Subject: (usr-tc) NFAS on DSPs

From: "Stainforth, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:11:52 +0000

I just swapped out a dual PRI card and a set of quads for two DSPs and I'm
trying to do NFAS.  The telco sees the D channel up and the channels are all
supposedly up and idle but the second card is reporting the D channel is
down.  Is this normal since the D channel is on the first PRI span or does
it indicate a problem?  

At first I had the NFAS ID wrong on the second DSP.  When I brought it up,
it was reporting all channels were in service and idle.  I thought that was
rather strange and I knew it was wrong since I verified this with the telco.
I set it to the correct value, rebooted the card, and it is still reporting
all channels in service and idle.

I'm still waiting on hold to get the switch techs to try putting some
channels into IMB and see if I see them go out of service on this end
(which, to me, would indicate that the second card is getting the signalling
information ok) but surely there's an easier way to see if signalling is
getting to the second card or not...

Matthew...

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:46:12 +0000

Matt,

  We are currently running 3 DSPs with NFAS.  It was very simple to set
up...  You do need to make sure that the DSPs are in the same NFAS Group.
We identified the first ones a 1.  I believe 3Com say 0, but it does NOT
matter as long as all the DSPs are inthe same NFAS group.  The NFAS ID is
also important.  Make sure your have the 24th span set to NONE

  Hope this helps!

==============================================================================
Phillip Ferraro				WorldNet Access, Inc
[email-masked]	Onslow County's PREMIER InterNet Service 
Voice (910) 346-0835		    824 Gumbranch Square, Suite R3
FAX   (910) 455-1933		     Jacksonville, Nc  28540-6269
==============================================================================

-