Subject: (usr-tc) Arc 4.2.32-1 vs 4.1.22

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 01:29:08 +0000

Hello,

Anyone care to elaborate on the differences you've seen between these
two?  I'm currently way back at 4.1.72.

Are some of the early Mac ppp problems fixed as of this version?  I've
decided to go ahead with DSP 2.0.51 in hopes that it fixes the most
compatibility issues, but I'm torn between the ARC releases.  I don't want
something flakey, but 3Com does seem to be pushing it by sticking it in
TCS 3.6 as the only arc code in that bundle.

I would very much like to deal with OSPF rather than RIP.  What other fun
things can I expect here?

Thanks,

Charles

-- 
=-----------------=                                        = 
| Charles Sprickman                       Internet Channel |
| INCH System Administration Team         (212)243-5200    |
| [email-masked]                          [email-masked]  |
=                                         =----------------=

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:08:45 +0000

Thus spake Charles Sprickman

>TCS 3.6 as the only arc code in that bundle.

Well, keep in mind that the TCS releases are somewhat amorphous.  :)
The same DSP code in 3.5 is also in 3.6.  The only thing new in TCS 3.6
was the HiPer Arc code, so basically TCS 3.5 and TCS 3.6 are pretty much
completely interoperable.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  :)

>things can I expect here?

I wouldn't use OSPF...its still pretty rough...if in doubt, head on over
to usr-tc.1st.net (Thanks Ed!  great to have the searchability again!)
and look for Mike Andrews posts about his problems.  Depending on how
your network is layed out, it might not bite you, but I'm still staying
away from OSPF until it and the routing code is cleaned up a bit.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:29:26 +0000

> Well, keep in mind that the TCS releases are somewhat amorphous.  :)

I see what you mean.  I spent a few hours digging around totalservice...

> completely interoperable.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  :)

The "unresolved issues" list is much shorter under 4.2.32-1, but then
again 4.1.22 was just released and this 4.2.32 release is from way back in
September.  I'm just trying to get a handle on what I can load and run
with for at least a good 6 months...  4.1.72 has treated me fairly well,
with all the chassis running at about 340 days of uptime.

> away from OSPF until it and the routing code is cleaned up a bit.

I simply want to use it for announcing routes for static IP users.  The
Relnotes on 4.2.32 mention a setting that should force the ARC to never
become a DR, and that may fix the problems Mike had (at least in my
application).

Any thoughts on which has the most interoperable PPP code?  I remember
some issues with Macs and WebTV units that weren't modem related (unless
it was in the PPP offloading)...

Thanks,

Charles 

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:36:44 +0000

> become a DR, and that may fix the problems Mike had (at least in my

It doesn't.  I'm using OSPF for more or less what you want to use it for.
The problem I had was that there was a static route in my network that
overlapped the subnet that the ARC was on, and it messed up the ARC's idea
of what its netmask was.  It's kinda serious, but at the same time, not
something tons of people will run into.  DR selection doesn't really enter
into it... though the ARCs should never become one in my network now.

Despite the problems I'm actually still running 4.2.32 anyway...  I have
workarounds for the serious problems in place, and I *really* don't want
to go back and reconfigure RIPv2 on everything.  (It's kinda a lesser of
two evils thing.)

> it was in the PPP offloading)...

WebTV problems were limited to the original 4.1.x release, and the ER that
came out about a week later fixed that, if I remember right.  FreePPP on
the Mac I'm not sure of the current status...  it might still be glitchy.
Most of our Mac people are on Open Transport PPP now anyway.  OT comes
with every Y2K compliant version of MacOS except for 7.5.5 anyway...

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-