Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiPer Arc improvement thoughts followup :)

From: ROC Services <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:48:13 +0000

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Mike Andrews wrote:

[snip]

> Multilink PPP got real slow in the last DSP releases and needs work again.

This seems to still be a problem.

HDSP 2.0.81 / HARC 4.2.32-1

We've got a customer who uses 4 channels of ISDN.  We just moved them from
a Livingston PM2 which is dying rapidly to our TC box on PRI.  Since the
move, throughput is way down, and I did a 'mon ppp' to see if I could see
any reason why.

On the 'mon ppp', we get a pretty even distribution among the user's four
channels on inbound traffic.  However, all outbound traffic seems to go
out the same channel.  Could this perhaps explain something, or does 'mon
ppp' display outbound multilink packets incorrectly?

Remote router is a Cisco 3620 running IOS 11.2(11), which until earlier
this week was performing much better connected to the PM2.

Any input would be appreciated, and I'll be happy to work with anyone who
wants to look into this, test code, etc.

I have not tried 2.0.60, but I don't see anything about multilink in its
release notes.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mike Wronski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:24:55 +0000

|-----Original Message-----
|From: [email-masked]
|[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ROC Services
|Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 2:38 PM
|To: [email-masked]
|Subject: Re: (usr-tc) HiPer Arc improvement thoughts followup :)
|
|
|On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Mike Andrews wrote:
|
|[snip]
|
|> Multilink PPP got real slow in the last DSP releases and needs
|work again.
|
|This seems to still be a problem.
|
|HDSP 2.0.81 / HARC 4.2.32-1
|
|We've got a customer who uses 4 channels of ISDN.  We just moved them from
|a Livingston PM2 which is dying rapidly to our TC box on PRI.  Since the
|move, throughput is way down, and I did a 'mon ppp' to see if I could see
|any reason why.
|
|On the 'mon ppp', we get a pretty even distribution among the user's four
|channels on inbound traffic.  However, all outbound traffic seems to go
|out the same channel.  Could this perhaps explain something, or does 'mon
|ppp' display outbound multilink packets incorrectly?

A assume that by inbound you mean traffic from the user? MON PPP should show
the correct ports for the traffic. To verify this, monitor the interfaces by
name and not by username. Or use the TAP feature. You should see two-way
data on all 4 interfaces.

|Remote router is a Cisco 3620 running IOS 11.2(11), which until earlier
|this week was performing much better connected to the PM2.
|
|Any input would be appreciated, and I'll be happy to work with anyone who
|wants to look into this, test code, etc.

For this you need to open a ticket with support.

-M

-

---

From: ROC Services <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:54:42 +0000

> data on all 4 interfaces.

yes, "inbound" meaning from the user, outbound meaning toward the user.  
'mon ppp' seems to only see outbound traffic on one of the interfaces
(although it does see LCP ECHOs and replies on all of them), whether
monitoring by user or interface.  TAP USER shows two-way traffic on all
4.  Odd, but probably not a clue to the nature of the problem...

> For this you need to open a ticket with support.

No contract... just thought I'd toss it out here in case it was a known
issue, more hoping someone would tell me I've missed a setting, than
looking for anyone from 3Com to put effort into it.  Thanks for the reply,
though.

-