Subject: [USR-TC] Bogus framing, attack, or?

From: Jonathan Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:31:46 +0000

I had a chassis (HARC and HDSP) completely go off
the air.  There were no alarm lights and everything appeared 
totally normal, but all 6 PRIs were giving fast busy.

Rebooting the HARC and all HDSPs changed nothing.  A few minutes
later, rebooted a DSP again and it came up with ALM and Loopback/D-ALM
red.  Reboot once more and it starts taking calls.  Rinse, lather, repeat
and on the other 5 HDSPs.  

In the modem log, I found this:

Apr  5 06:03:03 At 20:40:33, Facility "Configurator", Level "CRITICAL"::
Illegal device type received in a Device Discovery message, device
type: 0, location type: 2, location: <elided>, units: 23.

These started just before 06:00 and happened every few minutes until
06:20, when the busy signal condition occurred.  There would be a
large cluster of them (20-30) each time.

The location: info sounds right for an Osaka phone number, so this
has me wondering if it was some kind of bogus framing info from
the switch (NTT switch) that caused the HARC to fall over, if
the problem was really on the switch end, or if this was some
odd type of attack.

Thoughts?

TIA,

Jonathan

---

From: Dayton Internet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:37:12 +0000

Jonathan, what are the software versions on your ARC and DSP's? 

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc
> 

-- 
     --Rich Adams, President-Dayton Internet Services, Dayton, Ohio--
    [email-masked]
Charter Member of Ohio Internet Service Providers Association www.oispa.org