Subject: (usr-tc) ppp compression

From: Dwayne Varey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:51:30 +0000

A couple of our customers are using bsd boxes to connect to us via ppp.
They are complaining that since we've changed to 3com equipment their
connections are slower, because the hiper-arc will not negoiate compression
control protocol with them.  I have looked into this and it seems that the
hiper-arc only knows 3 types of compression: Ascend, Stack and Microsoft.
Is this true, or is there a hidden command within the hiper-arc to enable
more of the ppp rfc compression protocols?

 ________________________________________________
 Dwayne Varey
 Systems Administrator
 WestNet - WA's Statewide Internet Provider
 Phone: 92182600 - Fax: 92182666
 http://www.wn.com.au
 _________________________________________________

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:52:58 +0000

Also sprach Dwayne Varey
>connections are slower, because the hiper-arc will not negoiate
>compression control protocol with them.  I have looked into this and it
>seems that the hiper-arc only knows 3 types of compression: Ascend,
>Stack and Microsoft.  Is this true, or is there a hidden command within
>the hiper-arc to enable more of the ppp rfc compression protocols?

No, those are the only three compression protocols that the Arc (and the
NETServer, if anyone is still running those) will support.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:29:24 +0000

I don't know what flavor of BSD these folks have, but the
"user-ppp" supplied with FreeBSD (and I believe OpenBSD as well, maybe
even Net) support "Predictor-1" compression which I believe is what Ascend
uses (RFC 1978).  It would be downright silly if 3Com didn't support
this.  There's even example code in the RFC.

Charles

| Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
| INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200 
| [email-masked]                     | [email-masked]

-