Subject: [USR-TC] Hiper arc telnet problem

From: Colin_McFadyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 18:50:07 +0000

Hi all,
I have a client that uses a remote Sun workstation and connects to my hiper
as a text user and telnets to another Sun workstation (Solaris 8).  He then
runs PPP on the Sun boxes over the telnet link.  The reason for this is that
he gets much better performance by letting the Suns do the PPP compression.

The above worked just fine with our old Total Control rack.  The TC rack had
to be decommissioned and we switched to the hiper.  

Problem is that now when he runs PPP over telnet, the target Sun workstation
reboots.  We have tried using a Sunblade 100 and an Ultra, both with the
same results, reboot.

Does the hiper spew extra telnet info?  Anyone know why a streaming telnet
session would cause a Sun to reboot?

Thanks.

Colin McFadyen
Supervisor of Operations
Carleton University Computing and Communications Services
voice: 613-520-2600 x3731   fax: 613-520-4448

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:14:47 +0000

What do you see in your /var/log/messages  on the sun box?
Do you have the PPP log any indication there?

I am not aware of any extra data from the HiPer on the telnet side, may be
you want to snoop the wire to see why the sun reboots.

-V

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Colin_McFadyen wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
>