Subject: (usr-tc) TCH Latchup problems, continued

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 05:50:21 +0000

The latchup problem is begining to become a real issue here. It has occurred
on all of our chassis's and seems to be an issue of the system no longer
initiating new PPP sessions. Existing connections continue to work well, but
new connections fail after the username/password phase. The systems are also
much less tolerant of SNMP queries for online users as they have been in the
past. Our radius software (Vircom) polls the TCH's to verify the current
online user tables. When we are experiencing problems the HiperArc does not
respond to the SNMP queries either which has the effect of wiping the online
user list.

We are running the latest available code (as of three weeks ago) and that is
when this group of problems began. I have seen an improvement in connections
to troublesome systems when the servers are working, but the downtime is
becoming an issue. I really thought I could avoid ditching the TCH's for new
equipment after the upgrade but that just doesn't look to be the case. I
have done the math and I can buy new equipment with real tech support for an
amount less than what I can sell my current systems for and the cost of
phone support to 3Com (assuming that would help). That looks like the only
real option left.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? Could it be a configuration error? Any
ideas?

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 05:57:30 +0000

I wonder if the problem may be related to the NMC's. In my systems the only
common thread is the old style NMC's in all of the chassis's. Could that be
causing a problem that the faster hiperNMC's might resolve? Otherwise, 3
chassis's have quads and hiperDSP's and the rest have all hiperDSP's.

Mark Thornton

-

---

From: Mike Wilker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:00:04 +0000

Mark, which version of the HiperArc code are you running?

Mike Wilker
Director of Network Operations
Local Link USA & Protocol Communications
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thornton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) TCH Latchup problems, continued

-

---

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:19:55 +0000

We are running 5.0.9 at this time. I am strongly considering wiping the box
completely back to defaults and starting over. I do seem to remember in the
old days the best way to clear up weird modem problems was to reset the
modems to the default configuration. After so many upgrades there is no
telling what the HiperArc configuration is.

Mark Thornton

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Wilker" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) TCH Latchup problems, continued

-

---

From: Mike Wilker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:45:59 +0000

We had a problem on several of our chassis running both 486 & P5 NMCs, as
well as both 64 & 128 MB Arcs where a memory leak would eventually cause the
Arc to stop taking new calls until it was rebooted.  3Com wrote a
maintenance release that took care of the problem, and apparently the newest
code on there site incorporates that fix, however I didn't like the
compatibility issues with that so I haven't upgraded to it yet.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thornton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) TCH Latchup problems, continued

> > > common thread is the old style NMC's in all of the chassis's. Could
that
> > be

-