Subject: (usr-tc) DSP Problems/Losing modems

From: Christopher Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:52:21 +0000

We have had perennial problems with Hiper modems suddenly not responding. Every other day I get a random modem or two that stops responding per card. Rarely a software reset will return the modem to service. Usually, I wait a week until I have several, then do a hardware reset. This returns most to service, except the occasional bad channel. 

I am running 2.0.60 per 3com. I am not using 2.0.51 as I am under the impression it is for a newer hardware version than we own.

I have not yet upgraded the Hiperarc software to the latest-I am waiting for the next time I do aforementioned hardware resets. (Day traders get very upset if they get booted : ).

Suggestions and questions?

Thanks

Christopher Berry
rof.net Web Design and Technical Support
(970) 945-4920 x17

---

From: Nicolas St-Pierre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:04:59 +0000

The HiPer DSP code 2.0.60 will usually put timeslots Local Out of
Service when a modem pair fails to reset.  While this is still better
than 2.0.81 where you may get fast busies or no answer, it's still not a
complete solution.  This scenario is true when the DSP mdmfail is set to
Combo mode and the call routing method mdmrmeth is set to fixed
assignment.

You should only run 2.0.51 if you have a rev 0.55 with Alliance SRAM
chips on it instead of ISSI chips.  Other 0.55 boards and older revs
should run fine on 2.0.60 eventhough we have to put up with this
annoying bug until 3Com fixes it.

Nick

--
Nicolas St-Pierre
Systems Engineer
Internet Access Solutions Ltd.
Tel (905) 469-4953
Fax (905) 469-4954

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: John Verreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:27:56 -0500

Is there a problem running 2.0.51 on older revs???

Thanks
John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Nicolas St-Pierre
> Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 3:04 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: (usr-tc) DSP Problems/Losing modems
> 
> 
> 
> 

-

---

From: K Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:27:55 +0000

At 12:45 PM 1/12/00 -0700, Christopher Berry wrote:
>   We have had perennial problems with Hiper modems suddenly not 
>responding. Every other day I get a random modem or two that stops
>responding  per card. Rarely a software reset will return the modem to
>service. Usually, I  wait a week until I have several, then do a hardware
>reset. This returns most to  service, except the occasional bad channel.

You can soft-busy the modems through TCM to bypass them. Normally what I'll
do is soft-busy the rest of the card when my nightime useage decreases.
This won't knock anybody off but will prevent new connections, By morning,
everyone's off the card and I can reset it without affecting anybody.
   
>I am running 2.0.60 per 3com. I am not using 2.0.51 as I am  under the
>impression it is for a newer hardware version than we  own.   I have not
>yet upgraded the Hiperarc software to the latest-I  am waiting for the next
>time I do aforementioned hardware resets. (Day traders  get very upset if
>they get booted : ).   Suggestions and questions?

I had been seeing modem lockups at least weekly with 3 DSPs(0.49.0). I
upgraded to ARC 4.2.32/DSP 2.0.81 about 3 months ago. Since then, I had my
first modem lockup last night. Needless to say, this has been a great
inprovement.

-- 
Kirk Mitchell-General Manager        [email-masked]
Keystone Connect                     Unlock Your World
Altoona, PA   814-941-5000      http://www.keyconn.net

-

---

From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:40:41 +0000

Not that I can see.  I'm running 2.0.51 on 0.49 & 0.53 rev DSPs.  I had
problems with 2.0.60 with Rockwell modems (so much so that I went back
to 2.0.19), and although the release notes indicate that there is still
an unresolved issue with 2.0.51 & Rockwell disconnects on the speed
shift, it's working much better.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark E. Levy, President
FSINet, Inc.
800-827-6085 x202
847-753-6832 fax
www.fsi.net
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

---

From: Christopher Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:08:03 +0000

Thanks-
I will try this on a card or two and see. We have problems with Rockwell
modems anyway-Compaqs and Macs-But suggest that the users update via softpaq
(for Compaqs) or go with v.34 (for Macs-most lines here are phone company
limited to 26400 anyway).

Will post any relevant data.

Christopher Berry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark E. Levy" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: (usr-tc) DSP Problems/Losing modems

-

---

From: Greg Coffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:16:42 +0000

The docs actually mention rev 54 & 55 for it.  I have put it on all of mine 
which are 53's and 54's with no ill effects so far.   Its been about a week.

>annoying bug until 3Com fixes it.

Thanks, Greg Coffey                     <[email-masked]>
Visionary Communications V 307-234-5443 F 307-234-5446
100 N. Center #100, Casper, WY  82601        www.vcn.com

-

---

From: Mike Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:12:49 +0000

2.0.51 works on my 0.53 rev modems just as well as it works on the 0.54
ones.  Same with 0.49, save one v.42bis related problem I mentioned
earlier -- and I'm 99.99% sure that has nothing to do with the fact that
I've got 2.0.51 on it.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * [email-masked] * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

-

---

From: Vincent Frallicciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:20:49 +0000

Hi,

I had the same problem so I upgraded to the latest code and it fixed the
problem.

Vince

>first modem lockup last night. Needless to say, this has been a great
Vincent

-

---

From: Vincent Frallicciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:27:44 +0000

Hi,

I am looking for a used Total Control Chasse with power supply no other
cards if you know some one who has one let me know.

Vince

[email-masked]
Vincent

-

---

From: Vincent Frallicciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:32:25 +0000

Hi,

Vince

[email-masked]
Vincent

-

---

From: Vincent Frallicciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:32:41 +0000

Hi,

Vince

[email-masked]
At 12:45 PM 1/12/00 -0700, you wrote:
>they get booted : ).   Suggestions and questions?   Thanks   Christopher
Berry
Vincent

-

---

From: Vincent Frallicciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:34:48 +0000

Hi,

Vince

[email-masked]
Vincent

-

---

From: Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:37:33 +0000

Vince,
Please refrain from such purely childish abuses of the usr-tc mailing
lists.

-- 
Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet <http://www.alpha1.net>
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x5645C228

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.

-