Subject: (usr-tc) Rip Routing question

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 06:56:30 +0000

We, like others tried to implement OSPF because it was supposed to be the
holy grail of internal routing as far as 3Com was concerned. I had high
hopes for it because we have occasional lapses in RIP2 propogation to the
Cisco router. By that I mean occasionally the rip routes for a given chassis
just disappear, then reappear after about 20 to 30 minutes. I had to place
static routes to each chassis defining the space containing the assigned ip
address pool to get consistent access for the majority of our clients.
Dedicated ip clients still occasionally experienced the problem until I put
a static route to one of the Arcs for each client. If the RIP was working it
seemed to overide the static route, if not the traffic bounced of the Arc on
to the correct Arc in most cases. 3Com was of abosolutely no help on this
matter while we were under contract, hence no current contract.

I never could get OSPF to work but that is probably because I have never
worked with it before and the docs are a bit thin on application.

Has anyone else experienced RIP problems? I thought it might be someone
stuffing the Cisco with bad routes so I moved to authenticated RIP with no
change in behaviour. I haven't removed the static routes since we got to
4.2.32-1 to see if the problem is still there.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:11:43 +0000

I have no problems with RIPv2 on the ARC's.  Perhaps you can post the
relevent lines of your cisco and arc configs (the rip parts).

Brian

> San Marcos Internet, Inc.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-