Subject: RE: (usr-tc) Support Contract survey

From: "Stainforth, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 19:38:38 +0000

Bear in mind, though, that some of the guys on this list could hire a 3Com
engineer for what it would cost to cover all their Total Control equipment
with a full service contract.

And, to me, charging for software upgrades (read, bugfixes not feature
enhancements) is borderline fraud.  Charge me money to fix code that doesn't
work right?  Get real.

Matthew Stainforth  ||  Technical Services Manager ||  BrunNet Inc.

> Before I had a contract all kinds of problems getting 3 Com's 
> help wanted to
> kick Total Controls out door but with a contract no 
> complaints, keep in mind
> I have the full support contract and I always get the help I 
> need or want. I
> guess my case is an exception to the rule from what you are 
> saying, but it
> works for me so I cannot complain. If it did not I would 
> complain believe
> me. One thing I do now when I do need to call 3 Com for 
> support is I ask for
> the same person which helps a lot as he knows who I am which expedites
> things as he knows when I call we have already tried everything.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Marius Kirschner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:00:32 +0000

> enhancements) is borderline fraud.  Charge me money to fix code
> that doesn't work right?  Get real.

Amen!!

Because of the problems I had getting software replaced I actually stopped
buying or recommending ANY 3Com product, may that be NIC's, hubs, swtiches,
etc.

                      ---Marius (Agora Online)

-

---

From: Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:07:46 +0000

>enhancements) is borderline fraud.  Charge me money to fix code that doesn't

  I agree with this completely, I'm paying for software "upgrades" simply
to fix what was supposed to work in the first place, and I'm not being
given access to even upgrade some items(S&A Server for one) that they had
supported before. As noted by someone else(Paul?), I could care less about
added features like VoIP, I just want solid, reliable connections and
problems like the hung modem pairs corrected.
  Hardware-wise, I've been very pleased with my TC chassis but, if 3Com
doesn't soon rectify their support contract nightmare I'll be faced with
buying something else in the future and/or finding "alternative" methods of
keeping current software on what I have.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000/886-2500   http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:28:20 +0000

> with a full service contract.

yep.

> enhancements) is borderline fraud.  Charge me money to fix code that doesn't

I agree, if its a feature I paid for, then I should get the software that
has that feature working properly.

Brian

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny (BF304)     [email-masked]   
318-222-2638 x 109	http://www.shreve.net/~signal      
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881) 	      

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:32:01 +0000

Thus spake Brian
>> And, to me, charging for software upgrades (read, bugfixes not
>> feature enhancements) is borderline fraud.  Charge me money to fix
>> code that doesn't work right?  Get real.

>I agree, if its a feature I paid for, then I should get the software
>that has that feature working properly.

And, of course, that just screams out for a reminder about the
NETServer/MPIP fiasco.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-