Subject: (usr-tc) Security questions

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:39:28 +0000

I am trying to accomplish 2 tasks:

1 - Change password in HARC for the user 'adm' in NVRAM. When I use the CLI,
the command 'set user adm password xxxx' takes, I do a save all, and the old
password is still active. If I try to use HARM, I get a message stating
"cannot edit a user with type MANAGE"

2 - I need to delete a different user in NVRAM that is also type MANAGE.
Cannot seem to do that - same message as above referring to a user with type
MANAGE.

Any thoughts?

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:40:03 +0000

disable user adm

You cannot delete the adm user.  You can however disable it.  At least
this is the case with the versions I work off of.

Brian

> Cannot seem to do that - same message as above referring to a user with type

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCNA       [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 01:06:46 +0000

Brian-

Thanks, but I want to CHANGE the password for adm to something else. See #1
below.

I am trying to DELETE another NVRAM users (not adm) - see #2 below.

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Security questions

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:02:28 +0000

> this is the case with the versions I work off of.
Depends on the version of HiPer arc code.  4.1.59 above you can delete the user 
adm.  

> > "cannot edit a user with type MANAGE"
For harm to work you must also enable snmp options on the hiper arc.
Make sure that your system using Harm is allowed in the snmp configuration
with read/write permissions.

-V

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 05:03:25 +0000

Ved-

I am using the read/write SNMP community. I can write other changes to the
HARC via HARM, such as creating new routes, changing RADIUS info, etc. So if
I have permissions to do these other tasks, I should have the permissions to
change passwords. But I do not think it is a permissions problem - I should
be able to change the password on 'adm'.

Regarding the other user I am trying to delete - I don't even know what a
MANAGE-type user is, or how it got to be that way. Geez, something so
seemingly simple has become a pain....

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; Brian <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 10:00 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Security questions

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:34:00 +0000

Also sprach Scot Desort
>Regarding the other user I am trying to delete - I don't even know what
>a MANAGE-type user is, or how it got to be that way. Geez, something so

I'm not sure about your inability to change the password...I've never
used HARM.  *shrug*.  But a manage user is a user like adm...a user
that's allowed to log into the management CLI of the Arc and make
changes to configuration, etc.  The username adm is not magical, its
just the default manage user set up on an Arc.  There is also...in later
versions of code a manage_readonly, which does what you'd expect...can
log into the management cli, but can only see how things are
configured...not change them.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:25:14 +0000

> be able to change the password on 'adm'.

Harm did not allow users to change the password the user adm.  This was a
bug in Harm, it goes back to the days when you could not delete the adm
user, at that time the Harm did not allow you to change password on adm.
There is no new version of Harm that does allow you to do so either.

> seemingly simple has become a pain....

When you do a list users from the Cli it will tell you what you that is,
it will show you if the user is a manager or network or both.
I would recommend to use CLI for its much easier than harm

-V

-