Subject: (usr-tc) 16MB NMC dead after flashing

From: Blue Moon Network Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 21:01:56 +0000

Flashed the NMC up to nm060009 and after 40 minutes of waiting after it
reported success and said it was checking nac status with the RN/FL light
flashing green and hub status off entirely we tried resetting the NMC via the
console. That brought it back to the same state, RN/FL light flashing green and
hub status off totally.

I removed the NMC NAC and that didn't help then pulled the backend NIC and that
didn't help. Also shutdown the chassis entirely and that didn't change
anything. I'm still stuck at the flashing green RN/FL light and get nothing
on the console except an occasional single character when the nic/nac is
reinserted. 

How do I get it back? Can I use the NORMAL/CLEAR jumper on the NAC to get it
into some kind of dumb mode where I can upload some firmware to it to at least
get back to where I started?

How long should an NMC upgrade actually take on a clear switched lan? 

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
[email-masked]         net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network
http://www.bluemoon.net   mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD
bbs.bluemoon.net          irc.bluemoon.net - ZUHnet Buffalo, NY IRC Server

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Kevin Tucker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:51:27 +0000

I just had that happen to me 2 days ago during an upgrade.  Turns out I
needed the 16Mb flash RAM installed for these later 3COM updates to take.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Blue Moon Network
Administrator
Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 1:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) 16MB NMC dead after flashing

Flashed the NMC up to nm060009 and after 40 minutes of waiting after it
reported success and said it was checking nac status with the RN/FL light
flashing green and hub status off entirely we tried resetting the NMC via
the
console. That brought it back to the same state, RN/FL light flashing green
and
hub status off totally.

I removed the NMC NAC and that didn't help then pulled the backend NIC and
that
didn't help. Also shutdown the chassis entirely and that didn't change
anything. I'm still stuck at the flashing green RN/FL light and get nothing
on the console except an occasional single character when the nic/nac is
reinserted.

How do I get it back? Can I use the NORMAL/CLEAR jumper on the NAC to get it
into some kind of dumb mode where I can upload some firmware to it to at
least
get back to where I started?

-

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 19:57:03 +0000

When this happens, you usually have to reset the card, then perform a SDL
using PCSDL.EXE (or X-modem for 6.1/6.2 versions) during the boot process.
This might occur if the previous code did not complete (TFTP timeout),
leaving the NAC in a bad state.

Dominic

-