Subject: (usr-tc) Need help with ISDN Channel Bonding

From: "Clint R. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:54:49 +0000

I need some help with an ISDN BRI setup we are trying to do. We are trying
to hookup a Cisco 1604R ISDN BRI Router to the Hiper DSP Total Control,
Ameritech filled the order for BRI two B channels and 1 D Channel and we can
manage to hook one B channel no problem but when we try to bond or multilink
the two B channels together it will hookup the second channel for
approximately two or three seconds and then it dies and about one second
later the first B channel that had been hooked up dies. We are running Hiper
DSP code 2.0.51 on the particular Hiper DSP card it is on and Hiper ARC code
4.1.59-6. 3 Com looked at our setup on the Total Control and said it look
right, Cisco looked at the 1604R and said it looked right. And Ameritech
said the B channels are setup right.

Now we are lost, something is not right so someone is wrong and we cannot
figure what it is. Does anyone have any ideas or know if there is something
the Telco has to do to allow two B channels to bond on a BRI setup?

Ameritech says they do not that it is all done at each equipment end which I
know but we are searching for anything at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Clint R. Sparks
ComQuest Internet Services
[email-masked]

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 05:01:18 +0000

Thus spake Clint R. Sparks
>I need some help with an ISDN BRI setup we are trying to do. We are
>trying to hookup a Cisco 1604R ISDN BRI Router to the Hiper DSP Total
>Control, Ameritech filled the order for BRI two B channels and 1 D
>Channel and we can manage to hook one B channel no problem but when we
>try to bond or multilink the two B channels together it will hookup the
>second channel for approximately two or three seconds and then it dies
>and about one second later the first B channel that had been hooked up
>dies. We are running Hiper DSP code 2.0.51 on the particular Hiper DSP
>card it is on and Hiper ARC code 4.1.59-6. 3 Com looked at our setup on
>the Total Control and said it look right, Cisco looked at the 1604R and
>said it looked right. And Ameritech said the B channels are setup
>right.

Get a debug/dump of the PPP negotiation on both of the channels...that
will probably give you an idea of where the connection is breaking down.

>Now we are lost, something is not right so someone is wrong and we
>cannot figure what it is. Does anyone have any ideas or know if there
>is something the Telco has to do to allow two B channels to bond on a
>BRI setup?

>Ameritech says they do not that it is all done at each equipment end
>which I know but we are searching for anything at this point.

No...to the telephone company...a bundled connection is two totally
seperate, unrelated phone calls.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Ronald Kushner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:47:11 +0000

> seperate, unrelated phone calls.

Well, that depends. I have a customer who was losing his D channel when he
brings up his second B channel, you have to make sure the ISDN line isn't
hosed. We were able to prove it's a telco issue by plugging telephones into
the POTS ports on his router and pull dialtone of both lines, well attempt
to pull dialtone on both lines. I took multiple brand routers to his house
and they all showed the same problem. 

And of course the ISDN line tested fine, but upon further review they found
some bits were being scrambled in the MUX to the SLC-96. It took 119 days
for Ameritech to resolve this, they kept blaming the CPE. Eventually they
got some gal on the phone who used a protocol analyzer and said "Boom, this
is wrong, this is wrong, click click" and everything has worked fine since.
Funny thing was the "Blue Box" tester the techs use seemed to work fine,
they must break rules that the routers don't. Of course nobody knows how the
bits got scrambled, and the CO itself (A Siemens EWSD switch) is run by
Siemens out of Wisconsin.

Things shouldn't be this tough. Ameritech sure has gone to hell since SBC
took them over, nobody knows anything anymore (more clueless than before
SBC), and whenever you call them they use guerrilla marketing techniques on
you, even if the call is to the repair department. Are you sure you don't
want Super Feature Plan XYZ sir for $70 more a month once your line is
fixed? Plus they added a $3.28 "state access charge" to the phone bill on
each line, calling the PSC to complain and they tell me SBC just made up
that charge and there's nothing they can do about it. Scumbags.

-Ron
GLISnet, Inc.
+1 810/939.9885

-

---

From: Aaron Nabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:45:46 +0000

Has anyone figgured out how to hang up a call via session-id?  The one in
my radius entries is usually off by some small number (1-3) from the ones
in the ARC snmp.

--
Aaron Nabil

-