Subject: (usr-tc) Hiper NMC Card in Non-Hiper TC Hub

From: Rob <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:54:11 +0000

I just came by a hiper nmc card set, and wanted to use it in my TC hub. Its
the 70Amp etc version with v90 everything, quad modems - and so forth. Do I
need anything else hiper - like maybe the arc? Or can I just plug in the nmc
card set?

Thanks for any advice on this!
Rob

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:15:50 +0000

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "unlock 
code" for v.90 on the quad modems is in your current NMC. If you 
replace it, your quads will no longer be able to do v.90.

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:01:20 +0000

Correct!

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Barber" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Hiper NMC Card in Non-Hiper TC Hub

-

---

From: Steve Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:46:42 +0000

A coworker of mine went to the ISP con and came back with a brochure from
Patton Electronics, they make a 1u box that handles 4 pri (or T1/E1)  I was
wondering if anyone has used this gear before, and if it is an acceptable
replacement for 3com gear?

One of the up sides is they give free support and free firmware upgrades to
people who own the boxes.  This is a nice feature =)

-Steve

-- 
Steve Johnson - [email-masked]      Sonic.net, Inc.
System Administrator                    300 B Street #100
707.522.1000 (Voice)                    Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707.547.2199 (Fax)                      http://www.sonic.net/

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:15:31 +0000

I've been using the 2800 and now have a 2996 being shipped to me now.

Comparing a 2800's performance to a DSP card there really is no
comparison.  In my specific arrangement the 2800's beat the DSP on connect
speeds, reliabilty (no more 'hung modem' problems!) and the management
console is way better than the DSP console port or TCM.

Down side?  None yet.

I did get a call from Patton a day ago about a new firmware issue, a
memory leak that would freeze the box after a week or so.  Get this..
.THEY CALLED ME to tell me about a known issue..... anyone EVER get a call
from 3COM about a KNOWN software issue??? Without being extorted for a
support contract (like paying all that money would get you a proactive
phone call about an issue... yeah right.)

Patton is gonna each 3COM/Lucents lunch in the small/mid ISP areana.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Marius Kirschner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:26:48 +0000

Hey, you got my interest, I've heard much good about the Patton products.
How much does a 48 port unit go for nowadays?

                      ---Marius (Agora Online)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Paul Farber
> Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 1:14 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Patton Electronics
>
>

-

---

From: Terry Kennedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:35:36 +0000

This is what the patton people sent me.
I know this off topic. But someone asked.
*************************************************

Hi Terry,

You can work directly with me.  We have a few different models to choose
from:

2810 - 24 port $4500. - this unit is fan cooled
2960 - 48 port $8500.
2996 - 96 port $14,000.

All boxes support T1, CT1 as well as ISDN PRI line types. The units are
complete with all software (pre-installed) and all hardware...including rack
mount ears.

Tech support is free and all software upgrades are free.  Each unit comes
with a 2 year warranty.

Highlights:

1) Up to 96 Simultaneous connections on four T1 or Channelized T1 WAN lines.
2) 10/100 Full Duplex Ethernet port and RS232 Console Port
3) Built in SNMP/HTTP web management system
4) Supports Multilink-PPP and Multichassis for analog as well as ISDN calls.
5) Our dual and quad models are Convection Cooled -- Quiet operation with no
fans to fail or wear out.
6) Dual redundant power supplies are standard and at no extra charge.
7) Two year warranty with free technical support and software updates.
8) No worries with Patton's 30 Day "No Hassles" trial.
9) Financing information is available

To see the management system on a live Patton RAS, just Point your browser
to http://demo.2960.com

username=monitor
password=monitor

Be sure to click on the "Dial-In" link on the upper-left of your screen.
Also, we work well with MRTG. To help you get up and running, we have canned
MRTG .cfg files which you can drop into your running configurations.

If you have any questions, or would like more detail on a specific model,
please don't hesitate to contact me using any of the following methods.

Regards,

Natalie

Natalie R. Parnell
Sales Associate, Network Access
Patton Electronics
Ofc:     301-975-1000 ext 371
Fax:     301-869-9293
Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.patton.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Marius Kirschner
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 10:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Patton Electronics

                      ---Marius (Agora Online)

-

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:50:31 +0000

They are having a lot of 'specials' to push the 96 porter.... I got a good
deal on 144 ports... a 96 port box and a 48 port box (thats a total of
+240 ports for Patton, and -240 ports for 3COM).

I am gonna retire another 500+ 3COM ports in the next few months when they
go off lease... guess who is gonna get my $$$$$$??

I don't wanna talk prices but it was $3K less than a comparible DSP quote.

Guess what... 3COM is busy jerking ISP's around for v.92 code... patton is
gonna do it for free when its released.  BEAT THAT!

The only good side is that DSP cards are gonna get dirt cheap on the
aftermarket as small/mid ISP's dump 3COM units... so if you have good luck
with them, you are gonna really like the next 12-18 months.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-