Subject: (usr-tc) 3COM

From: Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:15:22 +0000

Anyone know if people like Krish are still on this list, or what their
e-mail might be?

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:31:04 +0000

Also sprach Lists
>Anyone know if people like Krish are still on this list, or what their

3Com email addresses take the form of [email-masked].

You can reach anyone in the company that way.

I believe Krish is on the list, though not in his official capacity at
3Com.  I'm not sure about others, I suspect Mike Wronski is in the same
situation, but don't know for certain.

Someone in 3Com...oi, they just don't get it...handed down an edict that
the techs were not to participate, or even be subscribed to, usr-tc in
their official capacity.  Gun, foot, bang.  I wish I knew who the person
was that made this decision...or more importantly, that person's
boss...so I could email them using the first bit of information from
this message, letting them know what I think of the decision.  :)
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:49:25 +0000

At 09:26 AM 10/26/00 -0400, Jeff Mcadams wrote:
>their official capacity.

I think it goes hand in hand with a fundamental flaw in 3Com's corporate
policy, that being that tech support should be a revenue-positive branch.
My compliments go out as well to those at 3Com who do try to offer
assistance as they are able to. It shows that at least some people at 3Com
do "get the point", sadly none of them are decision makers.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager    [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                 Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA  814-941-5000        http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: John Mies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:54:36 +0000

Something happened the other day that hasn't happened before, wonder if 
anyone else has experienced this.

Users called with complaints of fast busies. The chassis was completely 
unlit, but when I flipped the rocker switch off and then on, the chassis 
powered right up. The UPS was fully charged also.

John Mies

-

---

From: Mark Levy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:58:40 +0000

How many cards do you have in your chassis?

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:40:07 +0000

> Someone in 3Com...oi, they just don't get it...handed down an edict
> that the techs were not to participate, or even be subscribed to,
> usr-tc in their official capacity.

Oh, OK, I must have missed that bit.  That makes the picture somewhat
clearer.  I did wonder why the most helpful 3COM people had mysteriously
disappeared from the list.

> Gun, foot, bang.

Got that in one.

Funny thing is we actually have a Cisco support contract, but find it
*cheaper* to buy and carry our own spares for 3COM gear.  Of course we
don't get software, but then all our staff has been end-of-lifed by 3COM,
so there's unlikely to ever be any useful software updates anyway.

Cisco staff regularly help out on mailing lists (in fact, Cisco host some
of the lists), but we still have a contract.

Cutting staff out of mailing lists won't sell more contracts - in fact, my
gut feeling is it'll just sell less hardware/contracts.

-

---

From: John Mies <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:30:49 +0000

There are three.

At 04:56 PM 10/27/00 -0500, you wrote:

>-=-=-
>SBG-Priority: 4 (Low) http://www.internz.com/SpamBeGone/

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:52:50 +0000

Thermal shutdown of the power supply?

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:09:06 +0000

That's what I was thinking, but unless the p/s is defective, the fans
aren't working, or the ambient temp is too high, it's not likely with
only three cards.

-

---

From: Paul Farber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:35:17 +0000

Well if they *did* work correctly then you wouldn't have this type of
problem?  Right?

If it happens once, oh well... if it happens again send the PS back under
RMA after you open a ticket (if you have a support contract).

Paul Farber
Farber Technology
[email-masked]
Ph  570-628-5303
Fax 570-628-5545

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:39:14 +0000

We had a simliar experience...  It turned out that the UPS was not
"BIG" enough to handle the power requirements for the chassis.  We would
get a "brownout" and the chassis would shut down.  I ask about this over a
year ago on the list and no one seemed to have the answer.  KRISH told me
that the power sensing switches on the newer chassis were a little more
sensative.  We upgraded the UPS and have not had the chassis drop offline
again!  Moral of the story... Upgrade to a little larger UPS!

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite Q
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-

---

From: Charles Sprickman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:43:00 +0000

> aren't working, or the ambient temp is too high, it's not likely with

We once had the switchroom where we colo our racks lose A/C for a
weekend.  The chassis (six stacked one above the other, full quads/1 DSP
in each) continued to run the whole time.  The ambient temperature was
about 110, the inlet on the top chassis was about 140.

Not recommended to keep running at that temp, but I could find no way to
power down remotely :)

Charles

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:44:38 +0000

Also sprach Charles Sprickman
>Not recommended to keep running at that temp, but I could find no way
>to power down remotely :)

APC MasterSwitches are your friend.  :)

Actually...we don't have our chassis on MasterSwitches...yet...haven't
convinced the folks with the purse-strings of the benefits yet...I'm
still working on it though.  We do use them for our servers though
(mostly Sparcs), they're great.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: David Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:12:37 +0000

Have any of you tried the Official 3com mailing lists?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Lists
> Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 7:47 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: (usr-tc) 3COM
>
>
>

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:23:25 +0000

Also sprach David Hamilton
>Have any of you tried the Official 3com mailing lists?

Yes...they're painful to anyone with clue.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: Mark Levy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:11:16 +0000

I'm trying to use RIP on my HiPer ARC to generate routes on my Cisco.
I've turned RIP on, and when I look at the network definition, all the
appropriate attributes are there. When a user logs in, however, their
network shows no routing. My IP pool is set to Public and No Aggregate.

Thanks.

-

---

From: John Mies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:47:16 +0000

Will the Masterswitch allow you to power up a dead chassis?

At 11:40 PM 10/28/00 -0400, you wrote:

>SBG-Priority: 3 (Normal) http://www.internz.com/SpamBeGone/

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:46:29 +0000

Also sprach John Mies
>Will the Masterswitch allow you to power up a dead chassis?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "dead chassis."  Obviousvly, if there
is a *problem* with the cahssis, the MasterSwitch won't help you there.

Think of the MasterSwitch as a power strip with individual power toggles
for each outlet on the strip, and those toggles are under software
control.  That software also has a telnet, web and snmp server as the
connectivity to get to it from the network.  Its really pretty cool.

>> >Not recommended to keep running at that temp, but I could find no
>> >way to power down remotely :)

-

---

From: John Mies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 21:34:38 +0000

No, don't mean totally dead. We have had instances where the chassis would 
power off during a brownout, etc. Wondered if the MasterSwitch could power 
it back up remotely so we wouldn't have to travel there just to flip a switch.

-

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 21:47:09 +0000

Also sprach John Mies
>No, don't mean totally dead. We have had instances where the chassis
>would power off during a brownout, etc. Wondered if the MasterSwitch
>could power it back up remotely so we wouldn't have to travel there
>just to flip a switch.

I've never known a chassis to do this, so I'm not exactly sure what's
required to recover them from this situation.

Essentially, think of it as having the capability to remote flip the
power switch on the *power strip* off and back on again.

It does nothing to actually toggle the power supply of the chassis
itself, just the power supplied *through* the power strip *to* the
chassis.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

-

---

From: John Mies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:50:10 +0000

>required to recover them from this situation.

Here's a response from another  user who had this happen. I received it 
last fall:

-

---

From: John Mies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 01:48:15 +0000

And we do have to toggle the switch off and on. Unplugging and re-plugging 
doesn't do any good. Anyone have a workaround?

-