Subject: (usr-tc) outdated mibs, what did I expect?

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:07:54 +0000

I have come to the conclusion that the mib's delivered by 3Com are based on
RFC's that are so out of date as to not be in general circulation anymore.
Additionally, if you go to 3Com's ftp site and try to find any mib's that
support the TCH, they aren't there. Says a lot about the company we all
bought into. Maybe my dsl implementation will take this headache away from
me because it sure is a pain to keep dealing with this crap everyday.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:58:39 +0000

Also sprach Mark Thornton
>I have come to the conclusion that the mib's delivered by 3Com are
>based on RFC's that are so out of date as to not be in general
>circulation anymore.  Additionally, if you go to 3Com's ftp site and
>try to find any mib's that support the TCH, they aren't there. Says a
>lot about the company we all bought into. Maybe my dsl implementation
>will take this headache away from me because it sure is a pain to keep
>dealing with this crap everyday.

The 3Com mibs are available in the totalservice software download area.
These are only the 3Com mibs though, it doesn't include the "standard"
mibs, which you'll need to find elsewhere (a quick web search for the
mib name I would suspect turn them up).  Yes, it would be nice if 3Com
made a good mib selection available, and it would be nice if files on
the ftp server were available with some semblance of naming that made
sense rather than just a bunch of numbers for each of the file names
(this includes all the pdf documentation files).  I really am glad that
3Com *doesn't* include the standard mib files in with thier own as that
means I can just straight unzip their files into my mib directory and
not worry about it blowing away some other newer "standard" mib file
that I may have gotten elsewhere.

In all actually, I have started recently using multiple MIBDIRS, so I
have my standard mib files seperated out from my vendor specific mib
files now, so that's less of a problem, but still nice.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-