Subject: (usr-tc) Fast busy signal

From: Donald Baud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:44:48 +0000

I am getting a recurring situation where the chassis stops taking calls and
gives a fast busy signal.
I have reported this issue to commworks' technical support but the
technician said that since I was running a chassis with more than 5 PRI with
dual 70amps, they could not guarantee anything.  I would need to use 130Amps
and he swiftly emailed me the 3com info bulletin about power consumption on
the chassis ...
I am hoping someone on the list could help me:

The problem affects mostly the chassis that receives most calls (i.e. the
one at the begining of the call queue).  It used to happen once in a while
but it now happens daily.

Inventory:
A chassis with dual 70amps, 1hiper arc(5.1.99-8 128Megs), 11 DSP's(2.1.9 PRI
5ESS)
the Arc is running ospf and using an IP pool of 260 IP's

Symptoms:
I checked the syslog files and noticed that at the time of the incident, the
Harc sends the following logs:

** Message: At 09:33:42, Facility "IP", Level "CRITICAL":: Deleting IGMP
network before finally freeing dynamic network IPpdb

** Message: At 09:34:18, Facility "IP", Level "CRITICAL":: Deleting IGMP
network before finally freeing dynamic network IPpdb

[...] (Previous message was repeated 10 times)

** Message: At 09:38:48, Facility "IP", Level "CRITICAL":: ip_fwd_get_opt:
no IP address available for dynamic address assignment

** Message: At 09:38:48, Facility "IP", Level "CRITICAL":: Deleting IGMP
network before finally freeing dynamic network IPpdb

** Message: At 09:39:04, Facility "IP", Level "CRITICAL":: ip_fwd_get_opt:
no IP address available for dynamic address assignment

[..] (Previous message was repeated several times)

I then noticed that an OSPF cisco neigbor complained that the interface on
the HARC went down:
** Message: 85194: May 18 13:42:23.095: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on FastEthernet0/1 from FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Dead
timer expired

At this point, all dialup customers have been disconnected from the DSP's on
the chassis
And I see the following syslog message from HiperArc:

** Message: At 09:43:23, Facility "Configurator", Level "INFORMATION"::
HiPer system configuration complete at 5/18/2001 09:43:23

Doing a "show board crash" shows that a crash happened at 5/18/2001 09:41:43

============================

- I don't think this is related to the number of cards in the chassis
because I've seen this happen with another chassis loaded with 7 DSPs
- I've tried several HARC codes.  All 5.x.xx crash
- The DSP's show LocalOutOfService or RemoteOutOfService on most of the PRI
channels.  The only way to restore them is to reboot the DSP.

D Baud

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:14:46 +0000

Also sprach Donald Baud
>I am getting a recurring situation where the chassis stops taking calls
>and gives a fast busy signal.  I have reported this issue to commworks'
>technical support but the technician said that since I was running a
>chassis with more than 5 PRI with dual 70amps, they could not guarantee
>anything.  I would need to use 130Amps and he swiftly emailed me the
>3com info bulletin about power consumption on the chassis ...  I am
>hoping someone on the list could help me:

Call tech support back and ask to speak to someone with a clue.  Maybe
just ask them to escalate...if they don't, raise hell.

That's a b*llsh*t answer and cop out at best.  Ask to speak to a manager
maybe and complain about the person that gave it to you.

-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-