Subject: (usr-tc) SNMP question

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:01:45 +0000

Where would I find a list of the SNMP queries the HyperArc will respond to?
I am looking to retrieve a list of current online users.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:42:39 +0000

Also sprach Mark Thornton
>Where would I find a list of the SNMP queries the HyperArc will respond

If you have ucd-snmp tools installed:

snmpwalk -R <archostname> <community> 
snmpwalk -R <archostname> <community> enterprises

Should cover most everything.  Warning though...that's gonna give you
copious output.  :)

>I am looking to retrieve a list of current online users.

Try:
snmpwalk -R <archostname> <community> usrCipUserName
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: David Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:41:53 +0000

I was going to ask the same question today.  I want to retrieve a list of
current online users from the hyperarcs.

This didn't work.  I have a list of all of the mibs and usrCipUserName isn't
in this list.  Where did you find this info?  Have you verified that it
works?  If so could you post more info?

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jeff Mcadams
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 11:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) SNMP question

Try:

-

-

---

From: Brian Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:44:56 +0000

Will that command work in Windows 2000?  Windows NT?

Brian Gordon
Supervisor Of Internet Operations
Westelcom Family of Companies
http://www.westelcom.com
[email-masked]
518.566.6726 Voice
419.831.9137 Fax

"We will exceed our customers' expectations in providing
competitively priced, superior quality, state-of-the-art
communications and information services."
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Hamilton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 12:32 PM
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) SNMP question

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:47:02 +0000

Also sprach David Hamilton
>I was going to ask the same question today.  I want to retrieve a list
>of current online users from the hyperarcs.

>This didn't work.  I have a list of all of the mibs and usrCipUserName
>isn't in this list.  Where did you find this info?  Have you verified
>that it works?  If so could you post more info?

Its in a file "hiperarc.mib" that actually contains quite a few mibs,
for use with the HiPer Arc's.  You *don't* get this information sending
the requests to the NMC (well, you *can* get it through the NMC, its
just a bit more convoluted to do so :).

You need to set up SNMP access on the Arc (or use the NMC as an SNMP
relay agent) to be able to access this information.  Once you have the
Cip-MIB loaded (which is contained in the hiperarc.mib file), then you
should be able to access this (usrCipUserName) column of the
usrCipPortParamTable.

I *believe* the hiperarc.mib file is included with the hiperarc software
download zip file, but am not sure on that.  If you'd like a copy of the
file, I can send it.

I'm trying to hit on some of the things that might have caused you a
problem...without knowing specifically what you ran into, I can't give
you a good answer as to what you're doing wrong.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:49:04 +0000

Also sprach Brian Gordon
>Will that command work in Windows 2000?  Windows NT?

I haven't a clue, but I would suspect not.

You can use whatever SNMP browser you have available to snag the
usrCipUserName column of the usrCipPortParamTable to get this info.  I
just used the ucd-snmp util syntax because that's what I tend to use for
quick grabs of information.  For more sophisticated processing, I tend
to write perl5 scripts using the SNMP module to do whatever I need.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: David Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 19:00:51 +0000

I would love to have a copy of "hiperarc.mib"  If you could send it I'd
would appreciate it.
Thanks...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 12:45 PM

-

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 19:18:55 +0000

> Once you have the

So our snmp program should load the mib first, then query the HiperArc? I am
installing the snmp utils on my Linux box right now, but when I used the
snmp utility from IpSwitch on my NT machine is didn't provide any method of
reading a mib file. It also couldn't find the attribute you specified. Am I
missing something or do I need better snmp software (that hopefully the
Linux utils will provide)?

Mark Thornton

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 19:25:18 +0000

>> Once you have the Cip-MIB loaded (which is contained in the
>> hiperarc.mib file), then you should be able to access this
>> (usrCipUserName) column of the usrCipPortParamTable.

>So our snmp program should load the mib first, then query the HiperArc?
>I am installing the snmp utils on my Linux box right now, but when I
>used the snmp utility from IpSwitch on my NT machine is didn't provide
>any method of reading a mib file. It also couldn't find the attribute
>you specified. Am I missing something or do I need better snmp software
>(that hopefully the Linux utils will provide)?

