Subject: [USR-TC] Alltel + Nortel DMS10 + NI2 + problems

From: FIRST NOC TC Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:40:06 +0000

Currently we have a 3com Chassis at a remote POP serving customers 
in Alltel-land.  This is a pretty remote place, and so Alltel is 
only using a DMS-10.  They have provisioned our circuits NI2 - 
Despite my asking for them to provide Custom settings, they will 
not do so - claiming that their switch does not have the 
capabilities to do so (or that their policy doesnt allow for 
Custom).

NMC 7.1.8
HiperARC 4.1.26
DSP 2.1.9

The PRIs are FAS, NI2.

Right now we have three of these PRIs in this area.  I can't keep 
any three of them operating at the same time.  I'm used to running 
everything with 5ESS Custom settings rather than NI2.  It will 
fill the first two cards in the hunt up and then bail on the 
third - an alarm will come on on the third one, and then I"ll have 
to resort to some ridiculous reset scheme in order to get all 
three circuits back up and green.... Then, when customers fill up 
1 and 2 and get to PRI #3, it'll happen all over again.

I also am not able to adequately take individual DS0s out of 
service like I am on the other equipment.

Is there anything I can do on my end to make up for the fact that 
I'm forced to use NI2 and not have service messages?  I'm just 
wondering if there is a workaround (or better configuration) that 
will allow me to manage this remote dialup chassis a little better 
and use all available circuits without these types of problems.

I'm also interested if I should be able to demand Custom rather 
than NI2 - I think Alltel once told me that their tariff does not 
allow for Custom or something to that effect.  Is this baloney?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Tindor
FIRST Internet

________________________________________________________________
 1st.net

---

From: Jason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:13:29 +0000

We had similar problems in a small town with a DMS10 switch.
There is a setting from the console at the DSP which disables
service messages.  We also asked if they (Sprint) could enable service
messages, since it's very difficult to manage problem modems/dsp's
if we can't busy out DS0's.  They of course told us no, and they
would not even consider enabling that feature until more people
wanted it.  So we are SOL.  However since I have disabled service
messages I have not had 1 DSP crash.

At the console of the DSP type:
'chdev span'
'set servicemsg disable'
'cmd svspcfg'

--
That last command will save the config to NVRAM.
Also, if you try and busy out a DS0, or send some type of
service message the DMS10 will probably puke, and cause
that DSP to crash (at least that is what happened to us)
Hope this helps!!!

At 01:41 PM 3/26/2002, you wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>USR-TC mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

************************
Jason Watkins
I-Land NOC
[email-masked]
************************

---

From: Seth Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:42:04 +0000

I was getting ready to upgrade the software on our TC but all this talk
about downgrading is making me reconsider.

We're just about to do the following upgrades:

HiperNMC: from 6.2.17 to 8.6.3
HiperArc: from 2.3.32 to 5.3.2
HiperDSP: from 2.1.19 to 2.1.9, and then to 3.1.7

Should I postpone this upgrade?  Are alot of people having problems with
these code levels?  Are there other code combinations that are "safer"?

Seth