Subject: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 13:05:35 -0400

OK gang, this is new territory for me, so be gentle.

I wish to route a /27 network to an ISDN dialup customer. Currently, this TC
has a /24 block assigned to it for dynamic dialup. I will be using a /27 out
of a different /24 block.

What configuration steps do I need to take on the TC to allow it to assign
this block to this dialup customer? Note that I am not running RIP. This
customer will ALWAYS hit this particular TC, so there is no need to announce
the route. I will manually route the block to the TC.

Additionally, if anyone would like to share the appropriate radius
attributes to include in this user's profile (I use VOPRadius), I'd
appreciate it.

TIA,

--
Scot

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:45:06 +0000

Since you will be routing them a network, not using a routing protocol to
announce it, and only have a single TC, just give them a static IP on the TC
Lan and let proxy arp do it's thing.

TC GW 192.168.1.1
TC IP 192.168.1.2
TC POOL whatever

User Static IP 192.168.1.200 (PPP WAN DEVICE IP)
User Ethernet IP 192.168.20.1 (LAN DEVICE IP)

on GW router :

ip route 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.224 192.168.1.200

(so net is 192.168.20.0/27)

RADIUS entry :

username   Auth-Type = System
           Service-Type = Framed-User,
           Framed-Protocol = PPP,
           Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.1.200,
           Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
           Framed-Routing = None,
           Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP,
           Port-Limit = 2,
           Idle-Timeout = 1200,
           Session-Timeout = 28800,
           Framed-MTU = 1500

Marshall Morgan

Internet Doorway, Inc (aka NETDOOR)
http://www.netdoor.com

601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax 601.969.3838
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot Desort" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 12:05 PM
Subject: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

-

---

From: Aaron Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:00:19 +0000

Using this theory, clients would be able to use any
routing protocol enabled on our router,
as the Netserver puts them virtually on the lan.
or can they only use routing protocols running on the Netserver

Am I thinking straight or in need of sleep :)

Aaron

-- 
Thanks,
Aaron Daniels
Network Administrator
Dataheart

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:26:40 +0000

Marshall:

>            Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,

Doesn't this assign a single IP, 192.168.1.200 to the dialup user?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Morgan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > I wish to route a /27 network to an ISDN dialup customer. Currently,
this
> TC

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:29:05 +0000

> Doesn't this assign a single IP, 192.168.1.200 to the dialup user?

Yes.  You stated you were going to route them a network via the gateway (or
similar).  The example I emailed has this in it.

Marshall Morgan

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:29:36 +0000

Netserver?  Haven't used those in years - there are filters, smarter
protocols available for routers with security (he stated he didn't have RIP
running) and the whole netmask/broadcast thing on his static IP.

Marshall Morgan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Daniels" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

this
> > TC
> > > has a /24 block assigned to it for dynamic dialup. I will be using a
/27
> > out

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:21:05 -0400

OK, so do I need to add a route within the TC so it knows to send
192.168.20.0/27 to 192.168.1.200?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Morgan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:02:34 +0000

No. Might want to pick up the following from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565923200/o/qid=989614459/sr=8-1/ref
=aps_sr_b_1_1/102-4104910-5894540

Managing Ip Networks With Cisco Routers
ISBN: 1565923200

Marshall Morgan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot Desort" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

-

---

From: Nauman Malik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:20:23 +0000

We here in Pakistan use E1 PRIs (30 channels per PRI). With TC1000 is it
possible to use all 60 lines per chasis? I am using the following
configuration

Slot 1..........Dual PRI NAC
Slot 2-15.........Quad Modems
Slot 16.........Netserver PRI NAC
Slot 17.........NMC........

In this configuration I can use only 14 modem cards or 56 ports. This wastes
4 ports per chasis. Is there any possible way to use 15th modem card ?

Regards,
Nauman.

-

---

From: Jorge Lozano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:30:33 +0000

Using Quad modems is not possible... you must use hiperDSP in order to use
all ports in PRI links.

