Subject: (usr-tc) Configuring Static IP Addresses through 2 HiperARCs

From: Mike Storjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:23:17 +0000

Does anyone know if there is a way to give a user a static IP address when
he connects to a TotalControl with 2 HiperARCs?  The issue is that the
router that connects the 2 ARCs to the outside world does not know which ARC
to send data destined to the static IP address that is assigned.  Why?  Well
the same hunt group that the user dials into is assigned to all HiperDSPs in
the chassis and there are 5 DSPs routed through each ARC.  So there is no
guarantee which ARC the user will be routed through.
 
I hope you got all that!
 
Can you add the same static IP address in each ARC and have it use RIP to
add a route in the connecting router?  If so, will only the one that is in
use by the user have an active RIP session?
 
If you have any ideas at all, please let me know.
 
Thanks. 
 
Mike Storjohann 
Internet Services Administrator 
HunTel.net® 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:33:15 +0000

Oi, we need an FAQ.  :)

Also sprach Mike Storjohann
>I hope you got all that!
 
Didn't need to...most of us on the list are *intimately* familiar with
these issues.  :)

>Can you add the same static IP address in each ARC and have it use RIP
>to add a route in the connecting router?  If so, will only the one that
>is in use by the user have an active RIP session?
 
>If you have any ideas at all, please let me know.
 
You don't want a static route entered on the Arcs...while it *might*
work...I'm not sure how you're setting it up, or how the Arcs handle
routing advertisements for routes whose next-hop addresses are not
reachable...the "correct" way to do it is to put the user's static IP
address (and potentially route information) in their RADIUS profile,
turn on RIP (probably v2) or OSPF and let the Arc advertise the static
IP/route to the next-hop router when the user connects and the static
IP/route gets added to the Arc by the RADIUS response.  That way, when
the user logs off, the route gets dropped by the Arc, gets dropped out
of the routing advertisements (for RIP, set to max age then dropped for
OSPF...same effect) until the user connects again.

This is the whole idea for routing protocols...to let the network
routing adapt to changing network topologies...in this case, the
changing network topology is where the user is connected.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.