Subject: (usr-tc) RADIUS question

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 04:11:16 +0000

Hey guys.  I have a question regarding RADIUS servers in general.  Right
now we're using Cistron RADIUS on our main authentication server, works
great and all but we're trying to set up a backup RADIUS server as well.

That part isn't hard (setting it up) except I don't know what the
configuration settings are to make it authenticate off of a different
file, not just the system password file.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Scott

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 04:25:19 +0000

It's under AUTH-TYPE

System = system files
'password' = put the password in quotes, plain text
others you may have compiled in (cdb, SQL)

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:11:01 +0000

Paul-

Regarding what you said, that isn't what I asked. :-)
Right now RADIUS is authenticating off of /etc/master.passwd in FreeBSD,
and basically what we are doing is copying that file every 5 minutes to
another server (radius.passwd is the name).

On that other server I want the RADIUS daemon to authenticate off of
radius.passwd and not /etc/master.passwd -- How do I do this?

Unless I'm getting the wrong idea, and you're saying I have to put in
"System = /etc/raddb/radius.passwd" ???

Scott

-

---

From: "Michael J. Hartwick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 06:25:51 +0000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 at 21:09 (-0600), Scott Kupferschmidt wrote:

SK> On that other server I want the RADIUS daemon to authenticate off of
SK> radius.passwd and not /etc/master.passwd -- How do I do this?

It depends on the RADIUS daemon you are using.  I modified the
original Livingston daemon to do this and it was a simply
modification.  I know that FreeRADIUS has that support, however,
FreeRADIUS isn't quite ready for full production use yet (still
alpha).  FreeRADIUS is based on Cistron.

Michael

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J. Hartwick, VE3SLQ                      [email-masked]
Hartwick Communications Consulting                      (519) 396-7719
Kincardine, ON, CA                             http://www.hartwick.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:45:51 +0000

No, if master.passwd is you system passwd file (and not a users file or
cbd file) then you will need to tell the raduis daemon what you want to
authenticate off of.... either a users file, the system password file or
some other.  You may want to look into mysql-ized raduis (ala freeraduis
or some other db enabled raduis.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-