Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Anybody have v.92 working yet?

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 01:59:26 +0000

Also sprach Paul Farber
>But again, 3Com/Commworks says that if you have 50 DSP's, and only 25
>of them are in an areas where you can even get v.90 to work you need to
>pay for all 50.

This is the crux of the matter.

Because of CommWorks support contract policies, continuing to upgrade
the TC equipment is a non-starter.

CommWorks *STILL* after, what, 4 or 5 years of me and others screaming
about it, needs to get their support contract policies in line with the
industry.

Equal coverage across the TC products makes continued support of the TC
equipment a non-starter here.

I also, personally, will not buy another thing from CommWorks/3Com as
long as Al Huefner is employed there.  When he's gone and the support
contract policies are revised, *then* I'll consider purchasing more
equipment and support contracts.

Al Huefner is single-handedly, through CommWorks support contract
policies, responsible for the demise of the TC1000 equipment line as the
premier NAS for ISPs.  That mantle belongs to Cisco now...their
Universal Port/Any Service Any Port (ASAP) support is light-years ahead
of what CommWorks has.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: Stephen Amadei <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:41:24 +0000

> Universal Port/Any Service Any Port (ASAP) support is light-years ahead

How is the pricing/port density going for Cisco?  I haven't looked at it
for awhile.  I'm still looking to move off of the TC equipment... or at
least _only_ buying it used.

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.NET!  CTO
Atlantic City, NJ

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:26:16 +0000

Also sprach Stephen Amadei
>> policies, responsible for the demise of the TC1000 equipment line as
>> the premier NAS for ISPs.  That mantle belongs to Cisco now...their
>> Universal Port/Any Service Any Port (ASAP) support is light-years
>> ahead of what CommWorks has.

>How is the pricing/port density going for Cisco?  I haven't looked at
>it for awhile.  I'm still looking to move off of the TC equipment... or
>at least _only_ buying it used.

I haven't gotten any official quotes, but the AS5350's that I've looked
at end up being roughly $250-$300 per port, which is roughly what I
remember that we were paying for TC gear (been a while since we've
bought any).

So, for roughly the same per-port cost, you get fully-upgradeable modem
support (the nextport modems in the 5350, 5400 and 5850 are *completely*
DSP based, unlike the older MICA type modems), as well as seamless voice,
fax, and ISDN support as well.

These things can literally take calls on the same PRI, one call being a
modem call, one being an ISDN call, one being a fax call (T.38 fax over
IP), one being a voice call gateway'ed to h.323, or sip, the next can be
tdm switched out to another PRI going to another piece of equipment
(yes, the 5350 can do network-side PRI...I currently have the 5350 that
I'm demo'ing running network-side NI-2 plugged into a dual-pri card in a
TC chassis...so I can place a h.323 call to the 5350 as a gateway and
get modem tones from the TC)

The 5350's are *way* more flexible in what they can do than the TC
equipment is...and of course you get all of the protocols support that
IOS offers you, OSPF that actually works correctly, and large numbers of
other routing protocols that CommWorks hasn't even *thought* about
supporting on Arcs yet.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456