Subject: (usr-tc) To TC or not to TC

From: Steve Cobb <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:56:49 +0000

Hi all,

We are a new ISP that is having a ton of problems with our USR TC equipment.  We have two pops, one tc with 3 DSPs and one with 2.  We are at the point of adding another DSP to each tc but as I said we are having a ton of problems.  Sprint is our telco and they have no expertise with tc.  Right now, we have been having problems for 10 DAYS!  Our trunks mysteriously turn off until and our available modems slowly drop off.  So my question is, what is the best hardware to switch to?  I like the features of the usr tc, but we have no support.  3COM has been no help.  I'm looking at going to an Ascend/Lucent product but I don't know which one.  I would like the same manageability that the tc has.  Any suggestions would be most helpfully.  Of course, I need something that is x2 and ISDN ready.

Thanks,

Steve Cobb
Computer Geeks

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Brian Elfert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:38:05 +0000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Steve Cobb wrote:

> no help.  I'm looking at going to an Ascend/Lucent product but I don't
> know which one.  I would like the same manageability that the tc has. 
> Any suggestions would be most helpfully.  Of course, I need something
> that is x2 and ISDN ready.

If you truly want x2 support, you'll have to stick with 3Com.  Everyone
else supports V.90 and K56Flex.

Brian

-

---

From: Dayton Internet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 17:10:23 +0000

Since you have a ton of problems, then perhaps if you list them to the
list some will be able to offer solutions so some of the problems. 

We have been running TC for over 3 years without a problem of trunk
turning off. I would say there is a configuration setting between your
type of trunks and the software of the TC. But without further information
I can offer no other assistance. 

It sounds as tho you are getting some connections so basically the
hardware works. You will find that all the brands of hardware are
basically the same, and that thousands of users of TC show that it
constantly works 24/7. So the problem you are having is isolated to your
lines/T1's/software/ or hardware.

What versions of software and hardware are on your TC. What is the type of
switch that sprint is using and what are their settings.

Who did you buy the TC from, if it was a dealer then they are a better
source of assistance than 3Com. If you have a support contract with 3 Com,
then you will have to elevate the level of support. If you have contacted
them then you have an incedent number that you can use for re-contact.

--Rich Adams, President, Dayton Internet Services Inc., Dayton, Ohio--
  [email-masked]

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Steve Cobb wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> We are a new ISP that is having a ton of problems with our USR TC
> equipment.  We have two pops, one tc with 3 DSPs and one with 2.  We are
> at the point of adding another DSP to each tc but as I said we are
> having a ton of problems.  Sprint is our telco and they have no
> expertise with tc.  Right now, we have been having problems for 10 DAYS! 
> Our trunks mysteriously turn off until and our available modems slowly
> drop off.  So my question is, what is the best hardware to switch to?  I
> like the features of the usr tc, but we have no support.  3COM has been

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:31:32 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 8:46 AM
Subject: (usr-tc) To TC or not to TC

> We are a new ISP that is having a ton of problems with our USR TC
equipment.  We have two pops, one tc with 3 >DSPs and one with 2.  We are at
the point of adding another DSP to each tc but as I said we are having a ton
of >problems.  Sprint is our telco and they have no expertise with tc.
Right now, we have been having problems for 10 >DAYS!  Our trunks
mysteriously turn off until and our available modems slowly drop off.  So my
question is, what is the >best hardware to switch to?  I like the features
of the usr tc, but we have no support.  3COM has been no help.

Sprint - does have a lot of experience with TC, for they use it a lot in
their network for data.  You also mention that
you have no support from 3com, well do you have a case open with 3com?  Have
you spoken to anyone in 3com?
If you are saying that your truns turn off - more than likely you have telco
issue, irrespective of what ever hardware you put in there you are going run
into this issue.  Send me an email with details of the problem and what has
been troubleshoot - I can help you out.

-v

I'm looking at going to an Ascend/Lucent product but I don't know which one.
I would like the same manageability that the tc has.  Any suggestions would
be most helpfully.  Of course, I need something that is x2 and ISDN ready.

-