Subject: (usr-tc) ISDN connection problems at 56K

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:59:39 +0000

I have a community that is within our local calling scope that has always
required the ISDN connections be set for 56K on the client equipment. If we
set the client for 64K it would connect but no data would pass on the line
(both ends of the connection think there is a valid connection, this really
confuses the telco). In the last month or so I have begun having problems
where the circuits will not pass data for various length periods of time,
then will begin working. The routers (multiple sites) do not drop and redial
the calls, they are online the whole time (I have watched both the leds and
the system monitors at our end and the customer end). The telco is convinced
that if there is really a connection problem the ISDN connection would
immediately drop, but that is not my experience in this case.

Any ideas?

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 21:38:01 +0000

We had a similar problem here also, including affecting analog calls 
too.  The problem ended up being interoffice trunks on Ameritech's 
network between two local end offices.  2 T-1s out of 7 were taking 
errors.  Since signalling occurs on the ends of the calls and SS7 is on 
these trunks, the call wouldn't drop.  It took us 3 months to get them 
to find the problem.

Jeff

u>I have a community that is within our local calling scope that has
u>always required the ISDN connections be set for 56K on the client
u>equipment. If we set the client for 64K it would connect but no data
u>would pass on the line (both ends of the connection think there is a
u>valid connection, this really confuses the telco). In the last month
u>or so I have begun having problems where the circuits will not pass
u>data for various length periods of time, then will begin working. The
u>routers (multiple sites) do not drop and redial the calls, they are
u>the online the whole time (I have watched both the leds and system
u>monitors at our end and the customer end). The telco is convinced that
u>if there is really a connection problem the ISDN connection would
u>immediately drop, but that is not my experience in this case.

u>Any ideas?

u>Mark Thornton
u>San Marcos Internet, Inc.
u>512-393-5300

CMPQwk 1.42 9999

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:40:30 +0000

Also sprach Mark Thornton
>I have a community that is within our local calling scope that has
>always required the ISDN connections be set for 56K on the client
>equipment. If we set the client for 64K it would connect but no data
>would pass on the line (both ends of the connection think there is a
>valid connection, this really confuses the telco). In the last month or
>so I have begun having problems where the circuits will not pass data
>for various length periods of time, then will begin working. The
>routers (multiple sites) do not drop and redial the calls, they are
>online the whole time (I have watched both the leds and the system
>monitors at our end and the customer end). The telco is convinced that
>if there is really a connection problem the ISDN connection would

I'm in agreement with Jeff Binkley here...

Definitely sounds like an inter-office trunk problem (particularly since
they would only run at 56kbps initially).  Good luck getting the telco
to find it.  They will swear up and down that it can't be their trunks
because, "we're the telephone company."  (not in so many words, but
that's the attitude).

If you can get an ISDN test set to make the call with...that should show
up the problems without too much trouble at all.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:55:40 +0000

The telco has resolved the problem down to the IMT trunks as well. Oddly
though, I rebooted the TCH and am getting better performance since doing so.
The telco did confirm the behaviour of the 56K vs. 64K connections. When I
attempt 64K it accepts the call and routes it to a different tandem location
which then hands back to my telco, but my telco hits that tandem with 56K as
well. The tech is running tests over the local tandem to see what the
problem might be, but has put in a request to move the interconnects to 64k.
They did this in another office recently and I am hopeful they will also do
it here.

The remote telco is Verizon, and since they took over from GTE we have had
nothing but excellent response from the techs. They are working with very
outdated equipment that was poorly maintained, but the techs can apparently
get replacement and upgrade parts that were never available when they were
wearing GTE caps.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mcadams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) ISDN connection problems at 56K

-