Subject: (usr-tc) Radius Effects...

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:30:09 +0000

While we're all talking about Radius, we currently send the following
attributes to our TC for our default user:

Framed-IPAddress = 255.255.255.254
Framed-Routing = None

We recently signed up with Ziplink for wholesale nationwide dialup. A lot of
their equipment is Bay. They claim that when the Bay receives these
attributes, it chokes. It allows the connection, and the modem connect speed
is fine, but throughput is horrible. Over 50% of the packets drop, and after
a few minutes, the call will drop. They say we need to remove these
attributes from the Radius profile we send. Huh? Bay doesn't like these 2
*basic* attributes? They also said they don't like 'Port-limit=1', but I am
NOT removing that one. For this one, they state that they have trouble with
the Bay doing 128K ISDN anyway, so removing the attribute will have no
effect. Double "huh?"

My question is, what effect will this have on our local dialup customers
connecting to our TC? Will the TC happily work without receiving those 2
attributes? We are currently not running RIP on the TC (we are small, so
everything is static) - but we plan on enabling RIPv2 shortly. Will the TC
start sending RIP updates to the dialup clients without the
Framed-Routing=none attribute set?

They also have some Max's out there, but a good portion of it's Bay. I don't
know of any way to have my Radius server send a different profile to their
proxy, so it has to be the same one I send to my TC.

Sorry for what might seem a stupid question - not real up to speed on RIP
and exactly what the framed-routing attribute does.

-Scot
NJAccess

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:56:16 +0000

Scot,

Sounds like the Bay (or the Bay technician) is broken.  However, the
workaround you've sugested, should work fine.  Simply define the default
user's IP address and routing protocol (=none) on the ARC.  This template
will be applied to the user in place of attributes not actually sent.

There is a way to prescribe different attributes for different NAS-Types,
but it may require some RADIUS hacking.  And most likely, this will
require changes on the proxy server, as well.  The best bet would be to
correct the Bay NAS.

Dominic

-

---

From: Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:03:48 +0000

Umm, let's see, we've also got some Bay 5399's running R16.0 software on
ROM Revision 1115..  We're sending port-limit=1 to all customers, no
problems.  We've got 128K ISDN connecting, no problems.

Can't speak from the Framed-Routing deal, but we are delegating static
IP's with Framed-IP-Address and blocks with Framed-IP-Route.

Runs like a champ -- I usually forget how to use it because I never have
to log into the box. =]

-- 
Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet <http://www.alpha1.net>
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x5645C228

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 02:28:30 +0000

I'm going to try dropping the attributes and see what happens. Not thrilled
about it, but let's see if that fixes it...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 12:54 PM
To: 3COM List
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Radius Effects...

Scot,

Dominic

-

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 02:31:48 +0000

I have no idea what hardware and software rev's they are on, but there is
definitely something wrong when I connect, and when I described the problem
to their "Unix Administrator" they knew exactly what was wrong and told me
to drop the attributes.

I could not *believe* how bad the connection was. Packets dropping
everywhere, traces timing out, it was a nightmare, and definitely made me
wonder if I made the right decision signing up with them.

-Scot

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Marius Strom
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 1:00 PM
To: 3COM List
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Radius Effects...

-

-