Subject: RE: (usr-tc) USR TC Alternative

From: Brian Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:34:26 +0000

Actually there is a fix for this if you are using PRI lines OR you have gotten your phone company to provide you with DNIS. I can't
get DNIS so I'm screwed!

In Total Control Manager, you can set different init strings to be sent to the modem for different incoming phone numbers (up to
four different ones). So ask your phone company to give you two additional phone numbers pointed to the trunk group and set one of
those to init the modem to 33.6k only connects and another to 19.2k only connects.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of G. Douglas Davidson
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 12:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (usr-tc) USR TC Alternative

We have a small number of people that, for whatever reason, have a tough time
connecting to the Total Control.  I'd like to pick up another access server
that might allow us to connect a majority of these people having difficulties
without spending all day playing with modem init strings.  So I guess I am
looking for the "Anti-Total Control".  I'd also like something where we may be
able to pick up some functionality that may be lacking in the TC, or where we
may find lower long term costs compared to those associated with the TC.  I
don't want something that is dead-ended.

I'm familiar with the Livingston stuff as we used to run them (and I used to
like them) but I don't think that would be a good longer term decision.  I've
heard that the Ascend gear is very popular and can connect to a wide variety of
modems.  So perhaps a used Ascend may be in order.  Also, I've been looking
into the Ariel RS4200 which appears pretty nice, but I can't seem to find
anyone that has run one of these things outside of through Ariel.

Thanks up front for any suggestions.

--
-----
G Douglas Davidson                      | CityNet, Inc.
[email-masked]                    | Pittsburgh, PA
voice: 412.481.5406                     | fax: 412.431.1315

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.