Subject: (usr-tc) HiperDSP Hardware revision 0.55.0

From: System Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:04:08 +0000

Pardon the sarcasm, but I'm on my 16th hour without a break, the day
(morning) before my vacation......
	Receive new chassis - NMC, HARC, x2DSP's.  Receive new x2 DSP's
(DoublePlay).  Swap out old Ascend Max 4048 with new chassis.  I have two
C-T1's in the chassis now, one DSP extra for when the new C-T1 gets there.
Of the three DSP's, only one works reliably, the other two reboot
intermittently.
	Since I have my handy-dandy 3Com support contract, I call the tech line.  I
explain the problem, the tech on call asks what software I have running.  I
reply 2.0.60.  Tech says, "that's good, what hardware revision of DSP's do
you have?"  I reply 0.55.0.  Tech says "Uh-oh".  I get nervous....
	Tech states that there have been problems with HR 0.55.0.  Recommends
switching to the spare card (also 0.55.0).  I do that, and 5 minutes later
the card reboots.  Now I wait until the new cards come in.
	If anyone has any input into this situation, please email me personally,
and cc [email-masked] - he's filling in for me starting tomorrow.
Otherwise, make sure you test those DSP's!!!!

__________________________________
Justin Ellison
System Administrator
InternetUSA
[email-masked]
http://nebi.com
800-603-3502

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:18:57 +0000

Thus spake System Administrator
>(DoublePlay).  Swap out old Ascend Max 4048 with new chassis.  I have
>two C-T1's in the chassis now, one DSP extra for when the new C-T1 gets
>there.  Of the three DSP's, only one works reliably, the other two
>reboot intermittently.

Is there any sort of pattern to when they reboot that you can discern?

>	Since I have my handy-dandy 3Com support contract, I call the tech
>line.  I explain the problem, the tech on call asks what software I
>have running.  I reply 2.0.60.  Tech says, "that's good, what hardware
>revision of DSP's do you have?"  I reply 0.55.0.  Tech says "Uh-oh".  I
>get nervous....

That's always lovely to hear.  :)

>	Tech states that there have been problems with HR 0.55.0.
>Recommends switching to the spare card (also 0.55.0).  I do that, and 5
>minutes later the card reboots.  Now I wait until the new cards come
>in.

>	If anyone has any input into this situation, please email me
>personally, and cc [email-masked] - he's filling in for me starting
>tomorrow.  Otherwise, make sure you test those DSP's!!!!

How about sending to the list as well.  I've got a rev 0.55 card that I
haven't put into production yet that I want to know what to be on the
lookout for, and do I need to get it replaced?

Any word from 3Com on this without having to call tech support?
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: ROC Services <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:47:35 +0000

> Of the three DSP's, only one works reliably, the other two reboot

Same situation here, got 2 cards, HR 0.55.0, which reboot randomly, kick
users off, etc.

The #1 failure mode seems to be accepting a call, and kicking the user
before they even have a chance to send a PPP frame to start
negotiation.  Hardware resetting the card seems to make it work again for
a day or two.

Any troubleshooting measures I should be trying?  I've already reflashed
the code (tried 2.0.81, 2.0.60 and 1.2.37) and defaulted and rebuilt the
config after each code flash.

-

---

From: Jamie Orzechowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:50:17 +0000

I got a call from Source Technology saying that our new (0.55) cards could
be faulty ... they were ... They gave me a fix from 3Com (modfied 2.0.19
code) and the cards are working fine now ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 1999 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperDSP Hardware revision 0.55.0

-

---

From: System Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:52:34 +0000

Got ahold of Ryan at Source Technologies, he emailed me 2.0.19d code.  I
flashed it to all cards with 0.55.0 HR, even the ones that appeared to be
working.  Been one hour, no reboots...  I love vacation!

Justin Ellison
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jamie Orzechowski
Sent: Friday, December 17, 1999 9:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperDSP Hardware revision 0.55.0

----

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:39:30 +0000

>working.  Been one hour, no reboots...  I love vacation!

So much for getting any decent connectivity from Rockwell's though.  :/
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Terry Kennedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:52:06 +0000

Is 2.0.19d newer than 2.0.60?
.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of System
Administrator
Sent: Friday, December 17, 1999 8:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) HiperDSP Hardware revision 0.55.0

Justin Ellison
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----

----

-

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:25:40 +0000

Thus spake Terry Kennedy
>Is 2.0.19d newer than 2.0.60?

I don't have the authoritative word on this...but, yes, I'm pretty sure
it is...I believe 2.0.19d is a brand new code release that they put
together for exactly this situation.  Unfortunately, I believe its built
from the 2.0.19 code base which means that it contains none of the
improvements that 2.0.81 and 2.0.60 brought.

In other words, use non-0.55 spares if you've got 'em...but 2.0.19d
would be a last resort if you don't have spares and need the service up
and running...even if crippled on a sucky code release.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-