Subject: (usr-tc) Compression?

From: Scott Kupferschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 06:34:34 +0000

Hi...

At work we have a 3com/USR Total Control NETserver.. fully populated with
12 quad cards (48 modems).  I am using RADIUS for authentication and all,
but I'm wondering if there's a way to know or check to see if it supports
STAC compression on the ISDN at all or not.  If so I'd really like to know
howto turn it on.

For the curious, we are using Cistron radiusd, and which I don't know how
to make it use/recognize the STAC compression if it's available.  Also,
how do you turn on / check for regular tcp header compression?  The reason
why I ask is at home I have my Cisco 1004 dialing in (at 128kbps) and when
I tell it to use compression.. it just rejects it on the NETserver from
what my debugging tells me.

>From what other people have told me, NETserver's aren't the greatest for
compression, but considering I'd probably be the only one using it, I'd
rather attempt to use it.

If anyone is of help, please write back.. Thanks.

Scott

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:57:46 +0000

Thus spake Scott Kupferschmidt
>At work we have a 3com/USR Total Control NETserver.. fully populated
>with 12 quad cards (48 modems).  I am using RADIUS for authentication
>and all, but I'm wondering if there's a way to know or check to see if
>it supports STAC compression on the ISDN at all or not.  If so I'd
>really like to know howto turn it on.

set ccp on

This is default, so it should be on already.

>For the curious, we are using Cistron radiusd, and which I don't know
>how to make it use/recognize the STAC compression if it's available.
>Also, how do you turn on / check for regular tcp header compression?
>The reason why I ask is at home I have my Cisco 1004 dialing in (at
>128kbps) and when I tell it to use compression.. it just rejects it on
>the NETserver from what my debugging tells me.

Here's the kicker...the NETServer (and I believe the Arc does this as
well) will only negotiate CCP if it believes it has enough CPU
horsepower to be able to do it without adverse affects.  Because the
thing only has a 486 processor, if it has a lot of calls on it, it will
reject CCP in order to conserve the processor for normal packet
processing.  This is a "Good Thing".
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:30:39 +0000

newer arc's a using p-5 based chips... I'n not sure of the part #'s.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:43:24 +0000

Thus spake Paul Farber
>newer arc's a using p-5 based chips... I'n not sure of the part #'s.

NETServers all used 486's (though the clock speed varied some over time
from 33Mhz to 100Mhz...I think really early ones might even have been
25Mhz).

The Arc's use a PowerPC 603 chip...which certainly gives them extra
oomph to handle more CCP.  I believe you may be thinking of the HiPer
NMC, which is a Pentium based board.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:03:58 +0000

you are correct!  don't know why i say ARC but think nmc.

Doesn't matter.  3Com is on it way out... to much trouble, not enough
support and way to many headaches.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: "Clint R. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:33:12 +0000

I hate to say it since there are lots of negative comments lately on the 3
Com Total Controls. We use the Hiper versions and have no problems, we love
the things they work great and we have them at various pops handling on
average 8,000 log-ins a day. Our call failure rate is 4% and we have these
on GTE switches (GDT5) and Ameritech switches (5ESS). We have occasional
problems with modem pairs failing but not very often. Overall since 3 Com
has released better Hiper DSP code just about any modem works on them and
connect speeds overall are very good. We have used other types of equipment
from other manufacturers and they are no better that we have seen.

On 3 Com support it sucks bad if you do not have a full 24x7 contract, we do
have now and I get right through everytime and they are quick to help or
ship out a replacement part, so I cannot complain. I of course have to pay
for the contract which I really did not want to do before I finally got one,
but now that I have it I will always renew it. When you look at the cost of
one verses keeping your customers happy and your equipment running properly
it is a small price to pay. These are of course my personal feelings but I
have been on both ends and I am much less stressed now with a contract
believe me.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you,

Clint R. Sparks
ComQuest Internet Services
[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Farber" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Compression?

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:48:47 +0000

I would have to concurr with this in it's entirety.

We've been using the HiPer TC for about 2 years now, and initially,
getting in touch with a support engineer took a great deal of tooth
pulling.  In the last year or so, I've never observed the wait queue to
be more than 2 deep, and furthermore, I've had engineers call ME to
follow up on calls.

The only problem I have now (and it's admittedly minor) is that we're
located 15 minutes from their parts depot, but they won't hold an item
for "will-call", it can only be shipped.  So, we wait for an overnight
delivery when we could have sent someone to pick it up.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-