Subject: (usr-tc) ISDN dialin problem

From: Mark Thornton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 17:09:33 +0000

I have received a call from a Verizon tech concerning ISDN connection
problems from their territory. They have narrowed it down to a problem of
sending 10 vs. 7 digits in something they call a data table translation.
They have already communicated with the local telco who says their system is
set up to accept and pass either 7 or 10 digits. So the focus is now on me
to fix my system. I don't know what they are talking about and don't recall
ever seeing any configuration option that had to do with number of digits. I
don't want to screw up my existing connections either. Does anyone have an
idea what Verizon is talking about here?

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.
512-393-5300

-
 To unsubscribe to usr-tc, send an email to "[email-masked]"
 with "unsubscribe usr-tc" in the body of the message.
 For information on digests or retrieving files and old messages send
 "help" to the same address.  Do not use quotes in your message.

---

From: Veda Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:30:41 +0000

> set up to accept and pass either 7 or 10 digits. So the focus is now on

I guess they are taking about the number of digits the telco is sending.  
Typically makes sense in the T1 world.  In the HiPer DSP or the Quad modem 
setup you have something called the DFTM settings and where you can say the 
number of digits that you receive from the telco. If the number say on your DSP 
is set to say 7 and the telco sends 10 - your call may be disconnected, unless 
the client modem is smart enough to recognize the answer tones.

Again this setting is on the hiper DSP/Quad for the DTFM digits.  I am not sure 
why a ISDN call should matter with the digits - However the digits are setup in 
that section.  Change that setting on the DSP - should be on the span level 
configuration, and see if that helps.

> San Marcos Internet, Inc.

===========

-V

==========

-

---

From: "Mark A. Bialik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:36:25 +0000

> why a ISDN call should matter with the digits

I have heard this may be a problem when multiple area codes are local to
a region... not sure if it's true, but just what I've heard....

Mark

-