Subject: (usr-tc) reconfig running HiPer

From: Ray Bagby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:43:47 +0000

Greetings,
    I've been running for almost 3 years with the same config and now I needed to change all the IP numbers.
    I was able to use a combination of HARM and the console connection to the HiPer Arc to get the IP changed on the Arc and the IP pool changed but the problem I'm having is with the NMC. I changed the user interface information on the NMC in the TCM and clicked the Set button but after changing the IP on the NT box where I run TCM and the accounting stuff I can't ping the NMC and can't bring it up on TCM. If I change the IP on the NT box back I can see the NMC using TCM and the information I put in there is still there. I haven't been able to console into the NMC either. Do you use the same cable that you console into the HiPer Arc with?
    Thanks for anyhelp,
    Ray

---

From: Jonathan Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 06:18:29 +0000

Ray Bagby ([email-masked]) wrote:

> I changed the user interface information on the NMC in the TCM and
> clicked the Set button but after changing the IP on the NT box where
> I run TCM and the accounting stuff I can't ping the NMC and can't bring
> it up on TCM. If I change the IP on the NT box back I can see the NMC using
>  TCM and the information I put in there is still there.

Do you mean you can't ping it or see it in TCM on the old address or
the new address?  It sounds like you mean that you have changed the 
IP on the NMC but it still answers to the old IP.  Is that correct?
Does it still do this if you reboot the NMC (be sure to save the
NVRAM first, from the File menu in TCM).

> I haven't been able to console into the NMC either. Do you use the
> same cable that you console into the HiPer Arc with?

Yes, but the speed will be different.  The speed on the NMC can
be anything from 9600 to 57600, selectable by the DIP switches
on the NMC NAC.  Set switches 1 and 2 to off for 9600, on
for 57600.  I recommend 57600; it works much better if you ever have
to flash the NMC over the console port :-)

It sounds like you are in the same location as the chassis, 
so it would be worth pulling the NMC NAC out to check.  The
DIP switches are very near the bottom front of the card, just
behind the face plate.  If switches 1 and 2 aren't set to on,
switch them to on, then make a 57600 console connection.

HTH,

Jonathan Byrne, CCNA                            Network Engineer
Exodus Communications, K.K.                     Engineering Division
http://www.exodus.co.jp/                        http://www.gol.com/

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.