Subject: (usr-tc) NMC gone silent

From: Jeremy Shaffner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:23:23 +0000

About a week ago, one of our NMC stopped responding, both to SNMP and to
ICMP pings.  Yet the HARC indicates that the NMC has at least gotten the
SNMP requests:

HiPer>> show nmc status

NMC STATUS
Last NMC Query was received at:    14-MAR-2000 12:12:11  

Is there anyway to get it running again without having to drive out to
powercycle or reseat it?

Thanks,

---
Jeremy Shaffner
System Administrator
JORSM Internet
[email-masked]
http://www.jorsm.com/~jer/pgp.key

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:30:06 +0000

Thus spake Jeremy Shaffner

>Last NMC Query was received at:    14-MAR-2000 12:12:11  

Actually...this has nothing to do with SNMP requests to the NMC.  This
has to do with the NMC sending chassis awareness queries over the
management bus to the Arc.  This *does* indicate that the NMC is at
least minimally functional...but does not indicate anything about the
network connectivity of the NMC.

It sounds like your NMC has lost all ability to communicate via its
ethernet...not much to do other than head out there to power cycle.  :/
Fortunately, none of this should be disruptive to your service.

Have you tried pinging the NMC from the local subnet?  Maybe from the
Arc?  Is it possible that the NMC has just lost its default gateway
setting?  I wouldn't hold out much hope for this, but the possibility
exists.  Not that this helps you much...but it would be another
indication to the functionality of the NMC as it exists currently.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-