  It keeps telling her the modem is not answering.

Thanks, Greg Coffey                               <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications  V 307-234-5443    F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center Suite #100, Casper, WY  82601    www.vcn.com
_________________________________________________________
Fight spam now!
Get your free anti-spam service at http://www.brightmail.com

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 02:56:19 +0000

They are horrbile modems.  You would think DELL would put in good stuff.
I had a customer not able to connect to either a 33.6 POP or the 56K POP.

Our solution was offer them a temp USR Sportster.. the promptly went out
and bought one.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:15:30 +0000

You would think that Dell, Gateway, Compaq and most of the rest would put a 
decent modem in but they all seem to be using HCF and other junk.  She has 
talked to Dell and of course they tell her the modem is fine and to call us 
back.  Will Dell replace the modem with another model if she complains loud 
enough?  We've tried the 3 commas, init strings and other tricks but 
nothing seems to want to make this thing work with either a PM3 or TC hub.

Thanks,

Greg Coffey, Visionary Communications  V 307-234-5443  F 307-234-5446
=====================================================================
100 N. Center St. #100, Casper, WY  82601     WWW.VCN.COM

__________________________________________________________
Fight spam now!
Get your free anti-spam service at http://www.brightmail.com

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:31:17 +0000

> chassis late enough in the week to see the problem today.

you actually reboot everything routinely (tc hubs)?  Do others do this?
Whats the man reason (i know i know, clear all the bugs!)

> yet unused chassis) at that rev, throwing them out isn't an option.

I am amazed at these hardware revisions.  What did they change in hardware
from .53 to .54...........I mean what was broken, that so badly needed to
be re-engineered?  And how did that hardware change create all these
probelms.  

> thx,

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:38:51 +0000

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Brian wrote:
> you actually reboot everything routinely (tc hubs)?  . . .

Just our TCs and Maxes. 

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Jamie Orzechowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:16:59 +0000

we were alerted by source technology that .54 rev's had a bug in them and
3Com sent us some beta code which fixed the problem.  I think it had
something to do with timing ... I flashed the beta code and my .54 problems
stopped.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Nabil" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperDSP rev 0.54.0 modem lockouts

-

---

From: Netadmin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:53:17 +0000

Yes, I am getting complaints from the same series modem unable to connect to
our TC or Nortel product. It basically says the modem will not answer. If
anyone finds a cure for it let me know.

Cheryl Johnson || Network Administrator
SEI Data Network Services, Inc.
SEI Communications

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Aztech MDP3900 Modem

> > > hub.  Anyone run into problems with this and have any ideas?  It's in
a
> > new

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:26:53 +0000

I talked to my customer on Saturday and informed her of what I found on the 
Dell support site.  Must have been 30 messages or so about the modem and 
only one had anything good to say about it.  Dell apparently is now 
replacing the modem but you have to threaten to return the whole 
unit.  Some have been working for months trying to resolve it.  We never 
were able to get it to connect to either a PM3 or TC unit.

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:55:57 +0000

I swapped out the 3 .54 cards with some older rev ones, and within a day
two of them were missing some channels, argh!  I guess it's not the NACs.

I had forgotten about the NIC's, they were still the ones that came with
the .54 cards (rev d), so I swapped them out with older ones (rev c),
we'll see what that does.

Question for anyone:  Does the NIC contain any non-volatile storage?  For
example, if you set a UI password, does the password follow the NIC or the
NAC?

Thanks,

--
Aaron Nabil

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:54:05 +0000

I just got my hands on a couple of used chassis with dual PRI cards 
installed.  Is there any way to flash/configure these to accept a 
channelized T1 instead?  Everything we are running here is CT1.  Would 
appreciate a quick reply, we are trying to get one online today.

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:00:56 +0000

> appreciate a quick reply, we are trying to get one online today.

Yes, just download the CT1 code and flash that instead.  They can accept
either code.

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:02:23 +0000

Thus spake Greg Coffey
>appreciate a quick reply, we are trying to get one online today.

Sure...those cards will run the chan-t1 code just fine...do your normal
flash upgrade process in TCM, but use the pull down menu to pick the
chan-t1 nac and sdl code...it'll try to get the dual-pri code by
default, you'll have to tell it to use the chan-t1...flash it to it and
it should work fine.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:58:06 +0000

We are looking at buying a TNT Max unit.  It will replace some 3Com Total 
Control units and a couple of Portmaster 3 units.  We don't have any 
experience with these to date and wondered if any of you might share what 
your experience has been comparing the different types of dialup 
servers.  What is the support like, the compatibility of the modems, etc?

Our prime interest is that we will be getting lines via SS7 signaling and 
we understand the Max units can deal with that pretty easily.

Thanks,

-