Subject: (usr-tc) Multicast

From: Steve Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:16:35 +0000

I have a USR/3Com Totalcontrol NAS with PRI/T1 cards in it.  Does anyone
know if these support multicast by default, and if not can someone point
me
the direction of some documentation on how to turn this on?

Also I just setup another one of these boxes, but it wont let me telnet
into it, is there something I need to turn on in order to be able to
telnet into this box?

Thanks

-Steve

- 
Steve Johnson - [email-masked]      Sonic.net, Inc.
System Administrator                    300 B Street #100
707.522.1000 (Voice)                    Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707.547.2199 (Fax)                      http://www.sonic.net/

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Antonio Querubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:14:01 +0000

> the direction of some documentation on how to turn this on?

You'll need a HiPer ARC router card installed in the chassis to do
multicast.  The Netserver router card has no multicast capability.  
Multicast is disabled by default on the HiPer ARC.  To turn it on you do
something like:

set ip multicast proxy interface eth:1
set ip igmp eth:1 multicast_forwarding enabled
set network user default igmp multicast_forwarding enabled
set network user default igmp multicast_proxy enabled
set network user default igmp routing enabled

This seems to work for users wishing to receive multicast via dialup.  I
haven't yet tested whether this also allows users to source multicast via
dialup.

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:52:30 +0000

if a user is configured via radius with no multicast radius options, but
the ARC has the commands below configured, will that user be able to
receive multicast?

I can add the 5 lines to my ARC's, but don't want to have to add 3 lines
to every users radius profile if I don't have too.

At first look it doesn't appear to be working.  Is there a "show" or
"list" command that will tell me that mutlicast is enabled for a user?

I am trying this dialed in, and trying to run SDR but get nothing.  I am
using a pipeline which has multicast enabled on it (perhaps the ARC does
not build or forward an SDR cache information?)

Brian

>  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-----------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCNA, CCDA       [email-masked]   
Network Administrator	      
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)	      

-

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:10:04 +0000

> the ARC has the commands below configured, will that user be able to

Yes - Its very easy.  See the hiper arc uses a template, user for all its 
configuration.  If radius provides the data, the template is overridden else 
the template is used.  So all you have to do is setup the default user on the 
hiper arc local configuration with multicast options.  That will apply to all 
your radius users when they dial in.

> not build or forward an SDR cache information?)

For multicast to work - you do need to have the multicast server (real or Ms) 
on the same wire of if its a hop away - you should have PIM dense mode enabled 
on all the router hops/interfaces.  Also I think you have to set the multicast 
IGMP address on the Hiper arc.  I think the command is set ip_source_address 
igmp <ip address of the interface>

-V

> >  "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:18:43 +0000

> on all the router hops/interfaces.  Also I think you have to set the multicast 

My network uses pim sparse mode, its enabled thruout the whole
network.......I assume this is ok.  Since my network is multicast all the
way thru my upstreams even........I should be able to view streams from
any servers on the multicast enabled network correct?

> igmp <ip address of the interface>

when you say "multicast igmp address" what address is that exactly?  Is
that to point at my border router?  Or is that a unique address to assign
the arc?..........sorry i am a bit confused.

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:27:29 +0000

> igmp <ip address of the interface>

I do see the multicast queries from the arc coming into my dialup lan:

[root@bl0wfish mtrace-5.2]# /usr/sbin/tcpdump ip multicast
Kernel filter, protocol ALL, datagram packet socket
tcpdump: listening on all devices
21:21:42.561027 eth0 M usr2ts2.shreve.net > ALL-SYSTEMS.MCAST.NET: igmp query [ttl 1]
21:23:47.597577 eth0 M usr2ts2.shreve.net > ALL-SYSTEMS.MCAST.NET: igmp query [ttl 1]

but I am unsure if its going out from my lan to the arc.........or getting
thru the arc rather.

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:38:04 +0000

> any servers on the multicast enabled network correct?

You have to setup your network with PIM dense mode, sparse mode will not
work.  So your egde router should be set with pim dense mode.
Once that is done you want to set this on the hiper arc

set ip appLICATION_SOURCE_ADDRESS igMP <eth:1> or <eth:2>

Which ever interface is attached to that network.
Now you have to setup the default user - enable igmp for the default user,
enable igmp for the eth:1 or eth:2 interface.  Set the default user and
the eth:1/eth:2 interface to proxy, send and receive Igmp.

-V

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:38:06 +0000

> the eth:1/eth:2 interface to proxy, send and receive Igmp.

once this is all working, whats a good "test" to see that its working
properly?  I thought I could use Media Player........and went to
www.mediacrossing.com, and clicked on a stream.  This was going thru a
part of my network that is *not* multicast enabled, and into an ARC that
has multicasting turned *off*..........to my surprised the streams
properties said "Multicast".

Do you have a test to see if it is all done right?  

Brian

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:57:34 +0000

> properties said "Multicast".

You can use Media player or real player - and the statistics will show
that you are using multicast or unicast.  If it uses unicast then there is
a problem.  Now technically you cannot go to www.mediacrossing.com unless
and until your network is attached to the mbone.  What you need to make
sure is that your upstream provider has multicast turned on - on his
routers so that you are capable of receiving multicast packets.  If that
is not there - you cannot do multicast.  

We had to contact our provider and ask them to enable multicast on their
routers, once that is done, the ARC forwards the packets without any
problems.  Your edge router and all the core routers in the path should
have PIM dense mode.

> Do you have a test to see if it is all done right?  
The easy way to test it - Have a realstreamer on the other side of your
edge router, and try to attach to it or vice versa.

-V

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:24:00 +0000

> is not there - you cannot do multicast.  

we have multicast on our network, and thru our providers, that part is all
working.  Whats wierd, is I dialed into an ARC that I did not enable
multicast on, and still got "multicast" in media player to
mediacrossing.com..........this is accross my sparse-mode network!

> edge router, and try to attach to it or vice versa.

We have a realvideo server.  So your saying I should just try to get a
stream and if it *can* use multicast then realplayer will try that first
and show it is using multicast?

-

---

From: Ved <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:24:24 +0000

> mediacrossing.com..........this is accross my sparse-mode network!

Sparce-mode will work but for most part has issues, thus use dense mode.
If you have Ripv2 enabled on the ARC - you do have the multicast enabled -
thus you will seee multicast packets - however to make it work in our
network I had to configure the default user and the ethernet interface for
igmp.

> and show it is using multicast?
Yes
-V

-

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:55:06 +0000

> network I had to configure the default user and the ethernet interface for

it says in the manual that if you don't configure the
"application_source_interface", it just uses the ethernet interface
anyways........so it appears thats not necessary

-