Subject: Re: (usr-tc)Disconnect User Problem

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:08:57 +0000

We use the Vircom Radius product and have very good luck with it not getting
the list out of sync with the chassis's. The new version that I haven't
installed yet moves to snmp for faster performance and better reliability as
indicated by Jeff. We no longer fight the simultaneous login battle, it has
been on automatic for over a year now.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Marius Kirschner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:21:23 +0000

Where can one get Vircom Radius?

---Q

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Mark Thornton
> Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 9:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: (usr-tc)Disconnect User Problem
> 
> 

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 05:51:44 +0000

Mark-

I am using the latest version, and SNMP with HARC on Vircom is troublesome.
They said they have been unable to properly read/control HACR users via
SNMP. I tried this myself for a while. What happens is that it cannot
properly remove a user from it's active user listing using SNMP. I am no
SNMP expert, so I did not fully understand what John at Vircom was
explaining to me. When we first converted to Vircom last month, we had it
enabled and experienced all sorts of active user problems -- most of them in
the form of the infamous port number '-1000', and some of them being Vircom
not knowing they are on at all.

At their recommendation, until they can get proper SNMP info from 3COM and
rectify it, disabling SNMP support was our only option. I have to say thay
it appears to work flawlessly even without SNMP activated.

-Scot

-