The ucd-snmp tools will load the mibs specified (via the MIBDIRS and
MIBS environment variables) upon startup (note, if you have a lot of
mibs, this will make startup a tad bit slow...depending on the machine).
So...if you don't mind a bit of a sludgy startup, just throw all your
mibs in the directory specified in $MIBDIRS, and set $MIBS to "ALL" and
you should be almost set.

I've had to hack a few mibs around on occasion...and download a few
others...but for the most part that should get you started.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Carl Litt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:28:54 +0000

Speaking of which... where are the latest MIBs located anyways?
I'm getting a lot of unenumerated Enterprise Specific (120) 
traps, but I thought I had the latest MIBs.  Also, I wasn't
able to find one of the tables discussed during the modem
disconnection thread.

Carl Litt
Network Administrator
Execulink Internet Services

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:33:37 +0000

I tried reading the Hiperarc.mib into PowerTCP's free mib viewer and it
failed to compile because of unresolved references. Is the mib dependent on
other mib's or could I have a bad one.

Still fighting the linux thing...

Mark Thornton

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:46:28 +0000

>failed to compile because of unresolved references. Is the mib
>dependent on other mib's or could I have a bad one.

Depending on what PowerTCP is checking, its quite likely that it will
depend on other MIBS.  It should (hopefully) tell you what value it
needs to resolve or whatever, and likely what MIB it needs to resolve it
from.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:14:05 +0000

Don't remember the OID's off the top of my head, but there are several
Perl scripts that emulate what "pmwho" does on a PM3 or a USR NETserver...
you can find links to them all at http://www.dcr.net/~mandrews/usrtoys.
There are 3 versions altogether on there (mine is buried under the first
link)...

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:42:18 +0000

Well, it looks like I may need a bit of a tutorial on the snmpwalk
application. I can't seem to get it to do anything unless I give it the
debugging flag in which case it keeps returning my name. I am specifying the
OID as a numeric string as the dependency issue is pprbably present on the
machine as well.

What would be the correct syntax to query for the system info, something not
dependent on the hiperarc.mib? What shoudl I expect to see as output?

Thanks,

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) SNMP question

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:52:41 +0000

I got a bit farther. I can now get the 3Com to return the system info, but
when I specify a directory containing all the 3Com mibs I get the following:

Unlinked OID in RFC1213-MIB (lots of these)
system: Bad sub-id in object identifier (system)

It doesn't seem to like the mibs that come with the 3Com distro.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) SNMP question

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:54:04 +0000

>debugging flag in which case it keeps returning my name. I am
>specifying the OID as a numeric string as the dependency issue is
>pprbably present on the machine as well.

>What would be the correct syntax to query for the system info,
>something not dependent on the hiperarc.mib? What shoudl I expect to
>see as output?

snmpwalk <hostname> <community>
should give you basic MIB-II values

Something like:

quiz:/home/jeffm> snmpwalk <hostname> <community>                
system.sysDescr.0 = "3Com 17-Slot Chassis with PB clocking"
system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.usr.usrSysOIDs.chas17SlotClk
...

UCD-SNMP will walk the normal mib-ii tree if you don't specify what
branch you want to start with.  That's a good starting point to work on
things...get that working, then you can worry about getting the
enterprises branch in shape.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:00:48 +0000

Hmmm...

I must have a problem with the ucd snmp program that SuSe installed. When I
enter the command as you describe it runs for a bit spitting out a bunch of
stuff then generates a segmentation fault. I just downloaded this app from
their site and let the installer do its thing. Maybe there is a problem with
this? Should I replace it with a different version?

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) SNMP question

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:02:21 +0000

>I got a bit farther. I can now get the 3Com to return the system info,
>but when I specify a directory containing all the 3Com mibs I get the
>following:

>Unlinked OID in RFC1213-MIB (lots of these) system: Bad sub-id in
>object identifier (system)

Hrmm...try this:

grep "RFC1213-MIB DEFINITIONS" *

If it doesn't return anything, you need to get that MIB.  

>It doesn't seem to like the mibs that come with the 3Com distro.

