Subject: RE: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive

From: "Stainforth, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:22:48 +0000

Have you tried hooking a console up to it and seeing what errors (if any)
appear when you try to boot?  If you've already tried rebooting the card
(ie, pull nac, then nic, reseat nic, then nac) and it's still barfing, the
only other thing you might try is uploading the firmware again.  On a HARC
that might be a long shot though...

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Steve Coleman [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, November 29, 1999 10:07 PM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Cc:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	(usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive
> 
> I powered off my TC chassis tonight to plug it into a new UPS.  When I
> powered it back on, the Run/Fail light on the HiperARC stayed red.  It
> shows up as a "?" in the Total Control Manager.  I tried rebooting the
> unit several times, using several different power sources.  I also tried
> removing the front portion of the card (while powered off) and reinserting
> it.  I can only guess it's cooked.  Is there anything else I can try?
> 
> I would like to express my disgust with 3Com on this matter.  After
> troubleshooting the problem as described above, I called 3Com service.
> They couldn't seem to "find" my service contract that I paid over a
> thousand dollars for, just for this type of incident.  She offered to take
> my credit card and transfer me to a level support agent.  I should be paid
> to have to talk to a level 1 rep, not the other way around.  I told her I
> wasn't interested in doing that and expressed that this was the specific
> and only reason I bought the service contract.  She said she couldn't help
> me.  This piece of garbage is only 4 months old, this is not acceptable.
> Why didn't I just buy another Portmaster.  <kicking myself>
> 
> I'm going to ream my service contract agent in the morning.  Until then
> it's lots of busy signals.
> 
> Suggestions?
> 
> 
> -
>  To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
>  with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
>  For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Michael DeMan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:30:20 +0000

I experienced a similar situation where the HiperARC was dying, but not
dead.  I was able to reload the firmware via the console port and get it
limping along for another day - then it started dying every few hours, and
then went entirely dead.  By then I had a replacement in my hands from 3COM
though.
- mike

----------
>From: "Stainforth, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
>To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive
>Date: Mon, Nov 29, 1999, 6:17 PM
>

-

---

From: Michael DeMan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:17:56 +0000

Hey,

    Well talk about weird shit, I used to work for NeXT and now work for
Apple (via the merger).  So don't get too hyper about mergers wreckin' it
all.  I know far too much about the $zillion dollar support contract racket
from working with NeXT (now called Apple Enterprise Software).  Yeah, signup
a few big boys that pay that rate, and then (what?) expect the market to
bear that rate.  3COM is heading for disaster with this....

    On the other hand, does Lucent actually have anybody left that worked
for Ascend or Livingston?  I mean, somebody that actually understands how
their code runs, how to update it, how to fix it?  It's my take that
merger-mania has left the technology industry worse off than ever.

    If I were in Australia, and knew how to run an ISP, I'd come over to the
US and make $USD100k/yr. hanging out, configuring a few routers, and having
a good time.

----------
>From: "Bob Purdon (Lists)" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiperARC took a dive
>Date: Tue, Nov 30, 1999, 1:00 AM
>

>
>> I nominate Krish at 3com for a raise.  He was kind enough to call me
>> tonight and help me through the problem, even without my service
>> contract #.
>
>Krish is one of the good guys, and unless I'm mistaken, one of the orginal
>USR staff.
>
>USR in Australia were a pleasure to deal with, but once 3COM borged them
>the USR staff mysteriously disappeared...  In fact, I don't believe there
>are *any* of the original USR Australia staff left at 3COM Australia.
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Bob Purdon,                          Ground Floor, Marine Board Building
>Technical Manager (Tas/Vic),                  1 Franklin Wharf, Tas 7000
>Southern Internet Services.                            +61 (3) 6234 7444
>
>
>-

-