Subject: (usr-tc) Been Gone for a long time

From: John Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:39:48 +0000

HI

I have been gone for over a year and am wondering if this list is still 
active?  Or if I should be looking in another place.

JOhn :}

-----  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the 
Lord, not for men  >Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

John C. Lange, Sr.                PALACE dot NET, INC.
[email-masked]           MICRO-TECH Computers, Inc.
608.742.1601 & 6980             1819 New Pinery Road
http://www.palacenet.net/       Portage, WI 53901
MSCE Training for only $150.00 - http://dpec.palacenet.net/
All 200+ Web Based Courses for $150.00 Per Year - "Really"

       ---    __o
      ---   _-\<,_        Fastest Service in Town
       --- (_)/ (_)

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:04:05 +0000

> active?  Or if I should be looking in another place.

This list is as active as ever.  This is the best place to come for clues
on TC gear.  Their aren't as many "issues" these days with TC stuff, but
alot of people here that can help you.

Brian

>       ---   _-\<,_        Fastest Service in Town

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: John Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 02:11:30 +0000

HI & TIA

I am now researching the possibility of converting from my Lucent PM-3's to 
USR TC's with DSP cards.

How are reliability issues?
How about modem compatibility?
Any issues I should be aware of?

How many of you purchase a support contract on ALL of your TC's or just a 
few and wing it???

Thanks
JOhn :}

       ---    __o

-

---

From: Brian Elfert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 02:24:39 +0000

> How are reliability issues?

We've had one bad card out of 5 chassis installed here.  We also have a
number of portmaster products, and none of those has failed.

> How about modem compatibility?

Very good on the older quad modem cards.  List members have reported
various problems on the different releases for the HiperDSP cards.

> Any issues I should be aware of?

OSPF doesn't appear to work 100% yet.  If you are routing subnets and
such, you might need to use RIPv2 for a while.

> How many of you purchase a support contract on ALL of your TC's or just a 

Supposedly, you have to buy support for every Total Control item you have.
You can't pick and choose.

Brian

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 05:53:09 +0000

Thus spake John Lange
>How many of you purchase a support contract on ALL of your TC's or just
>a few and wing it???

Oh...now you've done it...you've gone and opened up the support contract
issue again.

OK...just as a show of hands (e-hands?).  How many of you have support
contracts on your equipment?  I wanna get a feel for how many people
really do actually get the support.  I'll keep track and post a summary.
Lurkers, feel free to drop me a line privately if you'd like to continue
lurking, I won't post names or anything...just totals of how many do and
how many don't.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:10:02 +0000

>lurking, I won't post names or anything...just totals of how many do and

My support contract ran out in August. I could only afford to replace it
with the software upgrade contract. Pay-per-incident will have to be my
last-ditch bacon-saver if something comes up that I can't resolve by myself
or via this list.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000/886-2500   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Dave Lajoie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:48:49 +0000

Jeff,

	We _do_ have a contract for the equipment we have. I have made
use of it to solve config, abnormal function, and RMA. At the risk of
starting something I will have to say we have been treated 'well' for the
most part. 

Dave Lajoie				 
RA Administrator			 
North Country Internet Access
E-Mail: [email-masked]

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:01:25 +0000

Thus spake Dave Lajoie
>starting something I will have to say we have been treated 'well' for
>the most part. 

Alright.  :)  Fair enough.  And to be fair to 3Com...my experience has
also been that if you have a support contract, or through some other
means manage to get help, that they help they provide any more is pretty
decent, courteous, and the techs work their butts off to help.  I have
to give 3Com credit that they have addressed these problems over the
past couple of years.  However, the problems with the structure, and
rules surrounding *obtaining* the support contracts are still seriously
problematic.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: "M. Tsai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:25:14 +0000

Hi All,

[email-masked]  - off line address please

Hopefuly , you don't mind that I
am looking for buying a FAN tray for
my unfaned TCH.

New or used is OK. Our TCH chasis is the kind that
has no internal base fan embeded to it.  If you
have the added on FAN tray, please email me
off line and let me know its cost.

Thanks

Meng
[email-masked]  - off line address please.

-