Subject: RE: (usr-tc) 3COM

From: Brian Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:43:40 +0000

I agree, it seems like that decision has affected this list negatively.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jeff Mcadams
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 8:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 3COM

Also sprach Lists
>Anyone know if people like Krish are still on this list, or what their
>e-mail might be?

3Com email addresses take the form of [email-masked].

You can reach anyone in the company that way.

I believe Krish is on the list, though not in his official capacity at
3Com.  I'm not sure about others, I suspect Mike Wronski is in the same
situation, but don't know for certain.

Someone in 3Com...oi, they just don't get it...handed down an edict that
the techs were not to participate, or even be subscribed to, usr-tc in
their official capacity.  Gun, foot, bang.  I wish I knew who the person
was that made this decision...or more importantly, that person's
boss...so I could email them using the first bit of information from
this message, letting them know what I think of the decision.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:17:48 +0000

Not to start a flame war, but has 3COM EVER supported it's customers?

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:34:42 +0000

> Not to start a flame war, but has 3COM EVER supported it's customers?

In my most recent problem I have to admit that a couple of 3Com lurkers came
to my rescue offlist. I was having a problem with all of my Arcs' hanging up
after a few days, but it seems no other production facilities on this list
were seeing a similar behaviour. I wish they could post publicly and be
recognized but they can't. I do appreciate that they cared and contacted me
offering suggestions.

As far as 3Com is concerned, several months ago there was some talk to me
about changing the non-hardware replacement support costs. Several days ago
there was additional mention of a possible offering of telephone and code
support independent of hardware support. I am hoping that they will consider
the cost per chassis issue and make it afordable. I understand the linear
increase in price for hardware replacement, but code and tech support
requires a lot less intervention per chassis when they are in groups so the
cost could and should drop significantly for multiple units (starting at
two, not two hundred!).

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:58:55 +0000

Also sprach Paul Farber
>Not to start a flame war, but has 3COM EVER supported it's customers?

Its all a matter of degree.  When you're used to downright pitiful
support, merely bad support is welcome.  :)  Conversely...when you're
used to bad support...anything done to make it even worse is doubly
insulting...first because you couldn't imagine it could get any worse
and it does, and second because you just plain are getting worse support
than previously...

And...I think its about time to say again.  The techs are great...its
the godawful administrative nightmare in getting the support in the
first place that's so incredibly insulting.  Mark mentioned that techs
helped him off-list.  That's about par for the course for them, they go
the extra mile...often even beyond what 3Com would even *allow* them to
do if 3Com knew, let alone what 3Com would encourage them to do.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:00:44 +0000

Also sprach Mark Thornton
>As far as 3Com is concerned, several months ago there was some talk to
>me about changing the non-hardware replacement support costs. Several
>days ago there was additional mention of a possible offering of
>telephone and code support independent of hardware support. I am hoping
>that they will consider the cost per chassis issue and make it
>afordable. I understand the linear increase in price for hardware
>replacement, but code and tech support requires a lot less intervention
>per chassis when they are in groups so the cost could and should drop
>significantly for multiple units (starting at two, not two hundred!).

Indeed...I've caught wind of a bit of this as well...

My response is basically..."about time."

I've only been yelling at them (sometimes literally!) for 3 years to get
a clue in this area.  I'm still not convinced its going to happen...but
we'll see.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:56:14 +0000

> Not to start a flame war, but has 3COM EVER supported it's customers?

no, USR did thought.  And even though alot of us had serious issues and
frustrations, cluefull techs like Mike and Krish were our lifeline to get
us thru these things.  ISP's with millions of dollars invested in 3Com
could find their answers here.  I believe 3com benefitted to, by bringing
talent like senior engineers to the list, the discussions escalated to
very technical and progress was made on all sides.

Brian

> Fax 570-628-5545

-----------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCNP, CCDP       [email-masked]   
Network Administrator	      
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)	      

-