Subject: [USR-TC] Encryption via radius

From: "Shinman, Gilad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 19:15:37 +0000

Hi all,
	Has anyone used MSPPP Encryption on an ARC? I'm trying to configure the ARC (Firmware ver. 5.3.3 - 168bit encryption enabled) to work together with SteelBelted Radius ver.3 to get any user who connects to the TC to connect with MicroSoft PPP 128bit data encryption.
I've set the attributes in the user tab of SBR for MSPPP Encryption required and 128bit and also defined 128bit_Microsoft_Encryption as the encryption algo. on the default user on the ARC. But this doesn't work. 

Any help is more then welcomed

Thanks

Gilad Shinman
Network Engineer
Intel Israel
[email-masked]
972-4-8655577

---

From: Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:33:06 +0000

Hello & Help.   :-)

On Friday night, we had a pretty good lightning storm here, and about 12:30
AM, our T1 connected to our 3COM HiperDSP stopped taking calls.  The power
had been out for a few minutes longer than our UPS's can handle, so some of
the servers had reset and some hadn't, depending on the particular UPS.  I
had initially thought the settings in the DSP had been corrupted in the
process so that it wouldn't answer (it was answering with dead air) but when
we plugged the T1 into our old backup equipment, it only had 4 active
channels out of 24 (and it wasn't connected or on at the time of the storm)
so we then figured the culprit was upstream.  We unplugged the 4 wires from
our Pairgain HDSL T1 box to shut the power off to it and then reconnected
them, and our old equipment started taking 24 calls again.  Good deal -
fixed...

Or not.  When we plugged the T1 back into the HiperDSP, the green CAR light
does not come on and only the red ALARM light is lit.  Calls no longer get
dead air, they simply get routed past the card and are answered by the next
modem pool (our BRI ISDN modem pool) so the entire T1 is ignored and
bypassed, the same as if it isn't plugged into anything at all.

So, I'm looking for suggestions / help.  The Pairgain HDSL box doesn't seem
any worse for the wear after the power reset, so I don't see how a lightning
strike would hurt anything past it.  The HiperDSP seems to check out
otherwise & I can talk to it OK.  I have two HiperDSP cards, but I've never
had the second card configured, since I've never had a second T1 and I'm not
certain it works at all (it has two red lights lit - ALM and LPBK/D-ALM).

So... Help, please.  Any suggestions or ideas to try would be great.  I'm in
Canada, so buying another HiperDSP set is not a cheap / quick thing to do.
Perhaps there is an idea of something we can try that will better diagnose
the problem?

Todd Chamberlain

---

From: Todd Bertolozzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:42:10 +0000

In regards to the red alarm light:

The DSP may have lost it's config.  Highlight the span portion in TCM and
click on Configure...Programmed Settings....Trunk Settings.  Make sure your
span settings are correct.  You may want to take a quick look under NFAS
settings and make sure it is set to FAS.

Carrier light needs to be green....if you get that situated, also get into
the hiperarc and do a "list chassis" . Does everything look normal? You
should have the HDM listed under it's slot with 24 ports. If nothing is
listed there you'll get dead air or busies (can't remember which).  You
might have nmc chassis awareness enabled though which should take care of
this for you.  "show nmc settings"  If it's disabled though...you'll need to
configure the chassis slots manually.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Support
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 4:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] HELP: Lightning HiPerDSP

Hello & Help.   :-)

Todd Chamberlain

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

---

From: Lewis Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:05:02 +0000

If you just want to check if the circuitry is OK on the DSP you should do a 
loopback test. You can also make a loopback adapter by crossing the pairs. Do 
a google search for "t1 loopback" and you'll see the pinout.
-- 
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications
4309 Maple St.
Abilene, TX 79602-8044
915-695-6962 ext 115

---

From: Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:12:12 +0000

OK.  I'll try this.  When it first went out, we got dead air answer.  When I
plugged the T1 into the older equipment and only four modems answered, it
reasoned that the problem was on the T1.  Especially since cycling power to
our HDSL box fixed everthing on our old equipment.  However, when we went
back to the HiperDSP, it now totally missed the card - cycles past it like
it wasn't there.

