Subject: (usr-tc) Thoughts on support contracts...

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 18:11:57 +0000

I had a thought cross my mind last night (it does happen occasionally) that
I want to bounce off the list. First let me say that in the short time I
have been on this list I have learned a great deal about configuration
issues that have plagued me for some time. I wouldn't drop this list no
matter what.

The thought revolved around the support list for one of my software vendors.
As a paid support client I have access to the list(s) which include active
participation of the tech support department. Many problems are solved on
the list in full view of others so the knowledge of solutions is quickly
spread through the user group. The list also becomes a quick way to validate
bugs and distribute solutions. In the case of my vendor they typically
respond to bugs within hours so it is very effective. We all know that our
money is going to further the product and we are participants in the
process.

I have another software vendor that maintains a mail list but it is not
officially monitored by the technical support group. We are supposed to
kinda flounder around and figure things out, then if we get really desperate
we can call tech support. The problem is that all the solutions are locked
up in thier database, not publicly available to the users to minimize future
requests for the same information. I haven't yet convinced them that it is
to their advantage to make as much information available as possible. It
will reduce their tech support load considerably, allowing them to focus on
real problems. Then I realized that 3Com has the same issue.

I suspect that if 3Com dedicated a tech to a mailing list to address issues
for the smaller clients like us, meaning fewer than a thousand TCH systems
per pop, it would go a long way to resolving many of the relationship
problems we are experiencing. The techs we do have appearing on this list
are obviously doing this in between other tasks. I'm sure we appreciate the
time they can provide, though I'm sure they have to steer clear of most of
the politically charged stuff.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 18:58:58 +0000

Thus spake Mark Thornton
>I suspect that if 3Com dedicated a tech to a mailing list to address
>issues for the smaller clients like us, meaning fewer than a thousand
>TCH systems per pop, it would go a long way to resolving many of the
>relationship problems we are experiencing. The techs we do have
>appearing on this list are obviously doing this in between other tasks.
>I'm sure we appreciate the time they can provide, though I'm sure they
>have to steer clear of most of the politically charged stuff.

Actually...I think the presense of the techs on the list now is probably
officially sanctioned (if you will) by 3Com at this point.  I get the
impression that the initial appearance of them on the list was done on
their own, but over time 3Com has realized the value of this list.  :)
Yes, I believe the techs do other things other than just support people
on this list, but given how things are split up within 3Com, this
actually makes some sense.  

For example...some of you may have noticed that depending on the part of
the TC chassis being asked about, different techs tend to respond.  :)
So, if you ask about something on the Arcs you'll likely here from Krish
and Mike, and occasionally from Dominic.  If you ask about something on
the NMC card, you're likely going to hear from Steve Valiunas.  :)  From
my understanding, tech support in 3Com is (wisely) broken up into
groupings of functionality of the individual components...so, for
example, the HiPer Arc will be handled by a different group from the
HiPer DSP because the two cards have significantly different functions.
So...the folks that work with the Arcs also handle...uhm...I *think* the
CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System), and HiPer Trax...both of which
also run the Pilgrim code base, and as such have much in common with the
HiPer Arc.  

This all makes sense if you think about it, but means that its not
feasible to have one tech *dedicated* to list as they would have to have
a knowledge base across the whole product line...that's just not
feasible to do.  :)

Believe me...I understand where 3Com comes up with this idea...if you
look in the archives at my posts, you'll probably see that I answer more
HiPer Arc and NETServer questions than I do quad or DSP questions...my
knowledge of modems just isn't nearly as deep as my knowledge of IP
routing, PPP, routing protocols, etc (stuff that runs on a router :)

I think 3Com actually does a pretty decent job anymore of doing what you
suggest...the techs are here (blessed by 3Com corporate is my
understanding)...the 3Com knowledgebase is available...its getting some
decent content in it...though it could still be better, it is improving.
My understanding is that the 3kb is the same database that the techs
work out of (except for the ones in their heads...which is certainly
tremendously bigger than the one in my head!).

On the actual tech support side of things...I think 3Com is doing a
decent job at this point...there are some outstanding issues, certainly,
as have been brought up here...seemingly the biggest is v.90
compatibility...but when you call, wait times are short, you usually get
someone now that can at least talk coherently about the product (at
least this has been my experience).  I still have some other beefs as
well...security issues need to be addressed faster...I've mentioned this
before...none of these things are really to the point of a crisis
situation (at least for me)...v.90 being close.

Yes, the main problem now, is not being able to obtain support once you
have the contract...the problem is being able to obtain the support
contract in the first place so you can then easily obtain the support
if/when you need it!
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-