Regards,

Jorge Lozano <[email-masked]>
NA and ISSO Andinet On Line <http://www.andinet.com>
The only way to predict the future is... to create it!

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]En nombre de Nauman Malik
Enviado el: SÃ¡bado, 12 de Mayo de 2001 04:11 a.m.
Para: [email-masked]
Asunto: (usr-tc) E1 PRIs

Regards,
Nauman.

-

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 02:21:23 +0000

Marshall-

I know basic routing on a Cisco, and if I were were using a Cisco in this
case, there would be no question. But I stated in my original post that I am
new to the TC when it comes to how it handles routing. Reading a Cisco book
is not going to help me enter commands at a HARC prompt. We run very basic
single user dialup out of our TC, and now have the need to route a small
network to a customer. I was hoping to get a little hand-holding from the
folks on this list.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. But I honestly
don't think a Cisco book is going to help me here. A little more than '"No"
might have been a little more helpful to me than the Amazon link. If there
is some inherent feature in IP that handles the routing of the network to
the dialup customer that I do not understand, I will certainly take the
opportunity to read about it and try to comprehend it. Unfortunately, time
is of the essence in this situation.

Since your example illustrates that no commands need to be entered on the
HARC, and that proxy arp will handle everything, I will try your suggestion.

Thanks again for the help.

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Morgan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > > Yes.  You stated you were going to route them a network via the
gateway
> > (or

-

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 03:49:28 +0000

Hey Scott, I'll give you a hand.

I've successfully gotten both single static IP's and routed subnets working 
through the HARC using OSPF.  Are you using OSPF?  If you are only using 
the one NAS then this is very simple, if you have multiple NAS's then you 
will need OSPF (RIPv2 would work, but I haven't touched it).

For me getting the TCH to do what I wanted was a major PITA, mostly because 
3com support was useless, and the documentation was very light in 
examples.  So I fussed and fiddled, and gave up for a year, then dove back 
in and viola it started working! ;)

Why don't you send me your problem via email (sorry I don't have your 
original post) and I will give you the run down on what I have done here, 
it may not exactly apply but I believe it will help you none the less.

I'll give you what I have now and you can draw from that...

4) Lucent PM3
1) Lucent PM2
1) TotalControl

1) Cisco 3640 (DR for OSPF)

All sit on the same Ethernet segment, 199.217.72.0/24 The Lucent NAS uses 
209.102.67.0 for their IP pools, the TCH is 207.149.168.0

I use OSPF/VLSM to divy up the IP pools among the PM3's, the TCH just gets 
the whole class c since it has a much higher port density, the dialup modem 
pools are announced via OSPF, why?  Because static IP customers (single or 
subnet) will hit different NAS's and the hardware needs to know where to 
send the packets, static routes don't cut it in this situation.

We assign the static IP (single or subnet) via Radius, so you have to 
create an entry in your radius users file (this can vary depending on your 
Radius software) and for the TCH we have to add a "send policy" (this 
really had me stumped for a long time!) the PM3's just dealt with it.

If you just have one NAS, then you can use static routing and be done with 
it, you will have to create a route in your router (which connects you to 
the Internet) and one in your NAS, and then create the Radius entry and 
your pretty much done.

Here is a Livingston 2.0.1 Radius entry for a single static IP customer:

joeuser  Password = "its-a-secret-man!",
         User-Service-Type = Framed-User,
         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
         Framed-Address = 209.102.67.1,
         Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.240,
         Framed-Routing = None,
         Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
         Framed-MTU = 1500,
         Session-Timeout = 28800

Here is an entry for a static subnet:

joeuser2  Password = "its-another-secret!",
         User-Service-Type = Framed-User,
         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
         Framed-Address = 209.102.66.9,
         Framed-Route = "209.102.66.8/29 209.102.66.9 1",
         Framed-Routing = None,
         Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
         Framed-MTU = 1500

So there you go, if you ARE running OSPF let me know and I'll go into a 
little more detail on that end of things.

Disclaimer, I'm not an expert!  I look up to guys like Mike Andrews and 
Jeff Mcadams, they have a LOT more experience with the 3com gear than I, 
but I did manage to figure it out over time, by reading examples and 
blowing up a few things along the way (well not that bad)... :-)

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 07:56:25 +0000

Scott,

Please read my original post - it contains all the necessary elements to get
the job done.  I have tried to be more clean in this email.

You said: "What configuration steps do I need to take on the TC to allow it
to assign this block to this dialup customer?"

Answer is a Radius Entry (only as nothing is needed on the TC but you can if
you wish do what Mike Greene stated):

As well, you stated: "Note that I am not running RIP. This customer will
ALWAYS hit this particular TC, so there is no need to announce the route. I
will manually route the block to the TC."

Answer is:  So that means you do not want to announce the route via any
routing method and you will be manually routing (via the Cisco I assume) the
block to it (in this case) the static the customer gets from the Radius
profile.

TC GW 192.168.1.1
TC IP 192.168.1.2
TC POOL whatever

on user's machine :

User Static IP 192.168.1.200 (PPP WAN DEVICE IP) - I would ask them to set
their software to dynamic as you will give it to them via Radius anyway -
make their setup simplier.
User Ethernet IP 192.168.20.1 (LAN DEVICE IP)

on GW router (assume a Cisco):

I hope this better explains what works in the field and how easy your setup
can be.

PS: I have probably been on this list as long as other active members - I
even have some of David Bolen's old email marked.  I would like to think I
have been very helpful to many people as well both now and in the past ;-)

Marshall Morgan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot Desort" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

-

---

From: LIST <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:50:56 +0000

Please a litle question...
I use the netserer 16 anolog.. and wotk fine with radius. ( iam using
icradiun now ).. but netserver box not send for radius the
"Acct-Input-Octets and  Acct-Input-Octets" RADIUS in a accounting request
packet... In this box is possible activate this?? I want do a traffic
monitor for my users..
Any help, thaks..

-

---

From: albert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 01:09:58 +0000

please if you have this answer post it to the list.

albert.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of LIST
> Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 3:27 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: (usr-tc) USR Netserver 16 analog.. radius...Acct-Input-Octets
> and
> 
> 

-

---

From: Wayne Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:41:00 +0000

Or you could go to Bookpool.com and get the same book for almost 
$8 less. I've found Bookpool to be fast and cheap.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/p6kdf2o6p6/sm/1565923200

> > > 601.969.1434 x28 | 800.952.1570 x28 | 601.969.3629 x28 | Fax

Wayne Barber
Coastal Telco Services

-

---

From: Al Kelkhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:24:29 +0000

Can anyone tell me how to set up the system so that it uses the Analog
Ports?

I'm also confused on saving settings.  I do a "save all" and a reset but
when I do a "sh" the values have not changed.  Help.

Thanks
al

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 20:06:34 +0000

Mike-

Thanks for your detailed explaination. At the first chance I get, I will
give it a shot.

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Greene" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 20:18:29 +0000

Marshall,

I read your original post. And in my subsequent posts, it should have been a
little obvious that I was having a little trouble following your example
based on my follow-up questions.

I do not doubt your past contributions to the list.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my original question, and will
try to implement your answer to my routing question when I am at the
customer site this week, having Mike Green's example as a backup (or
vice-versa, depending...).

Thanks again,

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Morgan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > case, there would be no question. But I stated in my original post that
I
> am

-

---

From: Marshall Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:38:05 +0000

Let us know how it goes!

Marshall Morgan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot Desort" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > Answer is a Radius Entry (only as nothing is needed on the TC but you
can
> if
> > ALWAYS hit this particular TC, so there is no need to announce the
route.
> > announce it, and only have a single TC, just give them a static IP on
the

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 05:06:20 +0000

Marshall / Mike Green-

Well, I did not fair too well today trying to get the client in question
functioning. Client is now using a Cisco 776M ISDN router. Their Netopia was
having ISDN problems.

