Subject: [USR-TC] National vs Custom problem (HiperDSPs)

From: Mike Tindor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:00:10 +0000

In one of our specific coverage areas we are using Alltel - Their switch
is a DMS-10 that does not support (or is not optioned for) DMS Custom
settings.  We are forced to use National.

We have three PRIs in this area - Calls come in on first available open
channel in the hunt.

I can't seem to get our DSPs to actually communicate in an effective
manner with these PRIs -- 1-3 times a week I'll find a DSP with an alarm
on it.  The only way I have found to reset any single one of the three
Primes is to reset them all -- and in a weird fashion.

Reset Backs of cards in order - slot 1, then slot 2, then slot 3
Wait 10 seconds
Reset Fronts of cards in reverse order - slot 3, slot 2, slot 1

In the above fashion I can get them all up and working again so there are
no alarms and they appear to be taking calls.  However, as soon as Card #3
needs to take a call due to #1 and #2 being full, any number of the DSPS
will alarm.  But even when there were only two PRIs, we had the same
problem with one or both alarming and the DSPs needing completely reset.

This just doesn't happen with Custom settings - Alltel swears they can't
provide me with Custom.  There has to be another way to do this (certainly
my configuration may be suboptimal).

Trunk Settings
---------------
ESF
B8ZS
Message Oriented
DNIS
priSwNI2

(these are FAS 23B+1D)

   Span1 Service Message support is :  SENDING SERVICE MESSAGES DISABLED

Can anybody give me suggestions for better management and reliability when
using National settings?

Thanks,

Mike Tindor
FIRST Internet