Subject: (usr-tc) Forcing DNS

From: Justin Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 02:15:56 +0000

I have about 300 Setup CD's with the wrong primary and secondary DNS numbers
burned to it.  I can't come up with anything to redirect the DNS queries at
my Cisco 1601 (not running BGP).  I've got the HARC setup to assign DNS, and
it works properly, but is there a way for me to force the client to use what
the HARC specifies?

TIA,

Justin

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Richard Lorbieski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 02:22:03 +0000

What are the IP addresses?

You maybe able to alias them on your DNS server.

-- 

Richard Lorbieski - [email-masked]
Chief Technical Officer - Senior System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet  http://www.alpha1.net
409.731.8236  - 877.4.alpha1 (877.425.7421)

-

---

From: Justin Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 02:35:26 +0000

'fraid not, the ip's that are getting specified aren't mine, they're
Sprint's.  My sales rep (God bless his soul) gave me the authoritive name
server addresses for Sprint which don't actually resolve names....

Justin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Lorbieski" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Forcing DNS

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 02:45:53 +0000

Sounds to me like Sprint owes you 300 setup CDs.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Justin Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 03:03:37 +0000

My thoughts exactly...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Forcing DNS

-

---

From: Richard Lorbieski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 03:14:31 +0000

Doesn't matter, you can create an ip alias on the DNS server (the 2 ips)
and have your router redirect them to the real IP of DNS server.

-- 

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:01:59 +0000

I have the same problem.  On the DNS server I have it answer for both the
old and new DNS server IP (set up an ip alias in linux).  Then on the
cisco use:

ip route old.ip.add.ress 255.255.255.255 eth0

when the dial up sends a DNS request to the old ip, since it's not local
it gets sent to the cisco... the cisco looks in its route table for the
most specific route to the network the DNS server is on.. it sees the
old.ip.add.ress and shoots the packet out the eth0 (back onto your local
LAN) for the DNS server to respond to it.  You may want to add the
static route to your term server to save a trip to the cisco.. but it may
be more convienant to do it there.

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 07:58:03 +0000

Hey, it doesn't matter if the ip's are microsofts even..........if you
want/need to hijack them for a bit, do it.  Just bind them to your current
nameservers.  Watch the activity to those ip's, and contact the people
gradually to start changing them out............

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 15:49:42 +0000

>server addresses for Sprint which don't actually resolve names....

Change the customer's connectiod properties "TCP/IP Settings" to "Server
assigned DNS". We've been working towards getting all of our customers set
up this way so they don't fall victim to any future renumbering.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000/886-2500   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:53:55 +0000

Doesn't matter whose IP address it is.  Just add an IP alias for it on
your nameserver, and add a static host route (/32) on your Cisco to point
to it. Don't route the whole subnet, just the individual IPs.

We did this when we found we had some very old customers using a DNS
server of BBN's offsite (before we did server assigned DNS) and BBN
renumbered it -- we fudged in an alias for it long enough for us to call
all the affected users up and get them to change over to server assigned
DNS.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 18:29:10 +0000

On this note, found a neat little app that will hunt through all DUN
connectoids on a PC and change phone numbers, area codes, DNS settings, etc.
Great idea when you have a system-wide change like DNS or area codes.
Creates a small 45K exectuable that can be thrown on a web page or sent in
an email for each user to install. Haven't tried it, but seems worth the
$150.

http://www.phuzzion.com/DUNIT/index.html

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Forcing DNS

> > > > burned to it.  I can't come up with anything to redirect the DNS
queries
> > at
> > > > my Cisco 1601 (not running BGP).  I've got the HARC setup to assign
DNS,
> > and
> > > > it works properly, but is there a way for me to force the client to
use
> > what

-