Subject: Re: (usr-tc) What Modem Ratio do you use?

From: Greg owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:48:42 +0000

>I have a session limit at 6 hours.  It's gets the lazy people and the
>kiddies who just like to have a connection up.  Some do complian.. but
>they quickly quiet down when I point out the service agreement they signed
>(and read.. hahahahha)

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

Same here...We have a 30 min idle out and 6 hour session limit. In 2 1/2 years I think we have had 2 or 3 complaints. We also say unlimited and usually limit it to 400 hrs. I think maybe after reading some of these post we might consider changeing our wording to flatrate...might avoid a big arguement somwhere down the line.

Greg Owens
Magnolia Internet Services
http://www.magnolia-net.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:57:44 +0000

We also limit our calls to 6 hours and idle time to 30 mins.  We
also incorporate a SOFT LIMIT for when our ports fillup.  It is based on
number of modems avail, I think it is set to 6 and if anyone is over the
soft limit when there only become 5 avail, they are quietly logged out.
This is a great feature, especially since the "soft-limit" is set at 4
hours!

  We use TSMon to handle all of this and out multiple logins too!  It
works great!  We also limit hours to 450/mo.

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite R3
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

> http://www.magnolia-net.com 

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:29:13 +0000

Sounds like what we have, except our call limit is 12 hours, the soft
limit is 4 hours, idle time 30 minutes, and when things fill up, the first
people to get killed are the people who haven't paid their bill on time --
regardless of whether they've hit the soft limit or not.  They are emailed
about why, too.  Next up are the free/nonprofit accounts, then the soft
limit is applied to paying customers who have hit the soft limit, starting
with the user on the longest.  All of this constantly checks the
threshold, so if things are full and killing the delinquent payers frees
up enough lines, it never moves on to the line hogs.

Users who go over about 350 hours a month are emailed a warning with a
pointer to our AUP, but there is no hard limit on hours.  Lots of them are
people who just forget to log out, or actually don't know where the
'disconnect' button is... :)

Billing (and the late payer killer) is all homebrew Perl scripts, with
MySQL on the backend, and a combo of Perl and a homebrew MS Access 97 app
on the frontend depending on what you want to do.  (i.e. entering checks
is in Access, adding/deleting accounts is in Perl.)

By the way, if anyone's got Access 2000 and MySQL talking to each other,
email me off-list; I've got some weird issues I can't track down easily
that are keeping us from upgrading...

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-