Subject: [USR-TC] LInk Timeouts

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:29:08 +0000

I'm using the demo of Total Scrutinizer (which I like) and I've noticed the Link 
Timeout count keeps going up. Anyone know what that is measuring? Is it 
something about which I should be concerned?

Thanks,
Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

---

From: Brian Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:27:41 +0000

Hi Wayne,
Here's what one of my Engineers shared with me, not very technical, but
good info:

link timeouts are when a byte doesn't make it to it's destination
correctly. Normally this is an error if it sees some of the 8 bits, but
if it never knows you sent anything it doesn't know to report an error,
then the send modem times out.. and you send the byte again. Normally
this will happen if your buffers are too high, esp. send buffers.  Drop
it down, try a couple different notches to find the best one.  50 link
timeouts or more within an hour and it's a problem. Over a hundred and
the user will see the performance problem easily. In my experience the
FIFO buffers can directly affect this problem. If need be turn off the
buffers completely. This problem is not specific to any brand of modem.
You are more likely to see this on a 56k connection, than any other. 

Brian Becker
President, Poplar Bluff Internet, Inc.
P.O. Box 190 | Poplar Bluff, MO 63902 | 573.686.9114

Home of
  http://semo.net - Southeast Missouri's Online Community
  http://TotallyFabricated.com 
     Total Scrutinizer - Tech Support Just Got Easier
     WebGabber - All-html Web Chat Software

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Wayne Barber
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [USR-TC] LInk Timeouts

I'm using the demo of Total Scrutinizer (which I like) and I've noticed
the Link 
Timeout count keeps going up. Anyone know what that is measuring? Is it 
something about which I should be concerned?

Thanks,
Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

_______________________________________________
USR-TC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc