Subject: [USR-TC] Downgrading ARC from 5.1.99 to 4.2.32

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:52:35 +0000

I've downloaded the code to the ARC at least 10 times and every time I 
reboot the friggin card it keeps coming back as 5.1.99, I've tried 
everything except a console load.

What the heck does a guy have to do to get the card downgraded to 4.2.32!!

This is getting really frustrating!

- Mike

------------------------------------------------
Rock Island Communications, Inc.  (360)-378-5884
http://www.rockisland.com/  San Juan Islands, WA
------------------------------------------------

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:39:18 +0000

Set the hiper arc to boot from the tftp server and reboot the hiper arc,
make sure you have the code on the tftp server.
Not exactly sure about the command but it is like this

set bootrom ip inter eth:1 address x.x.x.x tftpserver <ip of tftp server>
gateway <ip of gateway> netmask <netmask of arc>
loadfile <the arc code name on the tftp server> tftp_boot once

save all

and then reboot the hiper arc, it will then go to the tftp server and load
the code - this should fix your problem.

-V

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Greene" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 5:52 PM
Subject: [USR-TC] Downgrading ARC from 5.1.99 to 4.2.32

> _______________________________________________
> USR-TC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/usr-tc

---

From: Dave Lajoie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:13:14 +0000

I have been told by support personnel that once your ARC is flashed to the
version 5.x code you wouldn't have the option to downgrade back to version
4.x code. If this works (you do get a working downgrade to ver 4.x from
5.x) Please let me know.

Dave Lajoie
RA Administrator
North Country Internet Access
E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Randy Cosby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 05:09:11 +0000

Trust "V".  He knows more than any 3com support person you're going to
talk to.

I believe that you will not be actually "downgrading" the card by using
the TFTP method he explained, but you will be pulling that code into ram
from the TFTP server (rather than from flash) to run each time you
reboot.  If you switched back from tftp to a standard loading procedure,
it would be read the bootrom off flash, and you would probably be
running 5.1.99 again, unless this magically fixes the failed image read.

Once you're booted to the 4.2 version, I don't know if you'll be able to
update the flash successfully, but it might be worth a try at that
point.

- Randy

---

From: Steve Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:12:02 +0000

It works, and I've done it.  I was running the 5.x code and having
real weird random reboot issues.  Opened a ticket with USR and they told
me to downgrade to a 4.X version of the firmware.  Did it and all
is working now.

-Steve

-- 
Steve Johnson <[email-masked]>              Sonic.net, Inc.
System Administrator                            300 B Street
707-522-1000 (voice)                            Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707-547-2199 (fax)                              http://www.sonic.net

---

From: Dave Lajoie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:44:11 +0000

Thanks to those who replied to my request.

Dave Lajoie
RA Administrator

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:04:01 +0000

Here is what I finally had to do to get this to downgrade.

When I tried to net boot using the NE040232.dmf file as is, the ARC kept 
rebooting, I finally had to console into it to remove configuration to have 
it boot via flash.

After I got that under control I again tftp booted using the 4.2.73-1 code 
which was named netserve.dmf, that worked and I was then able to flash via 
TCM to 4.2.32 and I'm now able to boot from flash with 4.2.32

Sigh, what a pain!

A thank you to Veda for getting me pointed in the right direction and the 
rest of you for moral support! :-)

- Mike

---

From: Talist <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:44:19 +0000

I have had the same weird reboot problem with the 5.x codes, I've tried about 
20 engineering releases from commworks and it is still spontaneoulsly reboots 
at random.
The reboot is mostly random and probably un-noticable for some of you.

I suggest you execute the command "show board crash" on a 5.x and see when was 
your last crash!.  commworks claims that this is a problem affecting a small 
number of customers, but I'd be curious to see how many people are actually 
afected.

---

From: Antonio Querubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:11:35 +0000

> number of customers, but I'd be curious to see how many people are actually

We were experiencing the same problem intermittently last year.  However,
at some point the problem magically disappeared.  We're still running
5.1.99 but are planning to test 5.3.2 soon.