Subject: (usr-tc) HARC Memory (update)

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:50:06 +0000

Well, bad news...

The memory chip I got is still wrong.   The problem now is that the center 
notch is off by 3 or 4mm, however the voltage notch is OK.

Thanks 3COM, you proprietary bastards...  lets screw the customer on simple 
hardware upgrades, and while were at it, lets screw them some more on 
software and support... you should change your name to "3SCUM"

- Mike

------------------------------------------------
Rock Island Communications, Inc.  (360)-378-5884
http://www.rockisland.com/  San Juan Islands, WA
------------------------------------------------

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Curt Shambeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:40:23 +0000

> software and support... you should change your name to "3SCUM"

The 2 notches in DIMMs are for voltage, and for buffering.

The one on the far end is a 3 position key.  RFU(??), buffered, or
unbuffered.  The middle key is the voltage.  It is either 5v or 3.3v.
Perhaps you got the wrong voltage DIMM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Curtis V. Shambeau  |  [email-masked] |   Vice President  |
|  CoreComm, LTD, formerly Voyager.net and ExecPC - Wisconsin Office    |
|    "Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others"      |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:28:11 +0000

>Perhaps you got the wrong voltage DIMM?

Further research reveals it is MAC memory, ie; DIMM's used in several of 
their server lines.  We took the original unit out of the ARC (which had an 
IBM part number on it) and cross referenced it, came up with the MAC 
compatibly listing.

So I guess if the middle key is the voltage notch, then it is 3.3v since 
standard 168pin memory had the notch in the same position, it was the notch 
on the end (10 pins over from the edge) that was off from the original chip 
in the ARC...

So we are going to order up the MAC compatible chip and see if it works...

- Mike

-

---

From: Curt Shambeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:47:01 +0000

As DIMMs for computers are typically unbuffered, my guess is that 3COM used
a buffered 3.3v DIMM then.  Still able to get via normal memory channels I
would think.

Good luck!

------------------------------------

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:05:25 +0000

> IBM part number on it) and cross referenced it, came up with the MAC

That actually makes sense, since the ARC is a PowerPC 603e...

So, not proprietary, just obscure. :)

(Apple on the other hand uses standard PC100 and PC133 dimms now, I have
some acme generic PC100's in my G4...)

Mike Andrews * [email-masked] * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet access for Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville and surrounding counties
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)

-

---

From: Mike Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:57:38 +0000

>So, not proprietary, just obscure. :)

I guess we could consider a lot of what 3COM does "obscure" in many facets 
of their operation...

>some acme generic PC100's in my G4...)

Heh heh, yeah, I commented to my purchasing agent about the PowerPC chip, 
then we both looked at each other and said, "hmmm, I wonder about those 
proformas?"  but alas, they only had 64MB in them as well, :-)  We had 
replaced them with a couple of G3's and it was nice to see them take a 
PC100/133 chip.

- Mike

-