I also tried swaping the backs of my two HiperDSP cards today.  I figured
that if lightning got though the HDSL modem and got to the HiperDSP card, it
could not have blown the back of the second card (not connected to the T1 at
all), so swaping the back in slot 3 with the one in slot 1 should have (but
didn't ) fix things up.

Anyway, I'll go through the settings with a finner toothed comb and see what
I can find.  It all looks OK.

Thank you,
Todd Chamberlain

---

From: Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:13:28 +0000

OK, that's a good idea.  I think I have a loopback adaptor left over from my
old Equinox equipment I can use.  It would help a lot to rule out (or in)
that the hardware is toast or not.

Thanks,
Todd Chamberlain

---

From: Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 05:08:23 +0000

Hi Lewis.  I tried this with a LoopBack adapter that came with our Equinox
Digital Modem Pools we used to have.  When I initiate the Loopback test by
setting the mode from NoLoop to Payload or Line, the LoopBack LED goes
Yellow (test in progress) but it never comes back from yellow.  Can you
explain
how the sequence should look?  Perhaps the lookback adaptor I have is not
the
same - I haven't built my own yet, but will tomorrow.

Actually, I think the T1 port is OK - at least the CAR light comes on green
and the
PairGain HDLS T1 modem's lights activate correspondingly, just that we get
a dead-air answer.  We've been though the trunk settings over and over, but
I just
don't see anything wrong.  We get the same results on both cards, so we're
back
to trying a loopback to make sure the CAR lights aren't lying.

So, if you could tell me what a successful loopback test should work like, I
would
be grateful.  :-)

Todd Chamberlain

---

From: Lewis Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:40:32 +0000

On Thursday 05 September 2002 12:04 am, Support wrote:
> how the sequence should look? 
That's what mine does when I put it on line loopback and put my adapter in. I 
would have to go dig in the docs to see what a bad one does.
Try this page for some more troublrshooting help.
-- 
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications
4309 Maple St.
Abilene, TX 79602-8044
915-695-6962 ext 115

---

From: Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:05:29 +0000

It just stays Yellow forever?  It would be nice if it blinked
a couple times and then went off or something for a
successful test.  Mine goes Yellow no matter what I set
it to pretty much, and it stays that way forever.

---

From: Lewis Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:46:13 +0000

> it to pretty much, and it stays that way forever.
Doesn't seem extremely useful does it?
-- 
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications
4309 Maple St.
Abilene, TX 79602-8044
915-695-6962 ext 115

---

From: Cyrus Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:19:21 +0000

My Settings in a old and forgotten world of CT1

I have been kind of following this thread, I run T1's and I received zero help
from my TELCO, it turns out they had
no clue and I was on my own. A Lucent PM-4 Manual really helped me...

Here are my settings from my old T1, I am sorry I am not running Hiper stuff
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 T1 Span Line 1 Framing Mode                 SF
 2 T1 Span Line 1 Line Coding                  AMI
 3 T1 Span Line 1 Remotely Initiated Loopback  Respond
 4 T1 Span Line 1 Jitter Attenuation           Transmitter
 5 T1 Span Line 1 Transmit Line Build Out      0.0 dB
 6 T1 Span Line 1 Automatic Busy-out           Disabled
 7 T1 Span Line 1 Fractional T1 Byte Pattern   FE Hex
 8 T1 Span Line 1 Short Haul NIC Line Length   Not Applicable

 1  Set to Feature Group B Defaults
 2  Set to Feature Group D Defaults
 3  Set to Loop-start Defaults
 4  Set to Ground-start Defaults
                                                 Current Setting
 5  Dial-in/Dial-out Trunk Type                       E & M type II
 6  Dial-in/Dial-out Trunk Start                      Wink
 7  Dial-in Expected Address                          No Address
 8  Dial-in Address Acknowledge Wink                  Enable
 9  Dial-out Address Delay                            70
 10 Dial-in No-Add. timeout no answer (0 fast-ans)    30
----------------------------------------------------------------
Now in coming up with this stuff, I tried everything, in north america we do
not use ground start
anymore, if you are not able to set this kind of stuff maybe your software does
not support CT1?

Do not use Ground Start; no one in north america does.

Hope this helps

PS. if anyone can improve on this let me know, Thanks!

-Cyrus.
[email-masked]