Subject: RE: [USR-TC] two arcs

From: Scott Trautman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 13:37:06 +0000

I'm probably just stating the obvious here (is to me anyway), but we
certainly keep spare equipment at a different location such that -- worst
cases -- equipment blows up, flames out, gets stolen, etc., that we'll be
back in business ASAP. Your ARC, a chassis (find yourself a dual 45A...many
of us have "spares" up the wazoo) and perhaps a spare DSP & NMC to go with
that extra ARC.

I know how easy it is to become enamored with the more geekly aspects of
...anything..., including redundancy, but this is more in the "common sense
and protections" zone to consider. A lot of these really groovy and
expensive failover types of things don't work so good when a whole box gets
fried by lightening, stolen, etc., etc--which are more highly probable and
destructive than having a 2nd ARC pick up after a failing one next to it.
KISS--90% solutions, covering your bases, probabilities, aren't as exciting
(or expensive). Just boring good business practice.

Scott Trautman
President/Owner              www.gdinet.com
Global Dialog Internet      608-240-4638,7fax
2049 Skaalen Road         
Stoughton WI 53589       Internet Service across Southern Wisconsin