Subject: (usr-tc) Quad Modems

From: Lance Eves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:59:12 +0000

Hi all.  I'm looking for a source of info on an old Quad Chassis that I
have laying around.  We have two versions of quads that I've found and the
newer chassis has a Netserver PRI card, a NMC card and a combination of
digital and analog quad modems.  This one I'm OK with.  The other one
takes individual analog lines and has some analog modem cards with QAV34
on the front and some Cisco cards in there too.  This is the one that I'm
looking for info on.  Basically, I'm wondering how the calls are routed
out of the chassis.  I'm assuming that the calls come in to the modem
cards and go out through the Cisco cards to a hub or router.  Does anyone
know anything about these?

Thanks

Lance Eves
KanOkla Communications

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:37:39 +0000

Also sprach Lance Eves
>have laying around.  We have two versions of quads that I've found and
>the newer chassis has a Netserver PRI card, a NMC card and a
>combination of digital and analog quad modems.  This one I'm OK with.
>The other one takes individual analog lines and has some analog modem
>cards with QAV34 on the front and some Cisco cards in there too.  This
>is the one that I'm looking for info on.  Basically, I'm wondering how
>the calls are routed out of the chassis.  I'm assuming that the calls
>come in to the modem cards and go out through the Cisco cards to a hub
>or router.  Does anyone know anything about these?

That sounds like a Cisco AS5100, basically Cisco licensed the original
total control chassis, but instead of a NETServer card, stuck several
AS51's (essentially 2511's in a form factor to fit the TC chassis...only
pulls power from the chassis) in it.

The calls come in on individual analog lines to the modem cards, then
out of the modem cards on the "hydra" serial port at the top of the NIC
card over to the AS51's, which serve as the access server.  Then it
comes out of the AS51's as ethernet, like a normal 2511 would.  I think
it was set up to have 4 analog quad cards connecting to an AS51 (16
ports per AS51), which leaves you room enough for 3 of these combos in a
chassis with an NMC and an extra slot left over.

Electronically, the chassis is fully a TC chassis, so you could take
DSP's and Arcs and such and plug them in and they should work
fine...just keep in mind the limitations of the older chassis in
bandwidth and tdm slots and the like...I think they max out at 5 DSP's.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.