Subject: (usr-tc) Data over voice ISDN calls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:34:55 +0000

Anyone out there in TC-HUB land know if the TC-HUB supports Data over Voice
ISDN calls? I understand the Lucent Portmaster 3 does, and the Ascend Max
does, but in trying to fork-lift some Portmasters out of one of my customers
network, and introduce the TC-HUB, we have discovered that this feature does
not work by default, and can not find any documentation to help enable it.
Anyone know if the TC-HUB supports this feature and what needs to be done to
get it accepting these types of calls?

Just FYI: some telcos charge by the minute for Data over ISDN (64k) calls,
but charge a flat rate for Data over voice (56K) ISDN calls. This is the
reason this feature is important to some customers

I think some people use the dial back feature to avoid these tarrifs.

sincerely,
Rick

Rick Louizos
Solunet Soluserve 

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:58:55 +0000

Also sprach [email-masked]
>Anyone out there in TC-HUB land know if the TC-HUB supports Data over
>Voice ISDN calls? I understand the Lucent Portmaster 3 does, and the
>Ascend Max does, but in trying to fork-lift some Portmasters out of one
>of my customers network, and introduce the TC-HUB, we have discovered
>that this feature does not work by default, and can not find any
>documentation to help enable it.  Anyone know if the TC-HUB supports
>this feature and what needs to be done to get it accepting these types
>of calls?

If I remember correctly, yes, it does support it, but not seamlessly.

PM's and Max'es will auto-detect whether the call is voice, data, or
data over voice.  The TC's, if I understand it correctly, could only do
data over voice if its told to do it by called number id or something
like that.

Basically, you can tell it to do data over voice by assigning a new
phone number to your hunt and using that number for a data over voice
number.  Then when calls come in to that number, the TC will answer with
data over voice.

I have never done data over voice, but that's how it was described to me
back in the day (its been a couple of years since this topic came up I
believe)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-