Subject: (usr-tc) Oh...it just gets better...

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:29:37 +0000

OK...

3Com has cancelled a post of mine in the totalservice user forums (news
server access)...

Posted a mention to the RAS group that the post had been cancelled.

Few minutes later, I start getting timeouts on trying to connect to the
totalservice news server.

So I call the 888 number for the Rolling Meadows location, punch 1
(voice-mail directory), and punch in the name Laureys, for Lance Laureys
and get connected to Mr. Laureys who seems to be the person at 3Com that
runs the news server (his account was the account that posted the cancel
message).

(This narrative is from memory, so almost assuredly not exact quotes,
but the gist of it is here)

I asked Mr. Laureys why it is that I couldn't connect to the news
server.

Lance: How did you get my phone number?

Me: I used the voice-mail directory system.  
                                
                                (888)662-5010, option 1, spell the last
                                name of the person you want

Lance: Oh...well...how did you get my name?

Me: Posts in the Totalservice User Forums

Lance: Oh...well...your network has been blocked by our security group
for telnet'ing to zircon, and for posting inappropriate material in
various places.

Me: I'm not sure what material that would be.

Lance: Well, you'll need to call our security group at...actually...let
me get your contact information and have them contact you.

Me: Ok, Jeff McAdams, (502)966-3848 ext. 1153.

Lance: OK

Me: Thanks

<click>
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:44:56 +0000

Man, your some kind of terrorist! Maybe guys will come in a 'short bus' to
rough you up? Can you imagine how giddy the guys in the 'security group'
must be? Of course this begs the question what they are securing. It is
obvious the company has no value, intends to have no value, intended to piss
of customers, intended to blow off support, and generally help their reps
recommend other equipment providers.

BTW, don't you just love it when that happens? They try to sell you on crap
from company #1 and then when you get sick of that they comiserate with you
and open the other side of their coat and offer replacements.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 12:24 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Oh...it just gets better...

-

---

From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:06:11 +0000

A vision of Dr. Evil telling Scott to "ZIP IT" comes to mind.....

Heck, now I can't quit thinking of 3com as Dr. Evil.....

"I am holding you v.90 modems hostage!  They'll never get v.92, that is
unless you pay me 100 Billion dollars!!!!

Jim

-

---

From: Jonathan Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:45:27 +0000

> unless you pay me 100 Billion dollars!!!!

Today I took delivery of Cisco AS5400s and 1 AS5300 (40 PRIs total). 
I got my mojo back :-)

The support we received from both our vendor and Cisco directly during
the eval period with a loaner AS5300 was nothing less than stellar.  It made
it pretty much a no-brainer when it came time to decide who would
get the business.

Cisco smiles all the way to the bank.

Jonathan

-