First I tried your suggestion Marshall. I simply assigned the customer a
static WAN IP through a radius profile, assigned that IP to the WAN link in
their Cisco, and setup their LAN netblock. The router connects and
authenticates fine, the router can ping out to the TC, and the TC can ping
the static WAN IP. But a client on the remote LAN cannot ping beyond the
Cisco router, and we could not ping into the client LAN IP's.  Per your
instructions, no route commands were entered on the TC, since you indicated
that proxy arp would take care of it. Since that didn't work, I issued this
command to the TC:

add ip route <cust-netblock/netmask> gateway <static-WAN-IP> metric 1

No effect.

I then tried Mike Green's approach. I assigned a static WAN IP through their
radius profile, and included a framed route atrribute:

Framed-Route <cust-netblock/netmask> <static-WAN-IP> 1

I also entered the same 'add ip route' statement into the TC. Same effect -
we could only ping back and forth between the router and the TC using the
WAN IP.

When I issued a 'list ip routes" command at the TC, it showed the following

<cust-netblock/netmask> NetMgr <static-WAN-IP> 1 <slotx:modx>

I contacted Cisco who telnetted into the 776 to see if all was setup OK.
After many hours, it is their best guess that something is wrong with the
routing in the TC. If we turn on NAT in the 776, all stations on the
customer LAN can browse since they are now being masked behind the static
WAN IP, which is routing properly.

I have all of my internal routers configured properly to route the
customer's netblock to the TC through static route statements. All
traceroutes from the outside show proper transit until the TC. The last good
hop is the TC's ethernet port, then it dies.

If either of you (or anyone else for that matter) has any ideas, I'll try
anything at this point. All of our dedicated ISDN customer's with public LAN
netblocks come into BRI cards in our Cisco routers, so this has always been
a no-brainer on the Cisco's. We use Verizon ISDN Centrex for these customers
delivered over standard BRI lines because our normal dialup PRI's that come
into the TC are provided by a CLEC, and we can't get ISDN Centrex through
them for our customers.

TIA,

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Morgan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > I read your original post. And in my subsequent posts, it should have
been
> a
> > > Please read my original post - it contains all the necessary elements
to
> > get
> > > You said: "What configuration steps do I need to take on the TC to
allow
> > it
> > > routing method and you will be manually routing (via the Cisco I
assume)
> > > PS: I have probably been on this list as long as other active
members -
> I
> > > even have some of David Bolen's old email marked.  I would like to
think

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:35:22 +0000

The only thing I do at our end to configure a static subnet for a client is
to enter the client router's ip address into the user table along with the
client's subnet mask. I do not enter anything in the framed-route field. My
TC's are configured to share RIP routes with each other, but not the core
Cisco router (had problems overloading the router at 30 second intervals
before). The Cisco directs traffic to each chassis by static routes. Nothing
fancy going on and it works. Other than adding the customer to the user
table and creating a static route in the core router everything else is done
at the client side.

I've used NetGear, Ascend, Cisco, Netopia, and WebRamp routers on the client
side with this configuration, and probably a few I haven't been told about.

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc
512-393-5300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot Desort" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > > I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my original question,
and
> > will
> > > > Since you will be routing them a network, not using a routing
protocol
> > > > User Static IP 192.168.1.200 (PPP WAN DEVICE IP) - I would ask them
to
> > set
> > > > I hope this better explains what works in the field and how easy
your
> > > setup
> > > > have been very helpful to many people as well both now and in the
past
> > ;-)

-

---

From: Scot Desort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 04:11:22 +0000

Mark-

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to sound ignorant, but what user table - in the
TC? Can you give an example?

Thanks.

--
Scot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thornton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) Routing a subnet to an ISDN dialup customer

> > > > > As well, you stated: "Note that I am not running RIP. This
customer
> > > > > Answer is:  So that means you do not want to announce the route
via
> > any

-