Subject: (usr-tc) HiperAc AND Routing Adverisments!

From: Talal Ghaith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:40:40 +0000

Hi

we used to have a singel HiperArc along with cisco routers, and
customers who are assigned a static IP address will have to be staticly
routed to the ip address of the hiperarc.
and the Gateway Cisco router i did the following
i gave the subclass where all my static IP addressed customers a static
route with a hight metric
ip route XXXX  gateway 200  (where XXXX are the static ip addresses, 200
is the metric)

Now the dialing in customer if landed on a cisco router, the gateway
will know where to get that ip address because of the advertizment of
the cisco router and will definitly give it a smaller metric and hence
will work fine, Now, if it links to the Hiper it will follow that static
route since no one else is advertizing that IP address!

The problem occured when i had the second Hiperarc!
i really need the hiper to advertize any ip address that is connected to
it !!

anybody have a clue!

cheers
tolio

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 16:33:03 +0000

Thus spake Talal Ghaith
>The problem occured when i had the second Hiperarc!  i really need the
>hiper to advertize any ip address that is connected to it !!

>anybody have a clue!

The HiPer Arcs support RIPv2 in all code versions.  4.2.x also supports
OSPF.  Either will do what you need.  The cisco should have no problem
with either of these.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Talal Ghaith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:37:29 +0000

thanx Jeff

i'm sorry, i did not mention that  RIP ver2 is enabled on eth:1 which is
the working interface.

still i can't hear any advertizments from the hiper!

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:48:40 +0000

Thus spake Talal Ghaith
>i'm sorry, i did not mention that  RIP ver2 is enabled on eth:1 which
>is the working interface.

>still i can't hear any advertizments from the hiper!

Well...you need to have RIPv2 enabled on the cisco too, of course.  The
configuration on both is relatively simple, but it does have to be
configured on both.  If it still isn't working, might stick a sniffer on
the wire to make sure RIP packets are really going out.  There aren't
really any big gotchas in dealing with RIPv2 on the arcs, it basically
just works.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Talal Ghaith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 13:04:42 +0000

thanx Jeff , it's working NOW!

my mistake, i used to put the following command
enable ip rip

where i should have put
set ip network "ip" routing_protocol Ripv2

thanx again
you really were helpful

talal

-