The mibs themselves are pretty much fine...just the mibs identify at the
top where they link in to the MIB tree, and the references that they are
using are unknown, meaning your mib parser is building up the mib tree,
but it doesn't see where this mib that its reading connects in.  For
example, near the top of the file nmc-mib.txt you'll see something like:

usr OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 429 }

Basically this is telling the mib parser that the node "usr" is the
429th child of the enterprises node.  If your mib tree doesn't have the
enterprises node, then it doesn't know where to link in the NMC-MIB that
its reading.

What your error sounds like is that its not finding the node "system"
(as a guess), which is the 1st child of mib-ii.  So, you *should* be
able to find a place with a line like:

system OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mib-ii 1 }

this line would usually be found in the RFC1213-MIB that I referenced
above.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:03:09 +0000

>I must have a problem with the ucd snmp program that SuSe installed.
>When I enter the command as you describe it runs for a bit spitting out
>a bunch of stuff then generates a segmentation fault. I just downloaded
>this app from their site and let the installer do its thing. Maybe
>there is a problem with this? Should I replace it with a different
>version?

Segfault?  Now *that* I don't think I can help you with.  :)  That
doesn't sound like an SNMP or MIB problem there.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: David Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:16:07 +0000

How can I get the OIDs from the MIB file?

-----Original Message-----

-

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:23:44 +0000

>How can I get the OIDs from the MIB file?

The full OIDs are not in the MIB file directly.  Basically, each object
defined tells about the object itself (sometimes its just a node with no
information associated with it), what its parent is, and what its id
number relative to its parent is.  From this information, you can build
up the whole tree (theoretically you could do it by hand, but it'd be
tedious...this is what mib parsers are for :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 23:25:02 +0000

I got to looking in the hiperarc.mib file and it is importing files that I
don't have and don't know where to get. These are the mibs that came with
all my 3Com install, but I guess that explains it ;) How am I or anyone else
supposed to know where to get all the mibs that may be required for a
particular client? Isn't this making it awfully hard for something that is
name Simple...

Mark Thornton
.

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:57:22 +0000

>I got to looking in the hiperarc.mib file and it is importing files
>that I don't have and don't know where to get. 

Keep in mind that MIB != file.  For example, the hiperarc.mib file has
quite a few mibs contained in it.  I know, for example, that there are
several mibs in the hiperarc.mib file that import values from other mibs
that are contained within the same file.  I had to cut-n-paste one of
the mibs in that file to another location in the file actually because
the ordering was wrong for the imports (one of the DNS related
mibs...don't remember for sure which).

>These are the mibs that came with all my 3Com install, but I guess that
>explains it ;) How am I or anyone else supposed to know where to get
>all the mibs that may be required for a particular client? 

I don't recall where I got mine, but let me know what mibs you need and
if I have them, I'll gladly send them on.  I just don't remember what
needs to be added from the base 3Com mib set to make the ucd parser
happy.

>Isn't this making it awfully hard for something that is name Simple...

Actually, SNMP *is* quite simple.  Actually, the protocol is *extremely*
simple...one of the reasons that's its not very efficient.  It has a
grand total of 4 possible operations (well...originally, newer versions
of the protocol have more, GET, GETNEXT, SET and TRAP.  You don't *have*
to have the mib files for SNMP to work either.  Indeed, MRTG uses SNMP
and doesn't ever touch a mib file, it just uses the numeric OID's
(snmp_session.pm doesn't parse mib files at all if I remember
correctly).  So, the protocol is indeed quite simple, the mibs are there
kinda like DNS, in order to convert numbers into something vaguely human
readable, but its not a necessary part by any means.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 15:49:05 +0000

I would really appreciate a working copy of the hiperarc.mib and any other
mib that is appropriate to monitoring the TCH, possibly the nmc's mib. I
have downloaded the ucd-snmp program and will be installing it today.
According to it's file list, most of the basic mib files come with the
install, but weren't installed on my computer when I took the Linux easy
way. Now I get to do it the hard way, but I will probably have a working
system in the end. Typical Linux experience.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) SNMP question

-