Subject: (usr-tc) disabling telnet

From: Jamie Orzechowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 14:03:57 +0000

what is the command to disable telnet on an arc anyways??

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 14:22:13 +0000

Thus spake Jamie Orzechowski
>what is the command to disable telnet on an arc anyways??

disable network service telnetd

This assumes its the default named telnet service, of course.  :)

Something else you could do...to at least stop script kiddies from
getting you would be to put your telnet server on a different port
number.  Not really any real security, but the exploit program out there
is hard coded for port 23, so you can at least make them look.

add network service telnet server_type telnetd enabled yes socket xxx

should do it.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Tatai SV Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:55:32 +0000

> what is the command to disable telnet on an arc anyways??

Telnet is a deamon service on the hiper arc - you will have to disable 
the network service telnetd - you can always create another service on a 
different port  if you want.

However if the question is to just avoid being hiperbombed, just add 
telnet clients and enable telnet client access - for now.

krish

-