Subject: (usr-tc) bad ports

From: Brian Burgmeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:10:29 +0000

We have several bad ports on one of our hiper arch cards.
slot:15/mod:5,9 and 10 never pick up.  I've tried resetting the
card but no luck.  When people hit these ports they get no answer.
What is the command to busy out these ports so people roll over
to the next available port?  Is it possible to fix these cards or
do I just need to send them into 3com?

Thanks- Brian

slot:15/mod:1   jennifer                    DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:17:40
slot:15/mod:2   pcroft                      DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:43:58
slot:15/mod:3   paulb                       DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:15:06
slot:15/mod:4   azred                       DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:44:21
slot:15/mod:6   mcrenaud                    DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
22:35:51
slot:15/mod:7   angelo                      DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:04:51
slot:15/mod:8   maverick                    DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
22:00:06
slot:15/mod:11  bjsjim                      DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:01:27
slot:15/mod:12  bishopc                     DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:55:44
slot:15/mod:13  jen                         DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:58:08
slot:15/mod:14  busch                       DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
09:54:00
slot:15/mod:15  arin                        DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:21:50
slot:15/mod:16  bass398                     DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:48:21
slot:15/mod:17  cabrams                     DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
08:09:42
slot:15/mod:18  jprice                      DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
06:49:30
slot:15/mod:19  chucha6                     DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:00:33
slot:15/mod:20  viking                      DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:33:39
slot:15/mod:21  shameem                     DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
21:40:34
slot:15/mod:22  bbonilla                    DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
21:53:36
slot:15/mod:23  jamesr                      DIALIN PPP  27-SEP-2000
23:30:25
slot:15/mod:24  numbski

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mailing List Reader <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:20:14 +0000

Any one using the HiPerARC NICs with the WAN ports for POP-in-a-Box or other
uses?

-

---

From: Mike Wilker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:24:37 +0000

Brian, when you dial in and hit one of those bad modems, do you just get
dead air?  Did the problem coincide with any software upgrades on your
chassis?

Mike Wilker
Director of Network Operations
Local Link USA & Protocol Communications

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Burgmeier" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 3:04 AM
Subject: (usr-tc) bad ports

-

---

From: Brian Burgmeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 02:22:11 +0000

Mike,

The last time we did a software upgrade was over a year ago.  All we
get when we hit the bad modem is dead air.  I rebooted the chassis and as
people logged back on they filled up mod 24, then 22,23, 20, 21, 19, 18, 17,

16,15,14,13,12,11 and when it the card got to mod 10 all I could hear was
dead air when I called with a phone.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks- Brian

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 05:11:24 +0000

>dead air when I called with a phone.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what's causing the problem since resetting the card isn't
fixing it. Here's how to bypass them till you get it figured out;
 Through TCM, highlight the top lights of the card, then go to
configure...actions/commands. Select the "Timeslot" radio button and
highlight the modem numbers you want to busy. Then use the "software/soft
busy out" command.

HTH
-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000        http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Nicolas St-Pierre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:47:34 +0000

I am using the Quad T1 NIC with a T1 backhaul to a Cisco 2610 in a test
environment, works fine so far.

Nicolas

--
Nicolas St-Pierre
Systems Engineer
Internet Access Solutions Ltd.
Tel (416) 621-7255
Fax (416) 621-3509

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:18:44 +0000

>highlight the modem numbers you want to busy. Then use the "software/soft

No guarantees, but I've sometimes had ports that didn't spring back to
life on resetting the card, but did with a software reset of the port.  Go
figure.  Through TCM, highlight the bottom lights (the 0-100%
utilization ones).  Choose "Configure|Actions/Commands".  Select the
modem(s) in question and send them the "software reset" command.  

Good luck
David

-

---

From: Valantine Nchemty Nyenty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:52:48 +0000

I also have more than 13 digital/analog quad modem ports that are bad.
When customers dial and fall on these ports the line rings indefinitely
and does not pick up. I am also interested in knowing what to do.

Also, I have been facing a problem whereby, customers dial in , are
authenticated successfully but can't access any web page. I would like to
know if any body has faced this before and what to do to remedy it

Thanks for your contribution.

Valantine

-

---

From: Richard Ham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 14:06:59 +0000

>know if any body has faced this before and what to do to remedy it

Only Windows2000 clients with LCP extensions and sofware compression options
ticked. Some w98 clients also reported this, but not in any consistent
pattern.

Regards,

Richard

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:51:51 +0000

> and does not pick up. I am also interested in knowing what to do.

What happens if you go into TCM and do the "software reset, restore from
defaults, save to nvram, software reset" sequence?  After one of my ARC
upgrades, I found that over time most of my quads would get "stuck", and I
have to go through and do this on all the hung modems weekly...

> know if any body has faced this before and what to do to remedy it

Do you see this primarily with macs?  We've had a number of complaints
like this, but only on macs...

Charles

-

---

From: Valantine Nchemty Nyenty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:49:25 +0000

I received complaints from PCs only. Here very very few people use MACs. Most
often the operating system is Windows 98.
I noticed from one Windows 98 PC on my NOC that a default route from that of
the router adds up in the Windows 98 Routing table (and coincidentally the Ip
address of this new  default route happens to be the IP address assigned to the
Total Control Unit).
Any ideas? I keep receiving this complain from users who get connected but
cannot sur while others are surfing well and this worries me alot.

Thanks for any help.
Valantine

-