Subject: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92

From: John Scrivner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:15:58 +0000

Could someone please list the minimum equipment needed in a chassis to
perform V.92?

I have been hearing lately that I will have to replace my management
card? I know that quads are not supported so those are now junk. I have
a number of Hiper's and I hear they will work.

Also, are there any trade in programs that give a decent value for
upgrading?

I am certainly not looking forward to spending a bunch more on the soft
dialup business. Cable has been selling 256k here for 29.95 per month
with no setup fee and a free cable modem. No long term commitment
needed. I HATE THOSE GUYS !! Any help is appreciated.
Scriv

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Ed Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:52:21 +0000

Tom,

  First off thanks for addressing me publicly. I would have preferred a
letter privately and before now. However, since you did, let me say that
we did meet the goals set forth and if we did not get it in time for
your goals it wasn't our fault but our 'Source'. I look at this as a cop
out honestly. We spent above and beyond and did what we could to help
and what did we get? The silent treatment...

Tom I think you are a great 'salesman' at heart... but man there is much
more at stake here. A lot more money that ISP's have spent and supported
3com than a few words can heal. I am a salesman and I know that in sales
you can talk an awesome line... But to make people really like you and
your product you have to follow through with promises. 

Tom wrote: "As a direct result of some of Ed's comments and others on
the list about a low or no cost NMC upgrade to get people hardware ready
for v92 the NMC program was developed."

Right and what has it solved? Can you send me the v.92 upgrade? What is
the cost? Why do it via a support contract? How is this a good solution
for me the ISP who has invested over a million in 3com equipment? (other
suppliers like Cisco would love to have our current and future business)

We need proof from 3com that we as ISP's are appreciated. Nothing
less...

--
Edgar D. Taylor
President/CEO
FIRST USA Inc.
Voice: (800)716-6190
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.1st.net
--

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 1:13 PM
To: Kirk Mitchell
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [USR-TC] Re: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92

To the USR-TC List on these topics:

V92 release date
HiPer ARC Flash Requirements for Marshall Morgan
Why DSP in the NMC Bundle     for Kirk Mitchell
Why Ed Taylor never got Palm Pilots

--------------------------------------------------------------
TCS 4.5 (v92) release date has been pushed out to solve some PCM
Upstream issues from the Beta.  I will confirm a date as soon as I can.
Any push usually means 60 days.

___________________________________
HiPer ARC requirements:
TCS 4.2 required 8MB Flash and 128MB DRAM
TCS 4.3 requires 16MB Flash and 128MB DRAM
TCS 4.5 (v92) is built off TCS 4.3 and its requirements.

When upgrading code there is a feature that holds the previous code and
new code in flash until 100% complete.  The size of the code for the
HiPer ARC  adding both TCS 4.2 and TCS 4.3 together is larger than 8MB.
So its all in the file size.

What we are doing about it.

Flash is soldered on the board which makes it difficult to upgrade.  We
are looking to see if the boards can be re-worked changing to the 16MB
Flash and the logistics involved.

We are also looking into changing the upload steps to allow new code to
write over the older code thus allowing the 8MB to stay put.  The danger
in this is if there is a time out during the upload you end up with a
bad card. ____________________________________

Kirk,  Why require a HiPer DSP with the NMC bundle?  To offset the list
price of the NMC and the possible discounting I can get approved.  Also
if you looked at upgrading say 6 chassis with a list price NMC of $,4995
you are looking at spending just shy of $30K for what NMC's.  If we wrap
some ports around it you can take advantage of a different costing model
and show your investors or people you borrow money from that it for
growth.

Its a choice:  The list price of a NMC card is $4,995 and the list price
of the a HiPer DSP is $12,000 for two in a bundle called the Double Play
or doing the math that's $6,000 for one.  This could make the $7,500 NMC
bundle a $6,000 DSP and a $1500 HiPer NMC.  Such a deal.  There is also
a $500 rebate for your old NMC making this a $1,000 NMC at list price.
Call your reseller for your actual price.

Note Are you a Power Play Member???  Power Play Members get a bigger
rebate $2,100.

http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Service_Provider/powerplayISP.asp

___________________________________

Why Ed Taylor never got Palm Pilots

It seems that every e-mail from Ed to this list states that either I
don't care or that he is due Palm Pilots.  Let's start with the I don't
care. Thank's to all the e-mails and kind words from the ISPs that know
I do care and do whatever possible for them. As a direct result of some
of Ed's comments and others on the list about a low or no cost NMC
upgrade to get people hardware ready for v92 the NMC program was
developed. As for the Palm Pilot Issue.  A few years back 2 or 3, I went
out to visit with Ed and his crew.  I had my Sales Manager and Network
Consultant with me.  During the course of our conversations we asked Ed
if he had the ability to repeat an order he placed at the beginning of
that month of some 5 Double Plays.  My Sales Manager started to cut a
deal with Ed, buy an additional 5 Double Plays by the end of that month
which was the end of our Quarter and he would send them 5 Palm Pilots.

Ed did buy the 5 additional Double Plays but not until the following
month.  This did not meet our quarterly goals, help put us in a bonus
situation or meet the criteria of the deal that my Sales Manager put in
place.  One of Ed's crew called me after placing the order past the cut
off to see if we could still give them the Palm's anyway and I checked
on it and was turned down.  That message was relayed and asked and
answer again later on that year.

With that said I don't know of anything I can do to make this right with
Ed.  I do not have Palm's we sold that company off.  He did not meet the
requirements which should have been put in writing to avoid any
questions but they we not.

I will now put on my asbestos underwear and prepare to the flames.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Kirk Mitchell <[email-masked]>@mailman.xmission.com on 11/14/2001
02:35:03 PM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  [USR-TC] Re: (usr-tc) Getting Ready for V.92

At 02:34 PM 11/12/01 -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>
>NMC Card Trade In
>http://www.commworks.com/Programs/Promotional_Offers/TC1000_v.92_upgrad
>epack/

Why the requirement to purchase a DSP in addition to the HiPer NMC?

--
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000   http://www.keyconn.net

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc